Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JustJeff  
#31 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:41:19 AM(UTC)
JustJeff

Rank: 7th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 2/5/2013(UTC)
Location: Backin' the Pack

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Apparently The Commish thought he was being an asshole. Can't say I disagree.


What?

Let's think for a minute... Jolly had a real problem with codeine addiction. He failed multiple drug tests and ultimately landed in jail.

Apparently the commissioner wanted Jolly to pass some drug tests as a free man.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 2/28/2013(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#32 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 12:06:55 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

I just miss his 11-12 Pass deflections in 2009. Jolly swat!
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 3/1/2013(UTC), Zero2Cool on 3/1/2013(UTC)
Offline shield4life  
#33 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 12:24:28 PM(UTC)
shield4life

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Montreal

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
I just miss his 11-12 Pass deflections in 2009. Jolly swat!


I'd be really surprised to see him back as he was in 2009. Let's not forget our scheme has changed & the game's changing as well. Revolving a lot on speed now!
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Offline FLORIDA PACKER88  
#34 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 4:51:47 PM(UTC)
FLORIDA PACKER88

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/13/2011(UTC)
Location: N/A

Applause Given: 34
Applause Received: 6

Originally Posted by: shield4life Go to Quoted Post
I'd be really surprised to see him back as he was in 2009. Let's not forget our scheme has changed & the game's changing as well. Revolving a lot on speed now!



The speed shouldnt be thatmuch of a factor considering there are still plenty of guys from 09 still in the league haha. Not like the game of football has totally changed since he last played. Yes we have the advent of the read-option in the NFL, but what would a guy like Jolly do in our defense other than take up some blockers and try to penetrate into the backfield occasionally? It's not like we're going to rely on him to stretch a play out and chase down a Runningback from a two point stance. If he's in any form of shape I think we need to give him a shot as a camp body at the very least. We know he's got the talent, lets see if he can wash off the rust and make something out of it. If he cant then we cut him and no harm done. I could see this being a very Koren Robinson esq. move, very low risk with some decent payback.


Offline steveishere  
#35 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 4:55:01 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Everybody is always down on Pickett and CJ Wilson because they don't bring much pass rush but are excited about Jolly who never brought much pass rush.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#36 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 7:51:38 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Oh ya that guy won't be the same for 2 years if he returns on a team. But you never know, you work out so much in prison and he probably lost a lot of weight. I believe in 2nd chances. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the team in Training camp as a backup. If we gave Justin Harrell so many chances, we can give this guy one.
Offline JustJeff  
#37 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:41:26 AM(UTC)
JustJeff

Rank: 7th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 2/5/2013(UTC)
Location: Backin' the Pack

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Everybody is always down on Pickett and CJ Wilson because they don't bring much pass rush but are excited about Jolly who never brought much pass rush.

Jolly's game is different than anyone on our current D-line. The guy is the prototypical power pig, pure, brute strenth. He may not have gotten a lot of sacks, but he brought a LOT of pressure. The ball came out quicker because his man was going into the QB's lap. Gaycandybacon mentioned Jolly's knack for pass deflections, that wasn't coincidence. It was because he was in the quarterback's grill.

Jolly's power isn't because he's a gym rat. His game wasn't built in the weight room. He's a naturally powerful man. If he can be in football shape by the end of camp, he will likely be back where he was.

As for the idea that the scheme has changed - sorry - Jolly was starting in Dom's 3-4 the last time we saw him. He's perfect for the power DE in our scheme.

A lot of people on this forum keep referring to speed when talking D-line. I don't understand that at all. How fast do you want your big guys to run? You want speed at Linebacker, but if you're expecting guys who weigh between 315 and 350 to run fast, you're asking for something that simply doesn't exist.

Jolly doesn't make a penny if he doesn't make the team. His $2.5 million tender (if not regegotiated) is 2% of the cap. That's small money for a starter, which I would expect from him if he makes the team.


UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Zero2Cool on 3/2/2013(UTC), DakotaT on 3/2/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#38 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:21:58 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,953
Applause Received: 2,183

Originally Posted by: JustJeff Go to Quoted Post
A lot of people on this forum keep referring to speed when talking D-line. I don't understand that at all. How fast do you want your big guys to run? You want speed at Linebacker, but if you're expecting guys who weigh between 315 and 350 to run fast, you're asking for something that simply doesn't exist.


