longtimefan
15 years ago

I hear that Gregg Williams, the defensive coordinator of the Jaguars, will not make a decision on where to coach next season until he learns the fate of current Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz in his quest to become a head coach.

Tennessee would be a great option for Williams, who would love to return there.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/national-football-post-tavern-talk-94/ 
shield4life
15 years ago
Yeah I read that too ... anyways hope phily gets eliminated this week.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
15 years ago
The Lions control our fate? I'm going to go hang myself...
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
If Williams blew away Mike McCarthy in his approach and interview sessions, I think this would have been resolved already.

When the Packers made the decision on Sanders, one of the first items of business would have been setting a budget and plan in place for hiring the next DC; allowing the Packers to move quickly if the right candidate presented himself.

I think both Mike McCarthy and indirectly Ted know how important this hire and move are to the Packers future and theirs.

These two have shown themselves to be patient and at times plodding in their decision making.. why would anyone think this to be any different.

As much as I think it is important to seal this up quickly and give the scouting department parameters to look for in targeting players both in free agency and the draft.. I expect this decision to drag along for a while.

Status quo with these two.. I expect them to do the same the entire offseason.. which would dissolve the talks about them becoming urgent.

More often than not, the slow handed approach works, but their are times when you have to move quickly and pull the trigger.. is this a case to become urgent.. each to their own opinion.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

More often than not, the slow handed approach works, but their are times when you have to move quickly and pull the trigger.. is this a case to become urgent.. each to their own opinion.

"pack93z" wrote:

My opinion: If they drag it out to the point where we simply promote Moss - even if that was the plan all along - it'll be more bad P.R. that Mike and Ted don't need.

I think public opinion (even rational public opinion) is pretty clear, and that opinion seems to be that more of the same isn't going to get the job done. I'm not advocating that they just cave to that, but the reality is that if they just plod along, end up doing something like promoting Moss and getting 1-3 low-tier FAs and the like, they better hope like crazy that the team turns it around next year, because they're going to be sitting on some warm chairs.

More of my opinion: I think they don't like Williams, or Williams is putting everyone on hold until he finds out what's going to happen in TN. If he was the clear choice (and I wish he was; his track record of making great defenses is pretty obvious) I think we would have offered him the job.

My next guess is maybe someone like Haz, but more likely they're targeting McDermott. But I do hope they've got some indication he'd be seriously interested, because we're for sure not the only team that wants to talk to him.

I'm okay with patience, but not to the point where we're picking off the scrap heap every time we need a piece for the team. That's a little frustrating, from a fan perspective.
blank
15 years ago
Related news at PFT 

If the Detroit Lions decide to hire Miami Dolphins assistant head coach/secondary coach Todd Bowles as their new head coach after he interviewed for the second time Tuesday, at least he has significant working experience at massive rebuilding projects.

Bowles helped the Dolphins evolve from 1-15 a year ago into an 11-5 AFC East champion this season.

As part of the Lions process with job candidates, Bowles followed the same format that Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz did on Monday and met with Detroit reporters. As Booth Newspapers Lions beat writer Tom Killer Kowalski details, Bowles knows what hes getting himself into.

The blueprint we have is to change the culture, Bowles said. The first thing you have to do is condition you have to condition the players mentally. They have to buy into the system. The second part is emotionally, youve got to get them to forget about 1-15 or 0-16. When we were in Miami last year, we were 1-15, but what was brought to the players was were trying to win the AFC East.

When youre 1-15, mentally, youre damaged. I dont care how you slice it. Between the media, you losing every week and your neighbors calling you losers, your damaged mentally. Youve got to get past that mental part and you have to get down to work and you have to give them a goal to shoot for and thats winning the NFC North.

Bowles, who would like to transform the Lions 4-3 defensive scheme into a 3-4, said hes scheduled to interview with the St. Louis Rams later this week. In a room filled with Michigan reporters, of course, Bowles said he prefers the Lions job.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
There is a rumor going around that an offer was made to Williams by GB, and it was BIG bucks. It will get interesting if the Titans DC isn't offered the Lions HC job, so keep your fingers crossed.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago
On another note.. you can cross the Texans off Williams list of possibilities.

TEXANS HIRE FRANK BUSH AS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR

The Houston Texans announced today that senior defensive assistant Frank Bush was promoted to defensive coordinator, a development that follows Richard Smith being fired after the season.

Bush, 46, was the lone candidate to interview for the job after the Texans request to interview Washington Redskins assistant Jerry Gray was denied last week. Texans beat writer John McClain referenced the league rule that states NFL teams are within their rights to deny permission for an assistant under contract unless the interview is for a head-coaching position.

McClain predicts that Kansas City Chiefs secondary coach David Gibbs, the son of assistant head coach/offense Alex Gibbs, could be hired as the new secondary coach. Gibbs interviewed for the job Monday.

A former Houston Oilers all-rookie linebacker whose career was ended prematurely by a congenital spinal defect, Bush has worked in the NFL for 24 years as a player, scout and assistant coach.

"PFTalk" wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
warhawk
15 years ago

There is a rumor going around that an offer was made to Williams by GB, and it was BIG bucks. It will get interesting if the Titans DC isn't offered the Lions HC job, so keep your fingers crossed.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I think this is a good statement because it is just a tidbit of info that reflects the fact we the fans out here don't know SQUAT what is going on behind the lines.

Conjecture that McCarthy isn't doing this or that or enough or whatever is just that. CONJECTURE. Nobody here has any idea of what is going on in McCarthy's office as we speak.

What we do know is a couple of guys they like are in the running for HC jobs and one is still in the playoffs. If those are the top three on McCarthy's list why would he drop down and hire the fourth candidate which would probably be Moss before seeing what happens when Moss is probably still there down the line?
"The train is leaving the station."
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I'll add a bit more:

Rumour has it that on Jan 8, Williams was offered the job, complete with a contract that would make him the highest paid DC in the NFL.

He still hasn't replied. Once again, rumour has it that Williams would prefer to land in Tennessee or New Orleans instead of with the Pack.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (5h) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (8h) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (9h) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.