nerdmann
13 years ago

I’m a little more interested in all the Driver and Clifton hating (if I can throw that term around as casually). How exactly is Driver “breaking down”? He may have played in 15 games last season but he had nagging injuries. Driver’s practice work ethic is legendary in that locker room, which should be an indicator to everyone just how badly he was nicked. Did you just look at his 2010 stat line and decide he’s lost it? Are we all going to start hating on Jennings if Finley and Co. digs more into his production? Will we argue that he’s “breaking down”? If Jennings battles injuries all season will we conclude that he’s not the same player?

Driver had the unfortunate luck of waiting until he was 35 to get injured. Since turning 30 he’s missed as many games as there are cojones in my pantaloons, ya dig? And while maybe guys like James Jones and Jordy Nelson have more to offer at this point, luckily we run a lot of 3-4 receiver sets and have the depth to rotate in fresh legs. Oh, and he’s been a big part of developing the young guys into the players/locker room citizens that they are. Driver isn’t done yet.

Now, on to Clifton. I have to clarify something first: when you say Clifton might be on the bubble, are you referring to right now? Or to the next few years? The latter I buy – everyone buys. Clifton is no spring chicken so it’s not crazy to imagine a steep decline. If however you mean that right now he’s on the bubble, then see my earlier comments about critical derangement. If you also mean that we have two players – Newhouse and Sherrod – who can play his position, I again hope that you don’t honestly mean “right now”. So far Newhouse’s biggest claim to fame has been a practice field scuffle with another lineman no one outside of Green Bay knows exists. Sherrod hopefully is the future but so far he’s the singular “He’s still too raw” guy on our roster.

In regards to Cliffy’s injury proneness – see earlier comments on “where does he come up with this shit?” Chad Clifton has missed 6 games in the past 8 seasons! Math is fun. That means in the past 128 regular season games the Packers have played, Cliffy has been there 122 times. Hate to burst your bubble, but Clifton is on no bubble. He is also coming off a resurgent year and was an integral part of winning the Super Bowl.

Finally – if I was 16 years old, would you say I’m in my late teens? Driver is 36. Clifton is 35. Neither are in their “late 30s” nor are they injury prone.

Originally Posted by: evad04 

DD had surgery on both knees before the season last year, and was supposed to be rejuvenated. How'd that work out?
As for Cliffy, yes. He went beyond expectations, by far. No one expected him to play in more than 12 games, but he did. Now he's a year older. Think he will again? Cliffy is a very good pass protector. But it would be nice if we had a guy who could also run block. Perhaps say, a younger, cheaper player with tons of more upside? Kind of like Grant. Yeah, he's a good, consistent runner between the tackles. That's great. Wouldn't it be even better to have a younger, cheaper guy who could also do that? Plus catch the ball on screens, see openings, hit those openings, get around the corner, etc?
You accuse me of distorting evidence by looking only at DD's stat line. Then you do the exact same thing with Cliffy.
Yeah DD had the unfortunate "luck" of getting injured at the age of 35. Starks had the unfortunate luck to get injured before the season started. Say he gets the same injury with one game left. Does that make him less "injury prone?"
Fact is Starks is a much younger player, he's cheaper than the veterans and he's got alot more football left in him. DD and Cliffy have one more year left, and that's if they stay healthy, which they won't do.
Yeah I know, DD wants to play until he's 40. I'm sure he'll look great in purple. Anyway, I love you man. xoxo

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
13 years ago

Let's (Let us lol) try this again shall we.. one could view him as continuously at risk due to injuries.. for review.

Again.. one tough SOB.. and I stood in his corner last season when he was resigned.. but one can't deny that he has had his share of missed time due to injury or playing well less than 100%, yet still giving us better production than anyone else available that is for sure.

Vs. Buffalo (Sept. 19): Started the game but struggled with a nagging knee injury and left the contest with six minutes remaining in the first half.

At Chicago (Sept. 27): Part of a line that did not allow a sack of QB Aaron Rodgers. Was replaced by Bulaga briefly in the first half but returned to the field in the third quarter

At Chicago (NFC Championship, Jan. 23): Missed three series in the first half after sustaining a neck stinger on the opening drive.

Had arthroscopic surgeries on both knees and both shoulders during the offseason.

