Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DoddPower  
#16 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 2:04:43 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,973
Applause Received: 477

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I have a thought: MD Jennings, Jerron McMillian and Jarret Bush had absolutely horrific games. Horrific. So did Ross and his really poor decision making.

Change that and we win this game.


I did think that MD Jennings and McMillian had pathetic games. I obviously don't know all the defensive calls and whom was responsible for what, but from what I could tell, those guys sucked. BAD. I've never been a fan of Jennings. I like McMillian due do his physicality and speed, but my confidence is beginning to waiver in him, as well. I hoped/expected him to really take a step forward this season.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 9/11/2013(UTC)
Online nerdmann  
#17 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 2:27:15 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,498
Applause Received: 625

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
I did think that MD Jennings and McMillian had pathetic games. I obviously don't know all the defensive calls and whom was responsible for what, but from what I could tell, those guys sucked. BAD. I've never been a fan of Jennings. I like McMillian due do his physicality and speed, but my confidence is beginning to waiver in him, as well. I hoped/expected him to really take a step forward this season.


They're good backups.

Micah Hyde is the future at S.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DoddPower  
#18 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 2:37:05 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,973
Applause Received: 477

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
They're good backups.

Micah Hyde is the future at S.


At this point, I can't even say they're good backups. Perhaps adequate, but good just seems like a little much for me. McMillian clearly has the potential to be good, but he's not there yet, and may never be. I just don't like Jennings period, and never have. I don't think he's very good, and has a low ceiling.

Offline buckeyepackfan  
#19 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 3:22:00 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 297
Applause Received: 420

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I have a thought: MD Jennings, Jerron McMillian and Jarret Bush had absolutely horrific games. Horrific. So did Ross and his really poor decision making.

Change that and we win this game.


So your solution is cut these 4 players.

Who is going to play in their place?

You can express your disappointment all you want on THE TEAMS performance.

These are the guys Ted and Mike have decided give The Packers the best chance to succeed in 2013.

They aren't going anywhere, I will agree with you that Ross could be in trouble, he is the #5 receiver and can easily be replaced.

The rest are going to be important parts of the defense/special teams the rest of this year.

Let The 49rs be the so called "best" team in The NFL, its week 1, the only people who make a big deal out of week 1 rankings are "the talking heads" in the media.

I can't remember at anytime a team winning a championship in September, disappointing loss yes, end of the season, NO!
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#20 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 4:17:36 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

I don't see them cutting their Safteys. Sure you wanna cut Jennings, but like buckeye said. It wouldn't do anything. Best thing you can do is bench Jennings. Maybe bring in a street free agent. Try out Banjo, what else do we have to lose? I want to see Jennings only on special teams, where he made this team in the first place.

I say give Banjo a shot if Burnett can't go next week and if Jennings is struggling. We need a spark there I think we could get that from Banjo pared up with McMillian. The coaching staff might be to stubburn, but we need something man.

My game plan against running QBs. Just blitz the sh*t out them, and play aggressive man to man coverage. Seriously! Kaepernick, Wilson, RG3 aren't only good at running the football, they can throw the football well too. Do not make them feel comfortable in the pocket with a 4 man rush. Fill all those gaps up and make them feel pressured to get the ball out quickly and cause turnovers. Just like we did against Wilson in the preseason, that worked like magic. Sure you have to account for their running ablity, but our Defensive line is more stout and understand how to play it now. As well more for the LBs too. The thing that beat us against the 49ers is we let their big guys, Bolden, Davis, get open because we did not do sh*t to make them uncomfortable at the line of scrimmage. At the times we played them aggressively it worked. But most of the time, we tried to contain more then challenge them.

Use Hyde to were he is fit to play the best football. Around the line of scrimmage. Get the kid more playing time. He is a better nickel corner than Bush. Throw him in the mold and the more and more as the game and the season goes on he will make plays. I saw him blitz yesterday and Matthews did that stunt sack. That was very successful. I think they should use him more, and just play aggressive football like Dom likes.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#21 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 4:47:06 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 362

We went way overboard on the Read-Option. Our run D front up the gut was never bad. Even last year when we were gashed, it was mostly runs bounced outside. The majority of the running of kapernik last year was because of poor lane discipline and nobody past the oline looking for run, and the edges crashing not containing. We did great setting the edges and holding the middle but we had NO pressure. except on rare occasions like Matthews Ole of the LG.

