Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#46 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:18:38 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
While Lacy did have "injuries" they weren't injuries that kept him off the field. They were nagging injuries and he played through them all, certainly not hindering his performance. As for being out of shape at his workout, he was only a few weeks off the hamstring injury.

I applaud the Packers for this pick, especially after trading down and grabbing another pick in the process. I don't get the love for Montee Ball (other than he was a Badger). While these injuries that never took Lacy off the field are pointed out, I'll point out that the wear and tear on Ball is above and beyond Lacy. Ball's 924 career carries to Lacy's 355 career carries. Ball's 5,140 yards to Lacy's 2,402 yards.

Montee has had a concussion or two, right?

I always see talk about the shelf life of runningbacks and from college stats alone, I'd say Ball's shelf life is going to be shorter. With the Packers passing offense and teams using a two-back system, Lacy will do just fine with DuJuan Harris taking some snaps.

I guess my next question is at #61, what other options were there and worth that value? There are still a few quality offensive linemen, defensive linemen and OLB (and even WR). Maybe there was a safety, but was that safety going to be above and beyond what the Packers have?

Lacy is a gigantic steal at this spot and while he is used to running through big holes from Alabama's offensive line, so was Trent Richardson (a more recent Alabama RB). Cleveland's o-line has two good lineman (they are nothing special) like the Packers and Richardson did pretty well there.

We finally have a starting runningback.

WOW!!! I could not have said it any better. Ball, to me, seemed more hype than anything. Good back, but I never thought of him as a punishing back.

We stole a punishing, big, effective starting RB. I love the pick.
Lacy is that thumper back we needed. I can't believe we got him, with the trade down.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Dulak on 4/27/2013(UTC)
Offline dfosterf  
#47 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:21:55 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 197
Applause Received: 416

http://www.rolltide.com/...mtt/jones_barrett00.html

Barrett Jones is the guy I was thinking about.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Gaycandybacon  
#48 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:25:20 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
I just want to point out that Lacy excelled when Alabama went to a ZONE BLOCKING SCHEME.
I don't think that's been mentioned. I love this pick, and I usually hate drafting RB's when we have such a shit-box line.

Isn't there a guard /center from Alabama still available? Let's go get him (forgot name, sorry-- anyone know?)

Those trades with SF suck, imo- btw.

Barrett Jones a G/C. The guy has long arms and brings size to that position. He is a great pass protector.. which we need. Barrett could back up Lang and EDS maybe even push for a job if we take him. Can't go wrong with taking him. Then we need to start looking at a DB. Then a backup Pass rusher and this draft will be a success.

Offline play2win  
#49 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:30:56 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Lacy reminds me of Ray Rice. Awesome pick.
Offline Dulak  
#50 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 7:47:36 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 154
Applause Received: 100

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
WOW!!! I could not have said it any better. Ball, to me, seemed more hype than anything. Good back, but I never thought of him as a punishing back.

We stole a punishing, big, effective starting RB. I love the pick.
Lacy is that thumper back we needed. I can't believe we got him, with the trade down.

Agree ... did we just get the best back in the draft? ...

cant remember the last time we did that ... really like this guy too; nice lower body strength; and runs forward like starks did in our SB run. I'd really like to have the option to run instead of using it just to 'keep' defenses honest.

seriously; one of our biggest needs is a decent back ... in case you guys forgot last year what a cluster ... that was ... I mean if benson would of been ok then hey we might of had a run game ... btw we keeping cedrick?

... back to lacy (liked this guys lateral moves; not like one of our backs that we've had in our recent past).
Offline wpr  
#51 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:55:57 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,027
Applause Received: 1,467

Originally Posted by: Dulak Go to Quoted Post

cant remember the last time we did that ... really like this guy too; nice lower body strength; and runs forward like starks did in our SB run. I'd really like to have the option to run instead of using it just to 'keep' defenses honest.

seriously; one of our biggest needs is a decent back ... in case you guys forgot last year what a cluster ... that was ... I mean if benson would of been ok then hey we might of had a run game ... btw we keeping cedrick?

... back to lacy (liked this guys lateral moves; not like one of our backs that we've had in our recent past).

they won't re sign ceddy now. no need.

UserPostedImage

Offline Pack93z  
#52 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:07:41 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 396
Applause Received: 1,073

A Bama angle on Lacy..

Quote:
Alabama Football 2012: Get to Know Tide Running Back Eddie Lacy

BY JOHN ROE (CONTRIBUTOR) ON APRIL 18, 2012

Eddie Lacy projects to be Alabama’s starting tailback for the 2012 campaign, a monumental task considering he is following in the footsteps of two first-round draft picks that made the trip to New York for the Heisman presentation in Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson. In addition to being great backs, Ingram and Richardson also made headlines with numerous personal storylines including Ingram’s incarcerated ex-NFL father and Richardson’s two young daughters.

