Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100626/PKR01/100626053/How-the-roster-looks-going-into-training-camp 

Training camp will be the proving ground for whether Green Bay Packers safety Atari Bigby erred by refusing to sign his restricted free agent tender and skipping all of the team's offseason work.

Early signs suggest he did. His absence gave third-round draft pick Morgan Burnett extensive work as a starting safety in the Packers organized team activities and minicamp, and Burnett has been perhaps the teams most impressive rookie in offseason practices.

Jobs arent won in May and June, but Burnett is as well prepared as he could have hoped to be to take the starting job from Bigby in training camp.

Very studious, safeties coach Darren Perry said of Burnett last week. You can tell its important to him, hes putting in the time and really wanting to learn the defense as best he can. Hes trying to be a leader. Him and Nick (Collins) have done a good job working together. Still a lot to learn at that position, but hes taken a lot. Very few mental mistakes.

Elsewhere in the secondary, even though Al Harris is a compulsive worker, theres almost no chance the starting cornerback will be practicing at the start of training camp only eight months after surgery on his left knee. Some aspects of recovering from knee-reconstruction surgery take at least nine to 10 months no matter how hard a player rehabilitates.

Theres a possibility the 35-year old Harris wont take part in camp and will open the season on the physically-unable-to-perform list, which would force him to miss the first six games. The Packers medical staff and coach Mike McCarthy will make that decision in August.

Either way, chances are Tramon Williams will start at cornerback opposite Charles Woodson early in the season. If Harris is unavailable, either Brandon Underwood or Pat Lee will play 50 to 60 percent of the defensive snaps as the No. 3 cornerback.

Underwood, a seventh-round draft pick last year, worked ahead of Lee in last weeks minicamp and is ahead heading into training camp. Underwood has the natural feet and hips in coverage of a much higher draft pick but lasted until the seventh round last year because of major concerns about his maturity. Those concerns were borne out to a degree last season with tardiness and again this offseason in a much-publicized incident involving two alleged prostitutes in Lake Delton.

Lee, a second-round pick in 2008, is a little more physical than Underwood, and has a realistic shot at the job after missing most of his first two seasons because of knee injuries.

Jarrett Bush, a swing safety and cornerback as well as a core player on special teams, faces an uphill battle to make the roster for a fourth season.

Derrick Martin, a trade acquisition last year, is the better safety and has comparable special-teams coverage abilities.

Will Blackmon, who is moving from cornerback to safety, is a near lock to make the roster because hes by far the best return man on the team. Blackmon didnt practice in the offseason but appears to have made an excellent recovery from knee-reconstruction surgery performed Oct. 29.

Sam Shields, an undrafted rookie of note, looks raw as a cornerback and catching punts.

How other positions look as the Packers end their offseason program and look forward to training camp, which opens July 31.

Defensive line[ul]
This could be a position of depth, depending on several factors, most notably whether Johnny Jolly is convicted of felony possession of codeine in his upcoming trial in Houston. Jolly is a good player but a wild card off the field.

Also at defensive end, the Packers used a second-round draft pick on Mike Neal and are looking for him to enhance their inside pass rush. They also found an interesting prospect in the seventh round in C.J. Wilson, who appears to have some pass rush talent.

Jarius Wynn showed more strength as a rookie last year than his 6-foot-3, 285-pound frame might suggest and is another rotational player who will be tough to knock off the roster.

On the other hand, though Justin Harrell has made it through the offseason just fine, logic says the former first-round draft pick faces difficult odds to make the team in his fourth season. Recurring disk problems in his lower back have sidelined him for 26 of 32 games over the last two years.

The Packers have to be deeply concerned that even if Harrell makes it through training camp healthy, he could aggravate his back early in the season and end up on injured reserve. That would leave them empty-handed because the player they cut to keep Harrell probably will have been picked up by another team.

One of defensive line coach Mike Trgovacs charges in camp is finding an effective inside rusher to team with Cullen Jenkins on passing downs, most likely from the group of nose tackle B.J. Raji, Neal and Wilson.[/ul]

Linebackers[ul]
Brad Jones will be the starting left outside linebacker, where he replaced Aaron Kampman last season after the latter blew out his knee. Jones is not the pass rusher the departed Kampman is, but hes a better all-around player for the job because of his coverage skills. Jones offers a little more flexibility in defensive coordinator Dom Capers play calling.

