Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Chargers GM not afraid to play hardball 
“The only thing that ever matters — ever — is the San Diego Chargers“

by Alex Marvez | Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com.
UserPostedImage

A.J. Smith doesnt just draw a line in the sand during stalled contract negotiations.

He paints a more graphic picture than any other NFL general manager.

The Chargers expect to open training camp Friday with three key disgruntled veterans wide receiver Vincent Jackson, left tackle Marcus McNeill and linebacker Shawne Merriman and their unsigned first-round draft pick (running back Ryan Mathews) failing to report. No team, especially a bona fide Super Bowl contender, will have as many missing key pieces.

Nor is there a more bombastic front-office executive willing to play such hardball until the situation is resolved.

Even though his stance could cause locker-room derision, not to mention hurt San Diegos on-field product, Smith says he has no concerns about potentially ruffling feathers.

The only way I can make a glorious, happy, fun-loving locker room is that every player and agent with every demand on every amount of money or length of (contract) is given it, Smith said Wednesday inside his office at Chargers headquarters. Then everyone is happy and I dont have to worry about a trickle-down.

Smith then says the following with emphasis: Its not going to happen.

Not that Smith wants Jackson, McNeill, Merriman or Mathews as unhappy campers. He praised the quartets talent during an hour-long interview with FOXSports.com. He also didnt try to downplay the impact of their prolonged absence. But if they are going to join the Chargers without a lengthy holdout, all four players will be doing so under San Diegos financial terms.

The only thing that ever matters ever is the San Diego Chargers. Us, Smith said. If you dont like the way youre treated me, your head coach, your teammates you can get out on your own accord when your contract is up. Thats what you control.

If youre a rookie and have a five-year or four-year (deal), and youre miserable along the way, if I want to extend your contract, say youre not interested. Clearly, I know the window. Youre going to get on the plane and go to another team. Plot your departure. Its business. If I feel that, I will start making moves ahead of time.

An example came in the 2009 draft. San Diego used a first-round pick on Larry English as a potential replacement for Merriman, whose agent was told by Smith this offseason that there were no plans to extend his contract at this point in time. Set to become an unrestricted free agent in 2011, Merriman told the San Diego Union-Tribune on Thursday that he wont report for the start of camp. Merriman said he wants assurances about his immediate future with the team he was the subject of offseason trade talks and his place on the defense.

The situation with Jackson and McNeill is even uglier. Agents for both also were told that long-term deals werent immediately in the offing. They responded by refusing to sign the one-year, $3.2 million contracts tendered by the Chargers as restricted free agents. In turn, Smith lowered their tender offers in June to roughly $600,000 apiece. This led to threats that Jackson and McNeill wouldnt report until the 10th week of the season.

Im not going to ignore that when I found out Vincent and Marcus have withheld services for a considerable length of time its a disappointment like, Oh my goodness, Smith said. Here are two guys who were part of the excitement that are missing. Now, there has to be a step-up (from others). Im used to that, and I get over it very quickly. Im still excited. Were only talking about three players.

Mathews is the fourth, but Smith isnt concerned about his early camp absence even though San Diego doesnt have another workhorse rusher on the roster after releasing LaDainian Tomlinson in February. Rookie running backs can make an immediate impact even if some preseason practice time is missed. Besides, Smith knows he ultimately holds all the leverage when it comes to signing draft choices.

Said Smith: If there happens to be a problem for him, Ill spell it out: Heres your money. Heres your years. We think its a great contract. It is our contract. If you dont like it, you can sit there and decide whats best for you. But let me cut to the chase a little more and tell you how this will progress on our end. We will have a contract offer that will go to a certain point in time. After the third preseason game, youre going to have a new one. After the fourth one, youre going to have a new one. After the first (regular-season) game, youre going to have a new one. If you dont like all of that, you can go back in the draft.

Thats it. You know the odds of people who go back in the draft. So eventually, somewhere along the line, he comes in.

This approach wont win Smith a GM of the Year award from the agent community with which he has long bickered. I would have called the representatives for Merriman, Jackson, McNeill and Mathews asking for comment, but didnt bother. I wasnt being lazy. It just wouldnt have mattered beyond adding another layer of rhetoric. And in Smiths world, it wouldnt have mattered one iota. Listening to his diatribe toward agents, I almost expected Smith to borrow a line from politicians and say, We refuse to negotiate with terrorists.

