beast
2 years ago

And yet we'll still hear people saying DRAFT WR ROUND ONE!! As if it's some guarantee or something.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think there was a study done on success/failed 1st round picks by position, and if I remember correctly WR was the largest 1st round fail rate, though I think that was partly due to them over drafting the position, as more WRs were taken than other positions, but as you mentioned, then teams also found better ones in later rounds, as I think in part teams focus too much on combine and physical potential and not enough on the tape.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

I think there was a study done on success/failed 1st round picks by position, and if I remember correctly WR was the largest 1st round fail rate, though I think that was partly due to them over drafting the position, as more WRs were taken than other positions, but as you mentioned, then teams also found better ones in later rounds, as I think in part teams focus too much on combine and physical potential and not enough on the tape.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I wouldn't mind if the Packers wait to take a WR. Nearly every 1st round WR prospect has issues.

UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago

I wouldn't mind if the Packers wait to take a WR. Nearly every 1st round WR prospect has issues.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Gute doesn't like waiting, he likes trading up...

But there are some players I think fans are overlooking, and might go in round one and everyone will scream reach, but their physical potential is elite, even if their hype is not...

Such as WR Christian Watson

I'm just wondering what will be our non-WR picks.

DT, Edge, OL, S, TE?
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
2 years ago

I'm just wondering what will be our non-WR picks.

DT, Edge, OL, S, TE?

Originally Posted by: beast 

I would also guess they'll draft a CB on day 3 for depth/ST/long term project since there's a drop off after Jaire/Stokes/Douglas with Sullivan/King looking like they're gone.

I've read on Twitter that GB has talked to Seattle about Lockett and Metcalf.

For remaining FA, it looks like it's down to Landry or Watkins.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Cheesey
2 years ago
Pointing out that some great WRs have been picked in later rounds doesn't mean you can wait and pick one in later rounds and be guaranteed a great player.
For every one picked that turn out great, there are a dozen that don't end up being great.
Of course there are also many first round ones that don't pan out either.
If a WR that your GM feels can be the guy, you pick him. If that's in the first round, then pull the trigger.
You have to trust your draft guys that go over the college players. And then hope like heck that they were right.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Pointing out that some great WRs have been picked in later rounds doesn't mean you can wait and pick one in later rounds and be guaranteed a great player.
For every one picked that turn out great, there are a dozen that don't end up being great.
Of course there are also many first round ones that don't pan out either.
If a WR that your GM feels can be the guy, you pick him. If that's in the first round, then pull the trigger.
You have to trust your draft guys that go over the college players. And then hope like heck that they were right.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

The reason it is pointed out is because so many around the league bemoan the Packers for NOT drafting a WR in round one as if it was a guarantee lock he'd be a stud. Same people complain the Packers haven't done enough for the defense and thus wasting Aaron Rodgers.

There is no guarantee, we all konw that, but when you can choose from 300 guys vs 100 guys, you should have better odds of getting a good prospect to develop. It just seems WR's in 2nd and 3rd round seem to have a higher success rate than those in the 1st round. Why? I have no idea.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
Why? The draft is a crap shoot
College greatness isn't a guarantee of NFL greatness.
Too many variables.
Who was their college QB? Their coach? Their level of compatition? And so on.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

Why? The draft is a crap shoot
College greatness isn't a guarantee of NFL greatness.
Too many variables.
Who was their college QB? Their coach? Their level of compatition? And so on.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I got into a little beef on the Tweeter about something similar when folks were talking Davante Adams and Derek Carr broke college football records. My response was where are those guys they played against and set those records against? They're selling insurance or sitting in office as stock brokers, lol. Point being, I can set a crap ton of records too against elementary school kids. It doesn't mean I'm going to blow it up in the NFL.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
2 years ago
For the people talking about Metcalf I think you should step back a little and look at the big picture. We probably have to give up a 1st and 2nd or 3rd to get him. He has already showed his TO temper a few times which honestly I don't mind emotion on the sideline (would be nice to see in GB sometime) but the biggest thing is he is coming into his contract year next season. So we will be back in the same boat do we fork out a ton of cash and not sign players or let him walk and we wasted 2 picks on him. I dont think any of the other wideouts are worth the money like Julio and Landy and if they were they would be signed already. I did see maybe a trade with Miami for Devante Parker wouldnt be to bad as I think we could get him for a 2nd or maybe a 3rd as they are loaded at receiver now and he will be 4th on their chart.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
2 years ago
I want us to draft WRs. Let's get Christian Watson, Alec Pierce. Take a late round chance on Tanner Conner and Britain Covey. We need cheap stars at the moment.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (7h) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (9h) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (12h) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.