RaiderPride
13 years ago

I am fired up. I expect a Superbowl win.

Here is my take. This is the last chance for romance for Mike McCarthy and his staff.

Ted Thompson is not going anywhere regardless how this season ends.

14- 2 with a loss in the second playoff game. Ted is safe.

11-5 with a loss in the first playoff game Ted is safe.

The Head Coach however is sliding down a razor blade on a skate board. one slip and he is cut.. This is a make it or break it year for Mike. He gets to the Superbowl or he is gone. Mike could very well be gone unless something special happens with this team, and I think he knows it.

The consensus with many, many, in the media and the NFL in general is the Packers have the nucleus, and the QB to get there.

IF... (And I do not believe it will happen) the Packers do not make it to Dallas....

You can say good bye to M.M.

And... I will agree with the move to move on from Mike.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
TheEngineer
13 years ago
I worry, if McCarthy is replaced does that throw out our new 3-4 defense? What if the head coach is a defensive minded HC who wants to take over the defensive side and hire an offensive coordinator? Will Capers want to play for a new HC, or will he in fact try and step up to take over or leave if not ala Jim Bates?
blank
RaiderPride
13 years ago

I worry, if McCarthy is replaced does that throw out our new 3-4 defense? What if the head coach is a defensive minded HC who wants to take over the defensive side and hire an offensive coordinator? Will Capers want to play for a new HC, or will he in fact try and step up to take over or leave if not ala Jim Bates?

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Good point! This too shall pass.

I am sure that Ted would factor all of that in when bringing in a replacement.

Now I am not saying this IS GOING TO HAPPEN. I am just saying this may be his last chance. And, he and his staff has to realize that.

The players who respect Mike and the staff have to realize it too. That is the key. Buy in 100% or get the frick out of the way.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
IronMan
13 years ago
After this season, Mike McCarthy will have 2 years left on his contract at about $4 million per year. I think that fact alone, means his job is safe for at least a few more years.
RaiderPride
13 years ago

After this season, Mike McCarthy will have 2 years left on his contract at about $4 million per year. I think that fact alone, means his job is safe for at least a few more years.

"IronMan" wrote:

Great point IronMan.

However another way to look at it would be that means Mike McCarthy would get to coach the Packers for what? 6 years?

Sherman had 5 opportunities and he was gone.

Rhodes had an 8 game opportunity. Toast.

Infanti had 3 opportunities. Fired.

Gregg had three Opportunities. See Ya Later.

Starr had an amazing 8 opportunities to get it done... See ya later regardless of your historic name and accomplishments.

Holmgren did it. Once. In 7 chances. Then he left on his own.

With all due respect... I think Mike is going to get 5 chances. 4 Million means nothing to a team with as rich of a history as the Packers.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"IronMan" wrote:

I don't think it means much, other than we have him signed for two more years. Many contracts for coaching staff's have a buyout clause or one is negotiated at a later time. Maybe I'm just hoping the Packers don't care about the length of contracts as much as they do about winning football.

I don't think it's do or die for Mike McCarthy though.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago
If the Packers make the playoffs then I don't see Mike McCarthy going any where... why would you cut the head coach when your in your window to win the Super Bowl? You don't... why? because unless the coach knows how everything has been running and what's going on inside then your have to start all over and the players have to get used to a new system, a new way of doing things...
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
13 years ago
If we're just making up stuff to talk about, why don't we just go all in and say Brett Favre is taking HGH or some other performance inhancing drug to beat Father Time. The boys over at Times Four are on this topic.

It makes sense to me. I'm 41 and sure as hell don't feel like 25, or even 32. HGH explains why he reports so late. Maybe the league just gives good ole Brett a pass on his drug testing.

As for McCarthey, I didn't know a coach had to win a Super Bowl to keep his job. Winning Super Bowls are about staying injury free and peaking at the right time.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago
You have to take a look at what's happening on the field, as well, though. I know, McCarthy isn't our OC, but a lot of the stuff that's happening on offense, he will get credit for. A lot of stuff that's happening on defense, they'll look at Capers for.

I think that McCarthy's job is safe if we make the play-offs. Especially if the offense keeps going the way it's been for a couple of years now.

Slocum's STs should make leaps forward this year, or he'll be the scapegoat.

And the year after that, Capers can be he scapegoat again. Especially if his defense will go downhill after the first couple of years, like they've been doing at his previous coaching spots.

But if McCarthy would get fired, I asume that the entire staff will go with him.

If that were to happen, I'd love to get a defensive minder coach. I believe that you have to hire a coach on the side of the ball that you're weaker at. Brian Billick in Baltimore, Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay, Bill Belichick in New England. They can get the most out of the little they have to work with.

I'd make an exception for Jon Gruden, though. I'd love to have him here in GB.
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
The only way I see McCarthy losing his job is if he falls on his face with a healthy team. If they would lose, say Woodson and Matthews for most of the season I believe 8-8 would be a good job. Same as if the Jets lost Revis and Harris. I don't know of any team that could take a hit like that. I think Capers did a good job last year considering he lost Kampmann, Harris and Bigby for a good part of the year. I know teams always talk about players stepping up, but realistically you don't just replace key players, there's a drop off.

Also I think McCarthy is a good QB coach and that's very important. Brett did better when McCarthy came here and Rodgers has developed nicely.

His orignal coaching staff was pretty weak. The defensive side is much better now. I believe we still have a couple of weak links on the offensive side, hopefully they get better or get replaced.

IMO everthing is pretty much headed in the right direction.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
beast (4h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (4h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (20h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (21h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.