Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:17:09 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 1,294
Joined: 12/11/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 77

Safeties on the roster
  • FS Jennings, M.D.
  • SS McMillian, Jerron
  • SS Banjo, Chris
  • SS Burnett, Morgan
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:28:14 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 12,464
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,831
Applause Received: 1,365

1. Sure he could show Aaron what it takes to come through a broken collarbone.
2. Not really. He has a lot of savvy there is no doubt. But in his 12 games with Oakland he has not been lights out by any stretch. he may be an upgrade over a few of the Packers safeties but they are not the reason GB is looking so badly. They are merely contributing. With Charles in charge there would still be defensive issues.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline warhawk  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:34:58 AM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Posts: 1,448
Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Received: 213

We miss the old Woodson or the younger Woodson. However way you want to put it. I don't see the current Woodson as the player that would make a big difference back there.

We miss Collins. That's who we miss right now.
"The train is leaving the station."
thanks Post received 3 applause.
play2win on 12/3/2013(UTC), hardrocker950 on 12/3/2013(UTC), nerdmann on 12/3/2013(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:39:52 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Posts: 1,915
Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 234

Yes, 100% yes. Not even because of his play but because of his leadership and the fire he lit under everyone's asses throughout the season. No one on this defense filled his leadership role and no one can get the defense fired up the way he did.

I was talking about this last night and had mentioned Woodson's name during my rant. Last night, while watching the Seahawks play (who I truly hate, aside from Russell Wilson), I was in absolute awe by how their defense was playing. Down two starting caliber CBs against the Saints and this entire defense just absolutely dominated. Not only did they dominate, but they were fired up the entire game. Bodies flying all over the place, being relentless and making sure the guy with the ball was going down and going down hard.

Word for word what I was saying last night...

As much as I hate the Seahawks, their defense can play and has a mean streak. Something I wish the Packers had. Their defense makes a lot of other NFL defenses look like a bunch of bitches. Packers defense is lackadaisical compared to this group. No ownership, no one stepping up and zero fire on the sidelines. Night and day difference. Woodson was the fire of the defense.

Seeing Seattle's defensive coaches on the sideline getting fired up with their players was something I wish we would see with the Packers. It was awesome to see the fire of that entire defense from beginning to end. Made me sick that I liked seeing something Seattle was doing.

And yes, I think the Packers defensive backfield would even need help from the PLAY of Charles Woodson. Big mistake not re-signing him, imo.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 12/3/2013(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:27:34 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Posts: 2,743
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,835
Applause Received: 428

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
Yes, 100% yes. Not even because of his play but because of his leadership and the fire he lit under everyone's asses throughout the season. No one on this defense filled his leadership role and no one can get the defense fired up the way he did.

I was talking about this last night and had mentioned Woodson's name during my rant. Last night, while watching the Seahawks play (who I truly hate, aside from Russell Wilson), I was in absolute awe by how their defense was playing. Down two starting caliber CBs against the Saints and this entire defense just absolutely dominated. Not only did they dominate, but they were fired up the entire game. Bodies flying all over the place, being relentless and making sure the guy with the ball was going down and going down hard.

Word for word what I was saying last night...

As much as I hate the Seahawks, their defense can play and has a mean streak. Something I wish the Packers had. Their defense makes a lot of other NFL defenses look like a bunch of bitches. Packers defense is lackadaisical compared to this group. No ownership, no one stepping up and zero fire on the sidelines. Night and day difference. Woodson was the fire of the defense.

Seeing Seattle's defensive coaches on the sideline getting fired up with their players was something I wish we would see with the Packers. It was awesome to see the fire of that entire defense from beginning to end. Made me sick that I liked seeing something Seattle was doing.

And yes, I think the Packers defensive backfield would even need help from the PLAY of Charles Woodson. Big mistake not re-signing him, imo.


I agree with everything you said except the part about Charles Woodson. Woodson would have been a marginal upgrade, at best. And even with his so called motivation skills, I still don't think it would have made much of a difference. The Seahawks defense is so good because they have great talent across the board. The Packers do not, and Woodson's intangibles would have only made a slight difference, which would still lead to a crappy defense. From a talent perspective, Woodson is not that good anymore, simply because of age. Those intangibles certainly didn't help the Packers defense much last year.

Offline warhawk  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:47:28 AM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Posts: 1,448
Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Received: 213

I never pictured Woodson as a "fiery" player that pumped players up throughout a game. Yes, in his day, he made plays that pumped the team up but that ability was definitely diminishing when he left here.

I just don't recall a real vocal Woodson on the field.

