MintBaconDrivel
2 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. – The Green Bay Packers will face the New York Giants when they play their first-ever game in London on Oct. 9.

The league on Wednesday morning announced the five overseas matchups. The rest of the schedule will be unveiled on May 12.

Though they played preseason games in Toronto in 1997, Japan in 1998 and Winnipeg in 2019, this will mark the Packers’ first international game that counts. The league’s other 31 teams have played in London.

Green Bay will be the home team but isn’t losing a home game, per se. With the expanded 17-game schedule, which debuted last year, the Packers were set to play nine home games this season. With this one in London, the Packers instead will play at Lambeau Field eight times. That’s the same number of home games they’ve had every year since the strike-shortened season of 1982.

“The games in Green Bay are so important to the local economy that we’ve always been reluctant to give up a home game,” Packers President Mark Murphy said when it was announced in February that the team would play in London. “The other side is, in terms of when we’re the visiting team, we travel so well that teams that would be hosting us are reluctant to give up a home game against the Packers. But with the league move to the 17-game season, we knew this was a possibility and we’re really excited about it.”

The game will be played at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. When Miami and Jacksonville played there last season, 60,784 fans were in attendance. The stadium, while the Premier League home for Tottenham Hotspur, was designed specifically for NFL games and hosted its first professional football game in 2019.

The Packers had a number of inviting home games on the schedule to play overseas, including against the Super Bowl-champion Los Angeles Rams, Dallas Cowboys and Tennessee Titans. However, the early-morning nature of the London games – kickoff will be at 8:30 a.m. Central – means they’re not played in a prime viewing window in the United States.

Thus, most of the London games have been the equivalent of blood pudding rather than renowned fish and chips. A total of 30 games have been played in London. Exactly zero of them featured two teams that wound up making the playoffs that season. Last year’s games featured the Jaguars vs. the Dolphins and the Falcons vs. the Jets. Those teams went a combined 23-45 and were outscored by 576 points. Only 26.7 percent of the participants qualified for the playoffs.

With Aaron Rodgers back for a 15th season as Green Bay’s starter, at least the Packers figure to give the London fans a high-quality product.

While it stubbed its toe in the playoffs once again, Green Bay is coming off an unprecedented third consecutive season of 13 wins. Rodgers is the four-time MVP quarterback and Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon form one of the best running back tandems in the NFL. On the other side of the ball, the league’s ninth-ranked defense not only will return mostly intact but added first-round picks Quay Walker and Devonte Wyatt.

The Giants finished 4-13 last season and fired coach Joe Judge after two years on the job. Quarterback Danny Jones, the sixth pick in the 2019 draft, has thrown 21 touchdowns vs. 17 interceptions the past two seasons and finished 26th in passer rating last year. The defense, anchored by former Packers linebacker Blake Martinez, finished 23rd in points allowed.

However, they should be better in 2022 under new coach Brian Daboll after using the fifth overall pick on defensive end Kayvon Thibodeaux and the seventh overall pick on offensive tackle Evan Neal.

The Giants beat Miami 13-10 in London in the first-ever International Series game in 2007. They also beat the Rams in 2016.

Green Bay leads the all-time series 34-26-2, including 5-3 in the playoffs. The Giants won the first matchup, 6-0, on Oct. 7, 1928. Green Bay has won the last three meetings, including 31-13 on Dec. 1, 2019.

Continue Reading @ Sports Illustrated 

Sports Illustrated wrote:

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
I know it's great for the NFL brand but I am not very excited about it.
UserPostedImage
PackersNation
2 years ago
I like...

I want to see a sea of Green and Gold in the stands. Do us proud London! Let the world know that Packer Nation extends across the pond.
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
Packers will play the New York Giants at 8:30 a.m. CDT Oct. 9 in London and probably shafted with an early BYE. Wonderful.

What a waste. The NFL is just too greedy. Hockey is a better sport to watch anyway.
UserPostedImage
PackersNation
2 years ago

Packers will play the New York Giants at 8:30 a.m. CDT Oct. 9 in London

What a waste. The NFL is just too greedy. Hockey is a better sport to watch anyway.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

College and Olympic Hockey are great! NHL has lower viewership than Tennis. Vamos Rafa! Tennis is very underrated spectator sport.

Getting back to London. It's good for more than the NFL brand. It's good for the Green Bay Packers brand. So many Packers fans in the London area. Some have waited their whole lives to see a Packers game live in person.

Don't rain on their parade. They are one of us.

OneTeamOneNation

PackerNation!
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

College and Olympic Hockey are great! NHL has lower viewership than Tennis. Vamos Rafa! Tennis is very underrated spectator sport.

Getting back to London. It's good for more than the NFL brand. It's good for the Green Bay Packers brand. So many Packers fans in the London area. Some have waited their whole lives to see a Packers game live in person.

Don't rain on their parade. They are one of us.

OneTeamOneNation

PackerNation!

Originally Posted by: PackerNation 

The hell do I care about viewership when stating my enjoyment? Hockey is more fun to watch. Less commercials too. Gamblers. Penguins. HOCKEY TIME!

I'm not raining on their parada, it's London, it's already raining. As for those waiting whole life time to see Packers, the borders are open. Come help our economy.

I do think it is pretty neat for the players though. It's a "work" trip, but it still has to be an amazing experience to see a completely different culture.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
I was guessing it'd be one of the NYC teams, but I had Jets first.

Also, I'm still waiting for another team to give up a home game to let the Packers play over seas, I expected it to happen once by 2035 lol, teams really don't want to give up those Packers games at home lol
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I went to a boxing match years ago, and a hockey game broke out.🤪
UserPostedImage
Pugger
2 years ago

I was guessing it'd be one of the NYC teams, but I had Jets first.

Also, I'm still waiting for another team to give up a home game to let the Packers play over seas, I expected it to happen once by 2035 lol, teams really don't want to give up those Packers games at home lol

Originally Posted by: beast 

The Packers don't want to lose home games either! Home games are so important to the local economy.
beast
2 years ago

The Packers don't want to lose home games either! Home games are so important to the local economy.

Originally Posted by: Pugger 

And yet they did give up a home game for this ... as Giants were supposed to be one of the Packers 9 home games this season.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (18h) : rude
Mucky Tundra (18h) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
50m / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.