Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/06/28/packers-defense-looks-to-be-nfls-best/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002&xid=si_nfl 

As the Green Bay Packers wrapped up minicamp last week, their defensive players headed off on their summer vacations feeling fired up, but with something less than whole. There was no mistaking the absence of defensive end Johnny Jolly (legal troubles) and safety Atari Bigby (contract squabbles) from minicamp, and the feeling that things would be better if the off-field stuff would abate and the guys would all get back on the field.

"We wish the best for those guys, and we're very confident in the group of guys we have here working hard and putting in the time," Packers safety Nick Collins told FanHouse in a phone interview. "But we want everybody to be there. It's hard to just say we're not worrying about those guys, but hopefully they can resolve their situations and get back quick, because last year as a defense we were at our best when we were all together."

And make no mistake -- the Packers' defense, along with the rest of the team, has some very high hopes for the 2010 season.

"We want to be the No. 1 overall defense," Collins said. "We want everybody to talk about us, not talk about what we could be."

The Packers are among the teams leading the off-season hype race (non-Jets division). Preseason predictions are rolling in, and based on last year's success, the expectation that Aaron Rodgers will continue to grow as an elite NFL quarterback and the feeling that they've plugged some of their 2009 holes, the Packers are a team people are picking to contend for and win the Super Bowl. That's fine with the Packers, who expect the same of themselves, but they know it's only June and there's work still to be done.

"People think we're a Super Bowl contender, and we welcome that, because we think that too. But we know we have to go out there and show everybody why they're right and we're right."
- Nick Collins "Our defense led the league in takeaways and defense against the run," second-year defensive coordinator Dom Capers said in a phone interview. "Normally, when you lead the league in takeaways and run defense, you should have a shot. So probably our biggest challenge is to figure out how to improve our pass defense, especially how to get more pressure on a consistent basis."

This is the second year of Capers' 3-4 scheme in Green Bay, and he said it's gone much more smoothly this spring because he doesn't have to spend as much time drilling new terminology as he did last year when he was new. But there are going to be some differences this year from 2009 -- some Capers is planning and some for which he's hoping:

2009 first-round draft pick B.J. Raji will move inside to play nose tackle. This move is not a surprise, as Raji was drafted to play nose tackle. But since he spent much of his rookie season at end (and a decent chunk of it injured), it's new to see him in the middle. That's where he spent the entire minicamp, though, and that's where the Packers expect him to be when the season starts.

"B.J.'s biggest problem was, he held out of camp last year and he missed our installations," Capers said. "We had about 150 defenses for him to learn, and he wasn't in camp. Then he sprained his ankle in a preseason game. So he was really behind the 8-ball all along. We think he's going to be a really good player for us because he has the size and also the athletic ability we look for in there."

Rookie Morgan Burnett will work into the safety rotation -- perhaps in a significant role at the outset. Burnett has been taking first-team reps this spring with Bigby sitting out, and he's drawn raves from coaches and teammates. Regardless of whether or when Bigby returns to claim his starting strong safety job, Burnett is likely to see a great deal of time on the field in a league that gets more pass-oriented all the time.

"He's been doing a good job," Collins said of Burnett. "One thing I can tell about the young guy is he pays attention. You can coach him, he listens and you like to play with a player like that."

Capers will deploy his ends and linebackers strategically to improve QB pressure. Capers said he's counting on his linebacker group to produce in pressure packages in passing situations, but he specifically mentioned ends Mike Neal and Cullen Jenkins as vital to what the Packers are planning for those situations in 2010. He said he believes Jenkins can be a critical factor as a pass-rusher and that the team might employ some packages that see the 300-pounder line up as an outside linebacker on passing downs.

"I think he's a guy that can give us some sacks," Capers said. "I thought he had some great rushes last year. If he had just finished a couple of those rushes off, I think he could have had nine or 10 sacks. (He had 4.5.)"

Regardless of how it all looks and where everybody lines up, it's clear the Packers' defense would like to be more than just an afterthought when people discuss Rodgers and the high-powered offense. They believe they put many of the pieces in place in 2009, and they expect to take a big step forward in 2010 -- assuming everybody can get on the field together.

"The sky's the limit for us this year," Collins said. "We're very confident, and it's up to us to go out and meet expectations. People think we're a Super Bowl contender, and we welcome that, because we think that too. But we know we have to go out there and show everybody why they're right and we're right."

UserPostedImage
Tezzy
13 years ago
150 defenses to learn, just wow.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
RainX
13 years ago
Defensive succes is going to come down to three things imo:

- Brad Jones ability to get to the QB and take pressure off Matthews

- Burnett's ability to absorb the defense and make plays as a rookie

- Lee and/or Underwood's ability to hold down the nickel CB spot potentially all year because there is no guarantee of even if Al Harris comes back he's going to be the same player he was before he blew out his knee

We know the defensive line can stuff the run if everyone stays healthy. Hopefully the LBs can get enough pressure on opposing QBs and we won't get abused over the middle as much as we were last year.
blank
zombieslayer
13 years ago

"Our defense led the league in takeaways and defense against the run," second-year defensive coordinator Dom Capers said in a phone interview. "Normally, when you lead the league in takeaways and run defense, you should have a shot. So probably our biggest challenge is to figure out how to improve our pass defense, especially how to get more pressure on a consistent basis."

I think this is the key here. Generate more pass pressure and we have an elite D. You may even see more shots at INTs than even last year.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Dulak
13 years ago

"Our defense led the league in takeaways and defense against the run," second-year defensive coordinator Dom Capers said in a phone interview. "Normally, when you lead the league in takeaways and run defense, you should have a shot. So probably our biggest challenge is to figure out how to improve our pass defense, especially how to get more pressure on a consistent basis."

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I think this is the key here. Generate more pass pressure and we have an elite D. You may even see more shots at INTs than even last year.

I agree the more pressure on a QB the more mistakes -

IMO Id gladly give up some run yardage for better pressure on the QB.
13 years ago
hey waitaminute..i thought we were #20? somebody's being disingenuous!

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

PackerTraxx
13 years ago
It's going to be a fun year...hopefully. We should be better, just because of a years experience with the new 3-4. Looking for a big jump from B. Jones as he's had the off season for strength and conditioning along with the experience of last year. He seems to have the speed and smarts to be a good OLB.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
zombieslayer
13 years ago

I agree the more pressure on a QB the more mistakes -

IMO Id gladly give up some run yardage for better pressure on the QB.

"Dulak" wrote:

Me too.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
dyeah_gb
13 years ago
As stated in teh article, this is our second year in the 3-4. I am hoping to see some improvement as the players are more comfortable. Also, I am looking forward to pre-season to see if we have any other exotic plays like last year's Psycho. Having a rare play that totally throws off the offense is great.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I'm kind of the odd one out. I thought the secondary was unable to cover for the duration of a 3 step drop. I didn't see a whole lot of coverage sacks. It is hard for me to blame the D line and the Pass rush when the ball is out to the first read in 3 seconds. No pass rush is that fast.

The QBs who were good at quick reads burned them. But they got to Big Ben quite a few times. He was able to shake off a few and almost 1/3 of his yards were against Bush.

The other ones that burned us were 1. Warner, when we had 4 missing CBs that are going to be back and Bigby for half the game. 2. Favre, who was throwing at a backup safety when we played in Minnesota. I think the problems with the Pass rush are over stated.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (5h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (9h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (9h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.