Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/102314639.html 

Green Bay Before returning to practice Monday, it had been 29 days since Clay Matthews stood at his left outside linebacker position for the Green Bay Packers.

And five practices before that, Matthews was playing right outside linebacker.

So here it is, less than a week before the Green Bay Packers open the regular season at the Philadelphia Eagles and Matthews wasn't fretting at all about making his game debut at a position he has played for less than a week.

"I don't think it's going to be much of an issue," Matthews said after his first full practice since the intrasquad scrimmage Aug. 6.

During that scrimmage, Matthews suffered a pulled hamstring in the same area in which he experienced one last summer and the Packers were extremely cautious in bringing him back. Matthew started taking part in walk-throughs last week and he has been attending regular linebacker meetings, but he didn't play in a single exhibition game and wore pads for only nine practices this camp.

Joining Matthews back on the practice field was fellow outside linebacker Brad Jones, who has been out since Aug. 20 with a shoulder injury. He was sidelined four days at the start of camp because of a back injury and has taken part in 13 practices and one exhibition game at his new position on the right side.

Having all of his linebackers together in their proper place was of great relief to coach Mike McCarthy even though the workout was not conducted in pads. The goal all along was to bring both Matthews and Jones along slowly enough so that they would be physically strong for the opener and the plan seems to have worked.

"We're going to go full tilt with those guys unless I am given information to think otherwise," McCarthy said. "They were cleared today, and with Tuesday being their day off and treatments this afternoon and treatments tomorrow, I think we're going to be OK. I want to see them go through the padded work (Wednesday). So I feel good about it."

Both players said they got through the workout without any problems. There wasn't any hitting going on, but at this point it is as much about synchronizing movements with the other players as it is breaking down and making a tackle.

After playing the left side last year, Jones has to get used to coordinating his movements with right end Cullen Jenkins and vice versa. Matthews is now playing behind left end Ryan Pickett and dealing more often with a tight end in his face.

"We've all played the game," said Jenkins, who took part only in the walk-through because of a pulled calf muscle. "Everyone knows what's expected of them. We'd like to have more time to feel each other out. But it's still football. We all know how to play."

Matthews' return is critical because in his rookie season he led the team in sacks with 10 and by the end of the season demanded more attention from the opponent. On the right side, he and Jenkins were often doubled together when the offensive line slid its protection their way, but now the two are split apart.

If the Packers are going to protect their rookie starting strong safety and most likely rookie nickel back, they're going to have to put consistent heat on the quarterback. Matthews is a big part of that and scoffs at the notion it will be harder to match those numbers in his second year.

"No way," Matthews said. "Nope, uh-uh. Why would it be tougher? I've gotten a year better. I'm more confident. Why would it be tougher?"

The logical answer is that moving over to the left side puts Matthews on the same side as the tight end in most "right-handed" offenses. The tight end can double him or chip him on the way out to running a pass route, meaning he'll have fewer one-on-one matchups with the tackle than he had on the right side.

Matthews responded by saying it's assumed he'll be static in the left outside position when the truth is that Capers plans to move him around to find the best matchup when the defense is facing a passing down.

"(The) scheme is designed to put the player in a one-on-one situation, and the player's responsibility is to win the one-on-one situation," McCarthy said. "Whether it is right side or left side, we'll continue to give him the work. I think (assistant coach) Kevin Greene does an excellent job, particularly in the fundamentals and the technique of the position.

"Clay is a gifted young man. He brings a lot to the table in terms of his physical gifts and the way he plays the game, so I am fully confident he'll be very productive over there."

How well acclimated he'll be to playing on the left side won't be determined until Sunday. Even McCarthy admits there's nothing simple about changing positions and the lost practice time due to injury doesn't help matters. His hope is that Matthews' football IQ and athletic ability will take over where repetition doesn't.

Jones, meanwhile, will play for awhile with a shoulder harness that restricts him a little. But he tested the harness last week and practiced without any problems Monday. He still has to pass the full-pads exam Wednesday, but said he was off on the right foot.

