Rockmolder
14 years ago

Matt Cassell last year with the Patriots... Brady is dropped in the opener and everyone believes the Pats are done.. the pressure that was placed upon Cassell was every bit equal to that of Rodgers.

Listen I am proud of Rodgers last season.. he played above most people's expectations but it wasn't a 'god' like effort either. He had been in the same system for three years as an understudy and was ready for the challenge.

Oh, and please don't try to argue that the receiving core in NE is that superior to GB, while Moss might be better than Jennings, Driver is every bit the player Welker is and we are deeper.... hell they struggled with the running game too.

There is plenty of room for Rodgers to improve and I am excited to see how it plays out this season..

"pack93z" wrote:

Have you seen the time that he holds on to the ball, though? He makes Bart Starr look like Peyton Manning. He had a worse season behind a very good O-line and, although you disagree, their starting WR couple is better than ours. I don't that Driver is worse than Welker, but he's not a guy who's always open and has 110+ reception seasons. Depth, I might agree with you on.

I think that they're both pretty close, though. Like you said as well.

He did have a lot of pressure on him, though, and he coped with that very well. He played like a top 10/15 QB easily this year. I just think that he's going to have a huge drop-off this year.
mi_keys
14 years ago

Matt Cassell last year with the Patriots... Brady is dropped in the opener and everyone believes the Pats are done.. the pressure that was placed upon Cassell was every bit equal to that of Rodgers.

Listen I am proud of Rodgers last season.. he played above most people's expectations but it wasn't a 'god' like effort either. He had been in the same system for three years as an understudy and was ready for the challenge.

Oh, and please don't try to argue that the receiving core in NE is that superior to GB, while Moss might be better than Jennings, Driver is every bit the player Welker is and we are deeper.... hell they struggled with the running game too.

There is plenty of room for Rodgers to improve and I am excited to see how it plays out this season..

"pack93z" wrote:

Cassel had the exact same time (3 years) in the system learning everything. Just because no one was expecting Brady to leave or be injured doesn't mean he wasn't preparing to step in if needed. He had a great team around him to come into and to his credit he played very well. But I don't think you can say he had the same pressure put on him. Every Pats fan I know felt like well whatever he does is gravy, we'll be back next year with Brady. The pressure he faced was like an audition. It was his chance to get his name out there so he could get a starting job somewhere else the next year. He was under pressure, but not the same level of pressure that Rodgers faced.
Born and bred a cheesehead
dd80forever
14 years ago

"mi_keys" wrote:

Cassel had the exact same time (3 years) in the system learning everything. Just because no one was expecting Brady to leave or be injured doesn't mean he wasn't preparing to step in if needed. He had a great team around him to come into and to his credit he played very well. But I don't think you can say he had the same pressure put on him. Every Pats fan I know felt like well whatever he does is gravy, we'll be back next year with Brady. The pressure he faced was like an audition. It was his chance to get his name out there so he could get a starting job somewhere else the next year. He was under pressure, but not the same level of pressure that Rodgers faced.

"pack93z" wrote:

To me that is where the argument for Cassel having MORE pressure makes sense.

Cassel was playing for his career. If he would have bombed during his big chance no way he gets anything close to the payday he got.

Rodgers had his payday early on, and has no viable threat to take his job. GB is going to give A-Rod a chance one way or the other. NE was not going to do that with Cassel
blank
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

See but you just said it yourself. Everyone thought the pats were done for. No one expected Cassell to be this good quarterback. To me that isn't close to the pressure that was put on Rodgers. Favre retires, then wants to come back. Ted chooses Rodgers to run his offense. Not only does Rodgers have the pressure of taking over for the mighty Favre, but also the pressure of proving to Ted and everyone else that Ted and company made the right decision, choosing Rodgers over Favre right after he led his team to an appearance to the nfc championship. Don't get me wrong Cassell had a lot of pressure on him, but just not as much as Rodgers did.
UserPostedImage
musccy
14 years ago
You're right DD that this was basically Cassel's only shot...if he bonked last season he's going to be riding the pine for a long time, if even that.

Rodgers I think was in a similar boat...maybe he'd be given a little more leeway since there wasn't a great option behind him, but if he sucked last year, no doubt in my mind the packers bring in a vet, like rosenfelds (sp?) to provide security, and he's competing for his job again.
Pack93z
14 years ago

You're right Donald Driver that this was basically Cassel's only shot...if he bonked last season he's going to be riding the pine for a long time, if even that.

