Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I mentioned Baltimore because it was an example of Matt Ryan being entirely different than what he was today. Why? The situation called for it. As I said before, that is the mark of a great one.

I didn't know I needed to spell it out like that. I'll remember next time. :thumbleft:

I agree that Rodgers' drive was more clutch today, but let's not take away from Matt Ryan because Aaron didn't get his signature clutch come from behind road win. Ryan played to the situation, especially in the last drive. If Capers wants to bring pressure and leave the sideline open, then Ryan should take that, instead of forcing it like a previous Green Bay QB often did. Or even Peyton Manning against New England last week.

"porky88" wrote:

I think you just have a flat out boner for Matt Ryan and refuse objectivity, which is something I normally find with your comments. I am talking about this game, does that need to be spelled out? I said he did nothing special in this game. Yet, you bring in Baltimore? I know Matt Ryan is a very good quarterback, but how can you deny the fact that his running game doesn't help him?

You have a low barometer for being 'great', that's what I'm understanding. Trent Dilfer played similar, took what the defense gave him, got him a ring, but I don't think Trent was a great QB.

A great QB makes plays from nothing when it counts most. I've seen Matt Ryan do that a few times, but he did not do that this game. He did not do anything special on the final drive, that is what I am saying.

btw, I'm not knocking the obvious boner for Matt Ryan, nothing wrong with that at all.
UserPostedImage
millertime
13 years ago

A great QB makes plays from nothing when it counts most. I've seen Matt Ryan do that a few times, but he did not do that this game. He did not do anything special, that is what I am saying.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Completing 24 of 28 passes is special. Making something out of nothing? Are you saying that only QBs that scramble and complete improbable passes are great?

Sounds like years of Favre have transformed your idea of what a great QB is. Favre completing a crazy 4th and 12 play isn't anymore impressive than Tom Brady (or Matt Ryan) completing over 80% of their passes WITHOUT any interceptions!

Which QB did a better job protecting the ball today? The one that won. (This isn't a knock on Rodgers, b/c if we had any semblance of a running game we wouldn't expose him to all those QB sneaks.)

Rodgers made more plays today, but Ryan never turned the ball over. I'd still take Rodgers over him ANYDAY (could you imagine how good A-Rod would be with Michael Turner?), but Ryan play a PHENOMENAL game.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Completing 24 of 28 passes is special. Making something out of nothing? Are you saying that only QBs that scramble and complete improbable passes are great?

Sounds like years of Favre have transformed your idea of what a great QB is. Favre completing a crazy 4th and 12 play isn't anymore impressive than Tom Brady (or Matt Ryan) completing over 80% of their passes WITHOUT any interceptions!

Which QB did a better job protecting the ball today? The one that won. (This isn't a knock on Rodgers, b/c if we had any semblance of a running game we wouldn't expose him to all those QB sneaks.)

Rodgers made more plays today, but Ryan never turned the ball over. I'd still take Rodgers over him ANYDAY (could you imagine how good A-Rod would be with Michael Turner?), but Ryan play a PHENOMENAL game.

"millertime" wrote:

Brett was cardiac. He played all out and that's what I admired about him the most. Brett hasn't changed or conformed my thinking on what a good QB is, or does. My minor experience playing QB and analytical approach to the position have.

Yes, completing 24 out of 28 is pretty damn good. But I dig deeper, how far were those throws? How many went over 15 yards? If only two of them went farther than 15 yards, it is still a helluva an accomplishment.

However, I do not think he did anything special on the last drive. He took what the defense gave him, as others have said. I don't find that as special, or phenomenal. As I've also said, Matt Ryan has played some excellent games bringing his team back many times in his short career.

Matt Ryan DID play a very good game. As mentioned, 24 out of 28 is no slouch performance.
Matt Ryan was NOT special on the final drive of the game.
Matt Ryan is a very good QB. I'd say top three under 30 years old.
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago

I mentioned Baltimore because it was an example of Matt Ryan being entirely different than what he was today. Why? The situation called for it. As I said before, that is the mark of a great one.

