Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rockmolder  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 7:57:42 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 237

On the whole Greg to Miami thing...

Bob McGinn:
Quote:
Things can always change, but I've been told that #Dolphins' Joe Philbin isn't a huge fan of Greg Jennings as a player. Needs a WR but ...
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#17 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 8:17:05 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 280

Uhhmm am I the only one who sees Jennings being really upset if he has to play under a 1 year deal right now? talk about costing him millions in the long run.
call me Dan
Offline Rockmolder  
#18 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 8:24:05 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 237

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
Uhhmm am I the only one who sees Jennings being really upset if he has to play under a 1 year deal right now? talk about costing him millions in the long run.

He might be, as he's not getting any younger, but his last two seasons haven't really helped his contract situation, either.

It'd be a chance to prove that he's still that 1,200 yard receiver and maybe get even more in FA... Or don't do a thing and lose even more money.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#19 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 8:24:29 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,845
Applause Received: 2,001

It could work out in his favor if he plays all 16 games and nets over 1,000 yards, 10+ TD's and 80+ catches. Teams would be lining up for a player like that, far more than his current stats.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline play2win  
#20 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 8:57:34 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

No. I believe that would be the case too. I think Jennings has an inflated sense of his own worth in the FA market, and I really question the idea of hitting him with the tag. Not to mention, what would our return really be with a player who might feel like he's underpaid? At $10M+??? Wow.

I'm thinking we should stay away, unfortunately. I like Jennings a lot and he is a good fit in GB, at least he was. His posturing during all of last season was evident, and it seems foolish to try to bring a player back after that. $10M+ can go a very long way towards shoring up some other areas of our team. That is a big price tag, just for the tag amount, and he wants way more. Matthews and Rodgers will be astronomical cap figures.

Tagging Jennings makes no sense to me unless it is sign and trade. I don't see the value in keeping a potentially disgruntled player for a near max contract, especially with all the positions we still need to address on this Packers team.
Offline earthquake  
#21 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 9:07:16 AM(UTC)
earthquake

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 45

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the new CBA put in some extra rules to prevent/discourage the tag and trade thing? Like, once a player is tagged and traded they can not negotiate a new contract until the next season, or something else to that effect. I can't remember where I read that or if its accurate, but that would seem to make a tag+trade scenario much less likely.

All things considered, I don't think a $10m/1 year rental of Greg Jennings is all that risky. He's one of the better receivers in the league when healthy, and its a one year deal, the cap repercussions are quite small. So even if the intent is to tag and trade him, its not really a big deal if a trade doesn't happen, unlike say last year with Flynn, where they would have been stuck paying $15m(or whatever the amount was) to a backup QB.

Would Jennings be happy about it? I doubt it, nobody is ever happy that they are getting tagged. I don't think he we would turn into a malcontent though.
blank
Offline Yerko  
#22 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 10:17:47 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 229

As a fan, I had enabled myself to move on from losing a guy like Jennings. I didn't like seeing this rumor/news. Packers can do so much more by not tagging him. I am not saying drafting a wide receiver will fill the hole Jennings leaves, but the Packers won plenty of games without him in the line up. They already have the tools to have a successful passing game (minus a great offensive line).

I'd prefer a 2nd or 3rd round WR draft pick over tagging Jennings. His ship has sailed.

Addition to my initial thoughts. If that is a real quote from Philbin, I REALLY don't want the Packers to resign him. The Dolphins are a team that actually needs a wide receiver and the HC is saying "no" to a top 10 free agent receiver...
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 10:20:40 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,845
Applause Received: 2,001

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
As a fan, I had enabled myself to move on from losing a guy like Jennings. I didn't like seeing this rumor/news. Packers can do so much more by not tagging him. I am not saying drafting a wide receiver will fill the hole Jennings leaves, but the Packers won plenty of games without him in the line up. They already have the tools to have a successful passing game (minus a great offensive line).

I'd prefer a 2nd or 3rd round WR draft pick over tagging Jennings. His ship has sailed.

Addition to my initial thoughts. If that is a real quote from Philbin, I REALLY don't want the Packers to resign him. The Dolphins are a team that actually needs a wide receiver and the HC is saying "no" to a top 10 free agent receiver...

I am not arguing you, merely inquiring, ... how do you see Greg Jennings ship has sailed, and what ship exactly?

