Zero2Cool
11 years ago

The Green Bay Packers seem to have everything a professional football team could ever want:

[list]

• An innovative offense directed by a likeable but no-nonsense head coach and quarterbacked by a 29-year-old superstar.

• A multifaceted, young, athletic defense.

• A front office led by a respected former NFL player (team president Mark Murphy), along with a venerated general manager: Ted Thompson, a keen talent evaluator who has at his disposal one of the best scouting departments in football. In the last four years, three of his top executives—John Schneider, Reggie McKenzie and John Dorsey—have been named general managers.

• A quaint hometown where fans’ loyalty is deep and unwavering, and where the pressure to win is palpable but not suffocating.

• A rich history that includes not just 13 world championships (dating to 1929), but also a Super Bowl victory and a 15-win regular season within the last three years.[/list]

• In a testament to the NFL’s fine line between good and great, these near-perfect Packers—who were perhaps better-stocked a year ago—are coming off a fairly underwhelming 11-5 season, in which their offense was not razor sharp (falling from first to fifth in scoring and third to 13th in yardage) and their defense uncharacteristically got out-schemed and embarrassed in a 45–31 divisional round loss at San Francisco.

Thus, Green Bay’s motif this year is “bouncing back.” Make no mistake, though: This club is primed to do some extraordinary things in 2013.

MMQB  wrote:

UserPostedImage
    play2win
    11 years ago
    I agree. Somehow, we've been able to land what looks to be a very effective rushing tandem in Lacy and Franklin. We've been able to find what looks to be a diamond in the rough as a starting LT in Bakhtiari. We've been able to add competent WR depth and TE depth at the bottom of our roster. We're experimenting with Patrick Lewis at both LG and C, and he looks to be holding up quite well, for a team in need of quality depth at C.

That is a lot of new talent added to a already potent offense. Quite possibly 3 steals from the 2013 draft and UDFA class on that side of the ball.

Add possibly 3 or 4 more steals on defense with the additions of Datone Jones, Micah Hyde, Sam Barrington, Andy Mulumba, and the signing of one Johnny Jolly. Wow.

A lot has to come together, as we've had some significant losses to injury and FA, but it looks like this new talent could help make this Packers team far better than 2011-2012.
    Dulak
    11 years ago

I agree. Somehow, we've been able to land what looks to be a very effective rushing tandem in Lacy and Franklin. We've been able to find what looks to be a diamond in the rough as a starting LT in Bakhtiari. We've been able to add competent WR depth and TE depth at the bottom of our roster. We're experimenting with Patrick Lewis at both LG and C, and he looks to be holding up quite well, for a team in need of quality depth at C.

That is a lot of new talent added to a already potent offense. Quite possibly 3 steals from the 2013 draft and UDFA class on that side of the ball.

Add possibly 3 or 4 more steals on defense with the additions of Datone Jones, Micah Hyde, Sam Barrington, Andy Mulumba, and the signing of one Johnny Jolly. Wow.

A lot has to come together, as we've had some significant losses to injury and FA, but it looks like this new talent could help make this Packers team far better than 2011-2012.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

ya Im feeling a bit less 'bad' about losing woodson, drivers, Jennings, bishop ... although - our WRs still may be a little weaker and our DBs too our other positions look improved.

And plus we got young guys to train up so they could be better then what we had ... finley sure looked like a different dude out there - we might have to pay him again next year
    play2win
    11 years ago
    Yeah Dulak, its kind of funny. All those guys you mentioned, Woodson, Driver, Jennings and Bishop, they are all pretty much done. We saw their play and health decline since winning the Super Bowl 2010, in every case. Driver is retired. Woodson still has a little left in him, but not at the money he would have wanted to stay. Jennings will prove that Rodgers really made him better, now that he has Ponder throwing to him. I bet his receiving yards will be under 700 with MIN. And then there is Bishop, who I could easily see being cut.

