Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I think they say once an alcoholic always an alcoholic is because its an everyday battle for the rest of your life to overcome the temptation and addiction.

Once you're a convict, you're always a convict even if you never commit another felony again in your life, you're still a convict.

Once you're not a virgin, you can never go back, even if you don't have sex for 20 years, you're still never going to be a virgin again.

Not sure why the hasty words 'hate to break it to ya' there, but okay. Yes, people change, that doesn't mean they are no longer a recovering alcoholic. You think someone who's an (err was in your view) an alcoholic doesn't fear succumbing to drinking out of control again?

I know quite a few people, family and friends who are recovering alcoholics and are fine with the term, why aren't you? Seriously, what's your beef with it? I bet you view alcoholics as BAD people or losers, don't you? An alcoholic isn't someone who is bad, it's someone who is (this is my opinion) weak between the ears for some reason or another.

Alcoholics are people who have a problem they created unintentionally. I don't buy into the whole alcoholism is hereditary excuse either. Sure, it MAY increase the chances, but it is not the reason. Not in my experience or observations anyhow.

Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
I married an alcoholic and I control her drinking like I control her finances. I simply tell her what she can and can't drink. I realize drinking IN MODERATION is good for you, and is one of the best things you can possibly do health wise. Of the people who have lived 115+ years, if I'm not mistaken, all of them drank. No coincidence. Drinking thins your blood and heart disease to this day kills over 50% of first world people.

Same thing with her finances. She was running up big bills. I cut her up her credit cards, took her paychecks, and gave her a cash allowance. This is how much she can spend and she blows it, then she has to wait for the next allowance period (once a week).

Alcoholism can be cured. You can have a Nazi (me), or a 12-step program. I proved the former works. AA has a pretty high success rate so I know people who are strong enough to commit to AA will get something good out of it.

Now back to the original topic, honestly, I know less than anyone else on this thread. I have no idea if it's a disease or it's willpower. All I know is it can be fixed if you put your foot down and don't allow any exceptions whatsoever.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
13 years ago

AA has a pretty high success rate

"zombieslayer" wrote:

UserPostedImage

the overwhelming majority of estimates and studies (including their own) put their success rate between 3 and 5%. jus' sayin'.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

zombieslayer
13 years ago

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

UserPostedImage

the overwhelming majority of estimates and studies (including their own) put their success rate between 3 and 5%. jus' sayin'.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Well, won't argue with me as I'm sure you know way better than I do, but I heard it was much higher. Maybe my source was wrong. If so, I take that statement back.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

UserPostedImage

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Just sayin huh?

Why don't you just say something about the members who are ordered to attend that contribute to the success and failure ratio?
Why don't you just say something about longevity within the AA meetings linked to sobriety?
Why don't you just say something about what defines "success" to YOU or to AA meetings?
Why don't you just say something about recovering alcoholics who attend AA meetings stay sober until they stop attending AA meetings and the effect that has on the ratio?

Just sayin ...

My personal feelings on AA meetings ... sure they might be good for some people. I learned a lot from sitting in on them. Do I think they're worth their time? I don't know, but I do know it is worth trying. The problem I seen was drunks talking about how wasted they got back when this and that happened. I didn't care for that and felt that gave the wrong impression. I felt "you're here to recover, not reminisce about the good ole times". I can see how some claim it's a cult too. I think 12 steps are a good. Notice I didn't say the 12 step program?

If AA meetings focused on doing activities NON alcoholic and avoided discussions about previous binges ... that is obviously good because a lot of people that drink lack hobbies from what I experienced.

Bottom line is no alcoholic is recover that doesn't want to inside. If a group could bring that out for someone to see, great. I don't think AA does that efficiently though.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago

Just sayin huh?

Why don't you just say something about the members who are ordered to attend that contribute to the success and failure ratio?
Why don't you just say something about longevity within the AA meetings linked to sobriety?
Why don't you just say something about what defines "success" to YOU or to AA meetings?
Why don't you just say something about recovering alcoholics who attend AA meetings stay sober until they stop attending AA meetings and the effect that has on the ratio?

Just sayin ...

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

uh...i'm not quite sure exactly what you're "just sayin" to be honest. everything you mentioned is taken into account as factors in the percentages. is this your way of asking for links? charts? fucking ven diagrams? point is...they are not, nor have they ever been...or will likely ever prove to be...more successful than any other method, or no method at all.

Bottom line is no alcoholic is recover that doesn't want to inside. If a group could bring that out for someone to see, great. I don't think AA does that efficiently though.

and on this we agree, absolutely. a major issue i have with the 12 step programs is that you're simply trading one life-consuming habit for another...and when it comes right down to it? i won't lie. i'd rather be sticking needles in my arms again and live one more incredibly creative and productive year than be stuck sucking down shitty coffee with a bunch of bummed out people 3 or more times a week for the rest of my life. and while that sounds crude...i think people need to be more responsible for their lives and take accountability for their actions. don't look at the things life gives you like it's an on/off switch. anybody can do something too much or not at all. the truly hard part is to live a healthy life without cheating yourself out of happiness, in whatever form that takes.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Formo
13 years ago

I think they say once an alcoholic always an alcoholic is because its an everyday battle for the rest of your life to overcome the temptation and addiction.

Once you're a convict, you're always a convict even if you never commit another felony again in your life, you're still a convict.