The Packers potentially have left themselves painfully thin behind starters Jones and Clay Matthews. Brady Poppinga plays the run well as the No. 3 outside linebacker, but in five seasons he hasnt shown the pass-rush skills that got him 20 sacks in his college career.

General Manager Ted Thompson surely will look hard for another backup once teams start cutting players in August, and its a good bet a couple of new players will roll through camp. If no one holds up, the fourth outside linebacker will come from a group of players who entered the league undrafted: Robert Francois and Cyril Obiozor, who were rookie free agents last year, and Frank Zombo and John Russell, who went undrafted this year.

Francois, who spent the final four weeks on the Packers practice squad last year, was working high in the rotation after dropping weight from the 260-pound range in 2009 to about 250 pounds this year. Zombo is more athletic than Russell, who is making a challenging transition from college defensive tackle to 3-4 outside linebacker.

The Packers dabbled in minicamp with defensive end Jenkins playing some outside linebacker, and also had Brandon Chillar take a few snaps there as well, but those probably are change-of-pace options at best.

Desmond Bishop, a perennial preseason game standout, faces a tough time getting on the field at inside linebacker, though he could make a run at A.J. Hawk if he becomes consistently assignment-sound.[/ul]

Quarterbacks[ul]Backup Matt Flynn has some limitations in arm talent but is mobile and keeps improving at running the offense. He looks like a viable option at least to finish a game.

Graham Harrell, recently signed this offseason, has a decent shot to stick as the practice-squad quarterback. He didnt go to an NFL training camp and ended up as a deep backup in the Canadian Football League as a rookie last year after Cleveland cut him after a post-draft minicamp tryout. He has average arm strength at best but also looks polished, poised and smart.[/ul]

Offensive line[ul]
It looks like Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher will be starting at left and right tackle, respectively, perhaps for the last time. Each has an heir apparent behind him first-round pick Bryan Bulaga on the left side and T.J. Lang on the right but both veterans looked healthy and sound in offseason practices.

Bulaga appears as technically proficient as his Iowa pedigree suggests, but hell do well to forge as good a career as Clifton has, at least as a pass blocker. Lang, a second-year pro, missed offseason practices because of wrist surgery and will have to come back at an unexpectedly high level to unseat Tauscher in camp.

At the end of minicamp, coach Mike McCarthy said Lang will play right tackle and guard when camp opens, which means he wont be in the running for the starting job at left guard, at least at the beginning. Daryn Colledge is the front-runner there, considering Jason Spitz didnt practice all offseason and is coming back from a serious lower-back injury.

Breno Giacomini looks like hes improved his odds of making the final roster for a third season, considering the extensive work he got at right tackle with Lang out. Most teams will make room for an extra lineman, so Allen Barbre can make the roster though hell need a strong camp to do it.

Fifth-round pick Marshall Newhouse has a ways to go at guard, though he appeared more comfortable at tackle. Backup center Evan Dietrich-Smith, who made the team as an undrafted rookie last year, will be tough to knock off the roster.[/ul]

Running backs[ul]
Ryan Grant is the unquestioned starter and again is headed for most of the carries.

Sixth-round pick James Starks, like Grant, is a tall back, and in nonpadded practices looked a little more athletic and agile than Grant. But most running backs are especially difficult to judge until the games, when they show whether they can break tackles and take hits.

Fourth-year pro Brandon Jackson has value because hes become a sound pass blocker and also catches well.

Fullback Quinn Johnson is a masher, so theres no knowing the strides hes made fundamentally as a blocker from his rookie season until the pads go on. He showed signs late last season of being a punishing blocker at about 265 pounds, though he also has to show up as a cover man on special teams.

Its hard to see the Packers keeping three fullbacks again, so if Johnson performs, then either John Kuhn or Korey Hall probably wont be back for a fourth season.[/ul]

Receivers[ul]
The top four will be the same for the third straight season with Greg Jennings and Donald Driver starting, and backups James Jones and Jordy Nelson sharing the No. 3 job.

Not much separates Jones and Nelson. Jones has settled into a playing weight of a little under 210 pounds after feeling too bulked up at closer to 220 two years ago. Nelson for the second straight offseason showed some chemistry with quarterback Aaron Rodgers when plays broke down, though last year it didnt carry over much to the regular season.

