Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Wrap-up: Packers 27, Eagles 20 
September, 12, 2010

By Matt Mosley

What it means: The Kevin Kolb era is off to a rough start -- especially when he gets knocked out of the game with a concussion. There's no shame in losing to the Green Bay Packers, but the Eagles did it in awful fashion. Don't let that fourth-quarter comeback fool you. That was a miserable showing for the Eagles, and they came away with what appears to be a devastating injury. They lose a valuable player if Leonard Weaver is out for the season with a knee injury.

Tomorrow's talker: You know everyone will be talking about quarterback Michael Vick's performance Monday. He passed for 175 yards and ran for 103. He made one really poor decision not to run the ball into the end zone, but he certainly gave the offense some much-needed punch. Kolb had a rough first half with only 24 passing yards, but I thought he was handcuffed by his head coach. It almost felt like Andy Reid was being too tentative with his young quarterback. If you're going to trade your franchise quarterback to a division rival, you better be ready to trust his replacement.

What I liked: Nate Allen had some rough moments but he had his first interception in the second half, which gave the Eagles some hope. Trent Cole and Juqua Parker combined for three sacks on Aaron Rodgers. But the downside to that is that Brandon Graham was really quite in his debt.

Big revelation: The Eagles are about to find out how much depth they have. With Jamaal Jackson leaving the game with an elbow injury, reserve center Mike McGlynn may get a chance to start next week against the Lions. And it's unlikely we'll see middle linebacker Stewart Bradley (concussion).

What's next: Philly has some soul searching to do. They may catch a break if Matthew Stafford (shoulder) can't play, but the Lions won't be a gimme. Again, this couldn't have gone much worse.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Wrap-up: Packers 27, Eagles 20

September, 12, 2010

By Kevin Seifert

Let's hit some quick thoughts on the Green Bay Packers' Week 1 victory.

What it means: The Packers are tied with the Chicago Bears atop the NFC North. Just as important, they collected a key conference win. Those always come in handy when it comes time for tiebreakers and playoff seeding. Seriously, it's never too early to consider that.

Hero: Who said linebacker Clay Matthews needed training camp? After a hamstring injury cost him a month of practice, Matthews rose to the occasion in the fourth quarter Sunday. Appearing gassed as Philadelphia quarterback Michael Vick ran all over the field, Matthews nevertheless made two huge plays on the Eagles' final drive. His sack on second down put the Eagles in a third-and-13 situation, and his plunge through the Eagles' offensive line stopped Vick on a quarterback draw on fourth down with 1:54 remaining. Inside linebacker Nick Barnett also got nice push on the play. Overall, Matthews was credited with seven tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble. Nice return.

Unsung hero: After much discussion last week, Jordy Nelson averaged 31 yards on five kickoff returns. His 51-yarder set up the Packers' final touchdown, a 32-yard pass from Aaron Rodgers to Greg Jennings.

Tomorrow's talker: Many of you will rightly be celebrating Matthews' return. But I think it's at least worth wondering if Vick's 103-yard rushing performance was a fluke based on a unique set of individual skills or if the Packers are going to be vulnerable to open-field running this season. I tend to side with the former, even though I'm sure the Packers prepared for how the Eagles' offense might change if Vick replaced starter Kevin Kolb. It was pretty clear the Packers' defense was tired at the end of the game, but ultimately they had enough energy to stop the Eagles' comeback. Just something to keep in your back pocket.

What's next: The Packers will host the Buffalo Bills in their home opener at Lambeau Field next Sunday.

Yes, the Packers picked up a conference win, but the Bears picked up a divisional win, which is even more important.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
13 years ago

Yes, the Packers picked up a conference win, but the Bears picked up a divisional win, which is even more important.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Correction, the Bears were gifted a win. Didn't we have a touchdown called back last year in the spaceship in similar fashion?
UserPostedImage
BangTheDrum
13 years ago
The Bears suck
UserPostedImage
Ba da da, Ba dadada GO PACK GO
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Yes, indeed we did.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
13 years ago
That's a bad rule. Two feet down with possession should be all you need. If you can reach the ball over the goaline without having any of your body in and it is a touchdown, this rule that Calvin got screwed with today, needs to go.
UserPostedImage
BangTheDrum
13 years ago

That's a bad rule. Two feet down with possession should be all you need. If you can reach the ball over the goaline without having any of your body in and it is a touchdown, this rule that Calvin got screwed with today, needs to go.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Yeah, if this rule were to make any sense then breaking the plane shouldnt mean anything, if a running back reaches out at the goalline and breaks the plane then fumbles... tough shit it should be a fumble... under that kind of wonky rule anyway.
UserPostedImage
Ba da da, Ba dadada GO PACK GO
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Precisely. I don't understand why, as long as the ballcarrier has established possession, all that is required for a touchdown is the minutest bit of the football must break the plane, yet if the ball is caught in the end zone, possession must be maintained all the way into the turf -- and then, apparently, a "second action" (whatever that means) must be initiated.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago
I think the rule is alright. The ref using the rule on that play isn't smart. He caught it, two feet in. Held it up as he was falling, and put it on the ground as he got up. The getting up part is after the play not during the play... it's a TD... or at least it should be.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
13 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

They were gifted a win at home against the hapless Lions. We won on the road against the Eagles. If it comes down to tiebreakers for the division crown or a wild card spot, winning a home game against the Lions will not be one of the differentiating games.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / bboystyle

24-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.