Discussion Board
Cheesey
2021-02-13T22:46:23Z
Originally Posted by: porky88 

. Regardless of who our DC was going to be, we need to fix some personnel issues on that side of the ball.

This is true. No matter who you have driving the bus, it won’t roll well if all you have are flat tires.
The Packer brass need to FINALLY go “all in” and get the great players that make our defense elite. If they don’t, it will just be another wasted year. And Rodgers will ask for his release. Which I won’t blame him if the Packers don’t do it.
When they won super bowl 45, Rodgers only threw 28 touchdowns. This year, 48.
In 2010 they had an elite killer defense.
Back to back HOF QBs over 30 years and only 2 Lombardi trophies to show for it. NOT ACCEPTABLE!
As Ron Wolf said, “just a fart in the wind”.
UserPostedImage
bboystyle
2021-02-23T13:13:21Z
Originally Posted by: porky88 

Certainly, an underwhelming hire. However, Matt LaFleur himself was an underwhelming hire and all he has done was go 28-8 in two seasons. We'll see what happens. Regardless of who our DC was going to be, we need to fix some personnel issues on that side of the ball.

Barry doesnt have an Aaron Rodgers on defense.
blank
Zero2Cool
2021-02-23T13:19:32Z
Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

Barry doesnt have an Aaron Rodgers on defense.

Kenny Clark? Jaire Alexander? Za'Darius Smith? C'mon man!! 😝
UserPostedImage
beast
2021-02-26T00:04:18Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

As for defense in a topic about Aaron Jones (? - lol I love this place). We need to bolster our DL, which makes LB's better, which makes CB's better. Trying to land CB's is akin to fixing a symptom of the problem, rather than the root of the problem. And the root of the problem is the QB getting comfortable in the pocket. Make that QB uncomfortable and you can win a lot of games with ball hawking CB's.

Due to the right cap and limited resources, it's all related no matter how much you laugh.

Also, I believe some sports studies have suggested that your thinking is incorrect, that it all works front to back. As quick pass can get around around the defensive front quite easily if the CBs aren't good enough, and suggested CBs were the most valuable, before the pass rush because of this. If the DBs can make them hold it, Z, Clark and Gary will get there.

Just we're short on talented DBs.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2021-02-26T01:26:07Z
Originally Posted by: beast 

Due to the right cap and limited resources, it's all related no matter how much you laugh.

Also, I believe some sports studies have suggested that your thinking is incorrect, that it all works front to back. As quick pass can get around around the defensive front quite easily if the CBs aren't good enough, and suggested CBs were the most valuable, before the pass rush because of this. If the DBs can make them hold it, Z, Clark and Gary will get there.

Just we're short on talented DBs.

I've done studies. I've read studies. History supports a dominate line wins championships more than dominant CB's. You let a QB have time, they'll torch ya by dump offs or scrambling. That's why we hear about having to hit the QB. Rough that princess up! 😛
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2021-03-02T18:41:20Z

I've done studies. I've read studies. History supports a dominate line wins championships more than dominant CB's. You let a QB have time, they'll torch ya by dump offs or scrambling. That's why we hear about having to hit the QB. Rough that princess up! 😛

Looks like the new defensive coordinator and I aren't seeing eye to eye ...

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2021-03-03T13:19:40Z
Holy Crap. Joe Barry and Matt LaFleur interview time totaled 14 hours.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2021-06-15T17:45:47Z

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
2021-09-13T13:48:01Z
It didn't really matter who the Packers hired as defensive coordinator, there is always a group of negative folks out there. And they will beat that drum hard on how they didn't like the hire from the start.

After game one, I am not excited about the future. It is only game one though. I was hoping to see some press coverage and slamming WR at the line. Instead, we got more playing off and giving cushion to WR's. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but shit, slam a bitch and make him work for it.

UserPostedImage
beast
2021-09-13T14:34:25Z
This goes with my point of defending Pettine, it doesn't matter whom the play caller is, if they're dominating your players, then they're domination your players...

Fans have known about the DL needs improving (and why I was hoping for Watt), but the Packers have only added two 5th round picks in the last 5 years to the group.

Yes, other positions had holes too, and we needed to fill the IOL and CB holes too...

I don't know what their health status, but there is there are some interesting old DT names out there.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2021-09-13T14:42:55Z
If I recall, they consider DBs to be professionals and as such they give them the leeway to chose how they want to cover the WR down to down. I guess they forgot the King is afraid to press at the line and always plays "20 yards off" the receiver.

As to the defense as a whole, I thought they played horrible. They were out maned on the LOS and our ILBs were non existent, yet again. DBs take poor routes. I think they got confused as to who was to take which receiver when in zone.

Maybe it's a work in progress. I was totally and completely unimpressed. Then again there were a few plays where Winston had to hold the ball for a half hour before throwing it. Joe and Troy never mentioned that it was because the DBs were doing their job on those plays.
"Well, they might kill you, but they won’t eat you." Uncle Teddy
nerdmann
2021-09-13T14:58:05Z
This D got hung out to dry in the high heat conditions. Normally you want you all world QB to keep them off the field, but that was the opposite of what happened.

They forced 15 plays on both of those huge drives, don't forget that, altho it was obvious the Saints had no passing game.

D also held on some of those short yardage situations, like when the INT got called back on the phantom roughing penalty against Z.

It may take time for them to gel, we need to lean on the offense a lttle. If they're willing to show up. Cut King tho. Fuck that guy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
all_about_da_packers
2021-09-13T15:35:35Z
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

This D got hung out to dry in the high heat conditions. Normally you want you all world QB to keep them off the field, but that was the opposite of what happened.

