Zero2Cool
2 months ago
Who should be the five OL for Packers now that we got Little David back?

Although, this might not be the "best five" individuals, I think it's the best group. And I believe the sum of the parts is more important than the individual parts.

LT - David Bakhtiari
LG - Elgton Jenkins
C - Josh Myers
RG - Jon Runyan Jr
RT - Yosh Nijman
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 months ago
Adam Stenavich made the comment to the media in training camp that Yosh Nijman has not transitioned smoothly to right tackle when they have tried it. The question has been asked a couple of times by fans in the Packers inbox- I saw it about a week ago. and again this morning. The collective view seems to indicate that Yosh is a left tackle. not a right tackle. pretty much period, end of story. I personally have a perspective that he can play right tackle, I think he did his senior year in college, but I am not the offensive coordinator. I should be, but that's an opinion 🤷
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .000018 % of the Packers

beast
2 months ago
Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Adam Stenavich made the comment to the media in training camp that Yosh Nijman has not transitioned smoothly to right tackle when they have tried it.

Thanks for that information, I've missed that.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Although, this might not be the "best five" individuals, I think it's the best group. And I believe the sum of the parts is more important than the individual parts.

LT - David Bakhtiari
LG - Elgton Jenkins
C - Josh Myers
RG - Jon Runyan Jr
RT - Yosh Nijman

I think those are the best 5... though not sure whom the best collective group is, especially if like posted above, Nijman is limited to mainly LT.

Hopefully Nijman can play either LG or RT... if not, he might have to be a backup as I don't think they're going to be benching Bakhtiari.

If Bakhtiari and/or Nijman aren't at RT, then I think you put Jenkins there.

So the following would be my preferred lineups to try...

1) Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Jenkins, Nijman
(yes you can make the argument for switching Runyan and Jenkins, but I'm trying to move the least amount and Runyan has always been on the left side and Jenkins has been working on the right side...)

2) Bakhtiari, Nijman, Myers, Runyan, Jenkins (everyone but Runyan stays on their same sides)

3) Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Newman, Jenkins

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 months ago
Originally Posted by: beast 

Thanks for that information, I've missed that.

I think those are the best 5... though not sure whom the best collective group is, especially if like posted above, Nijman is limited to mainly LT.

Hopefully Nijman can play either LG or RT... if not, he might have to be a backup as I don't think they're going to be benching Bakhtiari.

If Bakhtiari and/or Nijman aren't at RT, then I think you put Jenkins there.

So the following would be my preferred lineups to try...

1) Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Jenkins, Nijman
(yes you can make the argument for switching Runyan and Jenkins, but I'm trying to move the least amount and Runyan has always been on the left side and Jenkins has been working on the right side...)

2) Bakhtiari, Nijman, Myers, Runyan, Jenkins (everyone but Runyan stays on their same sides)

3) Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Newman, Jenkins

This is the one they will use until Toms pushes Newman out.
no signature
dfosterf
2 months ago
Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Jenkins, and Nijman, obviously left to right.

I cannot be convinced that Jenkins is a better right tackle than Nijman, and we all know he is a fantastic right guard. He needs to be playing right guard, imo.

So, find our right tackle, the rest is obvious. at least to me. If Nijman is taking reps on the 2nd team at left tackle, keep him on the 2nd team but taking reps at right tackle. The man played the position his senior year. so there is some real evidence that he is an ambidextrous ass-wiper in a left right tackle sense.
Since there is much evidence at least in my mind that this team is either slow or stubborn- I might submit both- I strongly suspect we aren't even going to try what again seems obvious to so many fans. Oh. and while they were test driving him at rt, was it Hanson next to him? I say that has to be factored in regarding his efficacy as a rt.
UserPostedImage

Zero2Cool
2 months ago
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Who should be the five OL for Packers now that we got Little David back?

LT - David Bakhtiari
LG - Elgton Jenkins
C - Josh Myers
RG - Jon Runyan Jr
RT - Yosh Nijman

I tried telling you people. You wouldn't listen to me. Elgton Jenkins is not a RT. Why not put him back at LG and then we have a dominate left side? Why not? WHY NOT DO THE OBVIOUSLY BEST THING FOR THE PACKERS?!?!?!??!