Dom needs to find a gameplan where we can accomplish both.

Offensively, I think they played pretty well, outside of the fumble and INT. Two plays that were enough to swing the game.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 9/9/2013(UTC)
Online nerdmann  
#22 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 4:49:41 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,498
Applause Received: 625

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
I don't see them cutting their Safteys. Sure you wanna cut Jennings, but like buckeye said. It wouldn't do anything. Best thing you can do is bench Jennings. Maybe bring in a street free agent. Try out Banjo, what else do we have to lose? I want to see Jennings only on special teams, where he made this team in the first place.

I say give Banjo a shot if Burnett can't go next week and if Jennings is struggling. We need a spark there I think we could get that from Banjo pared up with McMillian. The coaching staff might be to stubburn, but we need something man.

My game plan against running QBs. Just blitz the sh!t out them, and play aggressive man to man coverage. Seriously! Kaepernick, Wilson, RG3 aren't only good at running the football, they can throw the football well too. Do not make them feel comfortable in the pocket with a 4 man rush. Fill all those gaps up and make them feel pressured to get the ball out quickly and cause turnovers. Just like we did against Wilson in the preseason, that worked like magic. Sure you have to account for their running ablity, but our Defensive line is more stout and understand how to play it now. As well more for the LBs too. The thing that beat us against the 49ers is we let their big guys, Bolden, Davis, get open because we did not do sh!t to make them uncomfortable at the line of scrimmage. At the times we played them aggressively it worked. But most of the time, we tried to contain more then challenge them.

Use Hyde to were he is fit to play the best football. Around the line of scrimmage. Get the kid more playing time. He is a better nickel corner than Bush. Throw him in the mold and the more and more as the game and the season goes on he will make plays. I saw him blitz yesterday and Matthews did that stunt sack. That was very successful. I think they should use him more, and just play aggressive football like Dom likes.


Wouldn't mind seeing Banjo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online Mucky Tundra  
#23 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 5:36:54 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 1/11/2013(UTC)
Location: Murray, Kentucky

Applause Given: 337
Applause Received: 413

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Perry is fine. We were NOT attempting to pressure the QB in this game. We were trying to CONTAIN him. Big difference. That's gonna be the plan against RGIII this coming week too.

Hopefully we won't also leave their best WR uncovered for the entire game.


Currently listening/half watching the Redskins-Eagles game and RGIII isn't moving around all that much. Either rust and/or tentative to try running.

Agree with what people saying Banjo getting a shot-he's shown his willingness to put his pads down and make a hit. We could have used that yesterday from out secondary.

May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#24 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 5:45:13 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
So your solution is cut these 4 players.

Who is going to play in their place?

You can express your disappointment all you want on THE TEAMS performance.

These are the guys Ted and Mike have decided give The Packers the best chance to succeed in 2013.

They aren't going anywhere, I will agree with you that Ross could be in trouble, he is the #5 receiver and can easily be replaced.

The rest are going to be important parts of the defense/special teams the rest of this year.

Let The 49rs be the so called "best" team in The NFL, its week 1, the only people who make a big deal out of week 1 rankings are "the talking heads" in the media.

I can't remember at anytime a team winning a championship in September, disappointing loss yes, end of the season, NO!


Did I say to cut them? We probably could without much trouble, except for replacing Bush on STs. But I did not say that we should cut them.

Change the level of play at those positions, and we're all celebrating a win.

I'll add that I am super disappointed in McMillian. I thought he would show far better than he is to this point.

Please, cut MD Jennings tomorrow. I'm all for it. Banjo made plays. I'd rather play Banjo. And, while we're at it, why keep Ross? He completely sucks.

So, yeah, I guess we could cut 2 of them if you want to texas...

Laughing
Offline sschind  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:21:42 PM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 414

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
We went way overboard on the Read-Option. Our run D front up the gut was never bad. Even last year when we were gashed, it was mostly runs bounced outside. The majority of the running of kapernik last year was because of poor lane discipline and nobody past the oline looking for run, and the edges crashing not containing. We did great setting the edges and holding the middle but we had NO pressure. except on rare occasions like Matthews Ole of the LG.

