Yerko
13 years ago

I too would prefer to see Cullen back in GB. The lack of conversation on the part of GB staff on the issue leads me to believe that they are comfortable allowing the younger guys the opportunity to develope more.

Being the SB champs I would prefer they take a slightly different approach than they have in the past. I would like to see them acknowledge the fact that they have a pretty solid team and try and keep the components together that brought them the championship instead of being in the rebuilding mode.

"wpr" wrote:

Well said wpr. I agree with you. I actually can't wait to see what Mike Neal develops into....hoping he stays healthy and doesn't make a right turn down Harrell Ave.
UserPostedImage
Blank402
13 years ago
Jenkins missed five weeks last year and I don't think our defense suffered from his absence. That's why I'm okay with him being gone.

Plus Neal looked like a beast in the preseason last year and the few games he played in the regular season.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

I too would prefer to see Cullen back in GB. The lack of conversation on the part of GB staff on the issue leads me to believe that they are comfortable allowing the younger guys the opportunity to develope more.

Being the SB champs I would prefer they take a slightly different approach than they have in the past. I would like to see them acknowledge the fact that they have a pretty solid team and try and keep the components together that brought them the championship instead of being in the rebuilding mode.

"G-Force" wrote:

Well said wpr. I agree with you. I actually can't wait to see what Mike Neal develops into....hoping he stays healthy and doesn't make a right turn down Harrell Ave.

"wpr" wrote:

I am ok with a RIGHT turn down Harrell Ave. It is a LEFT turn that has me concerned.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago

Hillenmeyer, iirc was under Sherman and he was relegated to practice squad. They wanted to develop him for a year first, but the Bares nabbed him.

"wpr" wrote:

Yep Sherm was HC and GM in 2003.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Didn't Shern cut him and try to sneak him on the practice squad so we could keep a great punter?

I would like to see us be able to keep Jenkins also. If we can't, I hope he doesn't end up in our division, if he does, I hope he breaks the bank.

I wish Harrell could stay healthy, but based on his past, I would only keep him if he looks really great in camp. Otherwise, the chances of him being hurt during the season and leaving a hole in the DL would be too great a risk.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
13 years ago

Hillenmeyer, iirc was under Sherman and he was relegated to practice squad. They wanted to develop him for a year first, but the Bares nabbed him.

"wpr" wrote:

Yep Sherm was HC and GM in 2003.

"nerdmann" wrote:

That was that long ago.. egad.. time flies.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
macbob
13 years ago
Sad sad sad. I don't disagree with the decision, but it makes me feel a little bit like when Al Harris was cut.

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=6357§ion_id=40 

The last goodbye? Jenkins expects to leave

GREEN BAY There was a sadness in Cullen Jenkins voice that was unmistakable, but if you didnt want to read into the free-agent defensive ends tone of voice, all you needed to hear to get an idea of how little hope he has of returning to the Green Bay Packers was how he referred to the team.

Green Bay has a heck of a team. The talent level and the depth, especially on defense, they have a lot of big-time play-makers on it, Jenkins said during his appearance Wednesday on Green and Gold Today. Its a great defense. Green Bay definitely has an opportunity to compete, not just next year but years down the road. And it would be nice to be a part of that.

Green Bay, they. Not us, not we.

Jenkins, who first joined the Packers in training camp in 2003 as an undrafted free agent before being cut and made the roster for good in 2004, saw his four-year, $16 million contract he signed in February 2007 expire when the league year ended and the lockout began.

While his seventh season with the Packers was a challenging one he suffered a broken left hand in the first quarter of the Sept. 12 season opener at Philadelphia and also missed five regular-season games with a pulled calf he managed a career-best seven sacks in the regular season (second only to Clay Matthews on the team) and played in all four playoff games, registering seven tackles and a half-sack.

But having turned 30 in January and having battled injuries two of the last three seasons his 2008 season ended after four games because of a torn pectoral muscle it seems likely that general manager Ted Thompson will let Jenkins walk and turn his starting spot over to promising 2010 second-round pick Mike Neal, who played in just two games as a rookie because of a torn rotator cuff in his shoulder.

Mike has the ability to take over the game, Jenkins said. For him, its just a matter of getting in there and continuing to be a student of the game and learn it and hell take it over.

Jenkins certainly had that ability as well, with 31 sacks in 101 regular- and post-season games. While he did express his unhappiness in the 3-4 scheme midway through the 2009 season, he eventually found his comfort zone in the scheme and said hes not looking to leave so he can play in a 4-3 again, a la former Packers defensive end-turned-linebacker Aaron Kampman, now with Jacksonville.

Im a whole lot more comfortable. I had not played a 3-4 before; Id been in a 4-3 as long as Ive been playing defensive line, so it was a tough adjustment, Jenkins said. But for me to say Id only play in this scheme and Id only do this, that would be fighting against who I am as a player and what got me to where I am. The thing that has helped me out is being so versatile and being able to play in any scheme.

