Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages«<3456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sschind  
#61 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2013 4:16:26 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 422

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Just set the line, AND KEEP THE SAME 5 GUYS AT THE SAME 5 POSITIONS!!!

I'm fine with the moves as long as they don't decide midway through the pre-seaon that it's not working and start flipping guys around.

Know who your starters are, know who your backups are.

If and when an injury occurs, plug in the backup guy, don't start flipping your starters all over.

"The Jeff Saturday" experiment last year was one of the worst moves Ted has made.

That is a huge key to the success of an offensive line. I am hoping that Bulaga and Sitton will anchor the left side. Newhouse can nail the RT position and one of the rookies can step in and be the starting RG. Why? because then we will have Lange as our #1 backup and if 1 player gets hurt we may not have to switch 3 guys around. If Mike McCarthy says Lange can play center then he can cover both center and guard. If Sherrod can come back we will have a decent backup at LT and Barclay has shown that he can play RG. One injury, one replacement. None of this whole line shift.

Then maybe we can get the consistency that everyone agrees is the real key. Of course a year without multiple injuries would help a great deal.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline steveishere  
#62 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2013 5:15:23 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
That is a huge key to the success of an offensive line. I am hoping that Bulaga and Sitton will anchor the left side. Newhouse can nail the RT position and one of the rookies can step in and be the starting RG. Why? because then we will have Lange as our #1 backup and if 1 player gets hurt we may not have to switch 3 guys around. If Mike McCarthy says Lange can play center then he can cover both center and guard. If Sherrod can come back we will have a decent backup at LT and Barclay has shown that he can play RG. One injury, one replacement. None of this whole line shift.

Then maybe we can get the consistency that everyone agrees is the real key. Of course a year without multiple injuries would help a great deal.

I don't really see any of the rookies beating Lang
Online beast  
#63 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2013 7:21:05 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 246
Applause Received: 312

I think Barclay could be GREAT at OG. ... I wonder how well Lang can play Center... I do like D-Smith but I like Sitton, Lang and Barclay more... and if Lang can play Center and you can get all three of them in there at once might be very good OL.

LT: Bulaga
LG: Sitton
OC: Lang / D-Smith
RG: Barclay
RT: Newhouse / Sherrod

D-Smith would probably back-up all 3 inside spots. Sherrod or Newhouse would back-up both OT spots.

And keep the next best two or 3 OL not listed above with of course the rookie draft picks giving a little extra leeway as they're draft picks could have talent and could develop their potential... like Newhouse looked horrible his rookie training camp but showed potential and some growth and they kept him... he turned into a starter.

Of course that again depends on how good Lang is at Center.

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DakotaT on 5/4/2013(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#64 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2013 8:57:49 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I think Barclay could be GREAT at OG. ... I wonder how well Lang can play Center... I do like D-Smith but I like Sitton, Lang and Barclay more... and if Lang can play Center and you can get all three of them in there at once might be very good OL.

LT: Bulaga
LG: Sitton
OC: Lang / D-Smith
RG: Barclay
RT: Newhouse / Sherrod

D-Smith would probably back-up all 3 inside spots. Sherrod or Newhouse would back-up both OT spots.

And keep the next best two or 3 OL not listed above with of course the rookie draft picks giving a little extra leeway as they're draft picks could have talent and could develop their potential... like Newhouse looked horrible his rookie training camp but showed potential and some growth and they kept him... he turned into a starter.

Of course that again depends on how good Lang is at Center.

Before we etch these guys into the starting lineup, we should probably see if the rookies can play. I remember guys like Tauscher and Timmerman stepping in day 1 and taking over, which is what I hope we have. It looks like there will be some fire lit under some asses this year in training camp. I would say only Sitton and Bulaga are guaranteed spots.