I didn't know I needed to spell it out like that. I'll remember next time. :thumbleft:

I agree that Rodgers' drive was more clutch today, but let's not take away from Matt Ryan because Aaron didn't get his signature clutch come from behind road win. Ryan played to the situation, especially in the last drive. If Capers wants to bring pressure and leave the sideline open, then Ryan should take that, instead of forcing it like a previous Green Bay QB often did. Or even Peyton Manning against New England last week.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I think you just have a flat out boner for Matt Ryan and refuse objectivity, which is something I normally find with your comments. I am talking about this game, does that need to be spelled out? I said he did nothing special in this game. Yet, you bring in Baltimore? I know Matt Ryan is a very good quarterback, but how can you deny the fact that his running game doesn't help him?

You have a low barometer for being 'great', that's what I'm understanding. Trent Dilfer played similar, took what the defense gave him, got him a ring, but I don't think Trent was a great QB.

A great QB makes plays from nothing when it counts most. I've seen Matt Ryan do that a few times, but he did not do that this game. He did not do anything special on the final drive, that is what I am saying.

btw, I'm not knocking the obvious boner for Matt Ryan, nothing wrong with that at all.

"porky88" wrote:

I don't know where you're getting this idea that I don't believe the running game benefits Atlanta greatly. I wasn't even focusing on the running game.

I simply remarked that I believed Atlanta would win the game in regulation after GB scored with about a minute remaining. I think Matt Ryan is the reason why because he is one of the most clutch QBs in football. If anything, the Packers were guilty of scoring too soon.

That made you say Ryan was not special today, which I disagreed with.

I don't believe you understand just how hard it is for a QB to go 24-28 in a game. That kinda discipline with the football is rare and unheard of. The media rewards 300-yard games, but not the type of efficiency Ryan showed today. In my opinion, efficiency can be special pending the situation. Just like a 300-yard game can be special pending the situation. Today, both Ryan and Rodgers were special.

They did so in completely different ways because both QBs were in completely different situations. However, the result was the same. Both played amazing games. Ryan just had the football last.
zombieslayer
13 years ago

But Ryan has won in those ways. Ryan did so against Baltimore. He threw for 300-plus yards and three touchdowns. The Ravens shut down Turner. Ryan had to win that game.

Yeah, if the Packers can't stop the run, you run the football. Running the football is very easy when you can't be stopped. So you do that.

Ryan can win in almost every realistic scenario. It is very similar to Tom Brady.

Best Brady stat is his win and loss record in 350-plus yard and three touchdown games. He has six or seven and the Patriots are unbeaten. Why? The game planned called for that, but Brady has also proven he can win when throwing for 200 yards and a TD. He adapts to the situation.

I believe Ryan does so as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think Rodgers is there too. I don't mean to take anything away from him. He has been great and was again today. Don't take my praise of Ryan as criticism of Rodgers. Seems like a few of you are doing that.

"porky88" wrote:

Matt Ryan doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Tom Brady. Maybe we'll revisit this topic years from now, but until Ryan has a 50 TD vs 8 INT season and wins 3 SBs with very average WRs and a crappy running game (Roddy White is arguably the best WR in the NFL this season and is there any argument that Turner isn't an elite RB?), I'd rather not compare Ryan with Brady. He's not worthy, at all. That may change in the future, but like I said, we'll revisit this concept years from now. I highly doubt it though.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
bozz_2006
13 years ago
Maybe Porky was a little overzealous comparing Ryan to Brady, but it was to make a point. Just like you made it a point to bring up Brady's season with 50 TDs and only 8 INTs. You really think the only way a QB should be spoken of in the same conversation as Brady is if he's had a 50 TD / 8 INT season? That would be a very short conversation!
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago
It's more of an observation that they share similar traits than it is a direct comparison. Ryan is no Brady, but he has the traits that made Brady great. Like Brady, I don't always suspect Ryan will have the lofty numbers of a Peyton Manning, but I do believe he'll win a lot of games.

