Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
This weeks installment.

Falcons hoping for complete game against Packers 

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH With the streaking Green Bay Packers coming to town and a possible home-field playoff advantage at stake, it might be time for the Falcons to produce that elusive "Complete Game" they keep clamoring about.

While crafting the best record in the NFC at 8-2, the Falcons have also been gnashing their teeth over their inability to put together a full 60-minute game, where they dominate an opponent from beginning to end.

"I think it's a lack of consistency," Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan said Monday. "That's why we haven't been able to do it. I'm not sure as to why, but the biggest thing that we need to do is remain focused on the process."

The Falcons believe that continued preparation and attention to detail will eventually lead to them clicking for a full game. With six games left and the NFC playoff picture starting to take shape, the timing would be fortuitous.

The Packers are tied for first place with Chicago in the NFC North. Since losing to Miami 23-20 on Oct. 17, the 7-3 Packers have won three straight and have outscored their opposition 85-10.

The Falcons need a victory to secure the head-to-head tie-breaker against the Packers and to stay in front of several teams.

New Orleans (7-3) and Tampa Bay (7-3) are a game back in the NFC South.

In the NFC East, Philadelphia (7-3) and the New York Giants (6-4) are both in good playoff position.

In the sub-par NFC West, Seattle (5-5) is a game up on St. Louis (4-6) and two games up on San Francisco (3-7) and Arizona (3-7).

The Falcons opened the season with a loss and then ripped off four straight wins. They followed up a loss to Philadelphia by winning the next four games.

But they also needed late-game heroics to beat Cincinnati, Tampa Bay and Baltimore. They trailed in the third quarter against the Rams last Sunday before dominating down the stretch.

"We've just made the plays when we needed to," said Ryan, who directed a seven-play, 80-yard touchdown drive in the final 65 seconds to beat Baltimore on Nov. 11.

The Falcons know it will be difficult to keep their the current four-game winning streak going against the Packers. Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers has the second-highest quarterback rating in the NFC and linebacker Clay Matthews leads the league with 11 1/2 sacks.

"You need to string them together in this league in order to be relevant in December," Ryan said. "Hopefully, we'll be playing beyond the regular season. So we've done a good job in both of those stretches and the last four. But that's something that we need to continue throughout the year."

As a rookie, Ryan led the Falcons to 27-24 victory over the Packers at Lambeau Field on Oct. 5, 2008.

On Sunday, Ryan and the offense was close to operating at full throttle against the Rams. They scored on four straight possessions after starting the game with a three-and-out drive. They finished the game by scoring on three of four drives.

However, four of their scores were field goals. Three of the field goals came after drives stalled at the 11-, 6- and 3-yard lines.

"We moved the ball effectively in our no-huddle offense," Falcons coach Mike Smith said. "We'd like to finish those drives off with touchdowns instead of field goals."

Ryan thinks the offense will do just fine in the red zone.

"We still need to clean some things up," Ryan said. "There are a lot of areas where we need to improve. That's going to be our focus this week."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago
Nothing real juicy... but more.

Smitty makes plea for fans to be on time, loud for Packers 

4:20 pm November 22, 2010, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH Tell your preacher to let you out of Sunday service early.

Take the MARTA if traffic is your issue.

Cut the tailgate off a little bit earlier.

Basically, as Kim Zolciak sings, Dont be Tardy for the Party!

Falcons coach Mike Smith, who is 18-3 in the Georgia Dome in three seasons, is asking the fans to be on time and loud for Sundays 1 p.m. game against the Green Bay Packers.

I just want to talk a little bit about the upcoming game and how important it is for our fans to get out there, Smith said. We want it to be like Thursday night (against the Baltimore Ravens). That was a big advantage for us as a football team to have the fans in the stands, rocking and rolling.

The Falcons are 8-2 and have the best record in the NFC. Green Bay is 7-3.

It should be a good game, Smith said. The Green Bay Packers are on a roll. They are playing good football. It ought to be an exciting afternoon. We are hoping that everyone will come and help us win the game.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
13 years ago
I read that this morning, and what struck me as the most interesting is the commentary.

Atlanta fans are (in large part) NOT HAPPY with the media praise that the Pack has been getting, especially Peter King and his MMQB article throwing us out as #1 in his fine fifteen.

...Just as many commenters in that article argue that knocking off the Pack would propel them into "increased respect" / whatever you want to call it-

If we go down to Atlanta and knock them off, especially in light of their home field record-well, imo--A young team like ours would get a fantastic "momentum boost" that exceeds the win itself.

That's my long version of beating hotlanta would be awesome. :thumbleft:
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago
Falcons Fan Board. Some select comments.

Thoughts on the Packers 

With the Green Bay Packers coming into town (and they seem to be the new team to beat this week listening to all the pundits), I wanted to take a look at what theyve done that is so impressive.

Looking at their schedule, they beat Philadelphia, the opening weekend of the season. Kevin Kolb started the game, but Michael Vick came in and finished the game 16 of 24, 175 yards passing, one touchdown thrown and a quarterback rating of 101.9. He also had 103 yards rushing. After that they beat Buffalo (but then other than Detroit and Cincinnati, who hasnt). They lost to Chicago, barely squeaked out a win with Detroit, lost to Washington and Detroit and as of late theyve got on a four-game win streak beating Dallas, the New York Jets (3 field goals) and two against the Vikings.

Comparably, we lost our opener against Pittsburgh, we blew out Arizona, squeaked a win out against New Orleans and San Francisco, we beat Cleveland, lost a hard one to Philadelphia, and weve gone on a four-game win streak beating Cincinnati, Tampa Bay (wild-card contender), Baltimore (formerly #1 ranked team in the power rankings), and our so called trap game against St. Louis that we won convincingly.

Aaron Rodgers is 214/334 with a 64.1 completion percentage for 2,601 yards and a rating of 95.7.

Matt Ryan is 238/377 with a 63.1 completion percentage for 2,518 yards and a rating of 92.9. Only three spaces sit between Rodgers (ranked 7th) and Ryan (ranked 10th).

Michael Turner has 864 yds on 200 carries while Brandon Jackson has 488 yds on 122 carries.

Roddy White has 79 receptions for 1,1017 yds while Greg Jennings has 703 yds after 46 receptions.

Passing yards Green Bay( 247.1) 11th Atlanta (242) 13th

Rushing yards Green Bay( 100.5 ) 7th Atlanta (129) 7th

Opp passing yards Green Bay(211.3) 11th Atlanta (244.1) 24th

Opp rushing yards Green Bay( 112.1) 18th Atlanta (95.4) 6th

Overall what I am seeing is two very evenly matched teams with this game having the potential to go down to the last drive. If thats the case, we all know what happens. Home in the Dome? The Falcons win a close one.

"93Mustangs" wrote:

They're a very good team but looking at your breakdown of their wins and losses they don't seem that tough. I know they will be though.

I'm also starting to feel better about our team after that Philly loss (I said it would take me a while to get completely over that one).

The impressive thing to me is how they've responded after all their major injuries.

Jennings, Driver, Jones...all very talented and will be tough to deal with. As far as matching up with our secondary it kind of feels like the Cincy game with regards to their talent at receiver.

They're aggressive on D but I like our chances to give Matt time against the blitz and burn them there.

Toss-up...

"Slamee101" wrote:

The thing that concerns me about this game is the pass defense. Green Bay is kind of like the Saints in that they are pass-heavy, and I can see GB's game plan being to throw a lot of 7-10 yard passes and see how their YAC works out for them. As long as we're talking statistics, let's not forget that we still give up a lot of yards in the passing game. If our pass rush isn't better than it was against St. Louis, our offense is going to have to have a great game to keep up.

"Dessert Falcon" wrote:

They remind me of the Saints but the thing is Rodgers is great but he isnt Brees and he isnt as accurate as Brees. Another thing is we can take advantage of their pass protection and lack of a strong run game. They have some great receivers that can create mismatches against us in the secondary so we need to get after Rodgers. This game is a toss up but its hard to bet against the Falcons at home.

"DirtyBirdSupaBowl" wrote:

Bottom line against these guys is I don't want to get in a shoot out.