Brett Swain appears to have made as impressive a recovery as Blackmon from knee surgery, which makes him a good bet to win the No. 5 job again, assuming he can perform close to the level he did in camp last year as a receiver and special-teams player.

The receivers with the best chance to challenge Swain or make the practice squad are Patrick Williams, who was on the 53-man roster the last three games last season, and Chastin West, an undrafted rookie who has good size (6-1, 212) and hands.[/ul]

Tight ends[ul]
Judging from offseason practices, Jermichael Finley could be ready to take off as a playmaker after his strong finish as a receiver last year.

Rookie Andrew Quarless flashes good receiving talent and speed but probably is too raw to make much of a contribution this year ahead of steady-as-she-goes veteran Donald Lee. Spencer Havners promising move to tight end last year took a mind-boggling hit when he had to sit out all offseason after breaking his shoulder blade while messing around on a motorcycle.[/ul]

Special teams[ul]
The punt-off between Tim Masthay and Chris Bryan looks as close as the coaching staff says. Masthay appears to have the slightly stronger leg, and the 28-year-old Bryan appears a little more polished, especially with his variety of unusual techniques on pooch punts after his career in Australian Rules Football.[/ul]

UserPostedImage
coltonja
13 years ago
I'm so excited!!!! It's gonna be a great year
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
TengoJuego
13 years ago
If Harris goes on the PUP list, then I'm a little worried about our corners. I hope Lee and Underwood are working hard.

If Bishop really wants PT, he'd better beat out Hawk for it.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I thought you had to have less than 4 years of NFL service to be eligible for the PUP list?
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago

I thought you had to have less than 4 years of NFL service to be eligible for the PUP list?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

As far as I know the PUP list is eligible for anyone that has an injury during the whole time of training camp...

but I don't follow all of those list... are you maybe thinking of the Practice Squad which has a less than so many NFL years service to be eligible.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago

If Harris goes on the PUP list, then I'm a little worried about our corners. I hope Lee and Underwood are working hard.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

I'm a little worried too. But not as worried as I was last year about the Oline. Or the Dline the year before that. Or the RB situation in '07.
We've got some thin spots but no glaring weaknesses. Except maybe the P, but I have a strange feeling that's gonna work itself out.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"beast" wrote:

As far as I know the PUP list is eligible for anyone that has an injury during the whole time of training camp...

but I don't follow all of those list... are you maybe thinking of the Practice Squad which has a less than so many NFL years service to be eligible.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Ahh, practice squad. I think you're right. You're smart, post more! 🙂
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago

"nerdmann" wrote:

I'm a little worried too. But not as worried as I was last year about the Oline. Or the Dline the year before that. Or the RB situation in '07.
We've got some thin spots but no glaring weaknesses. Except maybe the P, but I have a strange feeling that's gonna work itself out.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

I am a little less worried about CB and a little more worried about Safety. We can probably count Bell in with Lee and Underwood.

If Bigby is not back we are in almost the same position we were last year where if there was an injury to one of the two starting safeties, we had no competent backup to come in. Remember the game in MN when Harris was ripping the backup safety a new one. He was in for Bigby. He missed a couple of games we lost. We actually had more losses with Bigby out than with 4 CBs out.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

"nerdmann" wrote:

I am a little less worried about CB and a little more worried about Safety. We can probably count Bell in with Lee and Underwood.

If Bigby is not back we are in almost the same position we were last year where if there was an injury to one of the two starting safeties, we had no competent backup to come in. Remember the game in MN when Harris was ripping the backup safety a new one. He was in for Bigby. He missed a couple of games we lost. We actually had more losses with Bigby out than with 4 CBs out.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

You do know that we drafted a safety in the 3rd round right? Morgan Burnett. He's pretty good.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
13 years ago
No, Dexter took that into consideration. If we don't have Bigby, then we just have Collins and Burnett. We'll have the same backups as last year, who are marginally serviceable as safeties. Hopefully Bigby will be return and Burnett can come in for rotation or in case of injury.
blank
Fan Shout
beast (28m) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (29m) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (17h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (17h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (21h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (21h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
55m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.