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline dhazer  
#24 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 11:10:02 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 191

From what I have been reading is that Miami is after Mike Wallace and then Wes Welker than Jennings, I don't see anyone forking out the big bucks for Jennings right now. He has been injury prone and getting up there in age and the main thing is he is not a game changer. The defense doesn't have to scheme around him ala Megatron, Fitz or even Roddy White or Jones. I hope they let him walk and watch his disappointment when he has to sign with some bad team for a low price.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Yerko  
#25 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 11:11:37 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 229

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I am not arguing you, merely inquiring, ... how do you see Greg Jennings ship has sailed, and what ship exactly?

Like our previous convo in the other Jennings franchise tag thread, Jennings does not want to be a Packer with the franchise tag...not that he has a choice, but he was very clear on his feelings with that. I think by not extending him a contract during last season (don't blame them), the ship has sailed on the relationship between Jennings and the Packers.

He is ready to move on and the Packers should be more than ready to move on. Maybe I have talked myself too much into believing the Packers will be more than okay without Jennings, but when I saw his asking price on the market I don't think I did. I think tagging Jennings dampers the Packers ability to do other things with this team.

The only way I would agree with Jennings being tagged is if the Packers had a trade ready. As crappy as that is, its a business. Its a deal that as a Packers fan, I'd like because the return should be something nice. It also ensures Jennings will not be in the NFC North.

I think Jennings can play and I also think a team is going to offer close to his asking price. My first thought was the Dolphins but with McGinn's recent comments on how Philbin feels about Jennings, that was a bit shot down.

Sorry, kinda went on after answering your main question.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#26 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 11:26:04 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,022

I think the Packers are better off letting Jennings hit the market and if the money is right, resign him at that point. I just happen to think the tag is too large of a commitment to Jennings if he signs it and plays only the one year. Think Jones a couple of seasons ago.

Not to mention.. Greg doesn't want the tag and that could make the situation relatively toxic..

Quote:
One thing Jennings would not be excited about: The possibility of Packers putting the franchise tag on him – which is an option, given his injury-plagued season, and the relatively manageable cost of roughly $10 million.

Asked if the tag was a slap in the face, Jennings replied, “Yes. Nothing good about it. You don’t see (New England wide receiver) Wes Welker smiling about it.

“You want your job to have some sense of sustainability, some foundation where you can just sit your family and know you’ll be somewhere for a certain amount of time. Well, franchise tags give you one year. So it’s like, ‘OK, we’ve got one year.’ Who knows? I’ll be in the same position talking about contract situation all over again. it’s just not clear. It’s not in the best interest of the player to be in that position.”

I just don't see the Packers in a position where they have to tag Jennings.. to me, it just isn't a sound decision in terms of value vs performance.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Yerko on 2/25/2013(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#27 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 12:18:49 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Greg Jennings wrote:
“You want your job to have some sense of sustainability, some foundation where you can just sit your family and know you’ll be somewhere for a certain amount of time. Well, franchise tags give you one year. So it’s like, ‘OK, we’ve got one year.’ Who knows? I’ll be in the same position talking about contract situation all over again. it’s just not clear. It’s not in the best interest of the player to be in that position.”

If your family is what matters above all else, why not retire with the colossal amount of money you already have while you still have your health? Settle down wherever you want, work part time for the rest of your life to keep yourself busy.

I know, I know, it's a legitimate factor from a player's perspective. I just hate hearing them pull the "well, my family..." card when it's really about your job and passion, not your family.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#28 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 12:52:33 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,751
Applause Received: 1,319

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
If your family is what matters above all else, why not retire with the colossal amount of money you already have while you still have your health? Settle down wherever you want, work part time for the rest of your life to keep yourself busy.

I know, I know, it's a legitimate factor from a player's perspective. I just hate hearing them pull the "well, my family..." card when it's really about your job and passion, not your family.

I know a place he can work part time and make sandwiches with a Rams RB. Big Grin
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
dhazer on 2/25/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#29 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 1:03:41 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post

I just don't see the Packers in a position where they have to tag Jennings..

Yeah, they are not in that position. I would love to have him back, playing for GB, but not at any price.

Let's put it this way. I'd rather take that money and sign both Chris Canty and Cullen Jenkins. That would make our team much better overall.

Edited by user Monday, February 25, 2013 1:22:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Porforis  
#30 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 1:31:35 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I know a place he can work part time and make sandwiches with a Rams RB. Big Grin

Or if he likes Wisconsin, I'm sure he can find countless businesses that'd hire him more based on who he is rather than his skills. Wasn't there another Ram rookie that was a used car salesman for a while? If I had two people offer me the same deal on equivalent cars and one of them was Greg Jennings, guess who I'd buy from?
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed