Zero2Cool
3 years ago

Jim Leonhard didn't want to become the Packers defensive coordinator and the team has reportedly moved on to a deal with another candidate. Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com reports that Joe Barry will become the team's defensive coordinator. Barry was set to join Brandon Staley's staff with the Chargers as the linebackers coach/passing game coordinator after [more]

Continue Reading @ Josh Alper 

Josh Alper wrote:

I'm not sure about this hire. I don't know anything about him. What ya got?
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago
His two previous DC outings were not good....but people grow, learn and change.

Nevertheless, if this is the choice, I am underwhelmed.....

but I was underwhelmed with LaFleur, and it has worked out great.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Mucky Tundra
3 years ago
At first glance, this is not very promising. Only silver linings I see is that Detroit was historically bad and Washington has been dysfunctional under Synders ownership (such as Synder leaving vanilla ice cream on one DCs desk to show displeasure with the vanilla scheme he was running). Also, this is probably the most talented D he's taken over.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
3 years ago

Then in 2007, he was hired as the Lions defensive coordinator. The Lions owned a 7-9 record in 2007 while in 2008, they went winless. Both seasons, the defense led by Barry was ranked last in the league for both points and yards allowed.

During the 2015 and 2016 seasons, he served as Washington’s defensive coordinator. Barry’s defense was ranked 28th in yards allowed for both seasons while it was a slightly better 17th and 19th in points allowed respectively.

In Washington, Barry ran an odd front system with varied coverages. According to Pro Football Focus, he used Cover 3 just over 22 percent of the time, Cover 1 just under 20 percent of the time, Cover 2 under 10 percent of the time and Cover 4 under four percent of the time. Barry also ran a blitz rate of 28 percent which was 19th in the NFL at the time.

Barry’s most recent defensive coordinator tenure shows that he brings variety to the position, an opportunity to change the status quo in Las Vegas.

Additionally, Barry runs a 3-4 defense unlike the 4-3 defense the Raiders have run. Gruden prefers the 4-3 and we’ll see if that has any impact on the decision making.

As for his latest job, since 2017, Barry has served as the assistant head coach/linebackers coach for the Rams.

While Barry has experience in the league, his track record running defense is mediocre at best. Just like Kris Richard, he may be well suited as an assistant coach instead of the defensive coordinator.

Joe Barry: Resume 

Sounds like he is a creative thinker, whi's never had talent to work with. Moderate success doing it with smoke and mirrors.

He was passed over a couple times with the Rams, but also had the title of "Assistant Head Coach," so he would seem to be well regarded.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
3 years ago

At first glance, this is not very promising. Only silver linings I see is that Detroit was historically bad and Washington has been dysfunctional under Synders ownership (such as Synder leaving vanilla ice cream on one DCs desk to show displeasure with the vanilla scheme he was running). Also, this is probably the most talented D he's taken over.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Agreed. It's this dude's chance to show what he's got. Matt made the call based upon the man himself, not raw stats.

Hopefully, Matt is right about him.

3-4, shouldn't have to restock players too much. Let's see what he can do.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
3 years ago
Maybe they just want someone to blame when the defense sucks again this coming season.
(Just kidding!)🤪
UserPostedImage
dhazer
3 years ago

Maybe they just want someone to blame when the defense sucks again this coming season.
(Just kidding!)🤪

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I was actually going to say they just need someone that will kee the defense sucking till Rodgers leaves and then they will get the defense better to help out Love :)

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
3 years ago
As an outsider I would think GB is a premiere franchise and should get the pick of the litter. With the 3 finalists, it doesn't seem that way. Barry's box score isn't very impressive but there has to be something about him that Gute and MLF like. I guess we have to trust the process.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
3 years ago
Looking at his track record, this seems like a huge downgrade. Time will tell though.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
3 years ago
I’m not happy with this hire
But we will see how it turns out.
That’s all we can do is watch and see 🤔
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (1h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (3h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (3h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (3h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (4h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (4h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (15h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (16h) : damn those vikings
beast (17h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (17h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (17h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (17h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.