Rodgers I think was in a similar boat...maybe he'd be given a little more leeway since there wasn't a great option behind him, but if he sucked last year, no doubt in my mind the packers bring in a vet, like rosenfelds (sp?) to provide security, and he's competing for his job again.

"musccy" wrote:

Ding, Ding, Ding, that is why I used Cassell.. almost all the factors were similar, time in the league, system and talent around them.

We can slice the hairs on the receiving corps of both teams and compare the offensive lines.. but both lines are pass first, run second and the Pats like the Pack had it share of protection issues..

Have you seen the time that he holds on to the ball, though? He makes Bart Starr look like Peyton Manning.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Did you count the beats that Rodgers held the ball for the majority of the season.. he was a beat or two late at times..

To me, that is one of the clearest signs of a QB still gaining experience and confidence in his reads.. common among younger QB's. But that bodes well from Rodgers, because he is staying in the same system and doesn't have to relearn as much as Cassell will this season.

But back to the point, one can make a strong argument that Cassell pulled a very similar feat to Rodgers last season..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Didn't Cassell have a lot more time to throw the ball?

Anyhow, I'm sticking with my answer. Terry Bradshaw. Even the coach didn't like him.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

"cheeseheads123" wrote:

See but you just said it yourself. Everyone thought the pats were done for. No one expected Cassell to be this good quarterback. To me that isn't close to the pressure that was put on Rodgers. Favre retires, then wants to come back. Ted chooses Rodgers to run his offense. Not only does Rodgers have the pressure of taking over for the mighty Favre, but also the pressure of proving to Ted and everyone else that Ted and company made the right decision, choosing Rodgers over Favre right after he led his team to an appearance to the nfc championship. Don't get me wrong Cassell had a lot of pressure on him, but just not as much as Rodgers did.

"pack93z" wrote:

I will agree the media hype was greater for Rodgers than Cassell leading up to the season.. but I think it was Rodgers himself last season that he doesn't pay attention to what the media and fans are saying. Probably right around the time he told us to hop on board and shut up. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Cassell = Brady went down, fans knew he was coming back, did what he had to and did well
Rodgers = perception is the Packers chose HIM over the face of the franchise

Cassell and Rodgers, completely different pressures put on them. I highly doubt some little kid went up to Cassell during practice, flipped him off and said 'fuck you'.

Cassells predecessor was injured and would be returning. Fans knew this, everyone knew this.
Rodgers predecessor retired and unretired, leaving lots of uncertainty.

Rodgers got his chance because the former QB retired.
Cassell got his chance because the incumbent starter was lost for the 1 year.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Probably right around the time he told us to hop on board and shut up. ;)

"pack93z" wrote:

I dont feel I need to sell myself to the fans. They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut. -- Aaron Rodgers

Do you even know the context this was said? Do you know what was discussed prior to this comment? I'm not saying it was right, not at all, but to hold this grudge a year later for a man who made a mistake I think is kind of petty. Albeit, funny. 🙂 I'm thinking you're leaning more on the funny side of it rather than holding a grudge.

Rodgers would later say this in regards to the quote ...

"The hardest thing today and I've been pretty bummed out, to be honest is that I honestly care about the fans. I do. They make the team go," Rodgers said. "Hopefully our fans know how I really feel about them. Hopefully they think about the interactions I've had with them. I can't think of a single time where I've had a negative experience with a fan. That's my biggest fear that people look at (the quote) and say, 'The guy's arrogant, he hasn't done anything yet.' I realize that I haven't done anything yet. I've played one good game in the NFL in three years, and otherwise I've been a backup. I don't expect anyone to give me anything. I just don't want this quote to come off arrogant or as negative towards our fans.

"I'm going to let each individual search their own heart and let them decide what they think the question was or what questions were asked (to lead to the quote). To break down the quote as best as I can, the message I wanted to get out was, 'Let's move past myself, because it's not about me. Let's get on board with the Green Bay Packers of 2008.' I know the fans will cheer me or boo me depending on how I play. But let's not make it (only) about me, even though I'm at the most scrutinized position on field."

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (11h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (11h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (11h) : fuck
beast (12h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (12h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (13h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (13h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (13h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (13h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (13h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (13h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (14h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (15h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (15h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (15h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.