Zero2Cool
13 years ago

heh heh, that's what I get for trying to squeeze in some posts during a busy office day! Hopefully it's fixed now.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

It's all good. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Yerko
13 years ago
My bottom line...
Grant is proven and he isn't old. Starks can still be considered a prospect because he hasn't had a full season yet. I'm not willing to give #1 duties to a guy who has never seen an entire season of football. Grant has proven year in-and-out (except for the freak injury last season) that he can be an above average running back for this team, which is all this team needs.
Alex Green should be the 3rd down back over Nance. Again, both prospects but there is more upside to Green.

I also won't forget when people were begging for Grant when Brandon Jackson was our #1.

Grant= Proven
Starks/Green= Prospects

Just read another article/blog/whatever it was talking about Driver being expendable. For who? It said West and Gurley. Again, two unproven prospects. Driver came off a down season and looks fresh in pre-season right now. That is what we are going off with all this prospect talk right? I'd be willing to bet Driver has another great season. I'm not disagreeing that West and Gurley have upside, they just don't have what it takes right now to fill a roster spot like Driver.

Driver= Proven
Gurley/West= Prospects

Don't see the point in axing guys that can make a difference this season when we are in no salary cap trouble. That is what the main point of the Grant/Nance article was and the Driver/West & Gurley read followed.

I want guys like Starks and Green to be successful and I hope they can fill in the #1 and #2 spots, but they can't right now. Same goes for West and Gurley.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Everyone is unproven until given a chance to prove themselves. Therefore, if you don't give them a chance, you'll find yourself with a depleted roster essentially full of has-beens.

That's a broad statement and not intended to be associated with the subject. I've stated my feelings on Ryan Grant several times.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
13 years ago

Everyone is unproven until given a chance to prove themselves. Therefore, if you don't give them a chance, you'll find yourself with a depleted roster essentially full of has-beens.

That's a broad statement and not intended to be associated with the subject. I've stated my feelings on Ryan Grant several times.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Exactly. So cutting Grant and giving the #1 duties to an unproven player is just a huge risk.

[aiee]
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
13 years ago
It's the Ted Thompson way to hand the reigns to "unproven" players. It seems like a huge leap of faith to us fans, but the coaching staff sees these guys almost every day for several weeks and many last season as well and they're not as unproven as they appear to be to us. Thompson never hesitates to drop a "proven" guy for an "unproven" younger guy. It's how he rolls.
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Seems like a lot of people in here need to have the sure thing in hand and total control. Believe me boys, over the last 400 days or so I've found out that we have no control of anything.

I wouldn't trade rosters with any team in the league. We have our current roster and coaching staff because of a guy with a lot of football knowledge. Let's trust him on these things. I don't expect Driver, Grant, or Clifton to do anything but start at their current positions when we line up against the Saints. But I will say that I don't think Grant and Driver are the best at their position anymore - and I have a problem with them starting because of the past or being the perceived sure thing.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

1: It is neither Nance's 2.7 yards per carry from last year (when he was trying to learn the playbook on short notice) NOR is it the 7 yards per carry he got last week against scrubs that make him a threat to Grant's roster spot. It is his third down blocking. Well that, and his superior vision, receiving ability, not having to stop to change direction, special teams contributions, etc.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Once again: Where do you get this stuff? What makes you think that Nance has "superior vision"? How is his receiving ability better than Grant's? How many passes have we seen Nance catch? As for special teams, I honestly don't know if he plays on them. If he does, he apparently does not excel at the job, because I never hear about it. I did hear something good about Nance's third down blocking recently. I'll give you that one.

The implication that Grant has to stop to change direction is an obvious exaggeration. Is Nance better at changing direction than Grant? Yes, I believe he is. He is three inches shorter. But is he a better overall runner? I don't think he looks nearly as good as Grant, but that's just an opinion. I think it is harder to argue that Nance is better, given what we've seen from him. Ryan Grant gave the running game an immediate boost when he entered the lineup in 2007. He dropped off a bit in 2008, but was better in 2009 and looked just as good in 2010 before he got hurt. I have yet to see that kind of impact from Nance--or even a hint of it, really.

Also: Are you aware of the fact that if you are right about Grant, Ted Thompson is an idiot? He just restructured Grant's contract, assuring that he will be on the roster this year. So it's Ted vs. Nerdmann. I'm putting my money on Ted.

blank
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

Also: Are you aware of the fact that if you are right about Grant, Ted Thompson is an idiot? He just restructured Grant's contract, assuring that he will be on the roster this year. So it's Ted vs. Nerdmann. I'm putting my money on Ted.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

Actually Greg (I just envisioned Barry Williams going out with Florence Henderson) anyway - Grant could still be cut and if picked up by another team (which I'm sure he would be) - they would assume the contract.

Does Nerdmann have red hair and freckles with estranged parents?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago

Once again: Where do you get this stuff? What makes you think that Nance has "superior vision"? How is his receiving ability better than Grant's? How many passes have we seen Nance catch? As for special teams, I honestly don't know if he plays on them. If he does, he apparently does not excel at the job, because I never hear about it. I did hear something good about Nance's third down blocking recently. I'll give you that one.

The implication that Grant has to stop to change direction is an obvious exaggeration. Is Nance better at changing direction than Grant? Yes, I believe he is. He is three inches shorter. But is he a better overall runner? I don't think he looks nearly as good as Grant, but that's just an opinion. I think it is harder to argue that Nance is better, given what we've seen from him. Ryan Grant gave the running game an immediate boost when he entered the lineup in 2007. He dropped off a bit in 2008, but was better in 2009 and looked just as good in 2010 before he got hurt. I have yet to see that kind of impact from Nance--or even a hint of it, really.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

1: What makes me think Nance has superior vision is the fact that he's not constantly cutting away from wide open field so as to run up the back of his own blocker.

2: Why doesn't Grant put himself into the conversation as a third down guy? Is he unwilling to pass block? Maybe. Maybe it's just that they don't trust his receiving ability. They want someone who can not only CATCH the ball, but also make the first guy miss. Another thing about screens is that you have to have the ability to play off your blockers. Remember that play by Alex Green in the last game? You can't be running up the backs of your own guys.

3: I'm glad you admit Nance cuts better than Grant. So he's better at receiving, has better vision, and can pass pro on third down. Sounds like we can agree to that. He can also run screens. How does that not make him a threat to Grant's roster spot? What good is it to be a slightly better "runner" if you're just gonna run up Sittons back anyway?

4: If Starks and Green are "unknowns," because of their lack of carries, than how can we know that Nance is so much worse than Grant? Does the inexperience thing only work in one direction? We can't know anyone is as good as Grant, but we CAN know that somebody ISN'T as good as Grant. Is that what you're saying?

5: Ted renegotiated the contract so that it is is less money. Why do you think he did that? Because Grant is better than everyone? No. Why would Grant and Grant's agent AGREE to such a deal, if they were confident they were better than everyone? Because they know that Grant is neither as good as Starks nor as good as Green. And they also know that Grant can't be the designated "third down" guy. Btw, if Grant is cut, he's almost certain to be picked up by another team, at which point the Packers would only be responsible for the difference between that salary and the 2.5, which is likely to be negligible, if anything.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
13 years ago
What a great thread!!!!! Makes me 🤣

For the record, in my one post I tried to get everyone to remember how bad our running game became after RG went down, I also stated that without James Starks, The Packers SB run may have come up short.

What amazes me if that some on this forum are just waiting and hoping for DD or RG to drop a pass, miss a block, or make some other mistake just so they can say "See I told you so", I myself am rooting for every player wearing The Green and Gold to succeed, but I also realized a long time ago that nobody is perfect, mistakes will be made.

I also realize that I as a fan know about 1% of what really is happening this pre-season.

I said it in my other post, the best we can hope for is to go injury free the next 2 weeks then see what the decisions are made.

I will guarantee you one thing, you will not see me making negative posts about any player who survives the cuts.

TT's and MM's job is to decide who is going to be on the final roster, the've done a pretty good job so far, so I will support any decisions they make.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!