porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
The regular season is right around the corner, but Green Bay has tough decisions already in front of them. It starts with decision the 53-man roster. Here's my take after watching the Packers this preseason....

QBs
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Flynn

Outlook: No surprises though Graham Harrell made a late run for a roster spot. I suspect hell land on the practice squad. Matt Flynns emergence this preseason means Green Bay is unlikely to seek veteran help.

RBs
Ryan Grant
Brandon Jackson
Kregg Lumpkin

Outlook: The Packers will keep three RBs, but dont be surprised if they look outside the organization for their No. 3 player. The fact James Starks wasnt put on IR suggests they arent as high on Lumpkin as they once were.

FBs
John Kuhn
Quinn Johnson

Outlook:
Kuhn is guaranteed a spot because of his versatility. The decision between Korey Hall and Johnson is going to be very difficult. I think it should be Johnson because hes the best lead blocking FB the Packers have had in along time. I think Green Bay is too deep to go with three FBs again.

WRs
Greg Jennings
Donald Driver
James Jones
Jordy Nelson
Brett Swain

Outlook: These five have consistently been the top five at their position. Jason Cherry could be a sixth option, but I suspect hell land on the practice squad.

TEs
Jermichael Finley
Tom Crabtree
Spencer Havner
Andrew Quarless

Outlook: Could the Packers keep five TEs? Sure, but they probably wont. I think the final spot is down to Donald Lee and Quarless. While Lee is the veteran presence youd like this group to have, he doesnt do anything particularly better that Crabtree and Quarless cant do themselves.

OL
Chad Clifton
Mark Tauscher
Bryan Bulaga
T.J. Lang
Marshall Newhouse
Daryn Colledge
Josh Sitton
Jason Spitz
Scott Wells

Outlook: Newhouse and Dietrich-Smith are too good not to put on the roster. Unfortunately, only one can make it. Im going with Newhouse because of versatility and long-term potential. Plus, keeping three centers is almost a waste. Youll only activate two anyways. Nick McDonald should make the practice squad.

DL

Cullen Jenkins
B.J. Raji
Ryan Pickett
Mike Neal
Anthony Toribio
Justin Harrell
C.J. Wilson

Outlook:
If GB opts to go with six defensive lineman like I think they could, then you definitely have to consider keeping the more reliable Wilson or Jarius Wynn over Harrell. However, Cullen Jenkins injury means they may opt to keep a seventh guy, which means Harrell makes the team.

LBs
Clay Matthews
Brad Jones
Frank Zombo
Brady Poppinga
A.J. Hawk
Nick Barnett
Desmond Bishop
Brandon Chiller

Outlook:
Robert Francois could make a run at a spot if they keep nine, but I think these eight have been entrenched for some time now.

DBs
Charles Woodson
Tramon Williams
Sam Shields
Brandon Underwood
Patrick Lee
Nick Collins
Morgan Burnett
Derrick Martin
Charlie Peprah
Will Blackmon

Outlook: The final decision came down to Lee and Jarrett Bush. I went with Lee, but the probability that both dont make the team is also very high. Green Bay may need to look outside the organization for help here. Will Blackmons versatility allows the Pack to keep only five CBs instead of six.

STs
Mason Crosby
Tim Masthay
Brett Goode

Outlook:
Masthay has edged out Chris Bryan for the punting job.
[url=Pro_News/aid=143.html]full article[/url].
RainX
13 years ago
I think 7 d-linemen is a strong possibility, especially if they keep Harrell around. Toribio could probably be put on the practice squad again this season since he's still eligible for it with Pickett being the primary backup there behind Raji.
blank
British
13 years ago

Outlook: The Packers will keep three RBs, but dont be surprised if they look outside the organization for their No. 3 player. The fact James Starks wasnt put on IR suggests they arent as high on Lumpkin as they once were.

I don't see why this is the case. Putting Starks on the PUP list instead of the IR is common sense - it still frees up a roster spot and it allows the coaches to have another look at him midseason. If he still isn't ready then IR him. There is no point putting him on IR if he's elligible for the PUP.

Also, I think they keep 6 CBs. With only Woodson and Tramon reliable I think they want more cover than just Underwood (injured) Shields (raw) and Lee (unproven). Bush would be #6 which may also help STs but I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy playing for us currently on another team's roster.