I think if you watch this video, it might help understand why some folks are frenzied over the speed factor, - link. This is their expectation of a defensive lineman.
UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#39 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:30:33 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Originally Posted by: JustJeff Go to Quoted Post
Jolly's game is different than anyone on our current D-line. The guy is the prototypical power pig, pure, brute strenth. He may not have gotten a lot of sacks, but he brought a LOT of pressure. The ball came out quicker because his man was going into the QB's lap. Gaycandybacon mentioned Jolly's knack for pass deflections, that wasn't coincidence. It was because he was in the quarterback's grill.

Jolly's power isn't because he's a gym rat. His game wasn't built in the weight room. He's a naturally powerful man. If he can be in football shape by the end of camp, he will likely be back where he was.

As for the idea that the scheme has changed - sorry - Jolly was starting in Dom's 3-4 the last time we saw him. He's perfect for the power DE in our scheme.

A lot of people on this forum keep referring to speed when talking D-line. I don't understand that at all. How fast do you want your big guys to run? You want speed at Linebacker, but if you're expecting guys who weigh between 315 and 350 to run fast, you're asking for something that simply doesn't exist.

Jolly doesn't make a penny if he doesn't make the team. His $2.5 million tender (if not regegotiated) is 2% of the cap. That's small money for a starter, which I would expect from him if he makes the team.




That is basically a bunch of bull. Jolly was a run stopper he brought hardly any pressure at all.
Offline steveishere  
#40 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:49:28 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Jolly had 12 pressures in his last season. The next year Jarius Wynn had 10, and everyone hated Wynn for his lack of pass rushing ability. Don't get me wrong Jolly in 2009 form would be overall the best or 2nd best lineman on the team but that doesn't mean we'd suddenly get a great pass rush from the interior.
Offline DakotaT  
#41 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 8:38:11 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Isn't the issue right now whether or not the Packers bring Jolly to camp? The rest of it will work itself out. Nobody is going to just hand Jolly the starting job. If he starts and/or plays a lot of snaps, it will be because he earned them.

So the question right now among us is whether or not we feel Jolly is worthy of coming back. I'm not a big "Packer People" supporter because I believe everyone deserves second, third, fourth, or however many chances they need. None of us are water walkers, and since our Dline needs some changes - Jolly just might ge a Godsend right now. I hope he busted his ass to stay in shape, and I hope he is given the chance to succeed again.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 3/2/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#42 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 9:32:32 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,627
Applause Received: 651

Maybe he'll be fresh, from not taking a pounding the last three years. lol
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online yooperfan  
#43 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 9:43:17 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Ishpeming Michigan

Applause Given: 604
Applause Received: 274

The Packers need help on the DL so they should at least bring him in for a look.
Preferabally before the draft if that's possible.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 3/2/2013(UTC)
Offline JustJeff  
#44 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 12:45:14 PM(UTC)
JustJeff

Rank: 7th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 2/5/2013(UTC)
Location: Backin' the Pack

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 16

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Jolly had 12 pressures in his last season. The next year Jarius Wynn had 10, and everyone hated Wynn for his lack of pass rushing ability. Don't get me wrong Jolly in 2009 form would be overall the best or 2nd best lineman on the team but that doesn't mean we'd suddenly get a great pass rush from the interior.

"Pressures" as a stat is a very subjective stat. So... ten blocked passes in 12 pressures?

Zero, There's no doubt that Mike Daniels has speed, but there's a reason we only use him as a three-technique under in the nickel.

UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#45 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:14:57 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Originally Posted by: JustJeff Go to Quoted Post
"Pressures" as a stat is a very subjective stat. So... ten blocked passes in 12 pressures?

Zero, There's no doubt that Mike Daniels has speed, but there's a reason we only use him as a three-technique under in the nickel.



You can get blown a yard backward off the line and still knock down a pass that doesn't mean you got pressure on the QB. Sure pressures is somewhat subjective but I think it's safe to say that if someone is charting your pass rushes and comes away with 12 then you didn't get much pressure whether that's the exact number or not. It's also safe to say that when Jolly was playing he most certainly did not get "a lot" of pressure on the QB.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
4 Pages<1234>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
53m / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

20h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

22-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

21-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

21-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Yerko

21-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan