Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JNelson87  
#31 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:06:05 PM(UTC)
JNelson87

Rank: Fresh Cheesehead

Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)


Yep, his first draft pick as GM of the Packers.
UserPostedImage
Offline go.pack.go.  
#32 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:11:06 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 11/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 44

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
No way, GPG. Because, you see, he hasn't won any games inside of 2 minutes yet. How could you make such a rookie mistake? :P


Please excuse for my awful mistake :)
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline blueleopard  
#33 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:09:28 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/22/2008(UTC)

Applause Received: 70

Jennings is a Ted Thompson player that he valued out of the gate. Remember, the draft class was weak in that area, and Chad Jackson and Santonio Holmes. Holmes is a playmaker but very inconsistent where as Jackson was cut by the Patriots and now is struggling to make the Raiders' roster. The Raiders!

Jennings gets re-signed. Easily. After Driver retires, Jennings can easily be the face because he's become very vocal this season.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline DakotaT  
#34 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:48:02 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 658
Applause Received: 1,347

This has been an interesting thread no doubt. What I want to know is what does everyone think is a number 1 receiver? Since the early 90's I view the Packers as only having 2 legitimate #1 wide receivers - Sharpe and (cough) Walker.

Don't get me wrong, we have had awesome receivers, which Jennings is apart of. But I don't consider him a #1 wide out because of his size, and in this offense where you need to have to go over middle constantly, size does matter.

I think the Packers get away with not having a numer 1 wideout because each receiver is very good. When it comes down to Jenning's contract, I really think it may get ugly, because Greg has had such good stats and is a very cerebral player. I don't mind Jennings getting overpaid, God knows we've overpaid for the likes of Smoking Joe Johnson and Cletidus, maybe one of the good guys should get the money once.
UserPostedImage
Offline bozz_2006  
#35 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:52:42 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 7/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

Driver is our guy that goes over the middle now. what is he, one inch taller than Jennings?

Who, in your opinion, are the number one receivers in the league right now? I know your angle, and i know what you're saying, but i don't think a WR has to be able to carry the entire offense to be considered a #1 receiver. semantics, i guess.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#36 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:10:30 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 658
Applause Received: 1,347

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Driver is our guy that goes over the middle now. what is he, one inch taller than Jennings?

Who, in your opinion, are the number one receivers in the league right now? I know your angle, and i know what you're saying, but i don't think a WR has to be able to carry the entire offense to be considered a #1 receiver. semantics, i guess.


What do you mean, he doesn't have to carry the offense? With the kind of jack a number 1 receiver makes, he better. Who do I think is a number one receiver: Fitzgerald, Plaxico (we'll leave his upcoming trial alone here), Marshall in Denver, the kid in Houston (Johnson?).

My post is not a knock on Jennings, because I think he is an exceptional receiver, but teams aren't shifting their whole defense around to stop him, yet. Let's see what he does next year.
UserPostedImage
Offline bozz_2006  
#37 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 1:15:44 AM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 7/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 20
Applause Received: 14

My only point was to clarify what you would define a #1 WR as. is your point that Jennings doesn't have what it takes to be one of the highest paid receivers in the league?
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#38 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 1:27:53 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 362

I fully expect Thompson to offer Jennings a contract at least at the level of what Lee Evans got. 4 years 40 million range. How that is spread out and how much is guaranteed is hard to say, but I would not be surprised if the guarantee is in the 20 million range.

Get the extension done before there is any chance of other bidding. IMO it would not be a wise move to let Jennings go. Yes Driver is still around, but Jennings is the only other player that has shown he can be an elite WR out of the others. sure Jones and Nelson have potential, but Jennings had a very good rookie year, and never showed a sophomore slump and come up big in 08'

DD is not going to be around for ever and Jennings appears to be a player that will be the face of the WR corp for foreseeable future. Sure any play he could be done for ever. that is always the gamble a team takes with any players. But gambling that he could be let go and another players steps up a much bigger gamble IMO.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#39 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:02:54 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 658
Applause Received: 1,347

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
My only point was to clarify what you would define a #1 WR as. is your point that Jennings doesn't have what it takes to be one of the highest paid receivers in the league?


I think Jennings has some physical limitations that would keep him from being a top five receiver year to year. And I agree with the title of this thread that Jennings won't be easy to sign because his agent will come in high, Ted will low ball, and then it will ugly as these things usually do.

People say we should extend him now, which I think has already been offered and rejected. Greg is going to go for his payday, which he should. It will definitely be a subject we will discuss many times in the next few years.
UserPostedImage
Offline blueleopard  
#40 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:25:18 AM(UTC)
blueleopard

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/22/2008(UTC)

Applause Received: 70

I don't think we'll have a legitimate #1 receiver until Aaron Rodgers shows that he favors some receivers over others.

Right now, it doesn't look like it'll happen soon. If you look at the numbers he put up, he did an outstanding job spreading the ball around. The only thing I would've liked to see was more opportunities for D. Lee.

I judge #1 receivers by how much the opposing defense has to plan against him. Only a few receivers have that distinction--that belongs to Terrell Owens and Randy Moss and more recently... Larry Fitzgerald. You can throw Andre Johnson into the mix too, it's just that he plays for a horrible team.

Only one smaller receiver has that dynamic spunk to him--that's Steve Smith. You can say what you want about his attitude and say he's overrated--but look at the Panthers game we should've won this season. Aside from the fact that our defense and special teams choked big time, you just KNEW it was going to be Smith making the play. Had Smith not been on the field--we win.

In terms of potential, Greg Jennings probably won't be looked at as a "Dynamic #1", but he's definitely considered elite. Coming out of college, he drew comparisons to Marvin Harrison. Marvin Harrison is about the same size as Jennings and Driver, and Harrison is probably going to be going to the Hall of Fame one day because of his attitude and his consistency.

Jennings has to stay consistent, and he'll be a "Mr. Reliable" type of receiver.

He has the potential to be better than Marvin Harrison too. I can't think of any receiver who has his breakaway capabilities. Even early on in Harrison's career, he wasn't the same playmaker Jennings currently is. Harrison just breaks ankles with his route running.

Back to the payday--fair value for him is somewhere upwards of 35-40 million dollars. Something similar to what Lee Evans is paid, as someone stated.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#41 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:39:52 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 362

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I don't think we'll have a legitimate #1 receiver until Aaron Rodgers shows that he favors some receivers over others.

Right now, it doesn't look like it'll happen soon. If you look at the numbers he put up, he did an outstanding job spreading the ball around. The only thing I would've liked to see was more opportunities for D. Lee.

I judge #1 receivers by how much the opposing defense has to plan against him. Only a few receivers have that distinction--that belongs to Terrell Owens and Randy Moss and more recently... Larry Fitzgerald. You can throw Andre Johnson into the mix too, it's just that he plays for a horrible team.

Only one smaller receiver has that dynamic spunk to him--that's Steve Smith. You can say what you want about his attitude and say he's overrated--but look at the Panthers game we should've won this season. Aside from the fact that our defense and special teams choked big time, you just KNEW it was going to be Smith making the play. Had Smith not been on the field--we win.

In terms of potential, Greg Jennings probably won't be looked at as a "Dynamic #1", but he's definitely considered elite. Coming out of college, he drew comparisons to Marvin Harrison. Marvin Harrison is about the same size as Jennings and Driver, and Harrison is probably going to be going to the Hall of Fame one day because of his attitude and his consistency.

Jennings has to stay consistent, and he'll be a "Mr. Reliable" type of receiver.

He has the potential to be better than Marvin Harrison too. I can't think of any receiver who has his breakaway capabilities. Even early on in Harrison's career, he wasn't the same playmaker Jennings currently is. Harrison just breaks ankles with his route running.

Back to the payday--fair value for him is somewhere upwards of 35-40 million dollars. Something similar to what Lee Evans is paid, as someone stated.


