You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:36:49 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 937

I get that the Viking fan base is growing frustrated with Ponder.. but they need to remember this.. Ponder was very green coming out, probably drafted too high and needed time to develop. He is going into year three right now.. and honestly probably still not ready.

The Vikings failed to provide him with a veteran QB that could help groom him.. and no McNabb didn't count, as McNabb only cared about one thing.. McNabb and his perception around the league.

I feel no sorrow for Jennings.. none. I am actually looking forward to him reacting to this over the course of the season and even more so how his family handles it. His sisters social media habits, in my opinion, helped ensure that Jennings didn't return to the Packers.. whether or not the Packers, Rodgers or Jennings will admit it publicly.

This is a story line I want to see play out.. not just this year but over the course of Jennings deal. If the Vikings scrap the Ponder experience.. will it improve with a different QB or another young QB?

My opinion.. it is a waste of money to spend on talent at the WR without having a guy that can deliver it to them.. the gain over an average receiver is just not that great with a below average NFL starter..
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DakotaT on 9/14/2013(UTC)
Offline GoPack1984  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:23:06 AM(UTC)
GoPack1984

Applause Given2: 43
Applause Received: 9

The only thing that the Packers lost was some depth at the WR position IMO. Maybe it's because we didn't see a lot of Jennings last year, but I think Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and James Jones are just as good if not better than Jennings.

I don't think his sister's twitter rants had anything to do with the Packers parting ways with Jennings. If anything they were just reflective of what Greg's feelings really were.
blank
Wade on 9/12/2013(UTC)
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:45:33 AM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 155
Applause Received: 105

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

Need to read the comments from this article. Too Funny!!!Laughing Laughing A whole lot of thisCrying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying And thisPuke Puke Puke And even a little of thisBang Head Bang Head Bang Head

Wisconsin Born,Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Packerchick on 9/12/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:47:52 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 937

Originally Posted by: GoPack1984 Go to Quoted Post

I don't think his sister's twitter rants had anything to do with the Packers parting ways with Jennings. If anything they were just reflective of what Greg's feelings really were.

That is the point... there was more to the outbursts than just a sister letting off steam.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:12:38 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Shawn hit it on the head. Spending big
money on WR's is a waste if your QB
is garbage.
It's like putting a new engine in a car that
has no tires. Your still not going
anywhere.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 9/12/2013(UTC), Packerchick on 9/15/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#21 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:15:29 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 601

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
I still think the Packers will end up missing Jennings more than the Vikings will gain.

As others have said, Jennings only has Ponder to work with. Imagine what ANY of Packers receivers would be like if they had Ponder throwing to them rather than Rodgers.

But the Packers don't have Ponder.

And they also don't have anyone as good as Jennings at running routes and separating at the line.

Yes, I know, they didn't have him a lot last year and look where they ended up.

Ahem. Yes, indeed. Look at where they ended up

They made the playoffs and had a good offense.
DoddPower on 9/12/2013(UTC)
Offline Wade  
#22 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:51:38 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 563
Applause Received: 589

Originally Posted by: GoPack1984 Go to Quoted Post
The only thing that the Packers lost was some depth at the WR position IMO. Maybe it's because we didn't see a lot of Jennings last year, but I think Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and James Jones are just as good if not better than Jennings.

Jones is one of my favorite players. And IMO currently their best WR. But I still think Jennings, who was never a favorite, is better.

I definitely think Jennings is better than Nelson. As for Cobb, I think Cobb can and hopefully will become greater than Jennings ever was or will be, but I don't think he's there yet

As for the twitter crap of sis being no factor, I agree.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline PackerTraxx  
#23 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:30:22 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

To me Jennings doesn't add any more than Cobb individually, especially when considering intangibles. He didn't seem like the best team mate. What we do lose is being 4 deep in receivers.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline DoddPower  
#24 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:38:02 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Applause Given: 1,469
Applause Received: 353

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Jones is one of my favorite players. And IMO currently their best WR. But I still think Jennings, who was never a favorite, is better.

I definitely think Jennings is better than Nelson. As for Cobb, I think Cobb can and hopefully will become greater than Jennings ever was or will be, but I don't think he's there yet

As for the twitter crap of sis being no factor, I agree.