(Sept. 20): Sprained his ankle on the first play of the third quarter on a Grant run and did not retur

Inactive at St. Louis (Sept. 27), at Minnesota (Oct. 5) and at Cleveland (Oct. 25) with ankle injury

Vs. Detroit (Oct. 18): Returned to starting lineup and helped block for Packers’ 435 yards of total offense, but re-injured ankle late in the third quarter and did not return, sitting out the next two games as wel

Active but did not play vs. Minnesota (Nov. 1)

At Detroit (Nov. 26): Injured hamstring on second drive of second half and did not return

At Arizona (NFC Wild Card, Jan. 10): Left game with just under 12 minutes remaining with a right ankle injury.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Remember the 7.5 sacks that Jared Allen got in two games against us that year? Cliffy was nowhere to be seen, and we had to start a G at LT and a rookie backup G. At least now we've got guys who can get it done. (Not to mention run block.) That is, if they are willing to stop moving these guys around to G and RT and let them get their techniques down.
Check out the tidbits in this article. For instance, the renegotiation merely protects Grant against playing for the minimun IF HE IS CUT. Maybe Cliffy and DD's agents should get on the phone.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/128411158.html 

James Starks, you're up

Ryan Grant’s pay cut is a smart decision for both parties. The Packers would pay $1 million less in Grant’s base salary and Grant protects himself from the possibility of playing at the minimum elsewhere if he was cut. Fiscally, it makes plenty of sense for all involved.

So what now?

Well, Grant has been OK this training camp. Not bad, not great. While he missed the opportunity at a long run against Arizona last week, zigging instead of zagging, the three-year starter still has averaged 4.5 yards per carry. His repaired ankle is fine and, as expected, he’s in tip-top shape.

But Grant’s pay cut may be telling us what we’re seeing in practice — James Starks is the superior back. To stick around, Grant had to take less. If Starks wants the top spot, he can earn it.

In snapshots, Starks has looked better this summer. He’s running with more decisiveness and more power. He has shown improved patience, hitting holes with explosion. With quick whistles, camp practices are tough gauges for running backs. But, when healthy, Starks has not disappointed.

In Grant, the Packers know what they’re getting. He's a grinder that warms up with more carries. In Starks, there's potential for much more. Friday night’s dress rehearsal in Indianapolis is vital for the former University at Buffalo standout.

Eight pounds heavier from his gluten-free diet, he needs to gain the coaches’ trust in the games.

“He put on a couple pounds from last year,” running backs coach Jerry Fontenot said. “He worked hard this off-season and didn’t want to have a repeat of sitting out any game time this year. He worked hard and, as far as I can tell, he’s in good of shape as I’ve ever seen him.”

JSO wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
I like this dilusional fountain of youth thing we have going on here today. I'm going to use it in my personal life. I'm 42 - which means I should be able to hit the dance clubs - pull 25 year old box, buck all night, and then brush my teeth and go to work.

In reality - I work from 7:30AM to 9:00PM - go home, shower - kiss my wife - warm up supper, fall into my recliner - fall asleep watching TV - wake up at 2:30AM - go to bed - Get up and check what kind of insult the man with a weak bladder has for me and repeat.

Stick a fork in those old bastards - it'll be fricken miracle if they last another season.

Clifton and Driver are Packer warriors that don't know when to say when.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago

I like this dilusional fountain of youth thing we have going on here today. I'm going to use it in my personal life. I'm 42 - which means I should be able to hit the dance clubs - pull 25 year old box, buck all night, and then brush my teeth and go to work.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

You are really going out on a limb in this fantasy aren't we.. lol.

You might be able to pull off the rest it.. but there is a limit. Unless you have a serious set of beer goggles my friend. 😝
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Remember the 7.5 sacks that Jared Allen got in two games against us that year? Cliffy was nowhere to be seen, and we had to start a G at LT and a rookie backup G. At least now we've got guys who can get it done. (Not to mention run block.) That is, if they are willing to stop moving these guys around to G and RT and let them get their techniques down.
Check out the tidbits in this article. For instance, the renegotiation merely protects Grant against playing for the minimun IF HE IS CUT. Maybe Cliffy and DD's agents should get on the phone.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/128411158.html 

James Starks, you're up

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Nerdman, please read the link below.
http://packershome.com/tabid/63/g/posts/t/13418/Forum--Can-I-Post-Full-Articles.aspx 

I don't believe it was Chad Clifton that gave up those 7.5. I think Daryn Colledge filled in during one of the games. I'm not sure though.

Some newspaper WSJ? had a really cool flash dealio that showed who gave up which sack and how they came after Aaron Rodgers.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

In reality - I work from 7:30AM to 9:00PM - go home, shower - kiss my wife - warm up supper, fall into my recliner - fall asleep watching TV - wake up at 2:30AM - go to bed - Get up and check what kind of insult the man with a weak bladder has for me and repeat.

Stick a fork in those old bastards - it'll be fricken miracle if they last another season.

Clifton and Driver are Packer warriors that don't know when to say when.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

You're older than I am? Cool. :-"

🇹🇹 drafted two Tackles in the 1st round two straight years to replace Cliffy and Tausch. Tausch is gone already. Until someone shows they can protect Aaron's blind side better than Cliffy, I want Cliffy protecting Aaron's blind side (or until his knees finally collapse). 🇲🇲 still thinks Cliffy's the best guy we have at protecting Aaron's blind side. Thus, he's still on the team and still starting.

I'm no Pack93z. I can't explain why one OL is better than another. I can however tell you that Cliffy's our best guy at pass protection by watching the games.