They forced 15 plays on both of those huge drives, don't forget that, altho it was obvious the Saints had no passing game.

D also held on some of those short yardage situations, like when the INT got called back on the phantom roughing penalty against Z.

It may take time for them to gel, we need to lean on the offense a lttle. If they're willing to show up. Cut King tho. Fuck that guy.

D got hung out to dry? Forcing 15 plays and still not getting off the field is a positive now? Dude, we did not watch the same game.

Our front 7 (excluding Rashan Gary) got absolutely demolished on just about every play. Our DBs were running into each other, and most of the game finger pointing after the play like Dom Capers was back as DC. Our CBs decided to consistently play 7-8 yards off the WR. How many times exactly did we blitz when it was clear our pass-rush was pretty much non-existent and Winston had all day to throw?

Our offense deserves blame. But after a full off-season, training camp and pre-season to get reps, our defense was so bad that I'm still not sure what exactly Joe Barry's plan was AND our execution was pathetic.

Except for Jaire Alexander. The only time we actually got off the field on a third-down was when Winston threw at Jaire on the first series. Mad love for Jaire - dude is so, so good even when everyone around him sucks beyond all words.

The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
nerdmann
2021-09-13T16:18:00Z
Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

D got hung out to dry? Forcing 15 plays and still not getting off the field is a positive now? Dude, we did not watch the same game.

Our front 7 (excluding Rashan Gary) got absolutely demolished on just about every play. Our DBs were running into each other, and most of the game finger pointing after the play like Dom Capers was back as DC. Our CBs decided to consistently play 7-8 yards off the WR. How many times exactly did we blitz when it was clear our pass-rush was pretty much non-existent and Winston had all day to throw?

Our offense deserves blame. But after a full off-season, training camp and pre-season to get reps, our defense was so bad that I'm still not sure what exactly Joe Barry's plan was AND our execution was pathetic.

Except for Jaire Alexander. The only time we actually got off the field on a third-down was when Winston threw at Jaire on the first series. Mad love for Jaire - dude is so, so good even when everyone around him sucks beyond all words.

Thing is, we wanted them to have to throw, they have no WR.

But they were always gonna take some time, we knew that coming in. You can't leave your biggest guys on the field in 100 degrees. They're gonna wear down fast.

warhawk
2021-09-13T20:42:44Z
Hearing Caper's name struck a cord. Back to no gap discipline and overrunning QB when rushing allowing him to take off. Remember all that? Bottom line we got beat at the LOS on both offense and defense.
Remember hearing how their DB's were sticking to our WR's like glue? That's because their DL was handing or OL their asses and knew Rodgers wasn't going to burn them. On the other side of the ball our Dline had few "wins". When they did get pressure on Winston they consistently gave him a wide open gap to escape.
This crap about "flying to the ball" sounds great but if you don't do it with discipline then all it is is something that sounds good but looks like crap.
As far as playing in the Florida heat, well, you get to sit on the sidelines with those blowers throwing out cold air when you get the opposing team to 4th down.
No The big guys on both side of the ball own this one. You don't have to look past how poorly they all played to know who to put this loss on. We are not a .500 team if our O and D lines play this badly.
"The train is leaving the station."
nerdmann
2021-09-13T21:59:31Z
To me, it's not that Barry was second choice or that he sucked shit in both previous opportunities.

Thing is, he's running someone else's system. He needs to show the creativity to make it his own.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2021-09-13T22:51:48Z
Nerd noted :
Quote:

To me, it's not that Barry was second choice or that he sucked shit in both previous opportunities.

Thing is, he's running someone else's system. He needs to show the creativity to make it his own.

The scary version of what we saw yesterday...this WAS his creativity...kind of like a Dr. Frankenstein like defense...slow, poorly conceived and deployed, and easily confused.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Zero2Cool
2021-09-14T12:25:16Z
I did read a few different places saying that the one lone bright spot on the Packers defense was the tackling was improved. The issue mentioned was Packers getting close enough to make a tackle.
UserPostedImage
beast
2021-09-14T12:31:23Z

I did read a few different places saying that the one lone bright spot on the Packers defense was the tackling was improved. The issue mentioned was Packers getting close enough to make a tackle.

Yeah I believe LT Elgton Jenkins is tied for 8th on the team with two tackles, despite not playing STs or defense. Give him credit for the outstanding effort!
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2021-10-17T22:24:52Z
Guys,

Mea culpa, I was ready to run this guy out of town....

But to be fair, at this point in the season, we have to give the guy high grades.

After a disastrous game against New Orleans, our defense has turned it around. Granted we have not played Buffalo, the Cardinals, or the Chiefs, or other top offenses, but these guys have played exemplary since week 1.

Today, for most of the game:
  • we were without our starting corners
  • we were without our best edge rusher
  • we were without our best edge contain guy
  • we were without one of our starting safeties
  • we are playing new guys at ILB
And they did a helluva job, especially after the first drive.

Do we still have coverage and contains screw ups? Yes

Do I wish they didn't happen?...we all do

But looking behind the stats to the strategy, he seems to be pressing the right buttons. He has creatively run line stunts (Clark's last sack), mixed in blitzes, and played soft when appropriate, like the end of the Bears game.

I tend to by very critical and expect great things from every player every play, but that is not realistic.

Realistically, I like what I have bee seeing from these guys and hope it continues through this very tough stretch ahead.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
nerdmann
2021-10-17T23:01:33Z
Not to jinx him, but he seems to be getting more than the sum of the parts.

It's hard to say for sure, because the defense gets hung out to dry, plus because of all the injuries. But they definitely step up, they're getting pressure, getting turnovers, keeping us in games, occasionally saving our butts.