Meanwhile, Ted Thompson had what may very well be his best draft ever. We may be more talented than ever in his tenure. Lots of proving to do though. We will see.
    DoddPower
    11 years ago
    The 2013 draft class is looking like it could be a "great" one. Definitely impressive. Almost every pick looks good, and some look very good.
    musccy
    11 years ago
    I'm nervous about WR depth, most of the OL, and much of the front 7 still has a lot to prove. People are optimistic about Franklin, but McGinn (I believe) just had an article over the weekend about how he's been quite underwhelming thus far.

With that said, Lacy really does look like the real deal, Finley is giving me some hope, and Bakahrti and D. Jones also appear to be great pick ups. I also can't wait to see Cobb's continued growth.

Dulak
    11 years ago

I'm nervous about WR depth, most of the OL, and much of the front 7 still has a lot to prove. People are optimistic about Franklin, but McGinn (I believe) just had an article over the weekend about how he's been quite underwhelming thus far.

With that said, Lacy really does look like the real deal, Finley is giving me some hope, and Bakahrti and D. Jones also appear to be great pick ups. I also can't wait to see Cobb's continued growth.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I agree about franklin - so far I havnt seen much to warrant him being the 2nd coming as a back for us. Ok he can run a bit and they put him on some ST returns ... but starks and green appear to be doing just as well as him in the running game.

Lacy looks better then the rest so far.

I am also concerned about our WR depth - as long as nelson and cobb come back ok - then ok then ... but if not ... I think we will be struggling a bit.
    nerdmann
    11 years ago

I agree about franklin - so far I havnt seen much to warrant him being the 2nd coming as a back for us. Ok he can run a bit and they put him on some ST returns ... but starks and green appear to be doing just as well as him in the running game.

Lacy looks better then the rest so far.

I am also concerned about our WR depth - as long as nelson and cobb come back ok - then ok then ... but if not ... I think we will be struggling a bit.

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

They've overthrown Franklin on some screens.

Lacy and Starks are your up the middle/between the tackles guys.

Franklin, Green and Harris are the guys you wanna get out in space with some blockers in front. Anyone of these guys can make the first man miss and then accelerate to the house.

I question Green's vision at times, he's got a little Ryan Grant in him. But I'd keep all 5.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    Mucky Tundra
    11 years ago

They've overthrown Franklin on some screens.

Lacy and Starks are your up the middle/between the tackles guys.

Franklin, Green and Harris are the guys you wanna get out in space with some blockers in front. Anyone of these guys can make the first man miss and then accelerate to the house.

I question Green's vision at times, he's got a little Ryan Grant in him. But I'd keep all 5.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Agree on their running styles. With Green I'm not sure he has what it takes to be an every down type of back but he seems to get pass blocking and receiving from what I saw vs the Rams.
    “Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
    UserPostedImage
    "I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
    Gaycandybacon
    11 years ago
    Franklin hasn't looked horrible, I think it's premature to right him off.... Like Nerd said there is a couple instances where they couldn't get Franklin in situations where he fits best.

Screens, Check downs, swing passes, tosses, etc.

I'm pretty damn sure we haven't seen what he could do yet.

In the Cardinal game he caught a screen pass for a pretty good gain.

I'm optimistic about Franklin. He definitely has a learning curve, but if someone can get him a ball in open space he can do damage..

I heard someone come on the radio and say they should cut him... I laughed so hard!

Fan Shout
    bboystyle (3h) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
    Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
    Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
    Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
    Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
    Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
    Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
    Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
    Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
    Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
    Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
    Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
    Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
    Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
    Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
    Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
    Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
    Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
    buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
    Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
    Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
    Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
    hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
    Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
    Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
    Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
    Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
    Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
    wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
    Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
    Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
    bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
    Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
    Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
    Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
    Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
    Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
    Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
    Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
    Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
    Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
    Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
    Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
    Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
    Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
    Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
    Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
    Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
    Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
    Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2024 Packers Schedule
    Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
    Eagles
    Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
    COLTS
    Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
    Titans
    Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
    Rams
    Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
    CARDINALS
    Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
    TEXANS
    Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
    Jaguars
    Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
    LIONS
    Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
    49ERS
    Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
    DOLPHINS
    Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
    Seahawks
    Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
    SAINTS
    Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
    Vikings
    Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
    BEARS
    Recent Topics
    41m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.