Zero2Cool
13 years ago
It's rare an article makes me re-think my perception on a player, but this one has done just that about LeBron James.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/michael_rosenberg/07/08/lebron.event/index.html?cnn=yes&hpt=C2 

That would have sounded absurd, right? Well, it is no more absurd than what LeBron James is doing. Jordan was 27 years old in 1990, slightly older than James is now. He had never been to the NBA Finals. He had been beaten up by the Celtics and Pistons for years. He doubted his supporting cast was good enough.

But he never doubted himself.

And it became very clear Thursday night that LeBron James does doubt himself. James will be a champion in Miami -- if not next year, then sometime after that. If you put James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh together and give Pat Riley five years to find the complementary pieces, that team will win a championship.

But James does not have the heart of a champion. He does not have the competitive fire of Jordan, the bull-headed determination of Kobe Bryant, the quiet self-confidence of Tim Duncan, the willful defiance of Isiah or the winning-is-everything hunger of Magic Johnson.

He is an extremely gifted player who wants the easy way out.

And how do we know this?

James said so himself.

Oh, not in so many words. But once ESPN was done ESPN-izing its LeBron coverage -- filling it with babbling experts, needless hype and Jim Gray submitting his top six entries in the Stupidest Question Ever contest -- the self-proclaimed King said everything you need to know about him.

1. "You have to do what's best for you, and what's going to make you happy."

This is what's going to make him happy? Sharing a stage with two other stars? Really?

I guess that's all LeBron is: A complementary player with superstar talent. We should have figured this out before: He got that giant CHOSEN 1 tattoo on his back and calls himself King James because he is desperate for reassurance.

There is no greater challenge in sports getting drafted by a godawful team, planting your flag in a city and working like crazy until you have turned that team into a champion.

LeBron James didn't want the challenge. He wanted to play with his buddies.

2. "We don't have the pressure of going out and scoring 30 every night or shooting a high percentage."

Whoa. Hold on there. Scoring 30 a night is too much pressure for one of the five most talented players ever?

Find me another all-time NBA great who would utter those words. Jordan would rather do an adidas commercial than say that. Bryant must have laughed as he heard the so-called "King" say that. Larry Bird? The next time he complains about pressure will be the first. Magic was the greatest team player of the last 40 years, but he was also so competitive that he wanted to play Jordan one-on-one in a promotional event -- and this was when Magic had won titles and Jordan had not, so Magic had more to lose.

3. "I know how loyal I am."

The man just dumped his hometown(s) on national television. Cleveland (and, by extension, Akron) happens to be the most tortured sports city in America. To do that, then say "I know how loyal I am" ... wow, wow, wow.

I wish I could sit in on one of LeBron's meetings with his advisers. Does he make them all wear mirrored sunglasses, so that when he looks at them he sees himself?

We really don't ask that much of our sports stars. Try not to get arrested for anything big. Don't curse at the fans. You know, small stuff. We even understand that 95 percent of the time, they will make career decisions based on money -- we might not love it, but we understand it.

But see, the biggest thing that we ask of our sports stars is this: Take the competition as seriously as we do.

When LeBron James loses to Boston in the playoffs, we want him to take the heat, not take the Heat's offer. We want him to spend the summer adding to his game, calling and texting his teammates, plotting to do better next season.

Instead, well ...

4. "It's about joining forces with the other two guys."

He sounds like a nine-year-old playing Star Wars games with his buddies at a sleepover. And again: I do believe this Miami team will win a title. But it won't be as easy as he wants it to be. Miami will have the weakest bench of any contender next season After that, the NBA will have a lockout, and the league could eliminate the mid-level exception, which would be Miami's best tool for adding talent.

So this is a cop-out, but it's not as easy of a cop-out as it appears. And that brings us to ...

5. "This is the greatest challenge for me."

LeBron James just jumped into an elevator and wants us to think he can fly. Sorry, but we know better. We know that he did something Michael, Magic, Bird and Bill Russell never would have done. We know he ditched Cleveland for an All-Star team.

But you know what? In Miami, anything short of a title will be a failure. Nobody outside of Miami will root for this team, and nobody in Miami roots for anybody. They're too busy enjoying the weather.

I thought he would stay in Cleveland, because I thought all he cared about was adoration. I was wrong about Cleveland, but he is wrong about adoration. He thinks he'll get it by winning a title. He has insulated himself from the world, surrounded himself with yes men. He has no idea how much backlash he is about to get.

That's one of the great ironies of this -- James is trying to flee pressure, but he will just face more of it. He is trying to maximize his "brand," but he just damaged it.

The first time I watched LeBron James live, I thought he could be the greatest player ever. The sad truth for us, for him, and for the NBA is that he never really believed it himself.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/michael_rosenberg/07/08/lebron.event/index.html?cnn=yes&hpt=C2#ixzz0tBpXztgC 

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
Let me say this...

1. His hour long show..

a. I applaud his intention.. to help a charity out via capitalizing on the vultures that pitch there goods around athletes star power.. if that was is only intention I think it noble and misunderstood.

b. With (a) stated.. it came off, yes I watched until he announced his decision as an ego stroke... and a somewhat classless move towards Cleveland.. his hometown.. good luck with your naive thinking that you will still be embraced with the same open arms. Power blinds..

