Discussion Board
Martha Careful
2022-06-26T20:40:53Z

Nevertheless, countless people will be clamoring for his return and/or consideration when a starter goes down.

He was horrible before he was benched, but parlayed his activism into relevance.
Cheesey
2022-06-27T05:08:04Z
You are so right, Martha.
I still don't know why any team would take him. Especially since he's nothing special as a QB.
That's my opinion, for what it's worth.
UserPostedImage
beast
2022-06-27T05:53:41Z
I got no insight on Kap, and I think he killed his return chances when he didn't go light it up in another league... (as well as when his now Wife verbal ranted against the Ravens owner, whom was trying to sign him after players talked him into it, only for his wife's rant to reverse that) and Kap is best in a certain style offense that has largely been unpopular since he became a FA.... which I've been surprised I haven't seen one professional article break down well (which the Raven offense would of been the closest thing in current schemes)

That being said... Warren Sapp has an extremely extremely sh!tty track record when it comes to breaking sports news... usually it's unfactual click bait from Sapp and has been wrong more than he has been right...

Sapp will tell you what he hears, but the sources he trusts usually have been garbage. I'd trust a random Twitter account that had decent history of being correct over Sapp.

Also as far as Kap goes, he wasn't amazing, but it's extremely hard to make a case that there were 64 QB better than him, when you had guys like Brett Hundley and other very crappy QBs keep earning #2 QB jobs for a while there.

But Kap was also absolutely stupid to opt out of that contract when he had all that heat coming down on him.

Kap has been blackballed, but back to the top, the decisions by he and his wife have hurt the situation even more... when you start attacking the owner that's considering taking a risk is stupid, and not becoming CFL, XFL, USFL, whatever leagues #1 QB for a couple of years also seriously hurts as they have no film on you.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2022-06-27T15:20:50Z
Great talent can make a team owner overlook a lot. But if you are not extremely talented, why would they put up with all the distractions and headache that he would cause?
Kap has a history of being more of a distraction then a great talent. Who needs that in your locker room?
It's fine that he has his own opinions. I have no problem with that. As long as he saves it for his own time, when he's not "working".
He caused most of his problems.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2022-06-27T15:42:50Z
I can't say I was ever enamored with the player and felt people were anointing him before he completed even a full season worth of games. He has a rocket for a arm and fast legs, but it takes more than that to be a QB in the NFL.

Some are quick to point out he QB'd a team in the Super Bowl. So did Trent Dilfer.

People who wanna say he was blackballed, give me a break. Look at DeShaun Watson and his contract. The difference here is Watson is a good thrower of the football and Kaepernick was not. I am not saying it's right, I'm saying if Kaepernick was as good as people want to project, he would have been at least one of 90. He wasn't, because he isn't.

The man cares more about activism than being a professional NFL player and for that I commend him. He sees there are bigger issues out there -- even if I don't see eye to eye with him, at least he's standing behind his convictions.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2022-06-27T19:30:36Z
There's a time and a place for everything. He could have used his position to further his activism. But at least in my opinion, he didn't use it wisely.
JMO of course.
To me, it made him look more like a attention whore then anything. Again, my opinion.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2022-06-28T12:01:56Z
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

There's a time and a place for everything. He could have used his position to further his activism. But at least in my opinion, he didn't use it wisely.
JMO of course.
To me, it made him look more like a attention whore then anything. Again, my opinion.

I'm fine with what he did because I understand why. It's a massive stage and you get a massive amount of attention. My issue is once he got that attention, what did he do? Did he say OK now that I have your attention, this why I did it and now let's talk. No, instead he said "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder." - Colin Kaepernick

I understand the harmless "protest" to get attention to the cause, but the fact he did nothing publicly and let everyone speak for him just didn't sit well with me.

