buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
TT is not going to give up on Brohm. He was a second rnd. pick. Hell if Ted Thompson hasn't given up on Harrel by now what makes you think he will give up on Brohm?

Brohm will be the 3rd qb(most every team needs 3), he will be inactive every week and be the emergency qb.

I am betting you will see him very little against Arizona, but he will play the majority of the game against Tn.

You can't expect every player drafted by The Packers to excell right away, sometimes guys look good in college and they get to the pros, and you find out they are going to need more time.

Brohm will be around another year, then hopefully he will show improvement and then he would be good trade bait for a team who needs a qb.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
68md
15 years ago
Couple of things here;
1. Flynn has a sprained shoulder that Mac says he thinks is more muscular. Tells me he isn't playing against the cards so Brohm is it this week.
If it's more then just a sprain we got issues !
2. We need someone to get reps ...Brooks Bollinger is out there and it's possible that the skins are willing to move Tyler Thigpen .

Do you gamble with Brohm or is it time to get a vet in here ASAP ?
Stevetarded
15 years ago
If Bollinger is the quality of Vet that's out there then you go with Brohm no question lol. There is no point in getting a "vet" backup just to say you have a guy with experience on your squad. If you pick one up he needs to at least have a shot at getting you a W if he has to play.
blank
mhartsellm
15 years ago
I can see both sides of this Brohm issue, and keep going back and forth on what would be best for the team. I guess the bottom line is we just have to trust MM's & TT's judgment. Some very tough calls to be made in the days ahead, can't wait to see how it all works out.
0Dogchaser
TheEngineer
15 years ago
http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/sports/463089 

Packers: Brohm thrust into larger role
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY The Green Bay Packers certainly gave third-string quarterback Brian Brohm a chance to show them what hes capable during Saturday nights 31-21 victory over the Buffalo Bills at Lambeau Field.

And as it turned out, he got an even greater opportunities after No. 2 quarterback Matt Flynn suffered a right shoulder injury.

Theyre competing for a position. We wanted to get a good look at Brian, Packers coach Mike McCarthy explained. I thought he had some opportunities tonight that really didnt present themselves last week. Now we have quality film on both of those guys and well keep evaluating.

Packers-Bills photo gallery
Rodgers delivers awesome air performance in win
Oates: Packers exhibit enough to impress
Packers notes: Offensive line answers may come soon
The good news for the Packers? Flynns shoulder should be OK, which they seemingly need it to be as Brohm showed improvement but probably not enough to close the gap between him and Flynn for the No. 2 job.

McCarthy inserted Brohm into the game with 9 minutes, 2 seconds left until halftime in relief of starter Aaron Rodgers, and before Flynn. Brohm responded by playing considerably better than he did in last weeks preseason opener against Cleveland, when he completed just 3 of 10 passes for 18 yards with two interceptions for a 0.0 passer rating although he did throw another interception.

Much better. I feel like I was able to establish a little bit of a rhythm out there, said Brohm, who completed 9 of his first 14 passes for 51 yards but threw his third interception of the preseason before giving way to Flynn with 1:09 left in the third quarter. Its definitely valuable to get that work and be in there with (second-string) guys that have been in the trenches before. Its good for me to get out there and get that experience. Im just grateful the coaches let me get in there early.

And, as it turned out, late. When Bills defensive end Copeland Bryan beat right tackle Breno Giacomini and drilled Flynn for a sack, Flynn injured his shoulder, which he said after the game was just a little bit sore.

It feels pretty good now. I just lost a little strength in it, said Flynn stayed in the game for two Kregg Lumpkin runs before the Packers punted. I really dont think its a big deal. Ill get some rest, get a little treatment and should be ready to go (for practice Monday night). If it was a regular-season game, I couldve thrown for sure.