As for Driver, I've already said this before. He gets more separation than Jordy. Until Jordy proves he's better, Driver will get more snaps.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
evad04
13 years ago

DD had surgery on both knees before the season last year, and was supposed to be rejuvenated. How'd that work out?
As for Cliffy, yes. He went beyond expectations, by far. No one expected him to play in more than 12 games, but he did. Now he's a year older. Think he will again? Cliffy is a very good pass protector. But it would be nice if we had a guy who could also run block. Perhaps say, a younger, cheaper player with tons of more upside? Kind of like Grant. Yeah, he's a good, consistent runner between the tackles. That's great. Wouldn't it be even better to have a younger, cheaper guy who could also do that? Plus catch the ball on screens, see openings, hit those openings, get around the corner, etc?
You accuse me of distorting evidence by looking only at DD's stat line. Then you do the exact same thing with Cliffy.
Yeah DD had the unfortunate "luck" of getting injured at the age of 35. Starks had the unfortunate luck to get injured before the season started. Say he gets the same injury with one game left. Does that make him less "injury prone?"
Fact is Starks is a much younger player, he's cheaper than the veterans and he's got alot more football left in him. DD and Cliffy have one more year left, and that's if they stay healthy, which they won't do.
Yeah I know, DD wants to play until he's 40. I'm sure he'll look great in purple. Anyway, I love you man. xoxo

Cliffy may be nagged by injury at times, but he doesn't miss a lot of playing time. Charles Woodson is nagged by injury a lot, but he doesn't miss a lot of playing time. James Starks hopefully has a blissful Packer career in front of him, but he's clearly the most troubled where durability is concerned among those guys -- Driver included.

I enjoy your comparison to the '08 season. Yeah, it sucked balls when Cliffy was absent in those two Minnesota games (those being two of the six games his missed in the last 128, ahem). You remember what our solutions were? Take a LG and move him to tackle, and when that was disastrous move a rookie LT (Lang) on the next try. Kinda like your suggestion that we have guys right now that can play the position -- Newhouse and Sherrod. Is there anything that would suggest their performances would be better than Colledges or Langs from '08? Do ya see it? Clifton is our best option now. Hardly a bubble player -- and like I said, moving beyond this season (when his contract is up and he approaches his TRUE late 30s) it would make sense to expect a decline in ability and maybe he's gone.

I don't understand your stuff about Driver. It's unfair to say a guy is injury prone when his only real injury problems occurred last season. You pointed out his age. That seems to be all you've got. And is it really fair to assume Driver's injury issues last year were the result of offseason surgery that, in effect, failed? Is your favorite tea flavor "Post hoc ergo propter hoc"? If I'm trying to be clear about anything it's that labeling Driver injury prone (or to use your words "broken down") isn't substantiated. It is as though, as I said, one simply read his stat line from last year. He was banged up all year. He missed practices because of it. Donald Driver missed practices! Hello! That's as bad as he's ever had it in his incredibly consistent career. When I hear The Mothership's talking heads (and people like yourself on this forum) pontificate about Driver's "decline" it ticks me off. As we've added weapons to our offense his production has declined. How is that any different than Jennings' production spiking last year in Finley's absence? There's only so many balls to go around, and I for one am glad that Driver is still going to get his share because he still has gas in the tank.

P.S. I'll take you up on that A-Rod/Ryan Grant rushing yards thing. Whaddya say? If I win you have to get a tattoo of James Starks on your balls, and if I lose we'll forget I ever made a bet? Deal?
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago

How did DD's surgery work out? Well, fine. The problems he had were due to an impact injury to the quad. Nothing at all to do with his knees. It is football, sometimes impacts happen.

Helpful hints from Dexter number 56. If you are going to make a point, use something relevant to back it up. It makes it all come together nicely.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
I love it. We finally got something new to argue about and it's page 8.

FYI in 2011 - Grant will get more rushing yards than Starks. Driver will get more receiving yards than Starks gets rushing yards.

That doesn't mean I don't like Starks. I like the guy a lot. But this is 2011, not 2012. 2013, Grant very likely will be gone and Starks may be our #1 RB unless Green works out or 🇹🇹 find another young stud whose availability is up to 🇲🇲's standards.

Driver will still be playing in 2012 and he'll finish 2011 with 500+ yards and 5 TDs.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I love it. We finally got something new to argue about and it's page 8.

FYI in 2011 - Grant will get more rushing yards than Starks. Driver will get more receiving yards than Starks gets rushing yards.

That doesn't mean I don't like Starks. I like the guy a lot. But this is 2011, not 2012. 2013, Grant very likely will be gone and Starks may be our #1 RB unless Green works out or 🇹🇹 find another young stud whose availability is up to 🇲🇲's standards.

Driver will still be playing in 2012 and he'll finish 2011 with 500+ yards and 5 TDs.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

You say Ryan Grant will have more yards than James Starks, but who'll have a higher yards per carry?
UserPostedImage