It also showed he wasn't choosing to not show pride for the flag to elicit change, he was doing it for his own personal reasons. I don't know. I just feel if he wanted change, he would have garnered that attention and used the momentum that his kneeling created. I know he did a lot of things more privately to help the cause, but shit, he had the ears of millions upon millions and he just dropped the mic.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2022-06-28T18:24:40Z
Here's what bothers me.
All this "protest" because cops are supposedly killing innocent "people of color". When 99.9% of those people have committed crimes, the cops had to respond, and the criminals CHOSE to resist arrest, causing the police to have to use force to attempt to get the perp under control. In other words, the police were doing their job. A job that puts their lives on the line every day.
If Kaepernick really thought "Black lives matter", why hasn't he gone before the cameras and took all the black people that are killing other black people literally every day in every major city in this country to task? One person, who's own criminal action and running from cops ends up being the reason they end up dead gets treated as a "victim", and hundreds of deaths in a weekend of people of color murdering each other randomly gets ignored. I guess black lives only matter if a cop is involved.
The same goes for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. They only show up when they want to fan the fires of their racist minds.
Ignore all the obvious murders that don't fit your hate of white people and cops.
Yes, I know there are times where excessive force was used, and should be taken seriously and prosecuted as such. George Floyd is an example. The cop shouldn't have knelt on his neck for any longer than it took to get him under control. Let's not forget why it happened. Floyd had the choice to NOT try to pass a fake 20 dollar bill. Had he not done that, no cops called, and he's still alive. But he chose to break the law. Thus, the guy in the store called the police.
Second choice Floyd had, to comply with the police, or resist arrest. Comply, he has his day in court and is still alive. What did he do? Resist arrest. Like I said, the cop should have let up once he was cuffed
The "media" made it look like a Floyd was some angel, an innocent innocent bystander. Look at his record. Armed robbery, holding a couple in their home at gun point. He served 5 years for that. To me, 5 years for that is a crime. He should have got a lot more time.
That's my opinion.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2022-06-28T18:48:27Z

Here's what bothers me.
All this "protest" because cops are supposedly killing innocent "people of color". When 99.9% of those people have committed crimes, the cops had to respond, and the criminals CHOSE to resist arrest, causing the police to have to use force to attempt to get the perp under control. In other words, the police were doing their job. A job that puts their lives on the line every day.
If Kaepernick really thought "Black lives matter", why hasn't he gone before the cameras and took all the black people that are killing other black people literally every day in every major city in this country to task? One person, who's own criminal action and running from cops ends up being the reason they end up dead gets treated as a "victim", and hundreds of deaths in a weekend of people of color murdering each other randomly gets ignored. I guess black lives only matter if a cop is involved.
The same goes for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. They only show up when they want to fan the fires of their racist minds.
Ignore all the obvious murders that don't fit your hate of white people and cops.
Yes, I know there are times where excessive force was used, and should be taken seriously and prosecuted as such. George Floyd is an example. The cop shouldn't have knelt on his neck for any longer than it took to get him under control. Let's not forget why it happened. Floyd had the choice to NOT try to pass a fake 20 dollar bill. Had he not done that, no cops called, and he's still alive. But he chose to break the law. Thus, the guy in the store called the police.
Second choice Floyd had, to comply with the police, or resist arrest. Comply, he has his day in court and is still alive. What did he do? Resist arrest. Like I said, the cop should have let up once he was cuffed
The "media" made it look like a Floyd was some angel, an innocent innocent bystander. Look at his record. Armed robbery, holding a couple in their home at gun point. He served 5 years for that. To me, 5 years for that is a crime. He should have got a lot more time.
That's my opinion.

I hear what you're saying, but committing a crime does not mean you should lose your life. Plus, there is a thing called due process and that's impossible to attain at time of arrest. That being said, I've heard people of color say they teach their kids to fear cops. Well, you wonder why they react the way they do? They were ingrained to FEAR police, not respect them. So, fight or flight kicks in and you get a lot of crappy reactions that result in fatal incidents. Now the one in Minnesota, the officer was wrong in that one. Sure, we can say don't commit the crime, but I've been there, I've been falsely accused. I don't think I should lose my life for it. So, it really isn't that black and white to say "don't break the law". We have too many laws and if you doubt me, why does it take someone 4-8 years to become a lawyer to know all these laws?

The fella in Kenosha, Jacob or whatever, dude was wrong for resisting, but if the officer doesn't shoot to subdue that guy and he kills one of those kids, then we have outrage that police didn't do enough. Bottom line, officers are in no-win situations at times.

As for Floyd. I never once read anything that inferred he was an angel or innocent, nothing even remotely close. All I've read was he did something wrong and allegedly resisted arrest. I say allegedly because I didn't see that clip. Regardless, the officer had him subdued, could easily place handcuffs on him and if need be, leg restraints. They have this equipment with them. It wasn't used. Instead he kneeled on the guy for an excessive amount of time. While others did NOTHING.

We have a problem, but it is not color based.
UserPostedImage
Martha Careful
2022-06-28T21:50:34Z
I apologize for even bringing up the subject of Kaepernick. I didn’t know it would lead here.