Dom needs to find a gameplan where we can accomplish both.

Offensively, I think they played pretty well, outside of the fumble and INT. Two plays that were enough to swing the game.


I agree 100% on the read option but as I have said in a few other posts I don't really think we had much of a choice. The way we were gashed last year Mike McCarthy had no other options than to go all out to shut it down. He couldn't afford to letthe 49ers beat him with it again. IMO he did shut it down pretty well.

The problem is that Harbaugh knew this as well and he let us come at the RO with all guns blazing and he just took whatever we left him. I do not see this being a factor in any other games this season as I don't think it will nearly as much of a point of contention that it was with the 49ers. I also don't think it would have been such a big deal had the schedule had us playing the 49ers several weeks later. I'll bet Harbaugh was salivating when he saw he opened up with the Packers. He was holding all the cards. All he had to do was sit back and see how Mike McCarthy was going to go all in.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:30:56 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 362

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I agree 100% on the read option but as I have said in a few other posts I don't really think we had much of a choice. The way we were gashed last year Mike McCarthy had no other options than to go all out to shut it down. He couldn't afford to letthe 49ers beat him with it again. IMO he did shut it down pretty well.

The problem is that Harbaugh knew this as well and he let us come at the RO with all guns blazing and he just took whatever we left him. I do not see this being a factor in any other games this season as I don't think it will nearly as much of a point of contention that it was with the 49ers. I also don't think it would have been such a big deal had the schedule had us playing the 49ers several weeks later. I'll bet Harbaugh was salivating when he saw he opened up with the Packers. He was holding all the cards. All he had to do was sit back and see how Mike McCarthy was going to go all in.



I think there was a choice. The middle of the dline was never a major issue, They held the middle fine, it was the edges where we got exploited. I didn't see the need to focus on the middle of the dline like we did. We played our Bigs way to much. I think if they had played the middle the same as last year, and concentrated on containment on the edges we would have had better pass rush and still contained the run and read-option.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Online hardrocker950  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:14:36 PM(UTC)
hardrocker950

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 11/10/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 65
Applause Received: 73

No doubt that there were many disappointing things in our season opener. Some of these things are typical to see early in the season, especially with so many young players on the field. The good news is the season is young and there is time to assess these problems.

The good

The offensive line looked better than I was expecting. While not excellent, one should also be reminded that they were up against a very good defensive front. The fact that Rodgers spent most of the day upright is encouraging.

Defensive line showed life. Also not perfect, but they plugged the middle up and slowed the running game down. They also didn't let Kaepernick burn us on big scrambles like we have seen before.

The passing game looked about like we would expect - minus the Finley mistake (I'll address that later). Jordy had a very good day, making crucial catches in difficult situations. Finley's effort on the TD was amazing! If the line can give Rodgers more time, our receivers will have more opportunities as well.

The bad

I will get the most obvious out of the way first. Our secondary was straight up terrible. I don't know where to begin on that topic. Letting their QB throw for 400 yards is sad - especially when I don't think he is much above an average passer. Our safeties didn't play aggressive enough from the line. Some disruption would have been nice to see.

Turnovers like those are not excusable. Lacy is a rookie, we all know that - but the most important thing in football has never changed since his first day playing - PROTECT THE DAMN BALL! Finley might as well have gift wrapped that ball for them when he gave them the pick on a silver platter. I know sh** happens sometimes, but both of these were preventable.

Coaching.... I can say that we had a solid plan for the option, but I think this had a lot to do with our secondary getting torched. Anytime you scheme for one thing, there is something else to exploit because of it. Now to the biggest point - WHAT WAS THE REASONING FOR ACCEPTING THAT PENALTY?!?!?!? Shame on you Mike McCarthy Shame on you

Clay Matthews getting flagged for the late hit. While it can be speculated whether or not he had malicious intent, it was bad judgment. The positive is his pursuit to Kaepernick on the scramble was relentless.

