Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
(mutter... mutter ... kick the shit out of the garbage can ... mutter ... mutter)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
14 years ago
While I will agree with Wade that we might be a little bit over stepping the "harm" angle of most of these morons... it only takes one of them to make sure we regret the fact that we didn't take a more overcautious approach to protecting those upon the field.

Much like the same criticism that was laid upon our intelligence departments post 9/11.. and the now being ultra alert is proving to be effect.. case in post New York last week.

They didn't use lethal force.. hell one might say after the 30 seconds or so.. the kid was no worse for wear.. however if tackled or subdued forcefully he might have lingering effects for hours or days.. not to mention the risk to those trying to subdue him.

Bottom line.. this kid and all knuckleheads that jump the fence put themselves at risk and risk the safety of others in the process.. I see no issue with ending it as quickly as possible and isolating the risk to those that made the decision in the first place to become an idiot. In other words.. why risk harm to another?

BTW.. being this kid was a minor.. shouldn't his parents be charged as well?

CHICAGO (AP) -- With his eyes on home plate and his back to the seats, Tom Gamboa never saw them coming .

One second the Kansas City coach was standing near first base. The next he was slammed to the ground, a bare-chested father and his teenage son pummeling him.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/7287/ 

The taser: a convenient, effective non-lethal way of incapacitating a person, or a potential killer? Amidst claims of misuse, abuse and taser-related deaths, a new study has been undertaken to document the short and medium term physiological effects this painful and common law enforcement tool can have on subjects. Kudos to those who volunteered to be shocked; those five seconds would have felt like an eternity.

The taser was designed in 1969 as an "electric rifle" capable of reliably incapacitating a person by administering electric shocks that disrupt muscle functions and cause extreme pain. It has gained notoriety in the last ten years as worldwide police departments have made it a key tool for law enforcement. With a range of around 10 metres, the taser is more effective than a baton for subduing difficult subjects, and less lethal and invasive than a bullet.

Still, there has been some controversy regarding the use of the Taser in controlling subjects in police custody, including reports of deaths. In a paper to be presented at the 2007 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM) Annual Meeting, preliminary results of Taser exposure on healthy subjects will show that no short-term effects were observed.

Human volunteers from law enforcement agreed to receive a single, 5 second exposure from a Taser X26, a model reported to be used by more than 30% of police agencies in the United States. Cardiovascular and blood parameters were measured before exposure and for 60 minutes afterwards. Systolic and diastolic blood pressures, heart rate, calcium, sodium, potassium, bicarbonate and lactate levels and blood pH were measured in 32 subjects. Systolic blood pressure decreased after the Taser due to a likely heightened anxiety before the test. Other measures changed slightly, but there were no clinically significant or lasting changes in the subjects noted during the one-hour observation period.

According to the author, Gary Vilke, MD, Professor of Clinical Medicine, Director, Clinical Research for Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Diego Medical Center, Evaluating in-custody deaths following use of a Taser is a process that requires looking at the totality of the event. It is like putting a puzzle together. The data from this study help shape another piece of the puzzle by looking at the physiological effects of a single Taser activation in human subjects.

While there is no question that the incorporation of a technology like the Taser into law enforcement leaves open the potential for harmful misuse, this study appears to back up what proponents have claimed all along - that the Taser is extremely effective, and apart from extreme and incapacitating pain at the instant of use, there appear to be few prolonged side-effects.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
djcubez
14 years ago
Since June 2001, more than 351 individuals in the United States have died after being shocked by police Tasers. Most of those individuals were not carrying a weapon. 

Tasing goes way too far in my opinion. It's dangerous because it completely eliminates a person's control over their own body, which is the same reason why it's effective. A person can get tazed standing up and fall onto concrete fracturing a bone. Why can't cops actually be in shape? Tasers really should only be used in a potentially violent situation. I agree that the kid had it coming, he did break the rules but anyone can tell he was just out there for a joy run, so tackle him and stick him in jail for a day or two. Don't tase him.
Pack93z
14 years ago
Noted below.. hundreds of people die yearly from Excited Delirium as well.. post being physically restrained..

Does this mean we don't restrain them either.. because we might trigger this condition?

When the person hops over the fence.. they have made a committed decision to violate the rules and potentially place risk of harm upon another.. at the very least physical harm in subduing the fence hopper.

At that point.. IMO, you take the least risky course of action.. in this case it may be to taser the hopper and isolate the risk of harm to them solely correct?

One could argue that subduing them could terminate their life as well..

My point is simply this.. no matter the course of action you take.. there are risks associated with them.. in most cases of resolving a potentially combative situation is to choose the course with the least risk.. to all parties involved.

Hard to argue that zapping the hopper with a short burst of electricity isn't the cleanest least risky course.. no?

http://people.howstuffworks.com/excited-delirium.htm 

In this theoretical incident, if the medical examiner can rule out the police beating as the cause of death and can find no clear indication of a fatal, biological occurrence, he or she may determine that the official cause is excited delirium. If ever there were a controversial diagnosis, "excited delirium" is it. It's not recognized by the American Medical Association as a medical condition, and you won't find it in the American Psychiatric Association's handbook of mental disorders, but it's the official cause in hundreds of "in-custody deaths" every year. While the majority of these deaths happen in police custody, there are a few each year that occur in residential psychiatric treatment programs, as well.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
djcubez
14 years ago
But imagine if something like this happened .

It's just upsetting that tasers were initially used to take the place of pistols. Instead of being a last resort now they're used all the time.

Houston officers have shocked more than 1400 individuals since 2004. Hundreds of those individuals were not charged with a crime. An audit found that police shootings of suspects had not decreased after the introduction of Tasers in the city -- which had been one of the primary stated goals of using the weapons.

Tasers too often interfere with a basic equation of policing: that force must be proportional to the threat. Because Tasers are often seen as completely safe and non-lethal, they are often used as a weapon of first rather than last resort. They have become less an alternative to deadly force than an alternative to less-intensive policing techniques.

Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

But imagine if something like this happened .

"djcubez" wrote:

That would suck. But WTF is Darryl Turner doing jumping the fence at a pro game? Especially when he now knows that being tased is a possibility.

Again, get the fluffy bunny launcher.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
14 years ago
If you do what the cop says, you won't get TAZERED.
Is that hard to comprehend?
I don't get how someone who breaks the law and gets zapped, how people run to the defense of said person.
Would it be better for 2 or 3 cops to tackle the guy? isn't there a chance that the guy would get hurt from that?
If so....BOO-HOO for him.
The people who died because they were tazered....i'd like to see a breakdown of what crimes they had or were committing before I'd throw out that it was bad that the cops used the tazer gun.
Like i said,........don't want to get tazed??? Don't do anything that would cause the cops to use it.
So.....whose fault was it that the kid got zapped???
100% the kid's fault.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
14 years ago

anyone can tell he was just out there for a joy run,

"djcubez" wrote:

Didn't quite work out for him did it? I'm glad they tazed the dumbshit.
Cheesey
14 years ago
Maybe it will deter some other dumbs**t from jumping on a field and disrupting a game.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
14 years ago

I don't get how someone who breaks the law and gets zapped, how people run to the defense of said person.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Its just part of the pussified world be live in. Nothing bad should ever happen to anyone, especially kids.

There are several schools that don't give out failing grades because it makes the kids feel "stupid". Some don't use red ink because it has been determined that red ink is too "stressful." (you can't make this shit up)

Other schools don't allow the game "tag" because it makes the slow fat kids feel bad.

Its always the teachers fault, the cops fault, etc. Everyone gets a trophy, and there are no consequences for your actions.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.