Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:04:40 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,960
Applause Received: 1,428

LombardiAve wrote:
To Whom It May Concern, I am sending out this letter in advance of the upcoming 2014 NFL Draft. Please look it over carefully, as we have had some misinterpretations of our standards in the past. The Green Bay Packers are in the market for some young talent.
The positions for which we are immediately hiring are:

SAFETY
LINEBACKERS (preferably inside, but will consider outstanding applications for outside)
DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
TIGHT END

The positions for which we are reviewing applications for potential competition:

CORNERBACK
BACKUP QUARTERBACK
OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

UserPostedImage
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:39:10 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 304
Applause Received: 423

Note to Ted Thompson

Ted,

Time to change, let all of The Packers(20) Fa's go , with the 20 to 30 mil you have to spend, sign 1 overpriced UFA, preferably a S or D-lineman, but don't forget about ILB.

Sign 2 or 3 2nd tier guys who probably won't be as good as the guys you let walk, but at least they will be different.

Then do as you have done in the past with the draft, turn your 7 picks into 10 or 11, these guys of course are now guaranteed to make the team, and you can also bring in 5-10 UFA, and of course at least 2 of them will make the final 53.

Seriously, tired of having a team with a "few" proven veterans, and a bunch of "young guys", full of potential. Especially when these "young" guys end of starting because of injury

Reality says The Packers can't keep all their URFA's, but most can be resigned.

Tough choices to be made, but Raji, EDS, James Jones, J. Finley, C.J. Wilson and M.D. Jennings are guys that will probably not be in Green Bay next year.

Raji and Jennings can walk without anyone caring, the rest are tough choices that will need to be made.
I hate the thought of letting EDS, Jones, Wilson, and a healthy Finley go, but all those positions have guys waiting to step up and become starters.

Would be nice to see Flynn, Quarless, Starks, and Kuhn back on offense.

Jolly, Pickett, Francois, Lattimore, Neal, Banjo and most importantly Sam Shields back on Defense.

The Packers need Jolly and Pickett back for the transition to the D. Jones's and Josh Boyd's on the roster.
I don't care how much talent a player has, if there is no veteran presence to show these guys how to be an NFL player, then a lot of times all that talent is wasted.

The linebacker position is solid, if AND IT'S A BIG IF, these guys can just stay healthy.

Brad Jones had a down year, partially because of nagging injuries, but Ted Thompson has invested to much in him to let him walk this year, he will rebound.

I said it last year(even though some won't believe it), I think The Packers drafted Hawk's replacement in 2013, with Lattimore already on the roster, I figured 2013 to be that transition year, but of course A.J. Hawk ended up playing almost every down again because of injuries.
Hopefully 2014 will be the transition year I believed 2013 was suppose to be.
Time for Sam Barrington to make that 2nd year leap.

On offense, the big ? will be who plays center, plenty of talent, don't care who it is, just as I said last year, name your 5 starters early in camp and let them develop as A UNIT!!!

As for the draft Ted,

turn your 7 picks into 4-2nd round picks and draft 4 guys with a high football mentality and give them a chance to develope.

Trade out of the 1st rnd, for an additional 2nd rnd and other picks, then use those additional picks with your 3rd - 7th rnd picks to move back into the 2nd rnd.

You will still have 2-Comp. picks coming, probably 4th and 7th rnd.

That will give you 6 rookies, and then you can sign as many UDFA's you would like.

Edited by user Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:37:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 1/23/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:18:38 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,910
Applause Received: 2,117

Packers have ~$26 million available in cap room. I think Jarius Byrd and Brian Orakpo would fit nicely.

DO IT
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 1/23/2014(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:45:46 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Packers have ~$26 million available in cap room. I think Jarius Byrd and Brian Orakpo would fit nicely.

DO IT

Agree, but would that mean Shields is also gone?

I guess the 1st thing to look for is if Williams will sign some sort of extension that could free up some of that (9.5 mil ?) he is do in 2014.

I was reading where both Byrd and Orakpo would probably cost whoever between 7-9 mil each, that doesn't leave a whole lot of $ left for resigning The Packers Free Agents.

Online cheeseheads123  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:31:38 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Applause Given: 69
Applause Received: 113

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

DO IT

And then draft one of Gilbert/Dennard/Verrett
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:05:30 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,542
Applause Received: 639

Spend the money on some yoga instructors.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:57:41 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Note to Ted Thompson

Ted,

Time to change, let all of The Packers(20) Fa's go , with the 20 to 30 mil you have to spend, sign 1 overpriced UFA, preferably a S or D-lineman, but don't forget about ILB.

Sign 2 or 3 2nd tier guys who probably won't be as good as the guys you let walk, but at least they will be different.

Then do as you have done in the past with the draft, turn your 7 picks into 10 or 11, these guys of course are now guaranteed to make the team, and you can also bring in 5-10 UFA, and of course at least 2 of them will make the final 53.

Seriously, tired of having a team with a "few" proven veterans, and a bunch of "young guys", full of potential. Especially when these "young" guys end of starting because of injury

Reality says The Packers can't keep all their URFA's, but most can be resigned.

Tough choices to be made, but Raji, EDS, James Jones, J. Finley, C.J. Wilson and M.D. Jennings are guys that will probably not be in Green Bay next year.

Because of the article below that just showed up on news feed, I am going to change my mind on James Jones.
JJ is ONE of the must resign Packer Fa's.
The Packers need guys like Jones to show the younger guys what it takes to stay in the NFL!!!!
Jones put up a career high 817 yds, while being injured, some were questioning what happened to him in 2013, he didn't lead the league in TD catches, but seems he was a TEAM leader, that's enough for me.

http://www.jsonline.com/...gs/sports/241685381.html