I enjoy this site immensely, even when you boys make fun of me, because it takes my mind off all of the divisiveness and hate which seem to permeate every single political or economic debate in society today.
Cheesey
2022-06-28T22:15:31Z
Kevin, I agree that commiting a crime shouldn't cost you your life. And if a criminal complies with the police, they will get due process. If they resist, a cop has to make a split second decision. If he pauses, HE might be the one ending up dead. The idiot in Kenosha was warned over and over by the cops to surrender. They kept screaming at him to give himself up. They even tazed him, which had no effect. The video shows that. He got shot because he refused to give himself up.
And Floyd, I saw in TV a mural on a huge wall showing him with angel wings, and talking how good he was. No one is perfect, but trying to pass off how he was some kind of innocent victim and making cops out to be devils sickens me.
And Martha, don't be sorry to bring up the subject. Ignoring it doesn't solve anything. I've been called horrible names before for stating how I feel on this subject. Yet the person that called me those names didn't give any counter points to show how what I said wasn't true.
Just hate for me for saying it.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2022-06-29T14:43:50Z

Kevin, I agree that commiting a crime shouldn't cost you your life. And if a criminal complies with the police, they will get due process. If they resist, a cop has to make a split second decision. If he pauses, HE might be the one ending up dead. The idiot in Kenosha was warned over and over by the cops to surrender. They kept screaming at him to give himself up. They even tazed him, which had no effect. The video shows that. He got shot because he refused to give himself up.

And Floyd, I saw in TV a mural on a huge wall showing him with angel wings, and talking how good he was. No one is perfect, but trying to pass off how he was some kind of innocent victim and making cops out to be devils sickens me.

And Martha, don't be sorry to bring up the subject. Ignoring it doesn't solve anything. I've been called horrible names before for stating how I feel on this subject. Yet the person that called me those names didn't give any counter points to show how what I said wasn't true.
Just hate for me for saying it.

Floyd wasn't innocent, in my opinion, but also I don't feel I witnessed anything that merited his death.

And yes, officers have to make a decision in real time, not in hindsight and have true skin in the game. We seem to get blasted over and over with the very FEW bad apples and ignore the 99% that do their job well and kick ass serving us daily, and silently.

I see you mentioned calling names. I hope you don't think I'm calling you names or anything. I believe we see eye-to-eye on this for the most part. One thing that pisses me off is people talking that if an officer gets wounded or dies, well, that's part of the job. As if they are not fathers, not mothers, not sons, not daughters, not uncles, not aunts, not freaking human beings!! Yet, when someone resists arrest they are the victim of anything that happens afterward. One thing those viral videos have shown EVERYONE is that if you resist, sheet might go sideways real quick. I ain't saying it's right, just saying it might be prudent to obey them because there really is no positive outcome to resisting, innocent or not.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2022-06-29T14:44:47Z
Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

I apologize for even bringing up the subject of Kaepernick. I didn’t know it would lead here.

I enjoy this site immensely, even when you boys make fun of me, because it takes my mind off all of the divisiveness and hate which seem to permeate every single political or economic debate in society today.

No worries. I feel this conversation has been civil. If it goes sideways, well, I will have to triple your membership fees!!!
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2022-06-29T17:38:20Z
Kevin! I didn't mean you about the name calling! It was back when the Floyd thing happened, and I said pretty much what I said now. A member here called me a "piece of s**t". I don't remember who it was. But that was all they said.
And the cop that knelt on Floyd's neck deserves to be held accountable for Floyd's death. He should have stopped once Floyd was cuffed.
Like you said, 99% of the cops are great at their jobs, and are painted as bad because of the less then 1% of bad cops.
I heard someone say once, "if someone tries to break into your home, who are you going to call? The drug dealer down the street, or the police?"
The police are NOT the bad guys.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2022-06-29T18:38:59Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

No worries. I feel this conversation has been civil. If it goes sideways, well, I will have to triple your membership fees!!!

He's not kidding, Martha! He QUADRUPLED my membership fees when I once disagreed with him!
(Dang TIRANT!!!)
Uh oh......I bet he will raise my fees again!

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2022-06-29T18:49:57Z

Kevin! I didn't mean you about the name calling! It was back when the Floyd thing happened, and I said pretty much what I said now. A member here called me a "piece of s**t". I don't remember who it was. But that was all they said.
And the cop that knelt on Floyd's neck deserves to be held accountable for Floyd's death. He should have stopped once Floyd was cuffed.
Like you said, 99% of the cops are great at their jobs, and are painted as bad because of the less then 1% of bad cops.
I heard someone say once, "if someone tries to break into your home, who are you going to call? The drug dealer down the street, or the police?"
The police are NOT the bad guys.

I have no idea why anyone would call the drug dealer. I'm calling the police to let them know I'm gonna try killing whoever is in my house in the name of self defense. Well, IF necessary of course.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2022-06-29T18:54:34Z

He's not kidding, Martha! He QUADRUPLED my membership fees when I once disagreed with him!
(Dang TIRANT!!!)
Uh oh......I bet he will raise my fees again!

