Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Web Page Name 

There are reasons the Packers' coaching staff likes seeing B.J. Raji work at nose tackle in the base defense this spring.

At 6-foot-2 and 337 pounds, he has the prototypical build for the position, and he has the same quick feet as veteran Ryan Pickett, who was the full-time nose tackle a year ago. In addition, because Raji played a lot of defensive end in his rookie season, the coaches like adding to both his and Pickett's versatility up front, with each learning the adjacent spot to provide more alignment options.

Then there's Raji's reason he prefers lining up straight across from the center, right on top of the ball.

"My relationship to the quarterback is a little bit closer," Raji said with a smile.

Put another way, Raji feels his one-sack rookie season did not reflect the player he can be, or expects to be. Especially not after posting eight sacks in his final season at Boston College, before the Packers made him the No. 9 overall pick in the 2009 draft.

Sacks aren't everything, especially for defensive linemen in the Packers' 3-4 scheme, where containment and consuming blockers are often greater responsibilities. But Raji likes his chances to add to his sack total if he's lined up at nose in the base defense and continues to be one of the two primary inside rushers in the nickel package, his duties thus far during OTAs.

His confidence stems from two factors. First, he's fully healthy right now, which wasn't the case for much of his rookie season.

A badly sprained ankle in the final preseason game led to him sitting out the first two regular-season contests and then slowly working his way into the defensive-line rotation. Then, when he was healthy later on and getting more comfortable at end, he was forced to learn nose tackle on the fly after Pickett went down with a hamstring injury.

Still, he did show flashes of the player he believes he can be during the Packers' strong second half of the season.

He got that first career sack against San Francisco in Week 11, buried Detroit running back Kevin Smith for a 4-yard loss on Thanksgiving (leading to a Green Bay interception on the next play), tripped up Baltimore running back Willis McGahee for a 3-yard loss on Monday Night Football the following game, and was in the backfield again to stop Seattle running back Julius Jones for a 4-yard loss the day the Packers clinched their playoff berth.

"It was tough to start with such a slow start with the ankle and the hold on everything," Raji said. "But that's behind me and hopefully I can stay healthy."

The other reason for his optimism is simply being a year removed from being both a rookie and a newbie in defensive coordinator Dom Capers' scheme.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy noted that Raji has a better understanding of the defense this season, and with that comes expectations for greater production. Raji couldn't agree more.

"I know the type of player I'm capable of being, with the extra year and extra technique and going at this defense a second time," he said. "Obviously each day we're installing new things, but I have a little familiarity with it, so I think it's going to be good this season."

The Packers certainly hope so. In a perfect world, the defense will be able to maintain its standing as the No. 1 defense in the league against the run while also generating more pressure from the down linemen.

For that to happen, Raji will need to be an impact player on the interior, both over the ball in base and as an inside rusher in the nickel. He wants to be as close to the quarterback, at all times, as possible.

"We understand a lot of things we do schematically, it doesn't always put us in the best pass-rush situation," Raji said of the linemen. "But when our number is called, we want to be able to deliver."

UserPostedImage
RajiRoar
13 years ago
then Raji tackled Mike Spofford for a 4-yard loss

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
TheEngineer
13 years ago
In the practice thread, if I read correctly Tauscher got schooled by Raji in one of the 1-1 drills. Lovely to hear.
blank
Rockmolder
13 years ago

In the practice thread, if I read correctly Tauscher got schooled by Raji in one of the 1-1 drills. Lovely to hear.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Apparently, Tauscher got turned around against Raji. It was a 2 on 2 drill where the DT and DE stunt. He didn't actually handle Tauscher, but Mark just got turned around, which is something you never see from him.
go.pack.go.
13 years ago
LOVE it. I was so happy when we drafted him, and I love his positive attitude / confidence the coaches have in him.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
I dunno. I don't like the idea that our RT got schooled, period.

And I'd still rather have Pickett at nose.

(grumble)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I dunno. I don't like the idea that our RT got schooled, period.

And I'd still rather have Pickett at nose.

(grumble)

"Wade" wrote:

lol ... I'm in the same thinking. I'm not sure if I like Tauscher getting turned around, by anyone. That's the tough part of going against your own team. The better you do, well, is that because you're good, or because they are bad?
UserPostedImage
digsthepack
13 years ago
Not matter how you slice it, Raji showing well is a huge positive. Defense wins championships, and we should have one bad MF of a defense this year if pass rush is improved, and the back end holds up well. I like Burnett to make a difference this year alongside Collins.

Plus, if Tauscher breaks down or does not show well, I have great confidence in TJ Lang at RT. That said, Tausch is a savvy vet and will be our starting RT after he gets back into the swing of things.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
go.pack.go.
13 years ago
I view Raji turning around Taucsher as a good thing. Like yall said, it doesn't happen very often. So if Raji can do it, that is great.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I view Raji turning around Taucsher as a good thing. Like yall said, it doesn't happen very often. So if Raji can do it, that is great.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

What if it happened because Tauscher lost a big step during the offseason?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.