You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:36:18 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 1,231
Joined: 12/11/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 70

JSOnline wrote:
When the standard was Nick Collins, it's probably hard for Packers GM Ted Thompson not to be picky about who is going to play safety for him.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Online wpr  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:41:04 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Posts: 11,901
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,425
Applause Received: 1,204

They will pick up someone in the draft this year that fills the need.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 3/28/2013(UTC)
Offline dhazer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:07:35 AM(UTC)
dhazer

Rank: Pro Bowl

Posts: 3,876
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 176

I am sure Ted Thompson will draft someone that was injury prone in college and wonder how come he never gets on the field in the pros.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Online PackFanWithTwins  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:23:12 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,649
Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 346

So the standard is average play for 3 years before coming into their own year 4. That would put burnett right on schedule. His play in his position has been no worse than Nick's. If people would look back, there was talk his 3rd year, and going into 4th that he might not be the answer and should look for other options. There was debate on who was going to become the better safety, Rouse or Collins.

Expectations need to be realistic.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DakotaT on 3/28/2013(UTC)
Offline Rockmolder  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:35:59 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Netherlands
Posts: 6,344
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 143
Applause Received: 216

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
They will pick up someone in the draft this year that fills the need.


With Jerron McMillian and M.D. Jennings on the roster as young projects, a 3rd - 7th rounder wouldn't really help us fill any gaps, though, so you'd have to draft on very early on.

Apart from Vaccaro, Elam, Rambo and maybe Cyprien, I don't think that any safety in this draft class would immediatly fill that void. And all of those guys would mean using our first rounder or trading up in the 2nd. Rambo, of course, being the exception to that, most likely, but he has some character concerns.

That said, this is one heck of a safety class. I think that, if you feel like McMillian can step in for a year, you could get quite a project and an eventual starter a bit later on with a player like Tony Jefferson (if you don't look into his combine too much), Josh Evans or Earl Wolff.
UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:18:57 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Posts: 11,901
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,425
Applause Received: 1,204

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
I am sure Ted Thompson will draft someone that was injury prone in college and wonder how come he never gets on the field in the pros.


exactly. that is all Uncle Teddy does is draft broken down players who can't make it in the Big Show. Rolling Eyes
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 3/28/2013(UTC)
Online wpr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:30:39 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Posts: 11,901
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,425
Applause Received: 1,204

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder Go to Quoted Post
With Jerron McMillian and M.D. Jennings on the roster as young projects, a 3rd - 7th rounder wouldn't really help us fill any gaps, though, so you'd have to draft on very early on.

Apart from Vaccaro, Elam, Rambo and maybe Cyprien, I don't think that any safety in this draft class would immediatly fill that void. And all of those guys would mean using our first rounder or trading up in the 2nd. Rambo, of course, being the exception to that, most likely, but he has some character concerns.

That said, this is one heck of a safety class. I think that, if you feel like McMillian can step in for a year, you could get quite a project and an eventual starter a bit later on with a player like Tony Jefferson (if you don't look into his combine too much), Josh Evans or Earl Wolff.


You don't like TJ McDonald?
Quote:

McDonald has the flexibility to play strong or free safety. He has good instincts and is a hard hitter, too. If the senior has another good season, he could be a first-round pick. McDonald would immediately fit well in any NFL zone scheme since he been coached up by Monte Kiffin on the scheme he ran in Tampa Bay for many years.

3/9/13: McDonald notched 112 tackles, 6.5 tackles for a loss, three passes broken up and two interceptions in 2012. He was a physical enforcer for the Trojans' defense. McDonald had impressive days against Stanford and Utah, but struggled versus Oregon. He put on a quality showing at the Senior Bowl. McDonald was okay at the Combine. He looks like a straight-line safety for the NFL.


He will probably go in the 2nd or 3rd.

As you mentioned there are quality players throughout the whole draft.

Position Review: Safeties

Quote:
Safety Class
Early-round talent: A
Mid-round: A
Late-round: A-
Overall grade: A



I certainly don't want a S in the 7th round and expect him to contribute this year or even next year.
It is really hard to predict who is going to be available in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.0 | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.174 seconds.