DarkaneRules
8 years ago
Gosh, I just cannot say enough about this coaching staff and Aaron dealing with all the changes, especially as it relates to personnel. They've obviously worked real hard at developing an offense that allows all of our players to be in the best position to make a play every down. It's damn impressive. Our offensive line did a great job blocking one of the most talented fronts in the league two weeks in a row. They are the unsung heroes.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
I could be mistaken on the distance as the point of it was Aaron Rodgers was completing short passes that have a high completion percentage, which is a smart thing to do.

I'm curious, so now I dig for facts. 🤤

Turns out Rodgers was 24 of 35 for the night and from behind the line of scrimmage to 9 yards, Rodgers was 19 of 24 and from 10 yards and further he was 5 of 11. And the Packers had only one dropped pass thanks to Davante Adams.

Let me rephrase that to make it more clear.

Aaron Rodgers threw 11 passes that traveled 10 or more yards and only 5 of them were completed. If this were any one else, we'd be jumping all over him calling him the CheckDownKing.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
8 years ago
Or we can call it the West Coast Offense.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago

The ESPN folks showed a stat that Aaron Rodgers didn't complete a pass over 5 or 10 yards through I think three quarters or something. I read the article, it is not that hard to understand the negative grade. It's not the end of the world. I am finding it humorous how some are all "look ProFootballFocus is the dumb!" over this. If you for a second thing there is anything that is concrete in determining player worth, you're kind of naive. Because, if there was, then we wouldn't see draft picks being cut from teams ... ever.

PFF is good information. You can ignore it, you can take parts of it or you can go crazy and believe every single grade.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I just don't know how the short passes lessens the grade. He took what was given to him and the players made the right plays to gain a bunch of YAC. Why take the low percentage downfield play when you have guys who can guys who can make a move (like Cobb) and turn a 5 yard pass into 20?

Probably a case where in general the formula tells the right story and this in an anomoly.
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

PFF was right about the 3 TD's to Cobb. Didn't exactly require a pin point throw to a small window downfield. It was about like handing the ball to Lacy. Aaron Rodgers doesn't get credit for doing that, so...

PFF is a great source of information. But like test scores in school, they are not a perfect measure. Just 1 source. Criticizing PFF for imperfection is like whining about the Packers D in the 4th qtr.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

I love what PFF and the Outsiders are doing to give real meaning to traditional NFL stats...

BUT...

"imperfection" is not the word I'd use to describe a minus grade for that performance. It's a flaw in the grading system that should be fixed, not arrogantly and nonsensically defended. That is if they want to be taken seriously by the NFL.

Darkane says "stats are dumb"😂, I get that! But I think stats are like guns: stats are not dumb, people that use them dumbly are dumb. The entire purpose of stats is to reflect the reality of how good a player is. Some stats do, some stats dont, depending on the situation. Or in this case, if a stat is manufactured and it transmogrifies reality of how good a player is, then the stat is dumb.

That grade says 17 or so NFL coaches preferred the way their guy performed at QB over Aaron Rodgers this week. But, the reality is all but a few would trade for AR's performance for that of their QB if they could, even if the fumble occurred, even if Maugua INT that pass. If AR's play was viewed as well above by EVERY NFL coach and talent evaluater, and PFF's grade shows it's below average; then the PFF stat is failing to account for important factors of play and/or it is giving inappropriate weight to those critical factors.

I agree to a degree what you said about Cobb; but like what PackFanWT said, those throws were pinpoint accurate and had pinpoint timing. They were relatively easy throws. But, if say Cutler, Bridgewater or Stafford makes those 3 throws, the timing or location would have been off a touch on 1 or more of the 3, then i bet Cobb doesn't score on all 3 plays.

YAC is 80-90% about the throw being in a perfect location at a perfect time based on the position of the D and 10-20% about the receiver avoiding or breaking tackles.

On short passes:
In the 1st half, Smith also threw alot of short passes, did those fail because our D is so much better than KC's? Do we have alot more receiving talent over Macklin, Kelce and Charles? IMHO, the difference is Smith's reading an execution was much much worse than AR's, even on the short passes. What was his PFF grade?????
nerdmann
8 years ago

Or we can call it the West Coast Offense.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I was digging that high percentage shit in the chat room.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

I could be mistaken on the distance as the point of it was Aaron Rodgers was completing short passes that have a high completion percentage, which is a smart thing to do.

I'm curious, so now I dig for facts. 🤤

Turns out Rodgers was 24 of 35 for the night and from behind the line of scrimmage to 9 yards, Rodgers was 19 of 24 and from 10 yards and further he was 5 of 11. And the Packers had only one dropped pass thanks to Davante Adams.

Let me rephrase that to make it more clear.

Aaron Rodgers threw 11 passes that traveled 10 or more yards and only 5 of them were completed. If this were any one else, we'd be jumping all over him calling him the CheckDownKing.

Expanding on this a little. I'm not trying to knock Rodgers for taking what the defense gives him. That's the smart thing to do when you're up against a helluva pass rush. It's like extended screens or draw plays. It keeps the defense honest.

Do I agree with the negative grade? No. I think amassing 5 touchdowns with no turnovers outweighs the short passes and the receivers piling up yards after catch. One thing about the YAC is if the QB doesn't lead the WR properly, there will not be any YAC to add. I think that fact is missing in the grading scheme for ProFootballFocus.

All in all though, if PFF is consistent with how they grade across the board, there is still value in the statistics. I'm not saying big value or small value, just value depending on how in depth you read into them and what you take from them.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
8 years ago
why did Rodgers only get .1 score for penalties when he caused 3 big offsides penalties? I guess an offsides is worth .033 score lol
dyeah_gb
8 years ago
I am surprised there is no mention of that fact that it was raining for about 3 quarters. Higher percentage short plays is smarter play with a potential slippery ball.

I do admit though that the 3 TD passes to Cobb reminded me of an AI exploiting play in Madden.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
yooperfan
8 years ago

The ESPN folks showed a stat that Aaron Rodgers didn't complete a pass over 5 or 10 yards through I think three quarters or something. I read the article, it is not that hard to understand the negative grade. It's not the end of the world. I am finding it humorous how some are all "look ProFootballFocus is the dumb!" over this. If you for a second thing there is anything that is concrete in determining player worth, you're kind of naive. Because, if there was, then we wouldn't see draft picks being cut from teams ... ever.

PFF is good information. You can ignore it, you can take parts of it or you can go crazy and believe every single grade.

Thanks, I choose to ignore it.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (16m) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (3h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (4h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (7h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (7h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (7h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (23h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (23h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (23h) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.