Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100815/PKR01/100815025/Underwood-Lee-boost-comfort-level-at-corner 

Going into training camp, there was reason to question whether the Green Bay Packers had enough quality depth to hold up at cornerback through a 16-game season.

Starter Al Harris was coming off major knee surgery, wouldnt be available for the start of practice, and still might not be ready to play early in the season.

Meanwhile, the two cornerbacks behind Harris, Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams were young players with thin resumes: Brandon Underwood and Pat Lee. Underwood, a seventh-round draft pick in 2009, showed natural cover ability as a rookie but also a glaring lack of maturity and professionalism; Lee, a second-round draft pick in 2008, had played in only five games in two seasons because of injuries.

In the offseason, General Manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy decided what degree to count on both when they chose not to add a cornerback in free agency or the draft. Now two weeks into training camp, the Packers are feeling more at ease about that decision. Underwood and Lee have played decent football while splitting snaps as the No. 3 cornerback, and its looking like the team is much better off than last year, when special-teamer Jarrett Bush was a liability at the end of the season.

I think (Underwood and Lee) are both on track, said Joe Whitt, the Packers cornerbacks coach. The competition is good there, theyre making plays, making sure theyre not giving up balls down the field. Thats my No. 1 concern, that we dont give up explosives. Theyre learning.

Underwood appears to have the edge for the nickel job right now based on training camp, where hes consistently worked ahead of Lee as the first cornerback off the bench.

In Saturday nights exhibition opener, Cleveland threw at Underwood several times, but he held up in a performance that included intercepting a badly underthrown pass by backup quarterback Colt McCoy.

On the Browns first drive of the night, which went for a touchdown, Underwood gave up back-to-back completions of seven and 12 yards the latter on a fourth-and-one play on which he had no help short or long and was beaten inside on a quick slant pattern by receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

In the second quarter, Underwood was targeted at least three more times. He had decent bracket coverage underneath when safety Nick Collins helped over top and knocked away a potential 25-yard touchdown pass to Josh Cribbs. Later, Underwood closed quickly to drop receiver Jake Allen for a three-yard gain on a short pass. And in the final minute of the first half, he intercepted when McCoy made a poor decision and even worse throw into double coverage in the end zone.

The Packers have liked Underwoods quick reactions as a cover man since last year in training camp. The issue with him hasnt been ability, but dependability. As a rookie he had repeated problems showing up late for meetings, and this offseason he had a well-publicized incident in Lake Delton involving two women that could lead to him facing charges, possibly of solicitation.

Dom Capers, the Packers defensive coordinator, said Underwood has been on time for all meetings so far this year.

Those are the kind of things you have to earn over a period of time, to prove youre an accountable and responsible guy, Capers said. I think hes light years ahead of where he was. I think he understands more now that this is a business, that you arent in college anymore, and theres a lot of people that are depending on him.

In order to depend on somebody they have to earn that through their own accountability and through their job, and to this point in time he hasnt had any issues. Hes been working hard, hes a smart guy, hes a confident guy.

Underwood had a history of such problems before coming to Green Bay. He finished his college career at Cincinnati after getting kicked out of Ohio States team because of academic issues and repeated tardiness for meetings.

Ill just say, I was rookie last year, which is no excuse, Underwood said last week. I had to understand the professionalism, I wasnt as professional as I could have or should have been my first year. Just to still be here is a blessing, the coaches see something in me.

Lees problems in the NFL have been more mundane. He was hurt most of his two previous seasons in the league with back and knee injuries that have sidelined him for 27 of a possible 32 games, including all of last year.

His reactions arent as quick as Underwoods, but Lee has a better ability to read and anticipate routes.

Every once in a while (Lee) will have a lapse, but hes got some instincts, Capers said. One of the things hes good at is playing the ball up the field. If they go up on him and hes got his back to the ball, he can locate and find the ball, he does a nice job of that. Some guys, no matter how fast they are, their ball reaction when they have their back is turned, its not there. Ive had high draft picks like that.

While the Packers are feeling better about the two early in camp, the true test will come when Underwood and Lee are called on during the regular season.

Attrition will force them onto the field at some point, and considering Harris hasnt begun practicing yet, that could mean one of the two will be playing half or more of the regular-season opener as part of the Packers nickel package.

At the end of the day, Underwood said, our body of work through the course of the season will answer that (test).

UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago

Underwood, a seventh-round draft pick in 2009.

No, he wasn't.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Underwood, a seventh-round draft pick in 2009.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

No, he wasn't.

Sixth, Seventh, bah, details smetails. lol
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
Underwood looked good against the Browns. I didn't notice Lee much, one way or another. Tramon Williams was the one who was getting burned the most, it seemed, but we know he's a pretty good player, so I'm not worried about him.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago
I watched the game again last night and noticed that Lee played off his man and gave up an easy eight-yard completion to set up the Browns' game-winning field goal. He was so passive on that play that I have to wonder if the coaches told him to allow that catch so the game would not go into overtime.
blank
13 years ago
I've only watched a little into the 2nd quarter so far but that seemed to be the theme of the night for pass coverage. Keep everything in front of you.
UserPostedImage
cooolbeans08
13 years ago
This was one of my main thoughts after the game. I'd be comfortable with Underwood and Lee starting for us right now. I like the future we have at CB.
blank
Rockmolder
13 years ago

This was one of my main thoughts after the game. I'd be comfortable with Underwood and Lee starting for us right now. I like the future we have at CB.

"cooolbeans08" wrote:

Starting? Like nr. 1 and 2? Because, at this point, especially with our pass rush, I'd be slightly worried. Lol.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
If they were our starters in '10, fat chance we win the SB unless other Playoff teams have secondary injury problems as well. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but Harris and Woody are elite, Williams is acceptable, and after that we drop off significantly. If we're going to win Playoff games in '10, we better blitz effectively.

Now Underwood and Lee may be studs in the near future and I sincerely hope they are (as long as they're still Packers of course).

And just to slightly disagree with Whitt, I'd be willing to give up an occasional explosive for an important INT, especially when you get one run back. See Darren Sharper for example.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
TengoJuego
13 years ago

Underwood looked good against the Browns. I didn't notice Lee much, one way or another. Tramon Williams was the one who was getting burned the most, it seemed, but we know he's a pretty good player, so I'm not worried about him.

"Greg C." wrote:

Of what I did see of the game, Tramon was giving his receiver a huge cushion. CHtv even highlighted it on youtube.

[youtube]te8n2Gw6C9M[/youtube]
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.