Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Wait.. I thought the Packers had to wait for all the surrounding picks to be signed before inking their own.. ;)

Damn.. proactive verse the NFL eh.. and I thought in not possible.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/99511624.html 

Unless something goes terribly wrong in the next 48 hours, the Green Bay Packers are going to have every member of their 82-man roster signed when their first training camp practice is held this weekend.

Two sources indicated Wednesday that first-round pick Bryan Bulaga, the lone Packer still unsigned, was in striking distance of an agreement and was likely to be in camp on time. Given that team negotiator Russ Ball has only one contract to work on, there should be plenty of time for him to get a deal done with Bulaga.

Ball and Bulaga's agent have had extensive talks this week, and there don't appear to be many road blocks. Aiding the negotiation is the fact the only first-round picks to sign so far were chosen near Bulaga, the No. 23 pick.

Dallas wide receiver Dez Bryant (No. 24) and New England cornerback Devin McCourty (No. 27) set the market for that region, and Bulaga and the Packers should be able to work off those deals. Bryant's contract isn't considered out of the ordinary, and it's reasonable to expect Bulaga will receive slightly more than the $11.8 million total and $8.4 million guaranteed the Cowboys rookie received.

Last year, the Packers had to wait 12 days before top pick B.J. Raji reached agreement, leading to 14 missed practices and a slow start to the season. Before that, a Packers top pick hadn't missed more than one practice since quarterback Aaron Rodgers missed eight in 2005.

The Packers' first practice is at 2 p.m. Saturday.

The Packers have signed all six of their other draft picks at a cost of about $2.6 million in rookie salary cap space, leaving them about $1.2 million to get the Bulaga deal done, according to a source with access to NFL players' association salary information. The $1.2 million does not reflect how much Bulaga will receive this season, but rather is a symbol of him commanding a third of the rookie salary cap space the Packers were allotted.

Though the NFL does not have a roster-wide salary cap this year because of the owners opting out of the collective bargaining agreement, the rookie cap is still intact. Each team is allotted a specific amount of money based on the number of picks it had and the position in which they were taken. The Packers' rookie pool this year is $3.863 million.

Signings in the first round have been slow, but the pace should start to pick up as teams report for practice.

The Packers' last unsigned veteran to come into the fold was safety Atari Bigby, whose agent told numerous media outlets Tuesday that his one-year tender offer had been signed. However, because the Packers are two over the 80-man roster limit, they have not turned in the contract to the league office.

Once Bigby and Bulaga are officially signed, the Packers will have to make two roster moves to get down to 80. They could place players recovering from injuries on the physically unable to perform list. Candidates would be cornerbacks Al Harris (knee) and Will Blackmon (knee), tight end Spencer Havner (shoulder), tackle T.J. Lang (wrist) and receiver Donald Driver (knees). Players on the PUP can be activated at any time, but a roster spot must be made for them.

Under coach Mike McCarthy, the Packers have been cautious with players coming off injuries, and they probably won't hesitate to keep a few off the field early in camp.

Dollars and cents: Second-round pick Mike Neal received the largest signing bonus of the six draft picks who signed, pulling in $1.16 million as soon as he put ink to paper.

Here are the signing bonuses given the others:

S Morgan Burnett, third round, $875,100; TE Andrew Quarless, fifth round, $182,425; OT Marshall Newhouse, fifth round, $149,850; RB James Starks, sixth round, $100,300; and DE C.J. Wilson, seventh round, $50,354.

All six signed four-year deals and will receive base salaries of $320,000 this year, $405,000 in 2011, $490,000 in 2012 and $575,000 in 2013.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
go.pack.go.
13 years ago
GREAT news.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
13 years ago
Awesome, good that his development won't be affected by nasty contractual talks.
blank
nerdmann
13 years ago
Yeah, when guys hold out, they don't develop properly. Then, they also get injured. Look at Raji last year. Remember when Dorsey Levens held out? Jevan Walker too, iirc.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Greg C.
13 years ago

Yeah, when guys hold out, they don't develop properly. Then, they also get injured. Look at Raji last year. Remember when Dorsey Levens held out? Jevan Walker too, iirc.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Ryan Grant was another one who was late to camp (in 2008) and then immediately got hurt.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
A seventh round draft pick gets a signing bonus of 50 grand.

Sigh. I can't help it. I'm envious. That's nearly a year's salary for me. 😞
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
PackerTraxx
13 years ago

"nerdmann" wrote:

That's one of the reasons I hate to see holdouts. It's seems there's an inordinate number of injuries to those players. That's also the reason I'm looking forward to seeing Raji this, hopefully, staying healthy.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Tezzy
13 years ago
FOOTBALL!!!! That's what my brain was screaming when I read this article. The season is nigh, can't wait.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
13 years ago
UserPostedImage 

"Bulaga meets Raji for the first time, discuss meals. Raji wants Peterson Paste and Bulaga wants Ulracher Crackers"
UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

"nerdmann" wrote:

Maybe that is why Harrell keeps getting injured. He thinks he held out.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (12h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (13h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (16h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (16h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.