I said last week that I think Aaron Rodgers/Matt Ryan has a chance to be the next player rivalry of the NFL or of the 2010s. Doesn't mean it will, but it has a chance. Whether that translates into similar success for both is still along ways away.

Another example is I don't know how anyone can't watch Phillip Rivers and not think of Dan Marino a little bit. Rivers is no Marino either, but he commands himself in a similar manner. That is merely what I am saying.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I don't believe you understand just how hard it is for a QB to go 24-28 in a game.

"porky88" wrote:

You're right, I don't understand how hard it is to throw around 30 passes under 20 yards, completing more than 85% of them to receivers that generally have a wide passing window, and having a running back net over 100 yards on 23 carries.

Matt Ryan DID play a very good game. As mentioned, 24 out of 28 is no slouch performance.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Matt Ryan played an excellent game, 24 of 28 is very good, even if only averaging a little more than 8 yards a completion.
Matt Ryan's final drive was NOT special.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

When I think of special games by a QB, I think of games like Brett back in '03 against the Raiders. I have a higher barometer for a special game than what Matt Ryan did today.

I know that means I'm insecure about Aaron Rodgers and whatever other asinine insult you can fling at me.

I'll spell it out for a third (or more) time.
Matt Ryan is a very good QB, one of the top 3 under 30 years old, I believe.
Matt Ryan played a very good game against the Packers.
Matt Ryan's final drive was not special.

PS, I seen the same segment that compared Marion with Rivers. it was neat.
UserPostedImage
BangTheDrum
13 years ago
Let's not forget the defense did nothing in terms of rushing the passer or creating turnovers
UserPostedImage
Ba da da, Ba dadada GO PACK GO
porky88
13 years ago

I don't believe you understand just how hard it is for a QB to go 24-28 in a game.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

You're right, I don't understand how hard it is to throw around 30 passes under 20 yards, completing more than 85% of them to receivers that generally have a wide passing window, and having a running back net over 100 yards on 23 carries.

"porky88" wrote:

Matt Ryan played an excellent game, 24 of 28 is very good, even if only averaging a little more than 8 yards a completion.
Matt Ryan's final drive was NOT special.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

When I think of special games by a QB, I think of games like Brett back in '03 against the Raiders. I have a higher barometer for a special game than what Matt Ryan did today.

I know that means I'm insecure about Aaron Rodgers and whatever other asinine insult you can fling at me.

I'll spell it out for a third (or more) time.
Matt Ryan is a very good QB, one of the top 3 under 30 years old, I believe.
Matt Ryan played a very good game against the Packers.
Matt Ryan's final drive was not special.

PS, I seen the same segment that compared Marion with Rivers. it was neat.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I am sorry you took that comment as an insult Zero. It was not meant as insult, but I don't take back what I said. Packer fans are sensitive about Aaron Rodgers. They were about Brett Favre too. Most fans are about their proven players, but things have escalated because of circumstances.

However, I will always look at things without my green and gold glasses on. Not to say you don't, but you did say the following

I thought we were talking about today's game, in which he did nothing special. Rodgers drive to tie the game, that was more 'clutch' than Ryan's four or five passes to to get a first down or two for his kicker to win the game.

Which I actually agreed with, but case in point, you went out of your way to compare Ryan to Rodgers, when I did no such thing. In a loss, you dont go out of your way to do that without some sort of objective. For the record, I never said the final drive was special. I think his entire body of work for this game was special or pretty amazing. Reasons have been stated.

His final drive was routine. He let the game come to him on that drive and they won. I saw that coming. The Packers scored too early.

Perhaps I will find that I overrated his performance on a second viewing, but I will not agree that he did nothing special in this game or he just put on a Trent Dilfer impression. You dont produce those numbers in a close win on accident.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (13h) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.