Is Jennings better than any one of the current Packers wide receivers? I don't know, honestly. He used to be, but it's probably close to even now. And even if he is a little better, the difference isn't very significant to be worth the contract he received. It would be great to still have him for depth and such, but I think he's over rated. Good, but that's about it. The Packers already have 4 "good" receiving threats, a few of which could very well be, or are, better than good (if you will).
Offline sschind  
#25 Posted : Saturday, September 14, 2013 9:22:37 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 78
Applause Received: 313

Homers, God bless em. I just love it when Packers players move on to another team and all of a sudden they suck and they were always over rated. Not everyone here fits that mold, maybe not anyone for that matter but I really have to laugh when I see some of these comments. Yes Jennings' numbers will suffer with Ponder throwing him the ball but for people to say he was not a good receiver and he was a product of the QB when he was with the Packers is just plain stupid. For a time Jennings was a legitimate #1 receiver and he still could be in the right offense. Prior to Nelson coming on two years ago there was no doubt for the previous few years that GJ was our best receiver and one of the better ones in the league. Maybe not top 10 perhaps but top 15. If that is not a legit #1 I don't know what is.

I get it, he spurned your team, and its even worse because he went to those purple guys, so he must pay but don't let your sudden hatred for a turncoat cloud your judgement. Had he resigned a lot of you would be saying how great he is and that its a good thing the Packers resigned their best receiver. I'm not going to point out anyone in particular but if you cant see what I am talking about you are not looking very hard. IMO I do think Wade and Dodd get it. I don't see why it is so hard to give an ex Packer his props even if he is playing for the enemy
I fully respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline shield4life  
#26 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 5:09:07 AM(UTC)
shield4life

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

At his age with his salary I was actually happy we didn't sign him. His been injured the passed two years + we need the $$$ to re-sign Raji, Finley etc... it was more a business plan for Thompson then actually wanting or needing him to sign back. It's a blessing in disguise.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
GoPack1984 on 9/16/2013(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#27 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 9:27:06 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 167
Applause Received: 328

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
Homers, God bless em. I just love it when Packers players move on to another team and all of a sudden they suck and they were always over rated. Not everyone here fits that mold, maybe not anyone for that matter but I really have to laugh when I see some of these comments. Yes Jennings' numbers will suffer with Ponder throwing him the ball but for people to say he was not a good receiver and he was a product of the QB when he was with the Packers is just plain stupid. For a time Jennings was a legitimate #1 receiver and he still could be in the right offense. Prior to Nelson coming on two years ago there was no doubt for the previous few years that GJ was our best receiver and one of the better ones in the league. Maybe not top 10 perhaps but top 15. If that is not a legit #1 I don't know what is.

I get it, he spurned your team, and its even worse because he went to those purple guys, so he must pay but don't let your sudden hatred for a turncoat cloud your judgement. Had he resigned a lot of you would be saying how great he is and that its a good thing the Packers resigned their best receiver. I'm not going to point out anyone in particular but if you cant see what I am talking about you are not looking very hard. IMO I do think Wade and Dodd get it. I don't see why it is so hard to give an ex Packer his props even if he is playing for the enemy

Nobody's saying that he sucks and few people are calling him overrated - just not worth the contract for us.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#28 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 9:53:08 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,425
Applause Received: 1,204

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post

Money issues and age aside, some of the slam on Greg is simply dishing out the kind of crap he gave to GB and Aaron Rodgers recently. Certainly he is a good player. But some of his top 15 comes from playing in GB with Brett and Aaron. Because they excel he was able to reap the benefits. It doesn't mean he isn't a good player. He runs good routes and he has good hands and he has decent speed and all of that. He had to get open or at least almost open for the QBs to throw the ball to him.

It kind of comes back to don't p!ss on my leg and tell me it is raining. There would be a lot more respect for Greg if he said my time with GB was special. Let's focus on my new team now. He couldn't do that. Some of it was in jest on his part. Some of it wasn't. If he and Aaron was to talk smack go ahead. They have each others phone numbers they can do it all they want. Aaron is a big boy and can certainly handle himself without anyone coming to his rescue. Greg crossed the line by doing so in the media. The Packer fans are flipping him off in return.

When he retires and comes back to GB with Starr and the rest of the old timers he will be appreciated once again for what he did while wearing G&G. Until then not so much.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

TheKanataThrilla on 9/16/2013(UTC)
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#29 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 9:54:59 PM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 155
Applause Received: 105

You Mad G.J.
SINCITYCHEEZE attached the following image(s):
You Mad GJ.jpg (94kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Wisconsin Born,Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
wpr on 9/17/2013(UTC)
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:18:20 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 102
Applause Received: 66

My opinion would be the combo of Porforis & WPR's last two posts. It is not that I think he GJ sucks. I don't think he is worth the money the Vikings are paying him and given that he has only played with HoF caliber QBs I am guessing posssibly over-rated although a very good route runner. His talking smack also doesn't help. I agree with WPR if he would have kept his mouth shut and had been humble about his departure alright, but he didn't do that. Will I cheer for him when he retires and comes back, sure, but as of right now his diva behaviour has lowered my opinion of him.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)