13 years ago

It was not long nor drawn out.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I dunno, man. I fell asleep half way through.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Jakest3r
13 years ago
lol @ the Urlacher is overrated claims
blank
DakotaT
13 years ago

lol @ the Urlacher is overrated claims

Originally Posted by: Jakest3r 

So if I said the only thing Butkus could do in today's NFL would be drive the bus or carry luggage; would that be laughable too? Go back and Grizz's post. He pretty much nailed it. Urlacher is pretty good for a white boy though.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

So if I said the only thing Butkus could do in today's NFL would be drive the bus or carry luggage; would that be laughable too? Go back and Grizz's post. He pretty much nailed it. Urlacher is pretty good for a white boy though.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

With all due respect to Grizz, I do think Urlacher is a heck of a player. I think he's got brains like Butkus but doesn't have the physical tools that Butkus had. I strongly believe he makes the entire D better, and he's got very good chemistry with Briggs (who always seems to be unhappy to be a Bear).

da Bears have one of the best LB sets in the NFL and that set alone has been carrying that team for years. We all know da Bears have problems scoring lots of points. They were 11-5 and reached the CG last year with the #22 O. They won the division in '05 with the 26th ranked O while both Urlacher and Briggs were All Pros.

Sometimes, a player can be judged as part of a set. That's how I judge Urlacher. As a set with Briggs, they're elite. Urlacher and Briggs still have it and I can guarantee 🇲🇲 will game plan around them as much as possible.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
13 years ago

With all due respect to Grizz, I do think Urlacher is a heck of a player. I think he's got brains like Butkus but doesn't have the physical tools that Butkus had. I strongly believe he makes the entire D better, and he's got very good chemistry with Briggs (who always seems to be unhappy to be a Bear).

da Bears have one of the best LB sets in the NFL and that set alone has been carrying that team for years. We all know da Bears have problems scoring lots of points. They were 11-5 and reached the CG last year with the #22 O. They won the division in '05 with the 26th ranked O while both Urlacher and Briggs were All Pros.

Sometimes, a player can be judged as part of a set. That's how I judge Urlacher. As a set with Briggs, they're elite. Urlacher and Briggs still have it and I can guarantee 🇲🇲 will game plan around them as much as possible.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

I agree with what you say, but I think it's also worth noting that Urlacher set the Bears season tackle record, was NFL Rookie of the Year, Football Digest Defensive Player of the Year, a three time Pro Bowler, and a two time All-Pro before Briggs was even drafted.
Pack93z
13 years ago
The following is all from a vantage point of my eyes.. and how I view Urlacher. Not intended to be cast upon anyone else's opinion of him.. just how I view it. I give a ass testicle if he wears a Bears uniform.

Urlacher is a very good football player.. but he is not a complete football player. To be considered an all time elite player, like many like to call Urlacher, you can't have holes in your game. Simply put, as PolarGrizz noted so very well, he isn't dominate in the box. You want to beat him.. you run right at him.

Personally, that is what makes that combo of Briggs and Urlacher so good.. Briggs is better in the box and can be had outside of it.. Urlacher excels in space and struggles more in the box. IMO, there is a bigger dropoff in Urlacher's game in the box than Briggs outside of it.

They compliment each other very well.. and that is what has made them a dominate duo.

Both very fine football players, but neither on their own are those era defining players. Ray Lewis is a Era defining player.. Mike Singletary is a era defining player.

London Fletcher is every bit the player Urlacher has been... he just lacks the over hype. That is my area of contention with Urlacher, excellent player, but not this all world player that he gets painted too often.

PolarGrizz nailed it.. Clay has over hype to him as well.. last year he rounded out his pass rushing repotaire and became more of a complete pass rusher.. but he can be run on from time to time because he is too aggressive and especially passed on.. the Former Bear Olsen had him for lunch early in Carolina for example.

Rant off/

I respect Rodgers for talking on behalf of Urlacher and giving us more of a picture of who Urlacher the man on the field is through his observation. And I respect the heck out of both Urlacher and Briggs for bringing it hard on gameday.. it isn't their fault the some over bill them as individuals.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Pack - that's kind of what I was getting at but you said it much more eloquently.

That said, the two parts together make an elite two players and with that comes the core of a dominating D.

Kudos too to GetLouder as he pointed out that Urlacher was well regarded BEFORE Briggs even came on board, so maybe if anything, can we say Urlacher may be underrated?

I don't have a tenth of the technical expertise Pack93z has. However, I can look at facts and tell you what I see based off of them. da Bears besides '06 have had a crappy O and their D has been carrying them ever since Urlacher became a Bear. Urlacher, like it or not, is the heart of their D. Therefore, looking at their D positioning ever since Urlacher became a Bear, Urlacher is an outstanding player.

One more thing. I don't believe in the "complete player." Deion Sanders was one dimensional. He tackled as well as my Grandma tackles. However, I'd take him over ANY CB in the NFL today except for Woodson because Sanders shuts down the WR he's covering completely. (Woodson isn't half the coverage corner Sanders is but Woodson completely shuts down the run to his sections and is very movable).

