porky88
15 years ago
Gregg Williams is a respected coach in the league and I wouldn't mind him, but I think I rather have Mike Nolan. I like the fact that Mike Nolan and Mike McCarthy are familiar with one another and I think they're working relationship would be a positive impact on the locker room and the way the team plays.

Both can run multiple schemes though which is a positive.
minnypacker
15 years ago
I prefer Williams over Nolan simply because we would need to run a 4-3 for the next year or two as the talent would turnover. Nolan is more of a 3-4 guy. So why take a person's strengths and shelve them for a couple years unless you are in a full rebuilding mode?

Williams strength is a 4-3 and requires less roster modifications.

Ever think that Ted Thompson doesn't want to run a 3-4 and doesn't want or know how to stock talent for a 3-4? I'm purely speculating.
Pack93z
15 years ago
I really care less whom the Packers hire, as long as the guy is about tailoring the defense to the talent at hand..

Care less if we run a 3-4, 4-3, 46, or whatever.. match the alignment to the talent now and going forward..

Flexibility, adjusting and varied.. whomever can bring it and keep the troops on the same page is fine with me..

Lombardi's take..

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/national-football-post-tavern-talk-93/ 

FIVE THINGS I KNOW.

1. I know that Gregg Williams would be able to tailor his scheme to the Packers and make them a better defense. Hes an outstanding coach, and the Packers personnel fits well into what he wants from a defense.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
15 years ago
Another opinion..

If the choice for Green Bay's next defensive coordinator is between Gregg Williams and Mike Nolan, then there really is no choice. "To me, Nolan has always been more style than substance," said a scout for another team. "He has the family name, the good looks and the stylish suits, but other than a couple of very good seasons with the Ravens, what's he really accomplished? And let's face it, coordinating a top 10 defense in Baltimore hasn't been all that difficult since Ray Lewis and Ed Reed arrived. Williams, on the other hand, has built top 10 defenses with numerous teams - none of which possessed two future Hall of Famers. In my opinion, the Packers would be a legitimate Super Bowl contender in 2009 with Williams on the coaching staff. I couldn't make that same statement about Nolan."

Truth be told, it's unlikely that anybody - including Mike McCarthy - could honestly make a case that Nolan is a better coordinator than Williams. So why is the former 49ers head coach the perceived frontrunner? "McCarthy has a very good relationship with Nolan, and in the NFL, that usually trumps everything else," said the scout. "Plus, Williams can be stubborn and a bit arrogant at times. That's not what McCarthy wants in an assistant. He likes to surround himself with egoless coaches, and while Nolan's no shrinking violet, he has better people skills and is more willing to listen to the ideas of others."

"PackerUpdate" wrote:

More... 
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago

Lombardi's take..

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/national-football-post-tavern-talk-93/ 

FIVE THINGS I KNOW.

1. I know that Gregg Williams would be able to tailor his scheme to the Packers and make them a better defense. Hes an outstanding coach, and the Packers personnel fits well into what he wants from a defense.

"pack93z" wrote:

This much I wholeheartedly agree with. Given Williams' track record of producing quality defensive units with little-to-no talent, it's not the biggest stretch in the world to think he could do some good things with our group. And if Ted goes out and picks up some more talent, the potential gets even better.

Other than that, I agree w/ you, 93z - I'm much less worried about the guy's name or the scheme he prefers than I am about flexibility, creativity, and the ability to tailor whatever the scheme is to the players he has on hand.
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I don't care if we hire dhazer for our DC as long as we get in the QB's face and put up a damn fight at the end of games instead of mimicking that of a power puff girl defense.

Show some damn fight team, kick some ass, get a late hit now and then or unnecessary roughness. I don't' give a damn, just fuck people up!! Make them know you won't take any shit.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago

I don't care if we hire dhazer for our DC as long as we get in the QB's face and put up a damn fight

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

+1 for that!
UserPostedImage
wils0646
15 years ago
McCarthy just interviewed Gregg Williams today.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37365029.html 

McCarthy finishing interview with Williams
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel
Jan. 9, 2009 6:17 p.m.

Green Bay -- Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy met with former Jacksonville Jaguars defensive coordinator Gregg Williams Friday, a day after interviewing former San Francisco head coach Mike Nolan.

McCarthy had been pursuing an interview with Williams all week, but was unable to find a time that worked for both parties until today. Williams was at the Packers' facility all day, according to his agent, Marvin Demoff, but as of late afternoon he had not reported back to tell Demoff how things went.

The interview was critical for McCarthy, who has to decide whether he wants to hire someone with whom he has no past history (Williams) or someone with whom he knows quite well (Nolan).

Williams interviewed in New Orleans on Thursday and then flew to Green Bay to meet with McCarfthy. The Saints got the first shot at Williams and may have attempted to lock him up before he left, but Williams wants to find out what the Packers have to offer.

It's unclear if McCarthy will make his decision quickly or wait until after the weekend when there could be a couple of assistant coaches in the playoffs available for interview. All along it has been thought that Nolan was the leading candidate, but sources said McCarthy was very intrigued with Williams and wanted to find out whether they would be a good fit together.

A big part of McCarthy's requirement, according to sources, is that his coordinator is able to adapt to the talent the team has. He is not locked into running a 3-4 or a 4-3 scheme. It is more important for him to find someone who can be multiple with his defensive schemes.

The Nolan interview probably wasn't near as in depth as the one with Williams because the two coached together for a year in San Francisco. Still, there are things McCarthy has to know about with Nolan, such as how he would use some of the in-house talent and which assistant coaches he would recommend hiring., but

So far, no other team has expressed publicly its interest in Nolan, but that might be because everyone anticipates him getting the job with the Packers. He may be drawing interest behind the scenes.

Williams has drawn interest from the Saints and Packers. The Houston Texans were thought to be another team interested, but they seem likely to promote from within.

If McCarthy is going to offer the job to either Nolan or Williams, he probably won't want to wait much past the middle of next week. Once teams with vacant head coaching positions start filling those spots, the competition for coordinators will be far greater than it is now.

:wav:
The Pack Will Be Back.
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Well I'm glad to hear that he interviewed him...

I would love to have a 3-4, 4-3 hybrid. According to that article, both of the coordinators can do that.
UserPostedImage
porky88
15 years ago

I really care less whom the Packers hire, as long as the guy is about tailoring the defense to the talent at hand..

Care less if we run a 3-4, 4-3, 46, or whatever.. match the alignment to the talent now and going forward..

Flexibility, adjusting and varied.. whomever can bring it and keep the troops on the same page is fine with me..

Lombardi's take..

FIVE THINGS I KNOW.

"pack93z" wrote:

I completely agree with you and what you described is what I see with both Mike Nolan and Gregg Williams so I think either or GB is in good shape.

Better than before at least.

Though as the article you posted in the other post suggested, a good working relationship could be the decider and I think that gets underplayed so much. I think the 85 Bears and 90's Cowboys are the only teams that were able to overcome poor working relationships inside their respective organization and win a Super Bowl. I like the Packers overall talent, but they don't have that type of talent that the Bears and Cowboys had.

Mike Shanahan, Bill Belichick, Dick Vermeil, Bill Cohwer, Tom Coughlin, Mike Holmgrem, and Tony Dungy all had good working relationships with their coaches.

See the pattern. If Gregg Williams were to direct away from McCarthy's wanted approach and a rift would be caused then more bad than good could happen.

Then again sometimes you have to be bold and both hires appear to be bold.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (6h) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (8h) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (9h) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.