Personally I'd also ditch Swain, although I can see the coaches keeping him around. I think there are better football players that have been cut from this list than him. With Finley and Quarless (and two other TEs) we have plenty of receiving options. Swain would probably account for 10 catches all season on offense. Any time he is on the field it means better players are sitting on the bench. We can stick two WRs on the PS and activate them if we pick up and injury or two.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Personally I'd also ditch Swain, although I can see the coaches keeping him around. I think there are better football players that have been cut from this list than him. With Finley and Quarless (and two other TEs) we have plenty of receiving options. Swain would probably account for 10 catches all season on offense. Any time he is on the field it means better players are sitting on the bench. We can stick two WRs on the PS and activate them if we pick up and injury or two.

"British" wrote:

This is exactly how I see it, but you articulated my opinion far better than I could have.
UserPostedImage
dhpackr
13 years ago
i'm hoping jarrett bush is finally cut.

justin harrell will make the team simply b/c there is no dept @ his position.

james starks is a big guy with speed and good hands catching the ball, if he could just get healthy he could be a force @ rb.

I like hall over johnson b/c hall is more athletic and can catch the ball out of the backfield.

I think Mike McCarthy likes fb that are athletic, and can do more than just block.

I feel hall is more athletic, a better receiver, and is better on special teams than quinn
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
dfosterf
13 years ago
I wish we threw out of the backfield more than we do, especially to a fullback.

I love it when a FB is rumblin' and bumblin' downfield, mowin' over those girly-men DB's.

I like the pre-season that Kuhn had. I'm thrilled that he is a virtual lock to make our team. That was in question here, prior to training camp.

I don't much care which of the other two (Hall or Johnson) make the final 53. They are both good, imo.

I just don't want 3 again. I thought that was stupid.
evad04
13 years ago
I want Quinn Johnson. Dude can't catch. Isn't versatile. Doesn't matter. He lays tha PANCAKES!!!
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
beast
13 years ago
IMO

cut Lumpkin, move Kuhn to RB, keep Hall

Quarless isn't ready yet just like Finley wasn't ready his rookie season but he's shown to much potential to cut IMO. No where has proven they can play H-back but Lee and Crabtree doesn't know how to run routes or read defensive yet, Havner isn't a very good blocker. Lee is the only complete TE that is NFL ready other than Finley. I say take a spot a spot from WR or the defense and keep 5. Unless Lee get something very good in a trade offer.

Newhouse vs. Dietrich-Smith is a tough one... I'm leaning slightly to Dietrich-Smith as he can't be put on the PS and Newhouse can and Dietrich-Smith has played in games looked alright. But Newhouse does have more upside but isn't ready to play right away. Also there is always the option to keep them both and trade Spitz IF someone offer good trade value for him (but my guess is that's not going to happen).

I haven't been impressed with Toribio (cut him for the 5th TE IMO) and I would think Pickett could step back into NT at any time to give Raji a breather and I don't think I'd keep Wynn over Harrell even with only 6.

I think the team could trade Bishop if the right offer came along (but unlikely)
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Good post Porky.

I do think we look outside for DB help as our drop off after our top 3 CBs (Harris, Woody, and T Williams) is significant, especially with how bad Harris' injury is. Although I do think there's a good chance Harris will be 100% when he gets back as his work ethic is sick. He's like Driver in that respect.

I like us keeping 5 WRs as you never know when you need that 5th WR. Heck, sometimes it's simply a WR gets the wind knocked out of him and needs to sit out a series. How many times have you heard of an offensive player telling the reporter that he waited to get off the field to throw up as he didn't want the opposing team to see him throw up?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

"British" wrote:

I don't see why this is the case. Putting Starks on the PUP list instead of the IR is common sense - it still frees up a roster spot and it allows the coaches to have another look at him midseason. If he still isn't ready then IR him. There is no point putting him on IR if he's elligible for the PUP.

Also, I think they keep 6 CBs. With only Woodson and Tramon reliable I think they want more cover than just Underwood (injured) Shields (raw) and Lee (unproven). Bush would be #6 which may also help STs but I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy playing for us currently on another team's roster.

Putting Starks on IR tells me that they feel good about their No. 3 RB. Putting him on PUP tells me that they think like you're thinking. They can activate him and then cut their No. 3 RB. In this case, that's Lumpkin. It's more or less what they think about Lumpkin than Starks. If they really liked Lumpkin, Starks would be on IR.

Swain is probably hanging around because of special teams. I think he's been working with the first unit all the way through camp. But if Jason Cherry proves to be a viable return man, Swain is most certainly not a lock to make the team.

I don't think people understand just how bad Patrick Lee has been this camp. I thought about going with Jarrett Bush over him not only because of special teams, but because of cover skills too. There seems to be a problem there.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (18h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (19h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.