Zero2Cool
13 years ago

For fledgling NFL players, trying to crack the Green Bay Packers' 53-man roster is about as difficult as scoring a part in a Martin Scorsese film.

There's too much A-list talent already signed up.

But the deliberations general manager Ted Thompson will have to make in casting the defending Super Bowl champions may be as challenging as any in his career because of potential talent hidden among the 86 players he has in training camp.

Take, for instance, the wide receiver position.

You can pencil in Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb to the 53-man roster. And you can pretty much assume Donald Driver will be there, too.

But what does he do with a guy like Chastin West, who spent the entire 2010 season on the practice squad and blasted into the forefront with five catches for 134 yards, including a 97-yard touchdown against the Arizona Cardinals Friday night?

It would be one thing if West were the only receiver causing Thompson a double-take, but rookies Diondre Borel and Tory Gurley have been pretty good, too. What in the name of roster limits is Thompson to do?

From West's perspective, this is exactly the dilemma he wanted to create.

"You have really good receivers who just won the Super Bowl and played well in the Super Bowl," he said after his big preseason performance against the Cardinals. "You have to change their mind and do what you can do to make the team."

It might seem easy for Thompson to say he'll go with six wide receivers on the roster - he usually goes with five - but that means taking from another position to pump up one that already is deep and talented.

He could carry one fewer running back, but he's got a problem there, too.

In addition to James Starks and Ryan Grant, fourth-round pick Alex Green has shown considerable promise, John Kuhn is a lock as the top fullback and Dimitri Nance and Quinn Johnson are in the running for spots as well. The fewest running backs Thompson has kept is five in 2008 and six has been the norm.

If he keeps just five, that means there's no chance to keep undrafted rookie Brandon Saine, who has looked surprisingly good, and might mean the release of Grant. If he keeps six at this spot, he then has to make up for the extra receiver somewhere else.

How about at tight end?

Forget about that. At this point, he could legitimately keep five of the six he has in camp. Jermichael Finley is the only lock, but Andrew Quarless, D.J. Williams, Ryan Taylor, Tom Crabtree and Spencer Havner are all options.

Cut Quarless and you'd be letting go of your second-best athlete at the position. Let Crabtree go and you lose your best blocker. Taylor has been too good to let go, and Williams has done enough to make you think he's a prospect.

Say Thompson keeps five. He could count one as a fullback and keep just four backs, but there would be some risk involved in that since the tight ends really only serve as fullbacks on passing downs. If something happened to Kuhn, he'd be in trouble in short yardage situations.

There's always the possibility Thompson could keep nine offensive linemen or defensive backs instead of the usual 10, but getting caught short in those positions can be deadly for a contender. He very well could want to keep an extra defensive back with youngsters like Brandian Ross and Josh Gordy pushing for a spot.

And so the deliberations continue.

"It's like musical chairs," West said of his chances. "Sometimes the chair is going to be there when the music stops."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/128136378.html 

UserPostedImage
rabidgopher04
13 years ago
Are all of these guys really that good? The author only points out each person's strengths. I doubt Thompson feels it's that much of a dilemma since he'll be looking for a certain combination of skills at a position.

I say Havner will get cut at the TE position for sure. Taylor or Williams might go to the practice squad and the other will get cut.

Nance or Johnson will get cut.

Of West's 134 yards, 97 were on one play. Maybe Thompson will trade James Jones and keep West if he's really that good. The other receivers will most likely either make the practice squad, be traded for a 6th or 7th round pick, or get cut.

I don't see Ted going thin on the OL or the secondary.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
millertime
13 years ago
If West is worth keeping, I would explore a Jordy Nelson trade. I doubt his value could go up any higher after his Super Bowl performance, and we seem to have kept Jones for a reason.

A Nelson for Calais Campbell (3-4 end) from Arizona might make since for both sides. Not sure if AZ would be interested however, because they could have had a similar player (Jones) this offseason and didn't try.
Porforis
13 years ago

Of West's 134 yards, 97 were on one play. Maybe Thompson will trade James Jones and keep West if he's really that good. The other receivers will most likely either make the practice squad, be traded for a 6th or 7th round pick, or get cut.

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

To be fair, his other catches involved good routes, good hands, and he did very well after the catch on the 97 yarder. Sure, it was a perfectly placed ball but he found a second gear, still made himself aware of where the defender was so he wouldn't get stripped, and separated. It's too early to say too much about him with much certainty, but based on what I've seen of him so far, he'd be a lock at 3rd WR on most teams.

If Driver hadn't been playing as well as he had in the preseason and instead was playing like he did last year, I'd almost cut Driver (not sure if we can without penalty) but he's made good catches and seems to be in really good shape as well... So far it looks like he's playing better, which is good to see. Honestly, I'd sooner get rid of Jones than West but that's a gamble, sacrificing someone whose skill and limits you know for a relative unknown... Guess we'll have to wait and see what Ted says.
go.pack.go.
13 years ago
How about a Ryan Grant trade to AZ for Calais Campbell? They need a RB since Ryan Williams got hurt.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
West is a good looking prospect. Same for Taylor and Williams at TE. Saine at RB as is Gordy and Ross at DB.

The point that is being missed is there are always going to be good prospects available. Maybe not a RB in 2012 but there may be a DE. Perhaps it will be a another TE.

Keep the Big 5 WRs. If they need another WR next year due to attrition (Say Driver retires and Jordy isn't resigned.) just draft one. If there isn't a player they like then they still have a solid trio with Greg, Jones and Cobb.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

You can pencil in Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb to the 53-man roster. And you can pretty much assume Donald Driver will be there, too.

What does this mean? Did something happen to Driver?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
earthquake
13 years ago

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

No, just the assumption that he's old, his skills are diminishing etc. Which isn't really an unreasonable thought. However, I think as of now he's still the starting #2 WR, so I would be shocked to see him cut as a roster move. I think if they wanted to go that direction, he would have been cut with the other veterans when the lockout ended.
blank
Yerko
13 years ago

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Don't believe so. Th media will just continue to make him the lowest on the totem pole because of his age, injuries, and decline.

I'm not for giving up a guy like Jordy Nelson for a prospective WR that has had a decent preseason. The Packers are in a great place being able to pick and choose at some positions.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (4h) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

50m / Around The NFL / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8h / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.