Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Have at It: Your top pass rushers 
July, 30, 2010

By Kevin Seifert

Perhaps you're a bit out of practice with training camp just underway, but let's just say most of you had trouble playing nicely during our first Have at It of the 2010 season. Man, I didn't know that an argument about the title of a chart could consume so many pages of comments. Wow.

The topic was whether anyone would overtake the Minnesota Vikings as the NFC North's top pass rushing team. Those of you who chose to respond generally reflected what Detlev Dimmitry wrote: "[T]he Lions, Bears and Packers have been closing the gap, but they're still trailing the Vikings with Jared Allen, Kevin Williams and Pat Williams on that line (and Ray Edwards getting a free ride with those three)."

Suamico72 placed two Vikings players among his top four pass rushers in the division: Julius Peppers, Allen, Clay Matthews, Edwards and Cullen Jenkins.

Duncan926 suggested that the Bears' sack total will rise most on a percentage basis, although the combination of Ndamukong Suh and Kyle Vanden Bosch could be "pretty effective" for the Lions.

On a relative scale, the Packers' pass rush didn't get much love. Cheezeheadthrunthru, true to that name, did offer an interesting alternative take:

The Packers have a good chance to significantly improve their pass rush/sack numbers. First, you have Clay Matthews coming off a monster rookie year. He now has experience and an offseason to get stronger and develop into his position more.

Second, Brad Jones has gained experience and has had the off-season knowing that he's the top contender for the starting LOLB. He can improve on his four sacks from last season, especially now that most teams will be game-planning for Matthews.

Third, B.J. Raji is back at his natural position, nose tackle. The position he performed so dangerously at BC. [KS: Actually, he played tackle in a 4-3, but we'll let you keep going. You're on a roll.] Coming into the season injury-free with no contract distractions will hopefully help him boost his numbers.

Fourth, Charles Woodson, reigning DPOY, is always all over the field and he's no stranger when it comes to helping opposing quarterbacks face the ground.

Wild-Card, Dom Capers. He's unpredictable and he's now had a full year of the team's 3-4 system instituted. Watch for him to use some more creative play-calling to get to less-mobile quarterbacks like Brett Favre this year.

My take? As a team, I think the Vikings still have the best group of pass rushers. The most interesting, if not as relevant, battle will be to determine which individual wins the NFC North sack title. Allen has had 14.5 sacks in each of his first two seasons with the Vikings. Peppers had the same total in 2008 and finished last season with 10.5. If both stay healthy, it should prove to be one of the more intriguing individual competitions of the season.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
Rock has gone from, in a few short years.. to a young man just getting his feet wet in the game to a very knowledgeable fan.

Albeit I think some are over valuing Matthews production as a rookie at this point.. he was very green as a pass rusher that really had two weapons at his disposal.. speed and determination. Teams will start to neutralize that via chips and sets to address the speed... Clay will need to expand his arsenal to continue to develop as a legitimate pass rusher in this league.

I like Clay's chances to continue to develop and become what people claim him to be.. but he is far from a top notch pass rusher based on his rookie season and his game at this point which lacks enough depth to keep a tackle off balance snap in and out.. IMO.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I like Clay, but I think he's being over rated. I see 6-8 sacks out of him this year and it seems like some are expecting another 10 or more out of him.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

Rock has gone from, in a few short years.. to a young man just getting his feet wet in the game to a very knowledgeable fan.

Albeit I think some are over valuing Matthews production as a rookie at this point.. he was very green as a pass rusher that really had two weapons at his disposal.. speed and determination. Teams will start to neutralize that via chips and sets to address the speed... Clay will need to expand his arsenal to continue to develop as a legitimate pass rusher in this league.

I like Clay's chances to continue to develop and become what people claim him to be.. but he is far from a top notch pass rusher based on his rookie season and his game at this point which lacks enough depth to keep a tackle off balance snap in and out.. IMO.

"pack93z" wrote:

Rocky really seems to put a lot of time in studying all the players and is indeed very knowledgeable.

As for Clay, I have to agree with yours and Zero's assessment. I am thrilled by his first year but things have a way of evening out as teams prepare.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
13 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

Rocky really seems to put a lot of time in studying all the players and is indeed very knowledgeable.

As for Clay, I have to agree with yours and Zero's assessment. I am thrilled by his first year but things have a way of evening out as teams prepare.

"pack93z" wrote:

I understand what you are saying and tend to agree. I think he is a bit over rated. But really, were teams not preparing for him the last third of the season or so? I would have to look at the stats, but I'm pretty sure he was still generating sacks throughout last part of the year (with the playoff game being an exception, I think).

What I'm saying is that he may be a bit over rated, but I think some may also be under rating the guy, especially if our pressure from other areas increases.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

"doddpower" wrote:

"wpr" wrote:

I understand what you are saying and tend to agree. I think he is a bit over rated. But really, were teams not preparing for him the last third of the season or so? I would have to look at the stats, but I'm pretty sure he was still generating sacks throughout last part of the year (with the playoff game being an exception, I think).

What I'm saying is that he may be a bit over rated, but I think some may also be under rating the guy, especially if our pressure from other areas increases.

"pack93z" wrote:

I don't think other teams devoted as much to preparing for him the last part of the year like they will this year. And if one team has success everyone will follow suit and defend against him until he adjusts.

Like the others, I am not complaining or criticizing him I just think he got a bit of a pass for being an unknown factor. That won't happen this year.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
13 years ago
Wtg Detlev!
doddpower
13 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

"doddpower" wrote:

"wpr" wrote:

I don't think other teams devoted as much to preparing for him the last part of the year like they will this year. And if one team has success everyone will follow suit and defend against him until he adjusts.

Like the others, I am not complaining or criticizing him I just think he got a bit of a pass for being an unknown factor. That won't happen this year.

"pack93z" wrote:

I just don't know if I agree with that. I imagine Matthews was our opponents number one focus as far as protecting the quarterback for the last 4-5 games minimum, yet he still had success. I don't believe teams were only putting say, 70% effort into game planning for him at the end of the season and this year it will be 95%. I think it has already been 95% and he was still was solid.

Also, all signs point to him, as well as others on our defense, improving, specifically Jones. Perhaps you could say there is enough film on Matthews to neutralize his game, and while I'm sure that's true to some extent, I don't believe its entirely true. He was a raw rookie and will only get better during the next few years.

Like I said, over rated by some, under rated by others.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

"doddpower" wrote:

"wpr" wrote:

"doddpower" wrote:

"wpr" wrote:

I just don't know if I agree with that. I imagine Matthews was our opponents number one focus as far as protecting the quarterback for the last 4-5 games minimum, yet he still had success. I don't believe teams were only putting say, 70% effort into game planning for him at the end of the season and this year it will be 95%. I think it has already been 95% and he was still was solid.

Also, all signs point to him, as well as others on our defense, improving, specifically Jones. Perhaps you could say there is enough film on Matthews to neutralize his game, and while I'm sure that's true to some extent, I don't believe its entirely true. He was a raw rookie and will only get better during the next few years.

Like I said, over rated by some, under rated by others.

"pack93z" wrote:

I understand where you are coming from. We will have to see if his numbers at the end of the year bear out. I hope they do. I hope they are better than they were last year. I just won't be surprised if they are not. I do know this- whatever they are if they are less, it won't be from a lack of effort on his part and I love that about the young man.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
13 years ago
Yeah, that's true. I think he should rack up 10+ sacks if he stays healthy. Maybe not 15, but I can see 10-12.

However, someone else better step up because that won't be enough for our defenense to shut down several opponts.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.