2. As for his decision.. I really don't think it was the easy way out.. or can criticize him for his decision.. that would be a tempting situation to walk into with Wade and an overrated Bosh.

I think the process has taken a good deal of respect away from him for the way it was handled.. nothing else. Whoever handles his PR, just dug a hole for him in about a 2 week span.

But I hardly think it will be longstanding.. heck Kobe can get away with rape and be forgiven in a short amount of time.. being seen as exploiting your ego a little overly.. it won't last in many places beyond Ohio. There.. once a King now a dirty little Peasant.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
13 years ago
A classic display on how not to handle the rejection.. Child vs Child here.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html 

Open Letter to Fans from Cavaliers Majority Owner Dan Gilbert

Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER KING WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert
Majority Owner
Cleveland Cavaliers

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Wow, sounds like an ex boyfriend who's pissed off after he and his girl took a break .. .and she decided to move on to a better looking guy instead of going back to him. Also, kind of reminds me of the bitterness heard in '08 locally.

I think the letter was uncalled for and unprofessionally worded.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago
Gilbert went way too far. That letter was classless and only serves to deflect the blame from Gilbert to LeBron.

I've seen so many articles today ripping James for his decision. Some people go as far to say he's destroyed his legacy. That's insane to me. I think he made the best decision to be honest. In basketball today you just can't do it all by yourself. The Celtics and Lakers are teams stacked with superstar talent (Garnett, Allen, Pierce, Rondo, Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, Odom). If you want to compete you can't just throw out your one superstar (Wade, Bosh, LeBron) and expect them to win. So what's the best decision for those players? To team up and win a championship together. It makes perfect sense to me.

Once the next season gets underway I think everyone will forget about this little show.

I commend LeBron for this decision. For all the years that LeBron was with the Cavs who did they bring in to help him win? Delonte West? A burned-out Shaq? Antwan Jamison? Come on people, if they really wanted LeBron back they should have convinced him they were trying to win.

You can play the "turning the back on his hometown" card all you want, but if people in your hometown feel betrayed because you made a decision that was in your best interest, well, I wouldn't want to call that my hometown anymore.
Formo
13 years ago
I love the letter. I would have written the same damn thing.

The sad thing.. James will be compared to Jordan and he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same SENTENCE as MJ.

Bottom line: James is a quitter, and I'm a Cleveland fan until they win that Championship.. preferably before Miami gets one.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Formo
13 years ago

Gilbert went way too far. That letter was classless and only serves to deflect the blame from Gilbert to LeBron.

I've seen so many articles today ripping James for his decision. Some people go as far to say he's destroyed his legacy. That's insane to me. I think he made the best decision to be honest. In basketball today you just can't do it all by yourself. The Celtics and Lakers are teams stacked with superstar talent (Garnett, Allen, Pierce, Rondo, Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, Odom). If you want to compete you can't just throw out your one superstar (Wade, Bosh, LeBron) and expect them to win. So what's the best decision for those players? To team up and win a championship together. It makes perfect sense to me.

Once the next season gets underway I think everyone will forget about this little show.

I commend LeBron for this decision. For all the years that LeBron was with the Cavs who did they bring in to help him win? Delonte West? A burned-out Shaq? Antwan Jamison? Come on people, if they really wanted LeBron back they should have convinced him they were trying to win.

You can play the "turning the back on his hometown" card all you want, but if people in your hometown feel betrayed because you made a decision that was in your best interest, well, I wouldn't want to call that my hometown anymore.

"djcubez" wrote:

Eh? It's not about James, dude. It's still a team sport. It's about CLEVELAND.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Kingkoopa
13 years ago
Lebron James is a POS enough said. It's not that he went to the Heat and left the Cavs. It's that he went on national television to announce his decision. It's that he didn't even call Gilbert or anyone in the Cavs organization to give them his decision, rather he let them find out live like the rest of us. What Gilbert said was totally unprofessional and he shouldn't have said it, but still it was true. I mean Lebron has the words "Chosen One" tattooed on his back. I can't believe people ever thought that this guy was humble or classy.
blank
IronMan
13 years ago

I

Bottom line: James is a quitter.

"Formo" wrote:

Please explain to me why he is a quitter.
Cheesey
13 years ago
"Chosen one!!!!" (Line from one of my favorite movies, "Kung Pow, Enter the Fist"
I think someone that has that tattooed on their back is madly in love with themselves. Me, i don't really care about the guy either way. He obviously isn't the "super star" he thinks he is, or he'd already have a few rings, right?
He's good, but no Michael Jordan. (But then, who is?)
I don't blame the owner for what he wrote. I look at it this way. How many times do team owners really feel like this, but bite their tongues and don't say it. This guy had to guts to say how he feels. Right or wrong, he spoke his mind and defended HIS team.
We have seen atheletes rip their former teams plenty of times. They usually don't get blasted for it.
It makes it more exciting in my view. Imagine what it will be like when these 2 teams meet? Geez......I'd LOVE to be there!!!LOLOL!!!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (2h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (6h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.