I'm sure I missed some things, but these are the ones that come to mind at this time. I think we are in for quite a season.
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:48:57 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 Go to Quoted Post
No doubt that there were many disappointing things in our season opener. Some of these things are typical to see early in the season, especially with so many young players on the field. The good news is the season is young and there is time to assess these problems.

The good

The offensive line looked better than I was expecting. While not excellent, one should also be reminded that they were up against a very good defensive front. The fact that Rodgers spent most of the day upright is encouraging.

Defensive line showed life. Also not perfect, but they plugged the middle up and slowed the running game down. They also didn't let Kaepernick burn us on big scrambles like we have seen before.

The passing game looked about like we would expect - minus the Finley mistake (I'll address that later). Jordy had a very good day, making crucial catches in difficult situations. Finley's effort on the TD was amazing! If the line can give Rodgers more time, our receivers will have more opportunities as well.

The bad

I will get the most obvious out of the way first. Our secondary was straight up terrible. I don't know where to begin on that topic. Letting their QB throw for 400 yards is sad - especially when I don't think he is much above an average passer. Our safeties didn't play aggressive enough from the line. Some disruption would have been nice to see.

Turnovers like those are not excusable. Lacy is a rookie, we all know that - but the most important thing in football has never changed since his first day playing - PROTECT THE DAMN BALL! Finley might as well have gift wrapped that ball for them when he gave them the pick on a silver platter. I know sh** happens sometimes, but both of these were preventable.

Coaching.... I can say that we had a solid plan for the option, but I think this had a lot to do with our secondary getting torched. Anytime you scheme for one thing, there is something else to exploit because of it. Now to the biggest point - WHAT WAS THE REASONING FOR ACCEPTING THAT PENALTY?!?!?!? Shame on you Mike McCarthy Shame on you

Clay Matthews getting flagged for the late hit. While it can be speculated whether or not he had malicious intent, it was bad judgment. The positive is his pursuit to Kaepernick on the scramble was relentless.

I'm sure I missed some things, but these are the ones that come to mind at this time. I think we are in for quite a season.


Probably the key to the game right there. We didn't jam any of their weapons. Especially Bolden. He was free to do what ever he wanted and got open every time. I hope they looked at the film and f*cking will challenge their receivers more next week. Hopefully Burnett back will spark the secondary. And give a even more toughness to the run D.
Offline play2win  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:15:58 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
I did think that MD Jennings and McMillian had pathetic games. I obviously don't know all the defensive calls and whom was responsible for what, but from what I could tell, those guys sucked. BAD. I've never been a fan of Jennings. I like McMillian due do his physicality and speed, but my confidence is beginning to waiver in him, as well. I hoped/expected him to really take a step forward this season.


I feel exactly the same way. Wanting to see McMillian take it to the next level, and really disappointed after the SF loss.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:09:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:27:55 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 420
Applause Received: 251

I agree Jennings and McMillian were not horrible, and it would be a damn overreaction to cut either. While the Packers don't play a significant distinction between free safety and strong safety, it was new and maybe a problem having those two playing together. The fact that Burnett was reported to be playing shortly before the game tells me he is not far from being ready, so hopefully, problem solved.

The major part of the problem, though, was the SOLUTION. The Capers way of stopping Kaepernick's running (more scrambling than read/option per se) was to basically divert all the LBs from pass coverage to containment - that and still without significant blitzing most of the time. Our DBs were set up for failure by not having the usual LB help in coverage and except for rare occasions when Matthews was unleashed, no pressure on Kaepernick either. I can see the logic of doing it that way - in fact, there may not be a better way of dealing with his running ability, but the fact is, in that game, he was so accurate a passer that it didn't work.

I'm wondering if we employ the same strategy against Griffin. I hope not, as I don't see him even before the injury as near the runner Kaepernick is. Griffin, if he is on his game, is, however, a better passer than Kaepernick - better than Kaepernick most games anyway.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages<123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.736 seconds.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Wade

1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / all_about_da_packers

5m / Random Babble / Wade

10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12m / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

1h / Super Bowl Talk / yooperfan

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Smokey

5h / Random Babble / wpr

6h / Random Babble / musccy

7h / Random Babble / yooperfan

12h / Welcome to our Community! / Smokey

12h / Around The NFL / Smokey

14h / Random Babble / Cheesey

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules


Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.