Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline uffda udfa  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:25:52 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 140
Applause Received: 140

I just read an article on Yahoo! Sports about Mike McCarthy being very upset about guys who aren't practicing. Strangely, the article focused all of this upon Nick Perry and neglected to mention Clay Matthews is oft injured, also.

The article suggested Nick Perry might be fighting for a starting spot and maybe even a roster spot? I say no way in the world this team is giving up on Nick Perry. He was a higher draft pick than Sherrod and has played a heckuva lot more than Derek and also been far more productive when he has. If they weren't going to cut Sherrod why in the world would they cut Perry?
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Sponsor
Online Dulak  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:44:58 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 153
Applause Received: 100

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
I just read an article on Yahoo! Sports about Mike McCarthy being very upset about guys who aren't practicing. Strangely, the article focused all of this upon Nick Perry and neglected to mention Clay Matthews is oft injured, also.

The article suggested Nick Perry might be fighting for a starting spot and maybe even a roster spot? I say no way in the world this team is giving up on Nick Perry. He was a higher draft pick than Sherrod and has played a heckuva lot more than Derek and also been far more productive when he has. If they weren't going to cut Sherrod why in the world would they cut Perry?

cuz mike likes to keep OL guys forever when they are higher in the draft ... even if the OL guys are injured ...

Id like nick perry on our team again ...
Offline mi_keys  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:57:57 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 345

Because it's the offseason and they have no insight yet they still need to write an article.
Born and bred a cheesehead
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 6/18/2014(UTC), rabidgopher04 on 6/19/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:09:59 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,894
Applause Received: 2,092

I don't believe there is any reason to consider cutting Nick Perry. When he is on the field, he is pushing his guy all over the place and usually getting through or around them. The rookie year he had I thought it was more of a freak thing. And he still played games with that broken wrist and was effective.

They kept Mike Neal around, they will keep Nick Perry around too.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 6/18/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:15:23 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,496
Applause Received: 624

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I don't believe there is any reason to consider cutting Nick Perry. When he is on the field, he is pushing his guy all over the place and usually getting through or around them. The rookie year he had I thought it was more of a freak thing. And he still played games with that broken wrist and was effective.

Occasionally they'll leak criticism of a player's work habits to send them a message.

I'd rather see them move Perry to the right side than cut him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker on 6/18/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:18:24 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,900
Applause Received: 1,408

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
Because it's the offseason and they have no insight yet they still need to write an article.

yep. If there is nothing to talk about- make something up. It will be good for a week and then do it again.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Online Mucky Tundra  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:32:44 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 336
Applause Received: 412

Since it's a yahoo article, I'm gonna assume it's some user contributed garbage.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

While he gets a ton of flak for all the time missed from injuries, Perry has shown the willingness to play through said injuries (the wrist, the broken foot).
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:04:14 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Perry has no business playing on the left side opposite Matthews, now that we have added a few other pass rushers on the left. If anything, Perry should be relegated to working in a rotation with Matthews on the right, Perry's most effective side of the line.

I cannot see this team letting Perry walk, and, why should they? We needed at least two other pass rushers opposite Matthews along with a quality backup for Matthews, and I believe we now have them in Peppers and Bradford, and quite possibly Neal and Hubbard. The real beauty being Peppers' and Neal's ability to play more than one position in our front 7.

I do think Perry has pigeon holed himself on the left, which is not a bad thing if he can be effective, but he does have competition. Andy Mulumba came in looking much bigger than he was last season. Maybe he pushes Perry for a spot... but, like Z2C said, they kept Neal around all these years. It just would not be like Thompson to let Perry walk.

Sure wouldn't mind seeing a healthy season from Perry though. He looks great for a short period, then wham! Back in the hot tub. Pretty damn frustrating as a fan wanting to see him do well.

Seems this could come down to some very difficult decisions in determining our roster of LBs to make the team in 2014:

Currently, I believe these 6 players are locks to make it (I'm lumping Peppers in with the DL):
Carl Bradford
A J Hawk
Clay Matthews
Mike Neal
Jamari Lattimore
Nick Perry

I believe these players are going to be fighting for either 3 or 4 remaining LB positions on the final 53:
Brad Jones
Sam Barrington
Adrian Hubbard
Nate Palmer
Jake Doughty
Andy Mulumba
Shaun Lewis

Now, if Perry somehow does get bounced out of the "locks" group, I guess anything could happen. We kept 9 LBs total in 2012 and 2013, and 10 LBs in 2011. Ted kept 8 LBs on board in 2010.

Looking at that list it is plain to see this is going to be a very, very competitive camp for roster positions. I guess if Perry cannot prove he will be available and healthy, that won't bode well for his future here. Nick Perry needs a good TC and Preseason, healthy, available.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:02:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline uffda udfa  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:41:31 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 140
Applause Received: 140

I'm not so sure Lattimore or even Carl Bradford are locks. That group as a whole is pretty weak. Matthews is the only true sure thing and he's china. The rest of our LB crew is average to below. Neal is skilled but not really a LB. I hope ONE guy out of all those listed can finally do something opposite Matthews. I think our LB corps as a whole is our weak link on this team with our DL not being all that much better as a group. It's little wonder we've struggled on D.

We are in our last year of having to keep AJ Hawk due to salary cap reasons. Watching him depart will be a glorious moment to me.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Online steveishere  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:53:41 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 916

We don't really know the extent of Perrys injury situation but he's still a candidate for the PUP. That's a lot more likely than him straight getting cut.
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:32:22 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,496
Applause Received: 624

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Perry has no business playing on the left side opposite Matthews, now that we have added a few other pass rushers on the left. If anything, Perry should be relegated to working in a rotation with Matthews on the right, Perry's most effective side of the line.

Agreed. They're both too goddamn brittle, so they should both be on a pitch count to keep them healthy. And Perry is significantly better on that side.

If you want your bigger guys on the left to help stuff the run, the Neal and Peppers are your guys.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:51:27 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 650
Applause Received: 1,338

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
yep. If there is nothing to talk about- make something up. It will be good for a week and then do it again.

In politics they call this the Benghazi.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 6/18/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:55:16 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 650
Applause Received: 1,338

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
I think our LB corps as a whole is our weak link on this team with our DL not being all that much better as a group. It's little wonder we've struggled on D.

We are in our last year of having to keep AJ Hawk due to salary cap reasons. Watching him depart will be a glorious moment to me.

Considering the 3-4 is a linebacker defense, this is an epic fail for Ted Thompson ! Hawk, Matthews, and Perry all being first round picks, our linebacking corps should be a lot better.
UserPostedImage