Love the take on Barclay at guard, Beast. I like when people think outside the box a little bit.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
nerdmann on 5/5/2013(UTC), wpr on 5/5/2013(UTC), play2win on 5/5/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#65 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 12:39:16 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,624
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Before we etch these guys into the starting lineup, we should probably see if the rookies can play. I remember guys like Tauscher and Timmerman stepping in day 1 and taking over, which is what I hope we have. It looks like there will be some fire lit under some asses this year in training camp. I would say only Sitton and Bulaga are guaranteed spots.

Love the take on Barclay at guard, Beast. I like when people think outside the box a little bit.

Barclay and van Roten are projected as G's. Although van Roten can apparently also play C. Might even beat out EDS.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline wpr  
#66 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 6:12:25 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,026
Applause Received: 1,464

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post

I would love to have Barclay at G. But I am a little concerned about LT. Lang and Barclay > Barclay and Newhouse.

UserPostedImage

Offline buckeyepackfan  
#67 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 6:35:24 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 329
Applause Received: 443

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Maybe in hindsight, sure, but the Jeff Saturday signing seemed to perk up most Packers fans - link.

Hindsight is all we can go by right now, The Packers have veteran, experienced guys at all 5 positions going into TC.

Plug these guys in wherever, but keep them together as a unit.

Learn by your mistakes.

The o-line is a 5 guy unit working together, nothing new here, it's been said a thousand times, moving guys in and out and changing positions is only going to cause problems.

SET YOUR LINE AND KEEP IT TOGETHER!!!
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline sschind  
#68 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 12:38:38 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 422

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
I don't really see any of the rookies beating Lang

You are most likely right about that. My hope was that one of them would step up big time and we could have Lang as an extremely versatile backup at several positions.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline dfosterf  
#69 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 4:42:10 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 415

I read the article at JSOnline, came here to see what you guys thought of it...

...thinking many would LOVE IT like I do, based on the information and history of the assorted pieces of the "puzzle" of an offensive line (especially ours).

I hate to always be contrarian, it is not my intent, but I LIKE THESE MOVES---- ALOT.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline play2win  
#70 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 4:49:36 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I do believe our OL woes last year had more to do with these two factors:

1. Jeff Saturday hitting the proverbial wall.

2. Mike McCarthy's treatment of the run in his play calling as a secondary element for much of the first half of the 2012 season.

Saturday's collapse was big trouble in the middle of our offense. We were counting on a good level of proficiency there, and it just was not there. That fall off in play adversely affected our passing and running games.

McCarthy spent a good 5 or 6 weeks treating the run as something akin to that which he did not really want to do. After the IND game, I believe public outcry forced him to run more, regardless of the results in yds gained. It worked, for a while, until we faced the Giants, where a failure to establish a sound rushing attack resulted in an onslaught of sacks, hits and hurries to Rodgers.

Yeah, we had injuries too, but we had personnel who could have done a better job had they been coached properly, and made to run block more effectively. That is my own opinion.

I believe we will be far better with both of those factors from 2012 eliminated. With running the football more of an emphasis in our scheme, I feel the pass blocking will automatically improve, and our effectiveness on offense could go through the roof.

Taking our best OL over to Rodgers' blindside is smart, given that we don't have a top veteran talent to take over LT. Competition at RT and at C will be good for our team moving forward.
dfosterf on 5/5/2013(UTC)
Offline porky88  
#71 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 5:12:51 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 193
Applause Received: 394

I wanted to let this news digest before commenting. I’ve always felt Bryan Bulaga could play left tackle. It’s been my opinion of him since 2010’s draft. I actually thought Buffalo would take him in the top 10 because of this reason. I also think he’s incredibly underrated. He had his worst game on Monday night football, which is why so many feel unsure about him. That’s a false evaluation, though. Beyond that half of football, he’s been rock solid for the better part of his last 20 games. He’s a fine technician and has experience playing the position, so I think they can make it work.