With Flynn sidelined and Rodgers done for the night, Brohm ended up coming back in and helped secure the victory by directing the clinching touchdown drive, which ended with Tyrell Suttons 3-yard touchdown run with 2:51 to play. Brohm completed 3 of 5 passes for 32 yards, including a key 15-yard completion to JaRon Harris during the drive and finished the night having completed 12 of 19 attempts (63 percent) for 83 yards and an interception, for a rating of 51.0.

The interception came with 59 seconds left until halftime and with the Packers threatening to extend their lead after Brohm completed a 13-yard pass to Jordy Nelson and James Jones drew a 34-yard pass interference penalty. On second-and-13 from the Buffalo 24-yard line, Brohm overshot Nelson and Buffalos Reggie Corner, who was covering Ruvell Martin, picked off the overthrow.

The Packers got the ball back three plays later when Desmond Bishop recovered a Ryan Fitzpatrick fumble, but they had to settle for a 36-yard Mason Crosby field goal when Brohm and the offense went three-and-out.

I tried to force it in there a little bit. Jordy was covered kind of tight, I was trying to make the perfect throw put some extra steam on it and the ball sailed on me a little bit and the cornerback was right there to make the play, said Brohm, who last preseason completed just 19 of 42 passes for 155 yards, with one interception and a 45.2 rating to lose out to Flynn for the top backup job.

Its not just numbers. Last week there were obvoiusly some things I couldve done better, but overall I wasnt as bad as it appeared if you looked at the stat sheet. Im looking forward to getting in there and looking at the film and making some improvements.

blank
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

i really, honestly don't think he has it in him. i think at *best* Brohm will be able to get a few first downs and not turn the ball over

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

Which would be alright because that is exactly what the scouting report said on Brohm when he was drafted - that he would be a NFL system QB at best. Not every second round player is drafted to be a future pro-bowler, and for Brohm it is especially important to realize his skill set (not great arm strength but functional nonetheless, and great accuracy) is not conductive to him being a high-end NFL QB like Peyton, Brady, and such.

That said, I thought Brohm looked a little antsy yesterday. He's got happy feet, but the most concerning part of his games have been his lack of accuracy. That was his strongest point, but he is struggling with it now.

As Buckeye said, no way Ted Thompson gives up on a second rounder after a year. I honestly think Mike McCarthy wanted Brohm to get a chance with some better players - which is why he sent out Brohm in front of Flynn.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
RainX
15 years ago
Considering Rodgers is probably going to play into the 3rd quarter in Arizona this week, Flynn is probably going to get some rest so Brohm will probably see a lot of practice snaps with the second team and play the rest of the second half when they finally do pull Aaron.

Even despite Brohm's struggles, I do think as a whole he's playing better than he did a year ago. Admittedly, it's marginal improvement, but he probably sticks around on the roster another year as the inactive 3rd QB. I can't see Thompson giving up on guys like Lee or Brohm quite yet considering how long they've held onto Harrell as already mentioned.
blank
millertime
15 years ago

I'd give him another year or so. A-rodg didn't look good early in his career but look at him now.

"stevegb" wrote:

Exactly. Fake an injury and keep him on IR for a year.
gotarace
15 years ago

I wonder if the Packers will actively try and trade Brohm (and if that was the reason for him coming in before Flynn last night). I can't see them getting much at all for Brohm at this stage maybe a 5th/6th rounder might be generous, there's no way the Packers will get back a 2nd.

"masseyattack" wrote:

Maybe we can Bundle Brohm and Bustin Harrel as a package deal. I'm sure we could get a pack of gum and a used band aid for the pair of them.
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
Stevetarded
15 years ago
I don't have a problem with trading Brohm if they can get something useful for him. If not there really is no point in dumping him since hes just the 3rd string QB it isn't like we are counting on him to be productive and help us this season.
blank
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (2h) : Sources: Packers QB Jordan Love expected back vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (2h) : The NFL fined #Packers RB Josh Jacobs a whopping $45,020 for unnecessary roughness/use of helmet last week
Zero2Cool (27-Sep) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (27-Sep) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

27-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

27-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.