wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

Power Rankings: Top 10 toughest venues

The gloves came off and the ear plugs went in when ESPN.com sought to identify the toughest venue in the NFL.

The gloves then went right back on, the better to endure the frigid temperatures associated with the No. 1 stadium on our list.

Lambeau Field, home to the Ice Bowl, the Frozen Tundra and even a trend-setting Leap, shrugged off an icy stare from AFC East blogger Tim Graham and a cold shoulder from the NFC North's own Kevin Seifert to emerge as the toughest venue for visiting teams. Four of the six other ESPN.com NFL bloggers ranked Lambeau first on their ballots, lifting the Green Bay Packers' hallowed home over Pittsburgh's Heinz Field for the top spot.

Seattle's Qwest Field, where opponents have committed a league-high 104 false starts since 2005, was third. Outdoor venues swept the first five spots and eight of the top 10. Fifteen venues drew at least one vote.

New Orleans' Superdome was the highest-ranked indoor venue, coming in at No. 6. Minnesota's Metrodome, ranked eighth, trailed only Qwest in opponents' false starts over the past six seasons.

This subject stirred plenty of debate. On the surface, Lambeau didn't seem to need much defending.

"Lambeau Field has the perfect mix of history and the modern feel, while most stadiums are one or the other," AFC North blogger James Walker said after listing Lambeau atop his ballot. "You can feel the ghosts there. The weather makes it tough. And, as with Heinz Field, the local fans do not sell their tickets. Opposing fans do not take over that stadium."

Ranking the Toughest Venues: How They Voted
Rk     Stadium                                         Tot
                DG     TG     PK     MS     KS     JW     BW     PY    
1    Lambeau Field        2    9    1    2    4    1    1    1    67
2    Heinz Field        4    5    7    7    2    4    2    2    55
3    Qwest Field        5    3    4    1    1    9    10    7    48
4    Arrowhead Stadium    9    1    3    3    7    5    4    --    45
5    Soldier Field        3    4    10    6    6    --    --    3    34
6    Superdome        --    --    --    4    3    3    7    6    32
7    Gillette Stadium    --    8    6    8    9    6    3    8    29
8    Metrodome        7    10    --    5    5    2    --    --    26
9    Lincoln Financial     10    7    8    9    8    --    9    4    22
10    Oakland Coliseum    6    --    2    --    --    --    --    5    20
Others Receiving Votes
11    Lucas Oil Stadium    --    2    --    --    --    7    8    --    16
12    Invesco at Mile High    8    6    5    10    --    --    --    --    15
13    M&T Bank Stadium    --    --    9    --    --    8    6    10    11
14t    Georgia Dome        --    --    --    --    10    10    5    9    10
14t    Ralph Wilson Stadium    1    --    --    --    --    --    --    --    10

Key: DG=Dan Graziano; MS=Mike Sando; KS=Kevin Seifert; PY=Pat Yasinskas; TG=Tim Graham;
BW=Bill Williamson; JW=James Walker; PK=Paul Kuharsky
Rank: 1=10 points, 2=9 points, 3=8 points, 4=7 points, 5=6 points, etc.

The AFC East's Graham was not impressed. He ranked Lambeau ninth on his ballot. Even the NFC North's Seifert found three venues more daunting (Qwest, Heinz and the Superdome).

"I distinctly remember a mediocre Miami Dolphins squad traveling a long way to beat the Packers at Lambeau last season," Graham said. "The Packers have gotten lit up at home a few times the past three years despite having very good talent. I guess I couldn't get past that."

Miami, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Houston, Carolina, Atlanta and Dallas have won at Lambeau over the past three seasons.

Graham ranked Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium first.

"I realize the Chiefs have gotten destroyed at Arrowhead too, but it's not the stadium's fault Kansas City has fielded poor rosters," Graham said.

Arrowhead ranked fourth overall, with Chicago's historic Soldier Field rounding out the top five. Both venues offer cold enough weather to freeze out visitors from southern climes. Ragged field conditions in Chicago are another concern.

"Every time I've covered a game there, it has been cold and miserable," NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas said of the Bears' home. "Teams from the South hate that combination. Take the weather and throw in the legend of Halas, Butkus, Sayers and Payton and that's an intimidating place to play."

Mile High mystique a memory

The old Mile High Stadium, a fixture in Denver from 1948 until 2001, might have placed first on such a list. The new one showed up on only four of eight ballots to rank 12th.

"The magic has left," wrote AFC West blogger Bill Williamson, who ranked Lambeau first and Arrowhead fourth, but did not rank Mile High at all. "It's strange because the air is just as thin as it used to be, but the Broncos have lost their home-field edge. This is a team that lost at home by 45 points last year. It doesn’t belong anywhere near this list right now."

Of course, stadiums and fan bases cannot win games by themselves. Roster strength plays a critical role in maximizing whatever advantages a venue has to offer. Remove Peyton Manning from Indianapolis and suddenly Lucas Oil Stadium, which peaked at No. 2 on Graham's ballot and finished 11th overall, becomes considerably more inhabitable for visitors.