The agents have the power with the players, said Smith, who has 24 years of pro scouting and front-office experience. They prey on the weak. They fracture from within if they can a coach, an owner and a GM. We dont have those problems here.

Smith isnt completely inflexible. Although he was embroiled in verbal sparring with Tom Condon during the end of Tomlinsons time in San Diego, Smith still struck a deal Wednesday with one of the agents other clients, Antonio Gates.

The agreement, which makes Gates the highest-paid tight end in NFL history, was in the works for some time. But the announcements timing does send a message to the other 15 pending unrestricted free agents who are reporting to camp on time: The Chargers do take care of some of their own.

A lot of people on this team are on the last year of their contract, Smith said. The players and the agents are fine. How can that be? First, theyve got no control over it. But their attitudes were going to come back and play and help the Chargers win and can hopefully stay if they want to or my profession is on the line we have a lot of that. But we tend to focus in the media on the negative because its sensationalizing.

Should the Chargers falter in 2010, the media focus will shift to whether the 61-year-old Smith is the right man for the job. The Chargers have captured four consecutive AFC West titles under his watch, a remarkable total considering the franchise won the same amount in 24 seasons before Smith took the reins in 2003. He has built the team almost exclusively through the draft and wisely signs some quality picks well before their rookie contracts expire. But the Chargers have yet to reach a Super Bowl in the Smith era. The latest disappointment came last season when a 13-3 Chargers squad was upset in the playoffs by the visiting New York Jets.

Smith has long cited the Indianapolis Colts as a model franchise. While they dont always make the Super Bowl, the Colts have at least had a shot by making the playoffs for eight consecutive years.

Smith, though, admits there is a local backlash building from those who dont believe San Diego will ever have what it takes to reach the big one.

The attitude is, These guys are chokers. Nobody cares anymore, he said. I have to back everyone up. I hear ya. Were frustrated, too. Well try and get better each year. Thats what we do.

One thing Smith wont do is change his modus operandi when dealing with San Diegos holdouts.

Im the GM of the Chargers. Youre the agent and theres the player. Its a three-way thing, Smith said. If people come together, we all are happy.

At least, for now, that isnt the case in what has the potential to become the NFLs most toxic training camp environment.

If we ever lose Ted Thompson, I want this man as our GM. He's my kind of GM.

I like Alex Marvez's writing style too. He's one of the vanishingly few journalists who still writes with substantial paragraphs, instead of making every sentence its own paragraph. His articles are readable.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
Chargers won't make the playoffs if those 4 miss significant time. Not that they could do it anyway without LaDainian.

But it's good that someone stands firm with these primadonna players.
This is a placeholder
djcubez
13 years ago

But it's good that someone stands firm with these primadonna players.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Agreed. I love the fact that because Jackson balked at 3.2 million he's now at 600,000. Come on man, you can't play one year for THREE MILLION FRICKIN DOLLARS?! To hell with him.
nyrpack
13 years ago
thats the way he sounds now, but lets see him if he changes his tune when guys dont show up later in camp !!
jimmy b.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Chargers left tackle Tra Thomas retires 
By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer
6 hours, 59 minutes ago

SAN DIEGO (AP)Left tackle Tra Thomas(notes) retired on Saturday, leaving the San Diego Chargers woefully thin at a crucial position due to Marcus McNeills(notes) holdout.

The 35-year-old Thomas was signed as insurance in early June when it became apparent that McNeill, a Pro Bowler in 2006-07, could stage a prolonged holdout. But Thomas, a 12-year veteran, was hurt early in training camp and had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

Thomas was a first-round draft pick of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1998. He went to the Pro Bowl after the 2001, 02 and 04 seasons. He played in five NFC championship games and one Super Bowl with the Eagles.

He signed with Jacksonville last year and played in just eight games, starting one.

McNeill is unhappy that he hasnt been given a long-term deal. Instead, the Chargers tendered the restricted free agent a one-year deal for $3,168,000. Because he didnt sign by June 15, the Chargers were entitled to slash his pay to 110 percent of his 2009 base salary, or approximately $630,000.