We need to control the ball..ie a heavy dose of Michael Turner this week,I can't remember the last time we lost a game if Turner puts up good rushing numbers.

Do what we have been doing..no turnovers.

Defensively Pass Rush is huge this week we need to get to Rodgers force him to get rid of the ball quickly if not I think our secondary is in for along day.

I'm still confident though they probably have as much trepedation about this game as winning in fortress Atlanta is one of the toughest places to win in the league since the regime has been in place.

"kiwifalcon" wrote:

This is a very good team. Not a lot of weaknesses but one sort of glaring one in their offensive line. It is very important that JA55 plays this weekend. We HAVE to get pressure on Rodgers like we did against Flacco. Their receivers are too talented and will get open if they get time to run.

As far as their defense goes they get some pressure. Matthews is among the best in the league at getting to the QB. Not a whole lot to worry about outside of him though. Their secondary is solid. Woodson is a stud but, again, outside of him nothing really sticks out. Collins is somewhat of a ballhawk but he's no Ed Reed or Troy P.

I've discussed this game with my friend who is a Packer fan a few times already. We both agreed it's going to be a very hard fought game, possibly a preview of the NFCCG. Obviously he thinks they have the edge and I think the opposite.

This will be a key game, the winner would hold the edge on the #1 seed and home field throughout the playoffs.

" CDuB2009" wrote:

Yeah, they managed to win strong against a terrible terrible terrible Cowboys team, and a terrible terrible terrible Minnesota game. They barely squeaked out a win against Detroit, and that was with significant players in action. Didn't they lose to Washington? And Miami?

"sporkdevil" wrote:

mi_keys
13 years ago
I agree with a lot of what the Atlanta fans are saying. I think it will come down to pressure on the quarterbacks and protecting the football. Just like they are worried about our receivers if we have time, Roddy White is arguably the best in the league and even with our secondary we can't give him time to run around the field.

The only thing I disagree with is the two of them that assert that our wins don't compare to theirs. One of them talks about barely winning against Detroit (who has been close in virtually every game) whereas they ignore the fact they barely beat San Francisco. They downplay our win against the Jets because we only scored 9 points but we won at New York and by more than they beat Baltimore by (and they beat them on a blatant offensive pass interference, not like they crapped on them). We beat Philadelphia who they lost to. They downplay us beating Buffalo as a who hasn't done that but ignore the same thing with Arizona. They also make the Rams game seem like it was extremely difficult when they're 4-6 with a rookie quarterback and no wins against winning teams (to my knowledge, same can be said about Tampa btw).

The schedules both teams have played have been pretty similar I feel and it will be a tightly fought game.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago
But in the Jets game.. we were given two picks that were questionable at best if we start wanting to get into they won on a pass interference.

Just saying. 😉 {awaits the chorus of repeats or objections to the phrase}
13 years ago
They did, however, unwittingly make the point that we've been a better team with the least of our usual starters on the field. Weird year, eh?

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

13 years ago

They did, however, unwittingly make the point that we've been a better team with the least of our usual starters on the field. Weird year, eh?

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

Very weird year. I'm already looking forward to the preseason 2011 power rankings. "Green Bay won the Superbowl in convincing fashion, and now they have what seems like half of their team coming back from injury. Can anyone play with them?" :lol:
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
13 years ago

But in the Jets game.. we were given two picks that were questionable at best if we start wanting to get into they won on a pass interference.

"pack93z" wrote:

Maybe they were questionable, maybe they weren't. I, in my completely and utterly unbiased :onfloor: opinion, feel they never had possession so they can't be down but that debate has already taken its course. The point is you can't put ours down and flaunt theirs. For the record I think their win against Baltimore was very impressive and I'm not trying to take anything from them.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago

"mi_keys" wrote:

Maybe they were questionable, maybe they weren't. I, in my completely and utterly unbiased :onfloor: opinion, feel they never had possession so they can't be down but that debate has already taken its course. The point is you can't put ours down and flaunt theirs. For the record I think their win against Baltimore was very impressive and I'm not trying to take anything from them.

"pack93z" wrote:

Just getting you back for you correcting me in the Run it Up thread. 😉
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (23h) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

27-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.