Play to your strengths. Cover up your weaknesses. Urlacher leads that D (it's quite average when he's out) and Briggs covers up Urlacher's flaws.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Greg C.
13 years ago

Urlacher is much like Clay Matthews in that he's a one trick pony. Urlacher is an above average pass defender who is easily taken out on run support much like Matthews is primarily a stand up lineman who is an excellent passrusher, and below average run stopper

Originally Posted by: polargrizz 

I think Matthews is just as good against the run as against the pass, actually. I thought most people considered him to be a very good run defender. I know he loses some effectiveness against the run because he sells out on the pass rush at times, but that's a trade-off that I'm happy with. I don't see him getting pushed around too much, and he's an excellent tackler.

On Urlacher, I tend to agree with Zombie that he's good enough at what he does well that the weaknesses are relatively minor. As I recall, the Bears defense just wasn't the same the year he got hurt (2009).
blank
Pack93z
13 years ago

One more thing. I don't believe in the "complete player." Deion Sanders was one dimensional. He tackled as well as my Grandma tackles. However, I'd take him over ANY CB in the NFL today except for Woodson because Sanders shuts down the WR he's covering completely. (Woodson isn't half the coverage corner Sanders is but Woodson completely shuts down the run to his sections and is very movable).

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Deion would not have been a HOF player without the return skills in addition to his coverage skills... without the return skills he is Nnamdi Asomugha, a hell of a player but not considered iconic like Urlacher is painted at times.

Even then.. I think Deion the corner was a bit overrated as well. I used to hear Madden blabber about how he took half the field away.. which was the case against average receivers, however you put a top tier receiver on him.. you could beat him. He also didn't like flipping side of the field.. which allowed OC's to scheme away from him.

That said.. my point is, if you want to be the iconic player at a position, then IMO you have to be a complete player for your time period.

That maybe flawed.. but probably the reason I think we sometimes let too many players into the HOF.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I think Rodgers is correct. Urlacher is technically sound. The Bears D is very technically sound.

That is one reason they will not suffer a drop off in performance due to the rules against punishing the ball carrier or passer excessively. They are solid tacklers. Not visicous hitters. I think that has made them better than the intimidating defenses in the NFL.

Rodgers has said there was a play the Bears could have injured him but let up on him. Back then he said he respects them because they play the game right. They play hard and tough, but not to hurt people on purpose.

I think Urlacher is over rated. He is pretty good at being an overgrown safety. But doesn't defeat blocks very well. The Bears work very hard to keep him free.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Time Zone remains undefeated against Zero
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers worked out: K Chad Ryland K Lucas Havirsik QB Gavin Hardison WR Lideatrick Griffin
Zero2Cool (14h) : nm ... time zone > kevin
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers Rams moved time slot
Zero2Cool (15h) : WR Davante Adams informed the team that he preferred to be traded,
Zero2Cool (15h) : ddie Lacy Arrested For 'Extreme DUI' In Arizona
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers held old friend Aaron Jones to 1 yard or less on 8 of his 22 carries Sunday.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Schultz
Zero2Cool (18h) : WR Christian Watson has a high-ankle sprain, but I'm told it's a mild one, and he is "unlikely" to land on IR. -- Jordan Shultz
Zero2Cool (18h) : Davante Adams probably done being Raider
Zero2Cool (23h) : Well. Lions are a better team, so kind of expected.
Martha Careful (1-Oct) : watching Detroit play defense. A pleasure to watch a team control the edges and get pressure… And yes they have two Back ups In secondary
buckeyepackfan (1-Oct) : "The Hit King" dead at 83. RIH Pete
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : LaFleur admits the Packers are sacrificing the defensive ends to a certain degree to set the edge and avoid rushing lanes.
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : LaFleur expects Christian Watson to "be out most likely at least a week or so."
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : NFL concluded its investigation of former Jaguars kicker Brandon McManus and determined there was insufficient evidence to support a finding
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : Dikembe Mutombo has died from brain cancer at age 58.
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : Wyatt was probably best NT/DT this season
Mucky Tundra (29-Sep) : Not good, Jethro. Not good.
Mucky Tundra (29-Sep) : @ByRyanWood Devante Wyatt wearing a walking boot on right foot with crutches inside #Packers postgame locker room
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Watson's ankle... "He told me that it was just a sprain."
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : At least it's ankle not hamstring for Watson
packerfanoutwest (29-Sep) : Love is overrated
dhazer (29-Sep) : Damn Kevin you were right Fields killed it today 35 pts
Mucky Tundra (29-Sep) : The entire defense might as well be OUT
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Jaire is OUT
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Love, for sure.
dhazer (29-Sep) : thats what i am thinking JJ is going off against Stokes
dfosterf (29-Sep) : Sam Darnold this week, imo
dhazer (29-Sep) : Fantasy advice Love or Darnold with no packer cbs
Mucky Tundra (29-Sep) : Bonkers Georiga-Bama game
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Jaire and Valentine probably both out.
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Packers have elevated CBs Kamal Hadden and Robert Rochell for tomorrow's game.
packerfanoutwest (28-Sep) : Sources: Packers QB Jordan Love expected back vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (28-Sep) : The NFL fined #Packers RB Josh Jacobs a whopping $45,020 for unnecessary roughness/use of helmet last week
Zero2Cool (27-Sep) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (27-Sep) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / GameDay Threads / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

30-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

30-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

30-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

30-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

29-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Sep / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.