"It's an excellent place to watch a game, for sure," AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky said. "But the volume isn't akin to the RCA Dome and, of course, the weather isn't a factor. The annoying shadows on the occasions the roof is open don't seem to bother players like they do viewers."

Kuharsky did not list Lucas Oil or any AFC South venue among his top 10.

Talking venues, not rosters

Kuharsky ranked the Oakland Coliseum second even though the Raiders regularly endure local television blackouts. He covered the team for the Oakland Tribune in 1995, the Raiders' first year back in the Bay Area from Los Angeles.

"Empty seats and local blackouts aren't what opponents are thinking of when sauced-up fans with spikes through their heads are hovering close behind the visitors' bench," he explained.

The NFC East's Dan Graziano adopted a similar line of reasoning. He ranked Oakland sixth while handing his No. 1 vote to Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo, where the Bills' poor talent has left the locals without cover. No other panelist ranked Buffalo in the top 10.

"I've never been colder in my life than when I was at that stadium," Graziano said. "It's cold, windy and nasty. I've always felt that people who succeed there as passers, punters and kickers should be rated higher because of the conditions they must overcome to do so."

Graziano's reasoning makes sense.

"Without speaking for anyone else, my guess is that this place is easy to forget in a survey like this because the Bills have been so irrelevant for so long," he said. "I personally did not factor in the home team in my choices because I think it's a variable. Right now, the toughest place is Gillette Stadium because the Patriots have been so great. But if the Pats stink for the next five years, no way that place makes the 2016 list. But that frigid old dump in Buffalo will still be a miserably unpleasant venue that players will hate to visit."

Seismic Shifts

Qwest Field, built to replace the Kingdome beginning with the 2002 season, has quickly established itself as one of the NFL's most feared stadiums. It joined Lambeau and Heinz as the only venues to receive mention on every ballot.

The New York Giants famously committed 11 false-start penalties there in a 2005 game. Upon returning a year later, the Giants asked the NFL to consider whether the Seahawks were piping in noise artificially. They then committed three false starts in the first quarter of the rematch, falling behind 35-3 at halftime. Last season, local seismologists recorded activity coinciding with Marshawn Lynch's unforgettable 67-yard touchdown run there.

While Seifert and I ranked Qwest atop our ballots, the AFC West's Williamson ranked it only 10th.

"I respect Qwest Field and the '12th Man' aura,'" Williamson said. "It's a fun atmosphere, but I think there are tougher spots to play in the NFL. I'd like to see Seattle win more games and build more of a tradition at the field before I rank it as elite."

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
Lambeau Field doesn't seem that tough for opponents anymore, but then, neither does any other stadium. It seems that in recent years every good team in the league has lost at least one home playoff game, if not several. That includes the Steelers, Patriots, and Colts.

I hate to be a party pooper, but I think this entire subject is outdated. There just aren't dominant home teams like there used to be. My guess is that NFL teams have improved their preparation for playing road games.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
The Patriots with Tom Brady have been as close to dominant at home as one can get in recent years. Obviously, he played less than one game in the 2009 season, but as of the 2010 season, the Patriots had won 28 consecutive home games in which Brady had started, an NFL record.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

The Patriots with Tom Brady have been as close to dominant at home as one can get in recent years. Obviously, he played less than one game in the 2009 season, but as of the 2010 season, the Patriots had won 28 consecutive home games in which Brady had started, an NFL record.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Yes, they had a good thing going there, emphasis on "had." Since then they've lost two home playoff games, including the one where they got trounced by the Ravens. By the way, it was the 2008 season when Brady was injured, not 2009.

blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Did that 28-game streak include the playoffs? I thought it had only included the regular season.

Thanks for correcting the error on the year.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
13 years ago

Did that 28-game streak include the playoffs? I thought it had only included the regular season.

I don't think it included the playoffs because the Ravens went into Foxboro and beat the patriots in the 2009 playoffs.
Born and bred a cheesehead
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
I think a lot of the "shine" came off of Lambeau during the Sherman years and when we didn't finish the deal against the Giants to go to the SB. I hope Mike McCarthy puts that "shine" back on Lambeau, I believe Ted Thompson is giving him the "horses" to do so. Irregardless, Lambeau has to be one of the toughest if not the toughest place to play. Even more prideful, it is undoubtley the most revered place to play and to visit.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
porky88
13 years ago
Packers are 13-3 at Lambeau in the last two seasons, including winning 11 of their last 12. I think the only thing missing is putting their stamp in the playoffs at home once again. When they do that, then Lambeau will be back.
Greg C.
13 years ago

I googled it, and you're right: The streak is just regular season games, and in fact it is still going--28 games. It's kind of a crummy streak when there are two playoff losses mixed in, though.

blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Packers are 13-3 at Lambeau in the last two seasons, including winning 11 of their last 12. I think the only thing missing is putting their stamp in the playoffs at home once again. When they do that, then Lambeau will be back.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

3 - 0 in 2011 NFL Playoffs at Lambeau Field. MARK IT! 🙂
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (5h) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
5m / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Around The NFL / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

8h / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.