Do we really want Rodgers to start throwing to any single WR more. I don't think so. It has been said that Sharpe leaving was the best thing for Favre because he learned to throw to other WRs and he was praised for spreading the ball around after that.

Rodgers has been spreading the ball around from day 1. I would prefer having 4 WR with 900 yards that 1 or 2 with 1000-1200. I hope he keeps spreading it around. that makes the life of defenses more difficult.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline blueleopard  
#42 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 5:13:17 AM(UTC)
blueleopard

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/22/2008(UTC)

Applause Received: 70

The post was made with the intention of saying that with the way Rodgers is playing, he doesn't need an all-pro WR because it's all within the system and how smart everyone on the team is.

Then I go on to talk about what Jennings is bound for, whether he remains a Packer or not.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#43 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:17:16 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I would prefer having 4 WR with 900 yards that 1 or 2 with 1000-1200. I hope he keeps spreading it around. that makes the life of defenses more difficult.


I agree with this wholeheartedly. For one thing, having multiple lower-yardage WRs keeps them cheaper. ;) More importantly, though, fewer tackles puts less wear and tear on them, increasing their longevity. No. 1 receivers who are fortunate enough to last tend to catch the eyes of teams desperate for deep-threat talent, who are willing to drop a fortune on them. There, they get ridden like donkeys.

Randy Moss was an exception to this trend, because he virtually disappeared in Oakland. Then again, last season may have been an anomaly borne of a fantastic confluence of factors. After all, his statistics came crashing back down to earth this year. He was solid, but hardly spectacular: 1,008 yards for 11 TDs vs. 1,493 yards for 23 TDs in 2007. Maybe Ted Thompson's decision to pass on Moss wasn't so terrible after all. (Yes, yes, I know the almighty Brady was out this year, but if anything, you'd think the fledgling first-year starter would have been even more dependent on his marquee receiver.)

I don't want to see Greg Jennings leave any more than the next guy, but if he was bait for a monster offensive lineman who would protect our QB from having to run for his life every play, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Even with lesser receivers, I can see Rodgers throwing for more yards and more TDs if he were given more time to plant his feet.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#44 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:33:02 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 658
Applause Received: 1,347

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
I would prefer having 4 WR with 900 yards that 1 or 2 with 1000-1200. I hope he keeps spreading it around. that makes the life of defenses more difficult.


I agree with this wholeheartedly. For one thing, having multiple lower-yardage WRs keeps them cheaper. ;) More importantly, though, fewer tackles puts less wear and tear on them, increasing their longevity. No. 1 receivers who are fortunate enough to last tend to catch the eyes of teams desperate for deep-threat talent, who are willing to drop a fortune on them. There, they get ridden like donkeys.

Randy Moss was an exception to this trend, because he virtually disappeared in Oakland. Then again, last season may have been an anomaly borne of a fantastic confluence of factors. After all, his statistics came crashing back down to earth this year. He was solid, but hardly spectacular: 1,008 yards for 11 TDs vs. 1,493 yards for 23 TDs in 2007. Maybe Ted Thompson's decision to pass on Moss wasn't so terrible after all. (Yes, yes, I know the almighty Brady was out this year, but if anything, you'd think the fledgling first-year starter would have been even more dependent on his marquee receiver.)

I don't want to see Greg Jennings leave any more than the next guy, but if he was bait for a monster offensive lineman who would protect our QB from having to run for his life every play, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Even with lesser receivers, I can see Rodgers throwing for more yards and more TDs if he were given more time to plant his feet.


Boy you took that a lot farther than I was willing to. Would it be safe to say that we will be drafting another receiver, probably as high as the third round?
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#45 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:51:13 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

If history is any indication, I would say yes.
UserPostedImage
 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
4 Pages<1234>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.528 seconds.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2h / Random Babble / Smokey

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

6h / Random Babble / Gilligan

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

7h / Random Babble / Smokey

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

8h / Random Babble / Cheesey

8h / Random Babble / Cheesey

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann


Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.