As it stands now, most people really don’t know a lot about the Tide’s new starter. Sure, they know he likes to use a spin move and has a very annoying big toe, but outside of Bryant Denny on Saturday afternoons he remains much of a mystery to the Crimson faithful.

So let’s get to know Eddie Lacy a bit shall we.

Lacy spent a large part of his childhood just outside of New Orleans in Gretna. Unfortunately, Lacy and his mother Wanda were displaced from their home by Hurricane Katrina and had to move away from the storm ravaged city.

The family wound up in Geismar, Louisiana near the southeastern corner of the state where he played for the 5A Dutchtown High School Griffins and Coach Benny Saia. Dutchtown is a large high school with a student body approaching 2,500.

In Lacy’s junior year, he was first team all state rushing for 1800 yards and 27 touchdowns. He followed that up with an injury filled senior season, but still managed to top 1,000 yards rushing and score 17 touchdowns.

The injuries in his final year at Dutchtown impacted his ratings with recruiting services as the analysts basically just didn’t have the chance to see him play as often higher profile recruits like Bryce Brown and Christine Michael (both prime examples of 5-star busts), likely the reason that Bama was able to handcuff the 4-star Lacy in the same recruiting class as Trent Richardson despite offers from many top tier programs including in state LSU.

Coach Nick Saban and his staff had concerns about Lacy’s academic eligibility at the time of his commitment and the young running back had to attend summer school to meet NCAA clearinghouse requirements before being able to enroll at the Capstone in the fall of 2009.

After redshirting in 2009, Lacy worked his way to third on the depth chart behind returning Heisman winner Mark Ingram and his very capable back up Trent Richardson.

Playing primarily in mop up duty, Lacy managed to gain over 400 yards and score six touchdowns in helping the Tide to a 10-3 record and a Capital One Bowl spanking of co-Big Ten champs Michigan State.

In Lacy’s sophomore season he was given a much more meaningful role as Richardson’s primary back up. He produced a solid season of 631 yards and seven touchdowns despite fighting a nagging turf toe injury all season. Ball security concerns from his freshman season seemed to no longer be a factor as he did not lose a fumble on the season.

Unfortunately, the junior had to miss all of spring practice after undergoing surgery to hopefully correct the most famous toe in Alabama, but nevertheless the starting gig appears to be firmly in his grasp.

This I love.. kind of disputes some of the lack of passion comments on him..

Quote:
No troubles with the law. No collegiate academic probation. No. 42 just does his work and comes ready to perform on Saturdays.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#53 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:17:22 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Dulak Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, wild draft for us at RB with both Lacy and Franklin. I do think we keep Ced around. The players, especially Rodgers, and the staff seemed to really like his presence last season, and he can help to show these two new players the way, unlike Starks and Green, neither of whom could stay healthy. Cedric Benson is a back who really knows how to run in the NFL. That much was apparent in the little we got to see of him last season. I think he sticks.
Offline Pack93z  
#54 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:28:08 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 396
Applause Received: 1,073

Maybe Lacy will develop into a Kuhn type role for the Packers.. him and Franklin/Harris would pose some issues for a defense... especially if the can establish the run. Misdirection forcing a defense to commit one way of another.. hmmmm.

This would keep his touches down and give us another element on the ground.. he can block and has done well in the screen aspect..
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#55 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:43:09 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Maybe Lacy will develop into a Kuhn type role for the Packers.. him and Franklin/Harris would pose some issues for a defense... especially if the can establish the run. Misdirection forcing a defense to commit one way of another.. hmmmm.

This would keep his touches down and give us another element on the ground.. he can block and has done well in the screen aspect..

I'd like them to use maybe more 2 back sets with Lacy/Franklin on the left and Harris on the right. I bet they could come up some really creative things with that formation.

Lacy will be in more goaline sets than any of them. And I-formations if we decide to keep Kuhn or keep several Blocking TEs.

So much flexibility.
nerdmann on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Online Zero2Cool  
#56 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2013 10:50:16 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,953
Applause Received: 2,182

Its only one scrimmage and maybe the run defense is lacking, but maybe I was wr....not right in my Lacy prediction.
UserPostedImage
wpr on 8/4/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#57 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2013 11:09:53 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,027
Applause Received: 1,467

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Its only one scrimmage and maybe the run defense is lacking, but maybe I was wr....not right in my Lacy prediction.

I was thinking you may be wr... not exactly right in your assessment but that you wouldn't mind it if you were very very very wr.. not exactly right.

UserPostedImage

Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#58 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2013 11:28:25 AM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 110

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

Did it sound something like this?

Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
play2win on 8/5/2013(UTC)
Rss Feed