"It was great to be out there," Jones said. "It felt like I never left. Nothing really changed."

What needs to change this year compared to a year ago is the defense applying more pressure on the quarterback. Visions of Minnesota quarterback Brett Favre standing in the pocket for 5 seconds are vivid among players and coaches alike.

Though the Packers ranked tied for 11th with 35 sacks, 15 came against lowly Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis and Cleveland. When they really needed to get to the quarterback - against Minnesota, Pittsburgh Arizona (playoffs) - the Packers had a mere six sacks.

Something has to change this year, starting with the Eagles.

"I think you'll see throughout the season I'll be moving around and coming from every possible gap they allow us," Matthews said. "It's important I show that I'm not a one-track guy or one-side guy. Hopefully, we can mix it up and create some mismatches and throw a wrinkle into our game plans."

For the sake of discussion, I don't think Clay is going to get anything more than 6 - 8 sacks from the left side. You?
UserPostedImage
Blank402
13 years ago
He'll get 6-8 playing on the left side and another 6-8 playing on the right.
blank
Dulak
13 years ago

"Blank402" wrote:

hehe ya I am hoping capers uses matthews like he did woodson - to the best of his ability to mess with the opposing offense.

like to see him line up all over up the middle to the left the right etc ... be cool. Also want to see zombo out there; the dude looked decent in preseason.

wondering how pickett will do as a end compared to jolly
lolleren
13 years ago
I agree that he wont duplicate his sack number from the left side alone, but capers will move him around, and with the snaps given to Chillar at OLB, he could even move inside if that is where the favorable match up is when we are in nickel.

My guess is a 8-12 sack season.
blank
British
13 years ago
I wonder if the move is as much to do with him being stouter against the run than Jones. Therefore he's been switched to the left opposite the TE.

Also, it prevents the OL rolling coverage to stop both Jenkins and CM3. Now they will be coming from opposite sides most of the time.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago
I would say between 10-12. With Brad Jones still being a little raw and our D-line/Rotation changing with suspension of Jolly, I think the onus will be on Clay Matthews to generate a lot of our pass rush. If he is always lined up on the left side, I think it adds an aura of predictability to our defense.

I have a feeling Dom Capers is going to be a lot more exotic with his blitzing this year, and Matthews will play a focal role in that.
UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
Greg C.
13 years ago
This article introduces the weird idea that it is harder to get sacks from the left side of the line than it is from the right side. I would like to see some stats on this, because it seems to me that, if anything, more sacks come from the left side, probably because the tackle on that side is not as good at pass blocking as the one who is protecting the QB's blind side.

Matthews should get more sacks this year than he did last year, because last year he didn't even start until a few games into the season. And if opposing teams want to double team him with their TE, fine. That's one less receiver to worry about.
blank
Rockmolder
13 years ago

This article introduces the weird idea that it is harder to get sacks from the left side of the line than it is from the right side. I would like to see some stats on this, because it seems to me that, if anything, more sacks come from the left side, probably because the tackle on that side is not as good at pass blocking as the one who is protecting the QB's blind side.

Matthews should get more sacks this year than he did last year, because last year he didn't even start until a few games into the season. And if opposing teams want to double team him with their TE, fine. That's one less receiver to worry about.

"Greg C." wrote:

I guess that it all revolves around the blind side. LTs are better against the pass because they have to be. If you rush from the left side, the QB should see you comgin and check it down. If you come from the right side, all the QB has going for him is a mental clock, hoping that his LT can hold off the rusher for that long. If not, you'll be flat on your face.
13 years ago

"Blank402" wrote:

fucking lol. that was an awesome response.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

gbguy20
13 years ago
can someone explain to me why he was moved? i guess i missed this when it happened and I don't see why we are changing something that worked so well?
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (1h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (6h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (6h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (22h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (23h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
45m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.