Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
2020-11-23T15:48:06Z
Mike Florio wrote:

The Packers have built a record of 7-3, which is good. In each of their three losses, the Packers have blown leads of seven or more points. Which is not good. Against the Buccaneers, a 10-0 lead became a 38-10 blowout loss. Against the Vikings, leads of 7-0 and 14-7 didn't last. On Sunday against [more]

Continue Reading @ Mike Florio 

ALL GAS, NO FUCKING BRAKES!!
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
2020-11-23T19:27:23Z
Chris Collinsworth ssid it best a few weeks ago.
" The Packers have a defense which is built for shootouts"
Which I took as meaning, they really aren't going too stop the other teams offense, unless that team makes a mistake.
All the pressure is on The Packer offense to keep scoring.
Third quarter last night Colts 14 play, 6 minute scoring drive.
Packers 3 and out.
Colts 10 play 5+ minute drive
Packers 3 and out
Colts pretty much run out the 3rd quarter and The score is tied 28-28.
Packers had the ball for SIX PLAYS the 3rd quarter!
I read where they tried to trade for a D-lineman from The Texans, but the price was too high.
Looking at the rest of the schedule, Tennesse is the only team that could be a problem.
Not a whole lot that can be done at this point of the year, only hope the guys get and stay healthy and The turnovers start coming for The Packer defense.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-11-23T23:00:20Z
When I first read the topic, I thought it was "blown coverages" not blown leads.

I bet we lead the league in both.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
nyrpack
2020-11-23T23:50:43Z
Always said if it wasn’t for the defense Aaron would have another 2-3 rings , we will be ok going forward !!
jimmy b.
Cheesey
2020-11-24T04:33:40Z
Originally Posted by: nyrpack 

Always said if it wasn’t for the defense Aaron would have another 2-3 rings , we will be ok going forward !!

That, and the refs some games.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
2020-11-24T05:38:27Z
GB's Defense is like water from a tap, sometimes it is hot and then suddenly it goes cold. When that happens for real, the problem is most often that the "tank" is too small. For GB that translates to too small of a defensive personal talent "tank". The coaching is like the heating element, it/they can only work with the "size" of the talent "tank" they are provided.

Gutekunst has done an above average job so far, but like many of us he does not like to admit to making mistakes. His greatest mistake so far has been Rashan Gary. He gets my praise for O-Line personnel as well as for CBs. Love is still a mystery for me, but drafting 1st round picks has not delivered any plug/play ready starters yet. For me a 1st round pick should be ready or near ready to play at the NFL level.

It's too late in the game to replace any D-Linemen or Inside Linebackers, but I would make those my greatest priority following the end of this season. In fact scouting College Linebackers would be a high priority for me were I GB's GM.

A cook is only as good as the ingredients they are supplied with !
UserPostedImage
beast
2020-11-24T05:56:46Z
Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Chris Collinsworth ssid it best a few weeks ago.
" The Packers have a defense which is built for shootouts"

I that that means they're set up to pass rush, and suck at defensive the run.

The Packers offense has absolutely sucked in the 3rd quarter it seems, Rodgers passing rating is less than. 57% in the 3rd. While in the 1st and 4th it's 72% or over.

And interesting, Rodgers has scored more TDs in the 2nd quarter, than all the other quarters COMBINED!

Packers are getting out coached/played with adjustment at halftime?

UserPostedImage
Smokey
2020-11-24T06:31:16Z
Originally Posted by: beast 

The Packers offense has absolutely sucked in the 3rd quarter it seems, Rodgers passing rating is less than. 57% in the 3rd. While in the 1st and 4th it's 72% or over.

And interesting, Rodgers has scored more TDs in the 2nd quarter, than all the other quarters COMBINED!

Except for the TB game, GB has had no real problems scoring points, they have however had problems with allowing opponents to score too many points. Why ?

It's not poor coaching, but rather poor defensive personnel. The offense, riding on Aaron Rodgers shoulders, is not the problem. GB's been weak when playing equal/or better quality offenses. Not much will change until a greater focus is placed on the ILB and D-Line personnel. That means the 2021 Draft and 2021 Free Agents.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
2020-11-24T06:32:03Z

Except for the TB game, GB has had no real problems scoring points, they have however had problems with allowing opponents to score too many points. Why ?