I think your defensive leader must be a guy that's in there making impact plays and thumping people. I don't disagree this defense doesn't have that kind of player.

I would love to see them pick up an ILB that matches his ILB'er Coaches intensity. A thumper that is putting RB's on their back and making the QB's life miserable.

That's the kind of player that jack's a team up and keeps the intensity level high throughout a whole game.






"The train is leaving the station."
Offline steveishere  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:13:06 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Posts: 1,624
Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 42
Applause Received: 856

No, Woodson has missed a lot of tackles and hasn't defended many passes or made many big plays. He's a minimal upgrade to Jennings at best and he was set to make 10m dollars. Is the leadership thing a big deal? It's impossible to say so who knows, I don't think it really makes too big a difference though. Leadership or not it's not worth paying more for a guy who doesn't upgrade your teams talent level over a cheaper player.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:17:21 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Posts: 1,779
Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 184
Applause Received: 312

Leadership maybe but I have not been impressed with him in Oakland. He is no longer attacking like he used to.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 12/3/2013(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:54:46 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Posts: 1,915
Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: warhawk Go to Quoted Post
I never pictured Woodson as a "fiery" player that pumped players up throughout a game. Yes, in his day, he made plays that pumped the team up but that ability was definitely diminishing when he left here.

I just don't recall a real vocal Woodson on the field.

I think your defensive leader must be a guy that's in there making impact plays and thumping people. I don't disagree this defense doesn't have that kind of player.

I would love to see them pick up an ILB that matches his ILB'er Coaches intensity. A thumper that is putting RB's on their back and making the QB's life miserable.

That's the kind of player that jack's a team up and keeps the intensity level high throughout a whole game.



I think the Packers would have had this with Des still in the middle but we all know how that story is being played out right now. Again, misfortune with injury. Des would have been this guy though...he WAS that guy.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:30:02 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,783
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
I think the Packers would have had this with Des still in the middle but we all know how that story is being played out right now. Again, misfortune with injury. Des would have been this guy though...he WAS that guy.


He was, and so was Woodson. Both their days are unfortunately done now.
Offline El3ment12  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 1:18:48 PM(UTC)
El3ment12

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Posts: 489
Joined: 12/16/2006(UTC)

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 24

Well, woodson was on the roster when Kaepernick set records last year.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:12:04 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 25,734
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,864
Applause Received: 2,032

Originally Posted by: MintBaconDrivel Go to Quoted Post
Safeties on the roster
  • FS Jennings, M.D.
  • SS McMillian, Jerron
  • SS Banjo, Chris
  • SS Burnett, Morgan


You're slipping Mint. You forgot my giuy Sean Richardson and also McMilian has been released.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 12/3/2013(UTC)
Offline Dulak  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:46:07 PM(UTC)
Dulak

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,624
Joined: 1/19/2009(UTC)
Location: London, UK (from kenosha)

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 98

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
No, Woodson has missed a lot of tackles and hasn't defended many passes or made many big plays. He's a minimal upgrade to Jennings at best and he was set to make 10m dollars. Is the leadership thing a big deal? It's impossible to say so who knows, I don't think it really makes too big a difference though. Leadership or not it's not worth paying more for a guy who doesn't upgrade your teams talent level over a cheaper player.


While I agree that he may or may not be a big upgrade for what we have ... what we do know is that our secondary; especially the S position is poorly lacking in ability and knowledge. IMO woodson brought knowledge to our team and IMO would of helped the younger guys get into better position. Not worth 10 mil but something ... I mean we are paying brad jones is it 8 mil? or 9?

Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:57:39 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 7,049
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,358
Applause Received: 598

I do believe we miss his leadership. I feel like there's a void there, especially on defense.

But I for one do NOT miss the DPIs and the big plays. He was a great tackler though.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Dulak on 12/3/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 3:58:08 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Posts: 1,624
Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 42
Applause Received: 856

Originally Posted by: Dulak Go to Quoted Post
While I agree that he may or may not be a big upgrade for what we have ... what we do know is that our secondary; especially the S position is poorly lacking in ability and knowledge. IMO woodson brought knowledge to our team and IMO would of helped the younger guys get into better position. Not worth 10 mil but something ... I mean we are paying brad jones is it 8 mil? or 9?



less than 4
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / blueleopard

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Dexter_Sinister

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / MintBaconDrivel

17h / Random Babble / wpr

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Aug / Around The NFL / Laser Gunns

21-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

21-Aug / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

21-Aug / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

20-Aug / Random Babble / DakotaT


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.