Jenkins reiterated what hed said after the season ended, that he approached the Packers before the season about a contract extension and that he was willing to give them the hometown discount because he wanted to stay in Green Bay, where his wife Pashun and daughters Jasmin and Ashanti enjoy living.

Heading into last year, Ive always been up there and always been a Packer, and I wanted to stay a Packer, Jenkins said. So we approached the team and wanted to get some type of security, some type of longer-term deal before the season so I would know I would be there. It wasnt about money, it was about security, about trying to see if we could work something out.

Asked directly if hed have taken less money to stay, Jenkins replied, Yeah. That was the thought then. I knew in going to them, I know Green Bay, I know the market, I know how they handle business, and the thought was if we could get something reasonable worked out, I knew I would take less than what I couldve gotten in free agency. But they never approached me with anything and never got any type of negotiations going. Its just how the business is. They had a lot of younger guys and felt they could move forward in that direction.

That said, the Packers depth chart at defensive end is hardly set. While Neal is coming off an injury, the Packers ends on the roster for Super Bowl XLV were starter Ryan Pickett, journeyman Howard Green and youngsters C.J. Wilson and Jarius Wynn.

Former starter Johnny Jolly, who it appeared the Packers were counting on to be reinstated from the reserve/suspended list, avoided prison time in his felony drug possession case but the future of his reinstatement application with the league is unclear. Meanwhile, the Packers took just one defensive lineman in the three-day NFL Draft last week seventh-round pick Lawrence Guy of Arizona State.

The possibility is there, I guess, Jenkins said. Its one of those things that Im not really looking into (though). Im just waiting for this lockout to be over with so I can figure out what options Im going to have. with this dragging on so long, its almost like you have to put it out of your mind and not think about it.

Its one of those things that tests your patience. For most players, its a matter of when they get to get back to work and when they get to start working out with their team. For me, id not even know that. Heck if the packers were to decide to get together and start holding workouts together with the players, I dont even know if I would be included in that.

That said, Jenkins said he cherishes his time in Green Bay and winning Super Bowl XLV in perhaps his final season I cant wait to get that ring on my finger show I can show it off, he said and said he doesnt harbor any ill will toward the Packers for not re-signing him before now.

I think a lot of people, they get a false sense of whats going on when people speak up or when people talk about whats happening, Jenkins replied when asked if he felt hed been treated fairly by the Packers. Throughout my whole career, Ive had a great time in Green Bay. The things that Ive gotten to experience heck, I was given my opportunity in Green Bay. And although this whole thing with them not approaching me about a contract and things like that, that may not be the way I would have liked things to happen, you cant base your whole experience with Green Bay off of that.

Green Bay is a first-class organization, its a heck of city to play in, its a heck of a city to have your family in, and the experience has been a heck of an experience up there.

540ESPNMilwaukee Jason Wilde wrote:

Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
What if he goes to another team and goes down with a season-ending injury in Week 2? How will you feel then?
UserPostedImage
Dulak
13 years ago

What if he goes to another team and goes down with a season-ending injury in Week 2? How will you feel then?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Could look at it that he missed a fair amount of games this season but still got the 2nd highest sack total.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
My point is just that there is no sense in getting attached to players. They always have to go sooner or later. It is possible he will leave and have a great career. It is possible he will leave and never be heard from again. It is impossible to know -- it is always a crapshoot. Whether or not he leaves, it won't be a devastating loss. This team will move on, and someone will step up to take his place. I would far rather see a player leave a year or two early than linger a year or two late.

In that regard, I am like Bill Belichick. Bite me. 😛
UserPostedImage
doddpower
13 years ago

My point is just that there is no sense in getting attached to players. They always have to go sooner or later. It is possible he will leave and have a great career. It is possible he will leave and never be heard from again. It is impossible to know -- it is always a crapshoot. Whether or not he leaves, it won't be a devastating loss. This team will move on, and someone will step up to take his place. I would far rather see a player leave a year or two early than linger a year or two late.

In that regard, I am like Bill Belichick. Bite me. :P

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

It doesn't have as much to do with being attached to a particular player for me as much as it is being attached to the production. Jenkins is a productive player and I believe has been 2nd in sacks 2 years in a row now despite missing several games. Will someone else step up? I certainly hope so. Neal looked like a beast in his brief playing time. Obviously, it has yet to be seen that he can fill the role though. Football is a game of risk management and sometimes the quantitative aspects of the game simply do not make it possible to retain a player. It doesn't mean his production won't be missed though. He's a talented player.

Hopefully someone fills the gap he leaves, whether is Neal, Wilson, Zombo, or a combination of 6 players. I could care less who or why, I just want the production.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.