Once you're not a virgin, you can never go back, even if you don't have sex for 20 years, you're still never going to be a virgin again.

Not sure why the hasty words 'hate to break it to ya' there, but okay. Yes, people change, that doesn't mean they are no longer a recovering alcoholic. You think someone who's an (err was in your view) an alcoholic doesn't fear succumbing to drinking out of control again?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I said people change.. because they AREN'T a recovering alcoholic. They moved on with their lives. The temptation may still be there, but because their is no longer a dependency on alcohol it can't honestly be called alcoholism. Each person is different, so I'm 100% sure that there are people who are living life long as a recovering alcoholic and fight the urge daily. Like you said, that's just a lack of mental will power.

I know quite a few people, family and friends who are recovering alcoholics and are fine with the term, why aren't you? Seriously, what's your beef with it? I bet you view alcoholics as BAD people or losers, don't you? An alcoholic isn't someone who is bad, it's someone who is (this is my opinion) weak between the ears for some reason or another.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Personally I try to avoid them. It's not my place to judge and I don't.. but that doesn't mean I have to keep them in my company either. My mother is an alcoholic. She moved to Arkansas a handful of years ago and I've only seen her once since she moved. The only time I get a call from her is when she's blasted. Which is something she craves every waking moment. You lost your mother physically because of alcohol, and in very much the same way I've lost mine. I feel alcoholics are very weak kneed people, and because their actions frustrate me, I choose not to associate with them.

Alcoholics are people who have a problem they created unintentionally. I don't buy into the whole alcoholism is hereditary excuse either. Sure, it MAY increase the chances, but it is not the reason. Not in my experience or observations anyhow.

Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Bottom line, alcoholics CHOOSE to be what they are. Most don't make that choice consciously but with their choice to drink without any inhibitions.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
13 years ago
Here's my take, for what it's worth. Why do some want to call it a disease? because it takes away their personal responsibility for their actions. Fact is, it's a choice to drink. But when you call it a "disease", it then makes it possible to lay the blame elsewhere. "I had no choice! it's a DISEASE!" Is the drive to drink stronger in some then others?
ABSOLUTELY!
The same is for smokers, over eaters, and so on.
If you do thinks that cause you to get "sick", then alot of the blame is on your own shoulders.
In the end, you have to WANT help to be helped. I was a teenage drunk. I could have very easily stayed on that path. For about 10 years i didn't touch a drop of alcohol, because once i started drinking, i didn't stop till i was passed out drunk or the bars closed. Now, i matured and can have one or two beers and can stop. I don'.t let it control me. It took time and hard work.
WILLPOWER is what it takes. Alcohol, smoking, over eatting, all are crutches to help us "cope" with problems/stress.
And if you let your guard down, it can come back and bite you in the butt again.
Some have addictive personalities, and these kinds of things can be harder for them to break. B ut it still comes down to choice.
If you don't put the drink up to your mouth, you won't be a drunk.
I'm not saying it's easy. I KNOW it's not. But a person CAN change, if they want to. Some would rather cop out then do the work necessary to "get better".
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Bottom line, alcoholics CHOOSE to be what they are. Most don't make that choice consciously but with their choice to drink without any inhibitions.

"Formo" wrote:

So an aids victim chose to be infected too, right?

Nice to know people say 'im going to be an alcoholic' and that's just how easy it is. There's a alcoholic switch right? Just FLIP it on when you wanna be one and flip it off when ya don't. It's that easy, there's no difficulties in it, none at all. It's 100% pure CHOICE!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Here's my take, for what it's worth. Why do some want to call it a disease? because it takes away their personal responsibility for their actions.

"Cheesey" wrote:

That's exactly what I was saying earlier, that some want to call it a disease so when they relapse they can bemoan 'whoa is me, i have a disease, the disease made me do it'. I disagree with that.

In the end, you have to WANT help to be helped.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Also, something I said.

I'm not saying it's easy. I KNOW it's not. But a person CAN change, if they want to. Some would rather cop out then do the work necessary to "get better".

"Cheesey" wrote:

Again, something I also said.

Alcoholism is a disabling addictive disorder. It is characterized by compulsive and uncontrolled consumption of alcohol despite its negative effects on the drinker's health, relationships, and social standing. Like other drug addictions, alcoholism is medically defined as a treatable disease.

Let me try to explain it this way for others to see where I'm coming from on my views. You're on a road (life), driving (living life) and you swerve off (have a few drinks at your local bar) ... there's no ditch (dependancy on alcohol) so you can easily get back on the road.

An alcoholic has dug a ditch [some deeper than others] next to the road so when they swerve off, they swerve into the ditch and it becomes immensley difficult for them to get back on the road. Most of them want to get back on the road, but feel the challenge is overwhelming and the easy way out is to stay in the ditch and drink more until their problems go away.

That ditch is always there, it doesn't get filled in by anything and the alcoholic always sees the ditch, almost taunting them when they are driving down the road. The ditch will never go away.

That's where I'm saying and agreeing with the commonly understood statement, once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. That is the context I think alcoholism is a disease, not a disease as an excuse to drink.

There's so much more to it than meets the eye than the simple "choice" of picking up a bottle or not picking up a bottle. That line of thinking is naive and ignornant in my opinion AND understandable, I fully understand an appreciate it. I truly wish the lot of us could get in a room and discuss it because I think I'd learn something and perhaps my experience could shed some new thoughts for others.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.