Your broke ass is so far behind, I'd have to take your kidney to even try breaking even!!
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2022-06-29T21:38:46Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Your broke ass is so far behind, I'd have to take your kidney to even try breaking even!!

My ass isn't broke! It's just cracked!🤪
UserPostedImage
beast
2022-07-05T09:03:38Z
Again, I 100% don't trust Sapp as a reporter...

Also to hit this from another angle, the Raiders already got David Carr as starter, and traded for the head coaches long term project QB in Jarrett Stidham, and signed Nick Mullens, whom arguably has been the best #3 QB in the NFL and started for the Browns almost beating the Raiders last year.

The Raiders don't exactly need another QB, unless they're sure that QB can beat out the head coaches long term pet project Jarrett Stidham for #2 QB.

So was giving Kap a tryout, simply a PR stunt post Gruden comments and maybe NFL stunt, where Goodell has been known to pressure teams for PR favors.

And yes I stand by my comments that Kap was blackballed, the comparison to DeShaun Watson is non-existent, as Watson is (or was when he lasted played), a truely elite QB. Kaepernick was a system QB and the system he would for best in, was out of fad when he became a FA, and has mostly stayed out of fad.

You can't argue that there are 15 QBs better then Watson when he lasted played. You could argue there were 25 QB better than Kap when he lasted played. They're not in the same ball park of talent.

That being said, there clearly were not 64 QBs better than Kap, just no owner wanted that drama for a guy that's clearly not a QB1. Also again, the system he would fit bet with was out of the NFL, except the Ravens, whom reportedly we're going to sign him, with Ray Lewis pushing for it, until Kap's GF or Wife, for whatever stupid read went to social media and started attacking the Ravens owner...

So yes Kap was blackballed, but I think it's fair to say, his GF/wife also caused some of that... the system he beat fit going out of fad caused some of that, and maybe most importantly, the media focusing so much on QBs and Kap's unclear QB1 status caused a hell lot of that, as teams don't want drama for a backup role, as we have also seen with Tim Tebow. Nor a starting role player like Punter Marquette King.

So it's the norm for teams to reject players whom create extra media noise that could be seen as distracting when the players isn't a clear star.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2022-07-05T12:28:14Z
Originally Posted by: beast 

So was giving Kap a tryout, simply a PR stunt post Gruden comments and maybe NFL stunt, where Goodell has been known to pressure teams for PR favors.

This is a good point I hadn't considered.

You can't argue that there are 15 QBs better then Watson when he lasted played. You could argue there were 25 QB better than Kap when he lasted played. They're not in the same ball park of talent.

Which is why no one is bringing Kaepernick on their team. Also, I would argue there were much more than 25 QB's I'd rather have quarterbacking my team than Kaepernick, again, I never saw much in him as a QB other than a rocket arm and damn good runner. He'd be a deft gimmick guy. He couldn't throw guys open, he could hit them when they broke free though.

That being said, there clearly were not 64 QBs better than Kap, just no owner wanted that drama for a guy that's clearly not a QB1. Also again, the system he would fit bet with was out of the NFL, except the Ravens, whom reportedly we're going to sign him, with Ray Lewis pushing for it, until Kap's GF or Wife, for whatever stupid read went to social media and started attacking the Ravens owner...

And what about Kaepernick not wanting to be backup and also the report/rumor about him wanting X amount and priced himself out? Watson is proof that if a player can help you win, he'll be signed.

So yes Kap was blackballed, but I think it's fair to say, his GF/wife also caused some of that... the system he beat fit going out of fad caused some of that, and maybe most importantly, the media focusing so much on QBs and Kap's unclear QB1 status caused a hell lot of that, as teams don't want drama for a backup role, as we have also seen with Tim Tebow. Nor a starting role player like Punter Marquette King.

I don't see how Kaepernick was blackballed, or I don't know the definition. Do I think teams wanted to bring him in to see what he could do? Yes. Do I think they chose not to because of his contract demands AND the pending circus? Yes. I don't think that's being blackballed, I think that's a matter of circumstances.

That being said, even though I think there were 64 QB's better than him back then, I was surprised he didn't land on someone's NINETY MAN roster. Then again, you sign him and then cut him, you're blasted and hated so really, Kaepernick did an admirable thing (regardless if you support it or not) by following his beliefs, it ultimately cost him his career because of the situation it put the team that would sign him in.

So it's the norm for teams to reject players whom create extra media noise that could be seen as distracting when the players isn't a clear star.

Yep, teams don't want a distraction that is not worth it. Basically comes to is the juice worth the squeeze? SOMEHOW, Watson is and Kaepernick is not.

UserPostedImage