It's not poor coaching, but rather poor defensive personnel. The offense, riding on Aaron Rodgers shoulders, is not the problem. GB's been weak when playing equal/or better quality offenses. Not much will change until a greater focus is placed on the ILB and D-Line personnel. That means the 2021 Draft and 2021 Free Agents.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-11-24T08:45:32Z
Originally Posted by: Smokey 

It's not poor coaching, but rather poor defensive personnel.

HMMMM...I like the first observation, the second I am not so sure.

Numerous first round draft choices and three big free agent signings would lead me to suspect it may not be the personnel.

There are three possibilities as to why the defense isn't good enough:
  1. The players aren't good enough
  2. The coaches aren't good enough
  3. Both 1 and 2
As the expression goes in baseball, its easier to change the manager than change 9 guys on the diamond.

Smokey
2020-11-24T09:13:14Z
Originally Posted by: KRK 

HMMMM...I like the first observation, the second I am not so sure.

Numerous first round draft choices and three big free agent signings would lead me to suspect it may not be the personnel.

There are three possibilities as to why the defense isn't good enough:

1. The players aren't good enough
  2. The coaches aren't good enough
  3. Both 1 and 2
As the expression goes in baseball, its easier to change the manager than change 9 guys on the diamond.

I don't believe that every defensive position needs change. ILB and the D-Line are not stopping the run. As for the Defensive Coach/s, possibly a change at one of the asst. positions, but let's not blame the cook for the ingredients he is given to work with. I would be thrilled if GB's next 1st round draft pick is an ILB or NT.
UserPostedImage
beast
2020-11-24T17:44:10Z

That's assuming 1st round pick and big free agents were good selections and wise investments.

Just because someone is selected high, or given a lot of money does not automatic mean they're good. As I think you could claim a number of draft picks aren't living up to their selection.

Also DT was arguably the biggest need and was never addressed, despite the scheme leaving the position more on an island, which means they need to be able to hold their own.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2020-11-24T21:36:27Z

The third quarter thing is real. Thst needs to be addressed.

What I see is turnovers. Without four turnovers, we dominate the Colts game.

Here's another thing. Aaron is throwing off platform again. Earlier in the season it seemed like he was getting with the program. Now he's back to throwing fade away jumpers off his back foot. And his accuracy has decreased.

We all thought it was just the wind in those Lambeau games. But if he hits MVS in stride on that 4th quarter play, that's a TD and we win. Dude had to come back for it, which allowed the defense to converge.

Aaron has thrown a number if INTs recently. Step into your throws dude.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-11-24T22:34:08Z

That's assuming 1st round pick and big free agents were good selections and wise investments.

If not, then Gutey may be worse that TT. I would like to think that they would hit on 2 of 3 first rounders and most all of the FA as they are more proven commodity
Quote:

Also DT was arguably the biggest need and was never addressed, despite the scheme leaving the position more on an island, which means they need to be able to hold their own.

AMEN

KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-11-26T22:45:00Z
Z2C posted in fan shout:
Quote:

Passer rating allowed in coverage for #Packers defense this season: Man Coverage: 83.2 (3rd) Zone Coverage: 104.3 (28th)

This speaks to the lack of aggression in play calling.

If our guys played more man-to-man, they would be closer to the line, more available for a run support, and be more available in blitz packages, in addition to probably playing better pass coverage, at least for the statistics
nerdmann
2020-11-26T23:46:12Z

Z2C posted in fan shout:This speaks to the lack of aggression in play calling.

If our guys played more man-to-man, they would be closer to the line, more available for a run support, and be more available in blitz packages, in addition to probably playing better pass coverage, at least for the statistics

Tampa seemed to have a tell. Vikings just ran the ball, while our offense did nothing whatsoever to force them to pass.

The defense is mediocre stopping the run. That's why we play better with a lead.

FACT. The Colts had less than 4 yards per rushing attempt. Iirc.

FACT. The D got a stop after Shephard's fumble and on that last drive, albeit assisted by all those holding calls.

MVS fumbled in FG range. Thst's not on the D.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-11-27T19:43:45Z
I guess we will see how we do against the 32nd ranked rush offense in the league Sunday night.

If the Bears run the ball on offense, will we continue to blame our offense?