General manager A.J. Smith placed McNeill and San Diegos other holdout, Pro Bowl wide receiver Vincent Jackson(notes), on the roster exempt list Friday. That means theyll be suspended for three games once they sign their contract tenders.

Smith didnt return a call seeking comment Saturday.

For Saturday nights exhibition game against Dallas, the Chargers were down to second-year pro Brandyn Dombrowski(notes) and undrafted rookie Nick Richmond at left tackle, the spot that protects quarterback Philip Rivers(notes) blind side. Second-year pro Tyronne Green(notes) has played at left tackle, but sat out Saturday night with an ankle injury.

Jackson also is unhappy he hasnt gotten a long-term deal. The Chargers recently gave the Seattle Seahawks permission to talk to Jacksons agents, but the players price tag apparently remains too high.

Jackson, coming off his second straight 1,000-yard season, already has been suspended by the NFL for the first three games for violating the leagues substance abuse policy. He pleaded guilty in February to his second DUI since 2006.

I love that Smith has the balls to put his holdouts on the roster exempt list. I find it extremely satisfying that they'll be suspended for three games once they return. If more GMs had the courage to play hardball, maybe we'd have fewer players sitting out.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
AJ Smith knows that every other team in his division is so crappy that he doesn't even need his star players. I mean the Chiefs and Raiders, nuff said. The Broncos, well, after replacing Cutler-Marshall-Scheffler with Orton-Gaffney-Quinn, I don't have a lot of faith in their offense.
This is a placeholder
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

Chargers left tackle Tra Thomas retires 
By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer
6 hours, 59 minutes ago

SAN DIEGO (AP)Left tackle Tra Thomas(notes) retired on Saturday, leaving the San Diego Chargers woefully thin at a crucial position due to Marcus McNeills(notes) holdout.

The 35-year-old Thomas was signed as insurance in early June when it became apparent that McNeill, a Pro Bowler in 2006-07, could stage a prolonged holdout. But Thomas, a 12-year veteran, was hurt early in training camp and had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

Thomas was a first-round draft pick of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1998. He went to the Pro Bowl after the 2001, 02 and 04 seasons. He played in five NFC championship games and one Super Bowl with the Eagles.

He signed with Jacksonville last year and played in just eight games, starting one.

McNeill is unhappy that he hasnt been given a long-term deal. Instead, the Chargers tendered the restricted free agent a one-year deal for $3,168,000. Because he didnt sign by June 15, the Chargers were entitled to slash his pay to 110 percent of his 2009 base salary, or approximately $630,000.

General manager A.J. Smith placed McNeill and San Diegos other holdout, Pro Bowl wide receiver Vincent Jackson(notes), on the roster exempt list Friday. That means theyll be suspended for three games once they sign their contract tenders.

Smith didnt return a call seeking comment Saturday.

For Saturday nights exhibition game against Dallas, the Chargers were down to second-year pro Brandyn Dombrowski(notes) and undrafted rookie Nick Richmond at left tackle, the spot that protects quarterback Philip Rivers(notes) blind side. Second-year pro Tyronne Green(notes) has played at left tackle, but sat out Saturday night with an ankle injury.

Jackson also is unhappy he hasnt gotten a long-term deal. The Chargers recently gave the Seattle Seahawks permission to talk to Jacksons agents, but the players price tag apparently remains too high.

Jackson, coming off his second straight 1,000-yard season, already has been suspended by the NFL for the first three games for violating the leagues substance abuse policy. He pleaded guilty in February to his second DUI since 2006.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I love that Smith has the balls to put his holdouts on the roster exempt list. I find it extremely satisfying that they'll be suspended for three games once they return. If more GMs had the courage to play hardball, maybe we'd have fewer players sitting out.

Management lackey.

:)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
If that's a crack directed at me, I'll take pride in the label.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
IMO "management" is a cuss word.

Frankly, I could care less what happens in San Diego.

But IMO management-by-hardball sucks as a general approach. It may work from time to time. It may even be necessary occasionally.

But the way to get an organization to work is almost never to treat employees as just tools, which seems to be this AJ Smith's mode of operation. Better to treat too many workers as essential than not enough.

Frankly, I distrust immensely those who would treat stars like shit. Not because I give a crap about the star. But if a Smith or a Shanahan plays games with stars, I'd really hate to be a non-star in his employ.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (20h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (20h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.