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 months ago
You got the guards reversed, so if you just go ahead and switch those, I'll listen. 😆 I'll call Mark up and get this whole thing straightened out, and promise to use Zero2Cool as a reference. We need to take this to the top, dammit. 😆
UserPostedImage

nerdmann
2 months ago
Let's give Nijman a series or two, take a look at him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
2 months ago

I cannot be convinced that Jenkins is a better right tackle than Nijman, and we all know he is a fantastic right guard. He needs to be playing right guard, imo. .

How do we know Jenkins is fantastic at RG? He's played LG, C and LT and this year played RT. I don't recall him playing RG.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 months ago
I should have said guard, but admittedly am simply bolstering my argument in that Jenkins is our most versatile lineman, I love Runyan right where he is, I think Jenkins helps a right tackle more than Runyan would. It is one less switcheroo, playing guard is more of a phone booth than a driveway, so interchangeability left to right for him seems the most logical of the options. Dude is a pro bowl guard. We need help on the right, we run to the right, Jenkins belongs on the right. Right?
UserPostedImage

Zero2Cool
2 months ago

I should have said guard, but admittedly am simply bolstering my argument in that Jenkins is our most versatile lineman, I love Runyan right where he is, I think Jenkins helps a right tackle more than Runyan would. It is one less switcheroo, playing guard is more of a phone booth than a driveway, so interchangeability left to right for him seems the most logical of the options. Dude is a pro bowl guard. We need help on the right, we run to the right, Jenkins belongs on the right. Right?

You're (potentially) weakening both Guards for zero net gain. You're not really appreciating how difficult it is moving from one side of the line to other. We already see Jenkins struggling on the right side. If Runyan struggles, then you use a TE to chip and plus that's Rodgers view so he can see it coming. You protect your blindside, period. I don't know if you're being obtuse, or facetious or what, but this isn't really complicated.

We know 69 can play LT.
We know 74 can play LG.
We know 71 can play C.

Make that solid because it protects the QB's blind side.

Runyan already played RG last season.
Nijman has played RT before (albeit in College).

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
2 months ago
Defenses don't necessarily attack the blind side if the right side is perceived as weak in pass defense. We got Bak on the left, and book on him is pretty much wall. I believe bak and Runyan make a great blindside protection pair, and I believe that Jenkins will shore up someone like Nijman on the right. Jenkins isn't much of a tackle though, I think we can agree on that. Moving one slot to the left seems the answer, trotting Nijman out to rt. That is hardly radical as far as Jenkins is concerned.
UserPostedImage

Zero2Cool
2 months ago

Defenses don't necessarily attack the blind side if the right side is perceived as weak in pass defense. We got Bak on the left, and book on him is pretty much wall. I believe bak and Runyan make a great blindside protection pair, and I believe that Jenkins will shore up someone like Nijman on the right. Jenkins isn't much of a tackle though, I think we can agree on that. Moving one slot to the left seems the answer, trotting Nijman out to rt. That is hardly radical as far as Jenkins is concerned.

I'm definitely in the boot of less shifting of players, the better. I just think Jenkins on right side is C grade but on left is A grade. I think the dropoff of moving someone like Runyan to the right side is going to be less impactful.

There is also that coach who said Yosh didn't do so hot at RT tackle so I dunno. I would just rather plug people in where we know they are stellar instead of continuing to put round pegs in square "holes".
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 months ago
We could also encourage the QB to get the ball out sooner, especially to the open guy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
dfosterf
2 months ago
Well, we all know they aren't going to do any of this until someone goes down with an injury, but it is something to bitch about on a Monday after a pretty hollow victory as victories go. I would definitely try either one of our lineups contrasted with what they (note "they"- see my post from a gazillion years ago regarding CORF, casting off reflected failure, vs BIRG, basking in reflected glory)
...are trotting out. I am of the firm belief that much of Aaron's failures to date can be traced directly to the right tackle position.
UserPostedImage