GermanGilbert
15 years ago
only one bad news: he left green bay without a contract :ramboface:
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
After doing some more reading, I'm going to toss in my vote for Gregg Williams. I like his track record. So what if he doesn't have a history with Mike McCarthy? He has a history of proven results, and that's what we need in Green Bay.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago

After doing some more reading, I'm going to toss in my vote for Gregg Williams. I like his track record. So what if he doesn't have a history with Mike McCarthy? He has a history of proven results, and that's what we need in Green Bay.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Are you sure? I bet I have read everything you have. I think it does boil down to the meeting between them, as they have never talked. I gotta stick with my Nolan plan (previously unannounced, btw) until proven otherwise.
longtimefan
15 years ago
This is taking along time and I am glad!!

Shows that they really are taking their time (at least that is my hope )
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
I just realized Gregg Williams shares the same first name as a certain WR who wears #85.

That surely can't be a bad thing...

In all seriousness though, does Greg Williams have aspirations of being a HC soon? Because I'd rather get a coach who'll stay here a couple of years at least and build his scheme.

Compared to Williams, Nolan might not be one to get consideration for HC jobs given his failure in San Fran, so that might make Nolan more attractive.

Either way, it seems Mike McCarthy is intent on hiring one of two more experienced and successful DCs available. All I can say is it's about darn time.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Greg C.
15 years ago
Here's the good news, AADP: Williams sucked just as much as Nolan as a head coach (Buffalo, 2001-2003), so he is not likely to become a hot HC candidate anytime soon either.

From what I've read, I lean more toward Williams, but they're both strong candidates, and I suspect McCarthy will make his final decision based on factors that we're not even aware of, like how he gets along with them personally. I do hope we get one of the two. They are the most sought-after candidates out there, so that's not guaranteed.
blank
longtimefan
15 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37372354.html 

Green Bay - It is nearing decision time for Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy.

The direction his team will take in the coming years could depend on whom he chooses to be his next defensive coordinator, a choice that probably isn't as clear as he had hoped.

On Friday, McCarthy spent the day with longtime defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, according to a spokesman at agent Marvin Demoff's office. Williams, lately of the Jacksonville Jaguars but now a free agent in search of a new start, interviewed Thursday in New Orleans before meeting with McCarthy at the Packers' offices.

The interview came a day after McCarthy met with former San Francisco 49ers head coach and past coaching associate Mike Nolan.

Sources said McCarthy wanted to interview the top available coordinators. Now that he has done so, he has the option of offering one of the two a job or waiting to see if an assistant from a playoff team becomes available after this weekend.

The assistant most coveted is Philadelphia secondary coach Sean McDermott, whose team plays Sunday against the New York Giants. He will not become available for interview until the Eagles are out of the playoffs.

McCarthy has to decide whether he wants to hire someone with whom he has no past history (Williams) or someone whom he knows quite well (Nolan). The Saints got first shot at Williams and might have made an offer right away.

But Williams, 50, wanted to find out what the Packers have to offer.

In Green Bay, he would be given almost full autonomy with the defense, not to mention a strong secondary that would allow him to play some of the pressure packages that he enjoys using. Both the Saints and the Packers have high-scoring offenses that would ease the pressure of having to come in as a savior.

By most accounts, Williams did not have full autonomy in Jacksonville under coach Jack Del Rio, whose experience is on defense. Williams' unit did not play very well, but in four seasons in Washington he had much more success.

A big part of McCarthy's criteria, according to sources, is that his coordinator be able to adapt to the talent the team has. He is not locked into running a 3-4 or a 4-3 scheme. It is more important for him to find someone who can be flexible with defensive schemes.

The Nolan interview probably wasnt near as in depth as the one with Williams because the two coached together for a year in San Francisco. Still, there are things McCarthy has to know about with Nolan, such as how Nolan would use some of the in-house talent and which assistant coaches he would recommend hiring.

Nolan, who McCarthy worked under for a year in San Francisco, has been thought to be the leading candidate, but sources said McCarthy was intrigued with Williams and wanted to find out whether he would be a good fit with the Packers. Both are former head coaches who probably haven't given up on obtaining another shot at the helm.

Money could be an issue, considering Williams was the highest-paid coordinator in the league when he was with Washington. Nolan still has a year left on his contract with San Francisco and the Packers can hire him knowing the 49ers will have to supplement his pay so that it's equal with what he would have received this year if he were still head coach.

So far, no other team has publicly expressed its interest in Nolan, but that might be because everyone anticipates him getting the job with the Packers. He might be drawing interest behind the scenes, and once teams with vacant head coaching positions start filling those spots, both he and Williams could draw much more interest.

There have been rumors that Houston was interested in Williams, but so far nothing has materialized.

LambeauEast
15 years ago
Take your time, MM....just not TOO much time.
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
I'm really pushing for Gregg Williams. I won't be pissed if we get Nolan, but my vote is definitely going to Greggorious the 2nd.
UserPostedImage
ChilliMaddensChilli
15 years ago

I'm really pushing for Gregg Williams. I won't be pissed if we get Nolan, but my vote is definitely going to Greggorious the 2nd.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Seconded. The guy just knows how to build top defenses.

If we throw enough money at him I could see him staying for 3+ years.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers have released kicker Jack Podlesny.
Zero2Cool (23h) : I saw that today. I actually thought he passed away few years ago. 24 time All Star.
Martha Careful (19-Jun) : sad news tonight. Willie Mays passes away. He was the greatest of all time
Martha Careful (16-Jun) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.