I do worry, though, that a very good right tackle sometimes makes for an average left tackle. Average would look good right now on the left side, but that’s unfair to Bulaga’s development. The Ravens face similar problems with Michael Oher. He doesn’t have the feet to play left tackle. He’s a great right tackle, but moving him around has hindered his growth.

Sitton is such a great player that I don’t foresee an issue with him moving to left guard. He’s a great run blocker and protector. He’s a whale stuck in the pond (the pond being Green Bay’s o-line). I also understand the concept of shoring up the left side. That’s Aaron Rodgers’ blindside. If you’re going to have a weakness, then have it on the right side, so Rodgers can see the pressure and react more quickly.

My feelings on Lang have soured. He was solid in 2011, but below average last year. He's always been versatile. He’s played both tackle positions and now both guard positions. I think the transition will affect him the least, but he doesn't have the most to lose.

Overall, it’s good to get Marshall Newhouse out of Aaron Rodgers’ blindside. He’s just not a very good starter, in my assessment. I’d like to see him as a backup swing player. This really helps David Bakhtiari. He’s a good pass protector with left tackle footwork. He just doesn’t have left tackle size. I think they’ll allow him to compete at right tackle and he’s capable of winning that job. The wild card is Sherrod. If he’s healthy, then right tackle isn’t a bad spot for him. Perhaps you could slide Bakhtiari inside to push Lang and have Sherrod settle at right tackle. That’d be almost the best scenario, as Lang needs pushing.

I like to refrain from May predictions, but I could see Bulaga, Sitton, EDS, Lang, and Bakhtiari as the week one starting offensive line. That represents improvement, but there's a big onus on that right side.

Message modified by user Sunday, May 5, 2013 5:51:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks Post received 3 applause.
Zero2Cool on 5/5/2013(UTC), dfosterf on 5/5/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 5/6/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#72 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 5:22:00 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Bulaga has played well at LT before. They moved him to RT, because he has "shorter arms" than Sherrod. Sherrod has a cutout of his hands at the Packers HoF, because he is the largest man on the team.

No reason Bulaga can't get it done. In fact the reason they moved him over was to solidify that side.

I see a rookie beating out EDS at C and Newhouse getting challenged at RT.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
dfosterf on 5/5/2013(UTC)
Offline dfosterf  
#73 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 5:44:03 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 415

I like all these thoughts. I also think it would be a positive to mix things up a bit, for a couple of reasons.

We may get some positive results with different looks for the various d linemen we face. One d might lineman have our previous o lineman "figured out"- notsomuch with a new, equally competent one, with perhaps different weaknesses and "tendencies".

I totally agree about the Saturday comments. I think Shawn spoke of the "unit" . Saturday's play set us back, imo. He was out of gas. Great career, respect it, not for us, though, it happens- Don't blame Ted for that try.

These guys are not going to forget how to play their old positions, so we can always shuffle back as needed, and the time to try these moves is now, as regards the 2013 season- I did hear and feel Shawn on the "continuity" thing, but we have to think pluses and minuses, and this shit is not working, it is killing us on offense and defense-- we need a ground-control-element, and we need to protect the Green Bay Packers entire identity in one Aaron Rodgers, and that is very little overstatement.

This may work, imo, and that is encouraging, to me, as a close follower of our offensive line play.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Mucky Tundra  
#74 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 5:52:15 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 436

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I see a rookie beating out EDS at C and Newhouse getting challenged at RT.

While I think EDS will start out the year at C, I don't see him lasting all 16 games there. It'd be nice if one of the rookies or last years backups focused solely on being a 'dedicated' C with no moving around.

May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#75 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 6:29:53 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra Go to Quoted Post
While I think EDS will start out the year at C, I don't see him lasting all 16 games there. It'd be nice if one of the rookies or last years backups focused solely on being a 'dedicated' C with no moving around.

LOL, we all know THAT ain't happening.

As for Saturday, blame Ted all you want, but we got more out of him than the Rams got out of Wells. We still came out ahead, imo.
Rss Feed