civic
  • civic
  • Member Topic Starter
a year ago

In a widely expected move, the Packers generated cap space by using max-void year restructures on Jaire Alexander (good for $9.456M) and Preston Smith ($6.668M) to free up a total of $16.123M in additional cap space.  Those moves, along with the max-void year restructure coupled with a $5M pay cut for Aaron Jones that generated $11.816M in cap savings, puts the Packers under the 2023 new league year salary cap limit.  The team is only under the new salary cap limit by $5.5M or so, or just under $2M after the Packers issue a second-round tender to restricted free agent Yosh Nijman, another widely expected move. 

Looking back at my last article, Packers Salary Cap in 2023 If Rodgers Were Traded , I listed the possible amounts the Packers could save using maximum restructures.  I listed Jones with a savings of $11.216M (it turned out to be $11.816M with the pay cut), Alexander with $9.456M (which came to fruition) and Preston Smith with $6.668M, which is what the team just wrung from his contract.  Here is the rest of that table:

Player

Amount

~

Player

Amount

Bakhtiari

$12.028M

Gary

$3.025M~

Clark

$11.068M

Campbell

$2.628M

Douglas

$3.336M

O'Donnell

$0.548M

Maximum contract adjustments involving those 6 players could total $32.623M more in cap relief.  [Gary is an estimate based on a contract extension instead of playing on his 5th-year option - I suppose the Packers could get a few million more if necessary and if Gary is cooperative as to his cash flow.]  There are ways to generate more cap savings, but they all would involve pay cuts or parting ways with the player in question.  
There will be no evidence of what the Packers' brain trust is thinking until the Packers adjust one or more of these contracts in a way that yields a significantly different number than I have noted in the table above.

The Packers eventually will need $5M or so for an in-season piggy bank, $3.456M for the PS, $1.5M for the 52nd and 53rd player contracts, perhaps $500K for practice squad elevations, a couple of hundred thousand for game active bonuses that might actually get earned, $3.907M (per Overthecap) to sign their draft picks, and $3.558M ($4.3M minus $750K) to tender Nijman at the 2nd-round level, and $849K in offseason workout charges.  That totals $19.17M.  Since the team is currently in the black by almost $5.5M,
the Packers need to find $13.67M more in cap savings, give or take.
  Under that scenario, the Packers would have options as to which contracts to adjust and by how much since they can generate $32.623M (some $18.95M more than the $13.67M they need to find) by restructuring those 6 players' contracts in the table above.  But wait, there's more!

Trading Aaron Rodgers decreases cap space by $9.44M ($8.69M plus $750K).  Moreover, the Packers presumably would receive a first-round pick, perhaps the 7th pick or the 13th pick.  OTC suggests the 7th picks' cap number will be $4.84M for 2023 while the 13th pick would cost $3.348M.  If the Packers were so fortunate as to also receive a second-round pick, pick 38 costs about $1.7M and pick 44 costs about $1.5M as estimated by Overthecap .  I cannot exactly quantify the cap ramifications of trading Rodgers, but a rough estimate might be $9.44M plus $3.5M to $6M for the draft picks, so around $13M to $15M?  Of course, perhaps the Packers receive just a second round pick this year and some conditional picks in 2024.  There isn't as much point to trading Rodgers if the team cannot sign the draft pick compensation. 

Trading Rodgers would reduce flexibility tremendously, though just in the short term.  For example, it might make it extremely difficult and perhaps impossible to trade Bakhtiari.  The Packers would save $5.7M on the cap by trading or releasing Bakhtiari, which is about $6.3M less than the table envisions in cap relief from his contract.  Trading him would make things tight, and if they got a first or second round pick for him, it would be difficult to sign that draft pick.  Perhaps the Packers could find a team willing to wait until June 2nd, and if Bakhtiari wanted out if Rodgers is traded, perhaps he would agree to wait for his roster bonus until June as well.  [I think the Packers want to keep Bakhtiari at present, though depending on how things go, they might consider trading him at prior to the trade deadline in 2023 or wait until 2024, hoping his knee holds up and he turns in an outstanding season.]

But wait, there's more!

As Ken Ingalls notes , the Packers have a number of free agents, and they played a lot of snaps.  Here is Ken's list with snaps (O/D/STs):

Player

Snaps

^

Player

Snaps

^

Player

Snaps

Amos

973/111

Lewis

451/68

Hollins

128/8

Lazard

Ford

442/108

Wilson

35/197

Nijman

756/66

Cobb

371/7

Ballentine

17/106

Reed

705/81

Nixon

289/231

Leavitt

0/308

Tonyan

591/3

Davis

174/346

Crosby

0/142

Lowry

482/18

Barnes

141/25

TOTAL

5,662/1,759

It looks like the Packers will be able to retain Rich Bisaccia as ST coordinator, so it would be nice to hold on to the players he used the most on special teams.  Leavitt, Wilson, Davis, Nixon and Ford all will cost more than the bottom seven players on the roster who make $750K each.  Nixon's cap number is likely to be $2.5M to $5M if he returns to the Packers.  The other four players are all veterans with minimums over $1M, so they probably would eat perhaps $1.5M in cap space if they all return.

The Packers are unlikely to rely solely on Clark, Wyatt and Slaton on the defensive line.  I don't know if they want Reed back, but I suspect they would like to have someone similar if he is not available.  Hollins also was interesting and useful, and might get a raise.  I suspect that Barnes will be allowed to leave because McDuffie looked at least as good. 

I have no idea how the Packers evaluate Lazard, Tonyan, Amos, Lewis, Cobb, or Reed while also being unsure of their market value. If the Packers trade Rodgers and get a high first round pick back this year, the team probably lacks the cap space for more than a couple of these players, and even then it would be the lower paid players. 

If the Rodgers plays for the Packers in 2023, the Packers if they choose to clear as much cap space as possible could re-sign some but not all of their free agents, or bring in some outside free agents.  Until Rodgers decides whether he wants to play at all, and until the Packers, probably with input from Rodgers, decide where he is going to play, fans will just have to wait. 

For now, expect more restructures, and for the maximum possible in salary cap savings.

Filed Under:

[URL=/blog/category/green-bay-packers-0" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Green Bay Packers[/URL]

[URL=/blog/category/featured" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Featured[/URL]

[URL=/blog/category/james-reynolds" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]James Reynolds[/URL]

NFL Categories:

[URL=/taxonomy/term/12336" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Green Bay Packers[/URL]

Tags:

[URL=/tag/salary-cap" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]salary cap[/URL]

[URL=/tag/roster-construction" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Roster Construction[/URL]

[URL=/blog/category/green-bay-packers" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Green Bay Packers[/URL]

0 points

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (9h) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

3h / GameDay Threads / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.