You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 1:22:43 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 70

JSOnline wrote:
Green Bay --- Ten minutes after the deadline, Jermichael Finley announced the news himself.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Yerko  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 1:37:49 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 108
Applause Received: 197

Looks like Jermichael Finley will be the focus of scrutiny for another season because I am guessing a majority, including myself, can agree that he should not and is not worth that amount of $.
I usually don't bitch about TT's off-season moves. I have been on board with the restructure of Hawk (instead of cutting him like most want), the re-signing of Brad Jones and the overall quietness of not signing any high-priced, older FAs. However, this one is baffling. I have no idea what the Packers see in Finley other than this "potential" they always speak of.

Damn.
UserPostedImage
Online DoddPower  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 1:44:47 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Applause Given: 1,453
Applause Received: 340

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
Looks like Jermichael Finley will be the focus of scrutiny for another season because I am guessing a majority, including myself, can agree that he should not and is not worth that amount of $.
I usually don't bitch about TT's off-season moves. I have been on board with the restructure of Hawk (instead of cutting him like most want), the re-signing of Brad Jones and the overall quietness of not signing any high-priced, older FAs. However, this one is baffling. I have no idea what the Packers see in Finley other than this "potential" they always speak of.

Damn.

Finley has a substantial value to the Packers. Is it worth $8+ million? No, probably not. They are paying him a few million more than he is likely worth, but releasing him would likely hurt the Packers more than spending a few million extra for one more season would. I think that's the larger point. As I stated in another thread, sometimes players get paid more, or less, than they are worth for a season or two. It happens. Not every player on a roster makes exactly what they are worth every season (see AJ Hawk previously, Aaron Rodgers, CM3, etc.). It's not ideal, but it just happens.

thanks Post received 4 applause.
Pack93z on 3/25/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 3/25/2013(UTC), Rockmolder on 3/25/2013(UTC), earthquake on 3/25/2013(UTC)
Offline Rockmolder  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 1:45:01 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Netherlands

Applause Given: 143
Applause Received: 215

Maybe he can afford postage to Europe now.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 3/25/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 1:53:25 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 352
Applause Received: 932

Finley has a issue with a PR filter from his mouth to the mic... but beyond that he is a fine football player for the Packers.

Overpaid.. probably slightly.. but lets compare some names on the market.

Zach Miller.. 11m cap number this season.
Veron Davis 8.739
Heath Miller 7.958
Antonio Gates 6.862
Marcedes Lewis 8.25 (however he converted some of the bonus to reduce the cap number this season to 5.75)

By standard of some of these names.. he isn't that far out of whack on the top end of the market.. even though his production in near the top.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool on 3/25/2013(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 2:01:49 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 108
Applause Received: 197

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
Finley has a substantial value to the Packers. Is it worth $8+ million? No, probably not. They are paying him a few million more than he is likely worth, but releasing him would likely hurt the Packers more than spending a few million extra for one more season would. I think that's the larger point. As I stated in another thread, sometimes players get paid more, or less, than they are worth for a season or two. It happens. Not every player on a roster makes exactly what they are worth every season (see AJ Hawk previously, Aaron Rodgers, CM3, etc.). It's not ideal, but it just happens.

I understand that and I don't think cutting Finley would be the logical move. I wasn't trying to say that. Its clear that Finley has value to this offense and a majority of it is being a "decoy" to open up other receivers. Like you are saying, I just don't think he is worth that current contract and to me, something should have and probably could have changed. At this point I was hoping for a restructure or a trade for a draft pick.

I could care less what Finley does off the field in terms of "saying the wrong things" or coming off as an ass while talking to media. All I care about is the production on the field and he has yet to produce what he and the Packers say he can.

Color me naive for thinking there are potentially 2-3 tight ends in this draft that are better, both in blocking and receiving that Finley. I may be in the minority there.
UserPostedImage
play2win on 3/25/2013(UTC)
Offline Rockmolder  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 2:10:23 PM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Netherlands

Applause Given: 143
Applause Received: 215

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post

Fair enough, but if you cut him, you end up with just $500,000.- in dead money, if I understand correctly.

Martellus Bennett (4 years, $20 million)
Delanie Walker (4 years, $17.5M; $8.6M guaranteed)
Anthony Fasano (4 years, $16M; $4.5 signing bonus)
Tony Gonzalez (2 years, $14M; $7M guaranteed) -- Really just a one year, $7 million deal.
Dustin Keller (1 year, $4.25 million)
Brandon Myers (1 year, $2.25 million)

Especially on those later signings there's a lot of value. Keller is a better TE than Finley, yet, getting just half of his salary.

