uffda udfa
10 years ago
Part of me believes that the Packers are only planning on signing ONE of the two WR's. Nelson is 28, so his window of excellence is closing soon. Meanwhile, Randall's just a kid.

I believe the Packers are going to have to make a choice between the two.

If you had to pick, which one would you keep?

Based on the age factor, alone, I would take Randall Cobb hands down. If Jordy goes, then do we really have a #1 WR in Green Bay? Is Jordy or RC18 really capable of being #1's? It seems to me we have a bunch of very good WR's with none being "great".

Jordy deserves a last contract with Green Bay. He would seem to be the next Greg Jennings...a guy who is approaching 30 who has been stellar but we refuse to put the big bucks into. However, Jennings did spurn our offer of a fair long term deal. Maybe, Jordy will take the type of deal Jennings felt wasn't good enough for him?

I can't imagine Randall going. Too young...too much talent.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

gbguy20
10 years ago
If both were the same age, I'd pick Jordy. I think we keep both, however.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Jordy Nelson - 6'3" 215 lbs 28 years old
Randall Cobb - 5'10" 191 lbs 23 years old

Good question and if this doesn't spark a good debate, we fans have failed, lol.

Jordy Nelson has several years of his prime still accessible to him. You can figure around 32 is when a WR will start to decline. I see Nelson signing a 4 year deal in the neighborhood of $30 million. Remember, Packers reportedly offered Greg Jennings ~$10 million per year and scoffed as he 'knew' he would get $13 million per year in free agency.

Nelson feels he is overpaid RIGHT NOW. Does that mean he won't break the bank? No.

Nelson has said several times he does not like the attention he gets and hates the spotlight on him.

On point to the topic. I would choose Jordy Nelson. Randall Cobb is not that rare as we exaggerate him to be.

Nelson = that threat that can score from anywhere with great hands and runs good routes

Cobb = more of a possession WR that catches 100+ balls averaging 11.9 yards a catch
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

Part of me believes that the Packers are only planning on signing ONE of the two WR's. Nelson is 28, so his window of excellence is closing soon. Meanwhile, Randall's just a kid.

I believe the Packers are going to have to make a choice between the two.

If you had to pick, which one would you keep?

Based on the age factor, alone, I would take Randall Cobb hands down. If Jordy goes, then do we really have a #1 WR in Green Bay? Is Jordy or RC18 really capable of being #1's? It seems to me we have a bunch of very good WR's with none being "great".

Jordy deserves a last contract with Green Bay. He would seem to be the next Greg Jennings...a guy who is approaching 30 who has been stellar but we refuse to put the big bucks into. However, Jennings did spurn our offer of a fair long term deal. Maybe, Jordy will take the type of deal Jennings felt wasn't good enough for him?

I can't imagine Randall going. Too young...too much talent.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

It is a difficult choice. Something tells me Ted will keep both, even if his drafting 3 WRs last week gives him some leverage in negotiations should they wish to stay in GB...

I'm a huge Jordy Nelson fan, and I cannot see letting him walk. I also like Cobb, a great, true slot guy. Maybe Adams or Abbrecadabara can step into that role.

Keeping this cupboard stocked by keeping them both is not a bad way to go for Thompson. Never know what can crop up on the injury front. That would insure zero drop off should something happen.

Right now, I can't pick one over the other.
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
I sorta wondered about this with the barrage of WRs drafted. Ultimately I go with Jordy. While older, he can play outside as well as slot. He's our best deep threat and in terms of speed probably in the same ballpark as Cobb.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
play2win
10 years ago
I'm leaning towards Nelson over Cobb as well. Jordy Nelson is a security blanket. Randall Cobb is not. With their adding 3 WRs this draft, maybe Ted already has his mind made up that he will pay one, and either let the other walk for trade him. Those are big dollar contracts. With the talent on this team, it might be prohibitive to keep both. Ted Thompson could very well have decided this before the draft even started, knowing it was a very deep WR class... and he took advantage of it. No doubt.
hardrocker950
10 years ago
That is a tough one. I would have to go with Jordy. The one thing that stands out with him is his freakish ability to catch on the sidelines and in traffic. Cobb can do those things as well, but Nelson does it better (imo).
Laser Gunns
10 years ago
I. CANT. CHOOOOOSE!

Side note:

I just wanna see Jordy, abracadabra, and Janis on the field at the same time.

Cuz.

White.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
I have been thinking about this too. They compliment each other. If I have to choose only one I go with Cobb. My wife will take Jordy and has told me I have to get her his jersey.
UserPostedImage
luigis
10 years ago
I think we keep both but if I have to choose then it's very easy because Jordy is the best WR in the league.

Luis
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (8h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (8h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.