I would've cut Finley and signed a servicable FA. I'd even rather have a guy like Fred Davis at a reasonable price than carry Finley who's earning $8.5 million. That'd give you some space to either take look at another servicable player like Huff or, in hindsight, Pollard (signed for 1 year, $2.5 million).

Even if you wouldn't do that, it'd give you some space to negotiate with Matthews and put some of that cap money in this year... Or carry it over to next year.

Any way I look at it, I'm not a fan of this move.
UserPostedImage
Offline porky88  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 2:44:24 PM(UTC)
porky88

Applause Given: 156
Applause Received: 284

There are two reasons you cut a player the caliber of Finley. Either you have better alternatives at a better price or your salary cap situation is dire enough to warrant the move. The Packers alternatives are underwhelming and they’re nearly $20 million under. There was never a significant reason to cut him. It never made any sense. He’s a big part of the football team and will make a lot of money.

As Dodd said, he’s probably not worth this much, but a player is always going to make too much or too little at some point in his career. Frankly, though, Finley has the potential to be worth more than a little over $8 million. I know he’s frustrating at times, but he’s only 26-years-old. He’s been in the league long enough that he seems older, but most 26-years-old still have their best football ahead of them.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 3/25/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 3/25/2013(UTC)
Online wpr  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 2:52:29 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,397
Applause Received: 1,188

I would have liked to have JerMike at a lower value but all in all it will work. It will not shock me if he really blossoms this year. Yes I know we have been saying that for a long time. With Greg gone they will need him more.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 2:54:52 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,738
Applause Received: 1,786

I was kind of hoping for a 3 year deal that was a little more friendly on the 2013 cap, but I think the Packers have lost enough players. It's time to sign their own long term... specifically Aaron and Clay.

I do love Finley's reaction though.

‏@JermichaelF88: Ecstatic 2 b back w @packers. Best place on earth. Thank u 2 my agents & family @blakebaratz @Jhart5266. I appreciate all that u do

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline JustinAVA182  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 3:31:32 PM(UTC)
JustinAVA182

United States

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 29

I don't like the deal but when your desperate you gotta do what you gotta do. I hope he finally proves me wrong this year.. Shut people up like Jones did last year.. Pack took care of you Fin now your turn to take care of them.
UserPostedImage
Offline JustinAVA182  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 3:35:00 PM(UTC)
JustinAVA182

United States

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 29

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I was kind of hoping for a 3 year deal that was a little more friendly on the 2013 cap, but I think the Packers have lost enough players. It's time to sign their own long term... specifically Aaron and Clay.

I do love Finley's reaction though.

‏@JermichaelF88: Ecstatic 2 b back w @packers. Best place on earth. Thank u 2 my agents & family @blakebaratz @Jhart5266. I appreciate all that u do

I'd be ecstatic too if 3 Mill guaranteed money dropped into my bank account a day before my b day lol.
UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 3:54:04 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,397
Applause Received: 1,188

Originally Posted by: JustinAVA182 Go to Quoted Post
I'd be ecstatic too if 3 Mill guaranteed money dropped into my bank account a day before my b day lol.

give me your routing number and I will. Laughing

It will only cost you a modest fee for shipping and handling. Big Grin
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Online play2win  
#14 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 4:30:14 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 843
Applause Received: 547

We are paying to #7 money to a #22 performer at TE. Why? He's a good decoy? Wow.

He must be a really fucking good decoy. $8.75M for 2013. We could have saved $8.25 on this year's cap. Bad move IMO, and I would love for the guy to show me otherwise.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 4:38:11 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,738
Applause Received: 1,786

The contract was signed last year and was a two year deal, therefore this isn't a new signing or a new move or anything.

I don't understand why so many are bitching about this, yet where are the complaints about the Packers paying the #1 QB a salary that's probably not even top 10! OH wait, said QB doesn't speak his mind freely via Twitter and the media doesn't twist his words around making him look more foolish than he is.

Bashing Finley doesn't make you cool. It shows you're short sighted.

Sometimes I think Packers fans dislike their own players more than the rest of the NFL. Crazy.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
DakotaT on 3/26/2013(UTC)